Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hahahaha suckit dusty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alr
May 14, 2009
Disappointing result but fuckin hell what a finish

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
suck a gently caress Richmond

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
That was fun, I honestly don’t think Kennedy kept the ball off the ground or that it went 15 metres but who cares Richmond lose

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Voice is gone. Cousins sits directly behind me and the old man. While carrying on like a lunatic after the siren my dad turned around, told him he loved him and hugged him. Absolute scenes. What a fuckin game.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Aside from Freo-GC it's been a pretty funny weekend for footy.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Gee, I bet Collingwood are regretting not sacking Buckley every week :hurr:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

No take backsies Bucks

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

lol Melbgawn

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Part of me is just happy when a dominant team at least loses 2 games in a year ... keeps me feeling more secure about the 2000 season. Its all I have to cling onto in football.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Surprisingly not super worried, Collingwood had a lot more to play for than us and seems some of our players felt as happy about working on a Monday as I do.

Much rather we have our off games against the bottom sides than the top. Would want a fair response against Essendon in two weeks while some of the other top four contenders are stealing points off each other.

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad
As much as I didn't think much of Ben Brown's previous games, Sam Weideman has been really ineffective the last few. I actually thought Mitch Brown looked the best of the 3.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Sticko posted:

As much as I didn't think much of Ben Brown's previous games, Sam Weideman has been really ineffective the last few. I actually thought Mitch Brown looked the best of the 3.

2 marks combined between fritsch McDonald and weideman lol

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Richmond have too easy a run from here to not make finals (7/9 games against bottom 10) but the loss last night might be what costs them a top 4 spot.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Fascinating situation going on at the moment with David Mackay being sent to the tribunal, initially with no charge at all. After loads of media backlash the AFL has now retroactively added some kind of generic rough conduct charge. He collided with Clark in the match against St Kilda and Clark ended up with a broken jaw.

The general consensus seems to be that it was a pure footy collision, two guys with their eyes on the ball, and that Mackay was trying to gather the ball, and just turned his body to protect himself when contact became inevitable. I'm not sure I buy that... I think Mackay was absolutely intending to hurt Clark, but hey, judge for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pahVIxFM6q0

The AFL has effectively signposted the case as a line in the sand. If they accept that Mackay was playing the ball and wasn't intending to bump (although obviously he didn't try to avoid it either), then they will have to decide whether a player can still be suspended for an unintentional bump that leads to an injury. Clearly this opens a massive can of worms as this kind of thing happens all the time, albeit not usually with such force. And then, if they do find him guilty, what is the penalty? Clearly if this was an intentional bump, it would be graded very harshly, high contact and severe impact.

Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 14, 2021

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
They can just say he intended to bump, because that’s what it looks like to me. He wasn’t running at the ball he was running at the player. He very clearly ran past the ball with a lot of force

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lol get in the bin you loving garbage spewing idiot Caro

https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1404415391372398599?s=20

Basically blaming Ross and Membrey for the saints season being over because they chose not to be away from their partners for an extended period, one of whom has 5 week old twins, and the other due to give birth in a week.

What an absolute loving crock of poo poo, the saints should be loving applauded for putting their players families first, heaps of clubs talk the talk but to date few have actually delivered.

Also this is from Wilson who a week ago was on leave from work to visit her new grandchild in the loving plague lands of Europe during a pandemic, absolute hypocrite.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

cmndstab posted:

Fascinating situation going on at the moment with David Mackay being sent to the tribunal, initially with no charge at all. After loads of media backlash the AFL has now retroactively added some kind of generic rough conduct charge. He collided with Clark in the match against St Kilda and Clark ended up with a broken jaw.

The general consensus seems to be that it was a pure footy collision, two guys with their eyes on the ball, and that Mackay was trying to gather the ball, and just turned his body to protect himself when contact became inevitable. I'm not sure I buy that... I think Mackay was absolutely intending to hurt Clark, but hey, judge for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pahVIxFM6q0

The AFL has effectively signposted the case as a line in the sand. If they accept that Mackay was playing the ball and wasn't intending to bump (although obviously he didn't try to avoid it either), then they will have to decide whether a player can still be suspended for an unintentional bump that leads to an injury. Clearly this opens a massive can of worms as this kind of thing happens all the time, albeit not usually with such force. And then, if they do find him guilty, what is the penalty? Clearly if this was an intentional bump, it would be graded very harshly, high contact and severe impact.

Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

You can get four weeks for a tackle if you do it in a way that completely disregards the other player safety so I’m more than okay with him getting four weeks for this.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

realbez posted:

They can just say he intended to bump, because that’s what it looks like to me. He wasn’t running at the ball he was running at the player. He very clearly ran past the ball with a lot of force

Yeah it will be this, they already set the precedent with Lachie Plowman a few weeks ago where the appeal board was told by the director that they weren't allowed to consider the incident a marking contest (leaving a bump the only option). He got 2 weeks for it.

Its clear the AFL are punishing the outcome instead of intent, which is not necessarily bad but they could at least make that official so players know the expectations. But that also opens up a can of worms for cases where teammates accidentally collide with each other and cause injuries.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

Basically blaming Ross and Membrey for the saints season being over because they chose not to be away from their partners for an extended period, one of whom has 5 week old twins, and the other due to give birth in a week.

What an absolute loving crock of poo poo, the saints should be loving applauded for putting their players families first, heaps of clubs talk the talk but to date few have actually delivered.

Also this is from Wilson who a week ago was on leave from work to visit her new grandchild in the loving plague lands of Europe during a pandemic, absolute hypocrite.

Riiiight Caro, I'm sure those two would have stopped us giving up a 6 goal to zero lead :jerkbag:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

monolithburger posted:

Riiiight Caro, I'm sure those two would have stopped us giving up a 6 goal to zero lead :jerkbag:

Also, the Saints season was over weeks ago so acting like this was some key game that they had to win to make finals is just stupid.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I think she’s gone and said that the only reason Tim Watson is mad at her for saying that is because he’s still got a chip on his shoulder over her reporting of the Essendon drugs stuff.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

I think she’s gone and said that the only reason Tim Watson is mad at her for saying that is because he’s still got a chip on his shoulder over her reporting of the Essendon drugs stuff.

More likely that he’s got a chip on his shoulder for talking dumb poo poo about Tim’s nephew (seb)

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

I flat out cannot believe she said this. It's absolutely hosed.

It'd be bad enough on it's own, but add in her own recent leave - get FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED CARO.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

gently caress off Caro. Is and always was a gossip journalist. What Lloyd said was all there was to it - unless you know the emotional state of those involved, don't comment.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The interesting angle to it is that it sounds almost like she got a bit of inside word from someone at the club which is a bit poo poo for the players involved (if true).

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

The interesting angle to it is that it sounds almost like she got a bit of inside word from someone at the club which is a bit poo poo for the players involved (if true).

She equally possibly could have just made the whine thing up

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

You'd hope so for the players' sake although it kinda adds to the already overpowering aura of shittiness surrounding AFL journalism

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

realbez posted:

I thought so too. They hit the ball at the same time more or less but its obvious Mackay had zero interest in not plowing straight through the opposition rather then picking up the ball. Usually the other player is just winded and all is fine but this time he was reckless and broke his jaw. I dont think it was a dirty act really but you cant just take out another player and expect to not get potentially banned for the injury.

Windmill Hut posted:

I flat out cannot believe she said this. It's absolutely hosed.

It'd be bad enough on it's own, but add in her own recent leave - get FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED CARO.

Post natal depression is a serious issue and if Ross' wife was having any sort of issue post birth that absolutely Ross should be going back to look after his family. I mean, gently caress what a huge carry on. We were done with finals completely after not beating sydney. This was a nothing game as will all the others from here on.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The article in The Age this morning certainly suggests she’s getting inside information from the club about how people there are pissed off at them missing the game. What a shitshow.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I’m sure going behind the players’ backs and talking to the media about them is going to really improve their commitment to the club.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The idea that “other family is around” is bullshit, we have no idea (and shouldn’t have any idea) on their relationship to family and whether they’re able to get support. Even if they are it’s not remotely the same as having your co-parent there

The fact that Wilson went digging around to see if Ross’s twins had any medical issues is just loving revolting.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I she just being a muckraker/gossip columnist? How is this of interest to the broader AFL community?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Some comments from Matt Finnis about Ross and Membrey going home:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/632066/-disappointed-but-understanding-saints-debated-key-pair-s-family-leave

quote:

"Like any organisation that's in a highly competitive industry, we debate these decisions," Finnis told SEN radio on Wednesday morning.

"But once decisions are made, we get behind the players and we give them our support and we get on with our business.

"What we did was to check if there's anything more that the club could do to help the guys feel support.

"We'll always put family first and they'll be supported with those decisions.

"You can be disappointed, but you can be understanding. I don't think emotions are mutually exclusive."

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Caroline Wilson should know better than to go with the angle of criticising the players herself, but it looks to me like she’s, perhaps unintentionally, exposed the saints as having been poo poo to them about it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

St Kilda taking the Collingwood approach to finding cap space next year

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Ross said the twins were around five weeks old, right?

That is absolute peak time for post-natal depression and with twins as well, it's a nightmare. Babies often stop sleeping well around a month in and will go through periods where they're waking you up every thirty minutes or so with crying, and every couple of hours to feed. There was a point around 5 weeks in with both my daughters where my wife and I were sleeping in separate rooms just so one of us would get some sleep (we bottle fed thankfully, so I could do the feeds), alternating who got to sleep from one night to the next. I can't imagine doing it with two babies at once. If she's feeding at the breast, she needs to be up multiple times a night to feed. And even if she's expressing, she still needs to get up at least once a night to pump. Having your partner there to help out, or even just to offer emotional support, is just massive. It's immeasurable.

And they've got another kid too, I'm assuming around toddler age. That just adds an extra complication. Our eldest daughter got woken up a few times by the baby crying, and then wouldn't go back to sleep again. It was enough to bring you to tears.

It sounds like Ross planned to fly in and fly out and just got caught out with the Covid restrictions. Bad luck, but family absolutely needs to come first here and three kids of that age are impossible to manage on your own, even without trying to deal with recovering from having recently given birth to twins.

Solemn Sloth posted:

The idea that “other family is around” is bullshit, we have no idea (and shouldn’t have any idea) on their relationship to family and whether they’re able to get support. Even if they are it’s not remotely the same as having your co-parent there

Agreed, having other family around isn't going to do much when you have two babies screaming for yet another feed at 2AM and you just need some loving sleep.

We got so much support from all four grandparents, and still do, and I was able to completely reorganise my work schedule around me doing all the night time feeds and then sleeping in until the afternoon, and yet my wife still suffered terribly from post-natal depression. I dread the thought that she would be expected to shoulder the burden without me there. Even with my youngest now sixteen months old, I still feel guilty when I head out to play sport one night a week and leave my wife on her own with the girls for a few hours.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 16, 2021

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
And, putting all that aside, honestly, if those two players are the difference between them scraping a win against the Crows or not, they're going nowhere this year anyway.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The big brush stroke issue is: Family, (especially 5 week old twins and a partner with potential Post Partum Depression), is more important than a single game of football.

Full Stop.

And whilst clubs like to talk about "professionalism" and "loyalty", and "giving it all for the team" etc. and so forth, the above still stands.

It is a lovely thing for St. Kilda to criticize the players internally for placing family over footy, and it is a lovely thing for Caroline Wilson to do so publicly.

Another angle of looking at it is that this might be the "line in the sand" where the players are saying "I don't care how disappointed you are in us, we will choose family over footy. Whatcha gonna do about it?" Because if these two are as important to St. Kilda winning games as St. Kilda seems to think they are, then surely you want to keep them and their families happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BrigadierSensible posted:

And whilst clubs like to talk about "professionalism" and "loyalty", and "giving it all for the team" etc. and so forth, the above still stands.

Loyalty is, as always, an entirely one way arrangement.

Screw the club, support your wife. Footy is bad anyway.