Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

haveblue posted:

I also haven't been able to find the shortcut to go straight to the trophies of the current game. Is there not one at all or am I just blind?

The closest thing is hold down the PS button so you go to the Home Screen then it should have like a trophy progress thing for each game on the bottom right that you can select to show them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Spacebump posted:

I just noticed that the Playstation Store let me download and claim something called the Final Fantasy VII Remake item pack for free. It seems to have everything that was in game from the special edition of FF7R unless I'm missing something.
Some of those were also from that Butterfinger DLC debacle.

Cactuar and Carbunkle were DLC locked to the special edition/preorder, iirc.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

haveblue posted:

I also haven't been able to find the shortcut to go straight to the trophies of the current game. Is there not one at all or am I just blind?

There isn't one. The fastest available way is to long tap PS then tap down, right, right and hit X. I think some games having DLC available might mess with this but I'm not sure.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Bust Rodd posted:

“Things are too pretty these days! Controllers have too many buttons!”
-Aging Millennial Digi-Boomer BP
What's hilarious is that I largely agree but not for the reasons BP's saying. It's very seductive to confuse graphical fidelity for art direction, and a few new releases aside the stylized and directed visions tend to be relegated to the realm of the indie or "indie." Much as I love raytracing being easy and accessible now, it feels a lot like we're in the stage of development where we go "can we raytrace?" but we haven't started asking "why raytrace?" "What purpose does perfect reflections and refractions serve within the context of what we are creating?" I mean, the same thing happened with accelerated polygons and colored lighting and all the other fads we don't really think about too hard but I gotta admit my favorite part of every cycle is when we start seeing people not only use the new tech for its intended purpose usefully but start experimenting and testing what it's capable of doing.

the buttons thing i am of course just an ancient nerd and i frequently press a different button than not only intended but also a different one than would have otherwise been useful in a given situation of course i have also been known to fall asleep midfirefight in the division so maybe this is a brain ossification thing

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I think the PS5 controller is loving up the big knuckle on the right index finger. So much trigger pulling and it can provide a bit of resistance, I think the angle of it is giving me an RSI

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

haveblue posted:

The fastest way I've been able to do this is short press home, click on one of the trophy cards that's hopefully there, and then hit the back button to go to the trophy list

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Ninja Gaiden 2 is pretty good, it feels right and the environments look nice. Ninja Gaiden 3 however is a very ugly and stupid game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's the 'fixed' version of NG3 too lol

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sakurazuka posted:

That's the 'fixed' version of NG3 too lol

The graphics didn't get fixed, the gameplay got tuned and the soldier pleading for his life before Ryu cruelly slices him up was removed.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
After playing through it yet again despite having the platinum, I can confidently say that Sekiro has the best lineup of bosses in any game I've ever played. They're so much fun to fight, the fact that sekiro doesn't use builds etc means the developers can go all out in designing bosses that test you. I don't really think of Sekiro in the same way as Souls and Bloodborne, it's its own thing. 100% my favourite 3rd person melee combat system in any game, and it's not even close.

And yeah like the poster mentioned a little earlier on, Chicory is real fun and chill. Shame it's gonna be a little overlooked with all the big gaming stuff happening at the moment.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The chase sequence in Ratchet and Clank on the beetle where you have to take the ramps to land on the ship you're chasing was awesome. So much being able to happen on screen at once REALLY helps with the tone of these action sequences

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Bust Rodd posted:

“Things are too pretty these days! Controllers have too many buttons!”
-Aging Millennial Digi-Boomer BP

I’m playing Rift Apart on the highest difficulty and beat the first two bosses and the difficulty just seems to make the enemies rush you faster and take more damage, but the dash feels borderline OP so even at max difficulty I still feel extremely safe, which is at the core of Ratchet’s combat system. The little mushroom friends are really strong, don’t sleep on them!

Fun guy is so good i stopped using them. Max difficulty ftw

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Healbot posted:

The graphics didn't get fixed, the gameplay got tuned and the soldier pleading for his life before Ryu cruelly slices him up was removed.

They also added more than 'literally one weapon lol'

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s actually fútbol

:hai:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Should I play ratchet and clank ps4 before rift apart?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

No.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Should I play ratchet and clank ps4 before rift apart?

This is my first Ratchet and Clank game and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. They're a duo that have saved the galaxy more than once. That's all you need to know.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Really the only thing the reboot has going for it is the cutting-edge graphics of 2016 and, well, when you have Rift Apart sitting right there that's not worth much

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

The story is vestigial at best and the story in 2016 was terrible, if you care about the lore or whatever you need to go further back than that.

That said the 2016 game was fun and if you have it free through PS+ I'd recommend it.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

In addition, 2016 was based directly on the movie, so there's a lot of differences between it and what's canon to the other games anyway.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
2016 was good (I only just played it) but I had a bunch of complaints and it sounds like Rift Apart fixes many of them, so yeah go straight on to Rift Apart imo. But I’m assuming you got 2016 for free in the PS Plus collection so hell, check it out if you wanna

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The first part of the game you playthrough is basically a quick history lesson. I've never played the others, and I don't feel lost at all. The most important story thing that I can see is that Ratchet is the only one of his species that he knows of in the universe. I don't know if they were a race that used to exist or if he's literally the only one (which it's weird there's a name for his species at all if that's the case but eh) but as far as I can tell that's the only truely story critical information you need to know. There's alternate dimension versions of characters, but the beginning of the game tells you basically everything you need to know about those characters so it makes sense when you encounter their alternate selves.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, I was having a lot of fun with the Yuffie DLC for FFVIIR but what I'm assuming is the final boss is just bullshit. What the hell am I supposed to do about Nero's Soul Erosion? It's just complete trash that the boss can decide at any point to one-shot one of you and the game gives you no indication of how to avoid it. I just died at like 1% HP remaining on maybe my eighth or ninth try (which is eight or nine times I had to watch the unskippable forty-five second cutscenes that break up the phases) because he used it twice in a row.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
iirc there was an intergalactic badman who really hated ratchet's species and they eventually fled to another dimension altogether to get away from him

note that this was part of the pre-reboot storyline, so the reboot itself is now being treated as a one-off movie tie-in rather than a part of the larger series

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

JBP posted:

My eyes run 30 frames but I've got them interlaced so that 60 is also good

that's called strabismus

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not surprised R&C is pretty stand alone since the last original game was on PS3

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

They also added more than 'literally one weapon lol'

I remember running into the shrine of the sword master for the first game in Ninja Gaiden 3 and being so confused when no shop appeared, looking it up online, and recoiling in horror that their truly was only one weapon.

Then I hit some dinosaur boss that since it didn't launch with healthbars I had no idea if I was hurting and after getting bored fighting it and it not dying, binned the game

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I do hope the renewed attention on Ratchet & Clank results in ports of the old titles. They didn't even release the originals as PS2 classics.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

J-Spot posted:

I do hope the renewed attention on Ratchet & Clank results in ports of the old titles. They didn't even release the originals as PS2 classics.

yes and please remake jak and daxter while you are at it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1404113916322619401?s=20

This is basically a teaser trailer

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Also man this game is like what the word "gamefeel" is for. Everything just feels great. Movement is really good, the platforming mostly feels great, the weapons feel responsive, the combat is nice and snappy, things like riding on the beetles feel good becasue the turning isn't poo poo, etc. Also there appears to be a TON of cosmetic poo poo you can unlock. I've got skin options for my wrench. I need some skin options for my hammer. Also speaking of, I love that I can almost exclusively use the hammer if I want in most fights. I love melee and it feels really good to smash the hammer down on idiots. My pistol is fully upgraded already and it's an insane murder weapon paired with the mushroom thing.

Also I rarely if ever have to fight with the camera. A 3D platformer like this giving me next to no camera issues is astounding.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Macaluso posted:

Also man this game is like what the word "gamefeel" is for. Everything just feels great. Movement is really good, the platforming mostly feels great, the weapons feel responsive, the combat is nice and snappy, things like riding on the beetles feel good becasue the turning isn't poo poo, etc. Also there appears to be a TON of cosmetic poo poo you can unlock. I've got skin options for my wrench. I need some skin options for my hammer. Also speaking of, I love that I can almost exclusively use the hammer if I want in most fights. I love melee and it feels really good to smash the hammer down on idiots. My pistol is fully upgraded already and it's an insane murder weapon paired with the mushroom thing.

Also I rarely if ever have to fight with the camera. A 3D platformer like this giving me next to no camera issues is astounding.

Yeah, the game feels great! It's a huge improvement on the 2016 game in terms of kinesthetics.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Adding the Bloodborne dodge to R&C really made a huge positive difference in the feel and flow of combats.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I think Rift Apart might have the best rocket launcher in a video game ever

https://i.imgur.com/37A7q1z.mp4

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Stop making me want to play my first Ratchet & Clank game I don’t need to keep hemorrhaging money into my PS5 lmao gently caress mates

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I wish they were coming out on PS5*, but lol at all the idiots who thought Starfield and Elder Scrolls were still going to come out for playstation. I can't believe so many people thought Microsoft would spend billions to obtain Bethesda and not make their games exclusive.

*Assuming they will be good (lol)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Stop making me want to play my first Ratchet & Clank game I don’t need to keep hemorrhaging money into my PS5 lmao gently caress mates

I'm getting it for sure, but first want to finish the previous game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Not too sad about missing out on Starfield considering I've played New Vegas and have tasted something actually good in that model. If it's good I'll play it on PC when it's cheaper.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Arist posted:

Not too sad about missing out on Starfield considering I've played New Vegas and have tasted something actually good in that model. If it's good I'll play it on PC when it's cheaper.

MS is supposed to be releasing their XCloud thing for browsers really soon. That's great for those couple of games that are Xbox only. Sign up for a month of the service, play Starfield and cancel. No hardware to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Arist posted:

I'm more upset about Obsidian being xbox exclusive, yes. Their new first person AAA rpg looks great.