Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Saying sir or ma’am is something I literally only say to people I do not respect

Who uses these words sincerely any more?
The military?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elburroman
Dec 27, 2012
Everyone who talks to me now, exclusively and newly and always wrong now that I've started transitioning

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Ma'am this is a riveting op, please go on

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

N. Senada posted:

Saying sir or ma’am is something I literally only say to people I do not respect

Who uses these words sincerely any more?
The military?

The south

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I've always said this to just about anyone in any time it could be appropriate, so me I suppose. I'm the person saying sir and ma'am.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic7pNnL4ZCo&t=868s

feller
Jul 5, 2006

great post sir

feller
Jul 5, 2006

or maam

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

i watched like an hour of this guy's confession last night. thanks for reminding me that he exists. I guess. :(

I mean I paid attention to this poo poo in the video, and the conclusion seemed to be he was loving nuts. He just froze when they asked him why he did it.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I see it written in spam emails and junk mail so it must be extremely common parlance.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’m not allowed to say them at work anymore since I made someone angry when I guessed wrong. Now I just say “here is your order, valued customer” and run away

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

‘sir’ or ‘ma’am’ are the proper terms of address for someone who is extremely belligerent and/or nude in an Arby’s, regardless of your level of respect for them (by default, high)

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Some Doms make their sub call them Sir. That's all i know. I dunno if ma'am is used the same way when the roles are reversed

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Nigmaetcetera posted:

i watched like an hour of this guy's confession last night. thanks for reminding me that he exists. I guess. :(

I mean I paid attention to this poo poo in the video, and the conclusion seemed to be he was loving nuts. He just froze when they asked him why he did it.

to keep in the spirit of the thread, I sometimes enjoy being tied up. It's really not a big deal imho.

June 4 2021
Jun 4, 2021

by Pragmatica
Its the language of subservience and rear end-kissing. I tell people to please stop if they do it.

It's grovelling and distateful and wrong. Don't have a hosed ego and make your waitstaff or whoever pretend they are a lesser person than you.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
get hosed, sir or ma'am

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
sirs
|
|
\/

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

June 4 2021 posted:

Its the language of subservience and rear end-kissing. I tell people to please stop if they do it.

It's grovelling and distateful and wrong. Don't have a hosed ego and make your waitstaff or whoever pretend they are a lesser person than you.

Dude we just asked if you wanted to get some wings and maybe shoot a game of pool later.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

i work in a government call center. i'm going to say sir or ma'am by default (yes, genuinely in a respectful tone) largely because i'm here to help, not be a jerk, but we still aren't friends (especially if you ask me for the impossible). if i get it wrong or can't tell, i'll apologize, ask you directly your preferred term of address, and move on. if you still want to make it a thing after that, you can, but my upper management will probably shrug at the idea i could have done anything else

June 4 2021 posted:

i hope you stop with just asking people to not use sir/ma'am and don't go into a spiel. service people have enough trouble getting through their jobs without you getting pissy at their scripts. you don't like the script, take it up with the rest of the society that responds better to that than calling everyone "dude" or "bro" etc

ps if you are able to use sir/ma'am genuinely back then the respect is reciprocated and they aren't lessers anymore, hth

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

M’lady.

*tips fedora*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ-MtP_LDXU

Note: Sly & the Family Stone is WAY cooler than any neckbeard fedora-having dweeb.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Is this the honeypot thread

Dwarf Named Magnus
Jul 27, 2019
just call everyone comrade, problem solved

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dwarf Named Magnus posted:

This would probably be the most hilarious way to get fired from my job

I'm considering it

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I can't remember the last time I used either of them. I hate those words with a passion.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The idea of calling a customer sir or ma'am in my retail days made me gag, so I never did it. No bitchmade rear end in a top hat who is acting like I'm your servant I will not bestow upon you honorifics you wretched rear end fucker!!!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm painfully southern and "pardon me ma'am" or "pardon me sir" is pretty common down here. but if you're saying both, that's weird. As non-binary and genderfluid folks show up down here (we don't exactly have a lot of pronoun changes in my neck of the woods) I expect sirs and maams to fade away bit by bit, but if it's an older cis-appearing person you're likely good to use the visibly assumptive pronoun in this area.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
When I pay $11 to see a movie I expect the staff to treat me with respect

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I’m partial to chief. Man or woman.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

sir... SIR. Sir please, sir, SIR if you would only... SIR PLEASE

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

When I lifeguarded I would use then while addressing kids because watching them get confused as hell was great.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Szyznyk posted:

I’m partial to chief. Man or woman.

Final Fantasy 11 inexplicably had an auto-translate tag for the term "Chieftainess" so I've tossed that one out when I need to repel a lady. Ma'am also works extremely well for offending younger women as it makes them feel like great grannies I'm told.

Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013
Military raises this poo poo to an art form. For civilians working with all branches it’s almost necessary. No one is memorizing all the ranks, method of address, which differs from written to spoken, what you abbreviate and don’t, etc. And some services it’s just sir, gently caress gender. And god help you if you gently caress up someone’s rank and they are THAT person. Sir or ma’am is just easier and safer all around.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Hello Buster, how can I help you?
OK Pal.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

BigBadSteve posted:

Hello Buster, how can I help you?
OK Pal.

buddy,

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Dwarf Named Magnus posted:

If somebody called me comrade unironically I would probably spit in their authoritarian, boot-licking face. I would probably get away with it too since I live in the Midwest.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Nuncle or m'lord

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

If somebody called me comrade unironically I would probably spit in their authoritarian, boot-licking face. I would probably get away with it too since I live in the Midwest.

Nice and normal

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"fellow human"

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
hmy ma'an have you tried LSD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Don Piano