Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vagabong posted:

Infantry level AA in BF4 being ineffective against planes never really felt important because they could never reliably target infantry; any effort you made to attack air in BF4 was more about doing a favour to your team'ss tanks and helis. When the air in BF1 became able to endlessly strafe infantry, especially on some of the more cramped maps, the lack of effective infantry AA became a lot more frustrating.

It does start to matter in BF4 when jets are relentlessly destroying your team’s tanks, boats, and helicopters (and you’re on a map with no mobile AA) leaving infantry at the mercy of the enemy’s tanks, boats, and helicopters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I was playing some BF4 the other night and on the jungle map with the giant rock in the middle with the caves running through it and the enemy team had two transport chopper pilots that were just constantly running in circles around our team's flags with really solid door gunners and it was a goddamn nightmare.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
What time is the gameplay reveal?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Skyarb posted:

What time is the gameplay reveal?

During the Microsoft dealio, starts 10AM PST.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder if they’ll be like the best gameplay trailers, the videos for Bad Company 2’s multiplayer, or an over-produced, over-narrated, over-scripted, and over-long video.

Who am I kidding I’m going to watch that poo poo anyways.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Yea... That's my concern too... I want to see actual live non-scripted gameplay. If it doesn't work out there's always squad.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's an incredibly tiny thing to read from but the couple seconds of gameplay teaser yesterday read more like stuff you'd see with a narration over it, with the dude looking at the Apache and all that.

Plus unless I'm misremembering that's kinda their standard now.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

I wonder if they’ll be like the best gameplay trailers, the videos for Bad Company 2’s multiplayer, or an over-produced, over-narrated, over-scripted, and over-long video.

Who am I kidding I’m going to watch that poo poo anyways.

Looking forwards to some totally unscripted "real-life" gameplay with the players telling each other about the features in a very organic and natural way. "Dang, there's a sniper! Hey Carey, why don't you use your Demolition Charge Gadget on that pillar to trigger a Levolution Event™ and give us some cover!" :suicide:

Orv
May 4, 2011
BF1 narrated/explanation stuff had the match announcer with the femme British voice so clearly the voice of near-future warfare is a very bored Mickey Rourke.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Hardline had a big gunplay improvement over 4 imo, and I guess somebody at dice was taking notes.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Orv posted:

BF1 narrated/explanation stuff had the match announcer with the femme British voice so clearly the voice of near-future warfare is a very bored Mickey Rourke.

It is the Bethesda/Microsoft conference so they snaked Ron Perlman

"Battle, battle never changes"

Orv
May 4, 2011
Going back to BF4 lately was honestly pretty rough, despite it 'only' being eight years old now, the fidelity of just how shooters feel has come a long, long way. Plus how dudes kinda skate around while sprinting and for some reason the scale kinda feels like it's off, somehow? It's not bad by any means but it's clearly from the before times.

jisforjosh posted:

It is the Bethesda/Microsoft conference so they snaked Ron Perlman

"Battle, battle never changes"

"My... my god, it's another loving Battlefield game."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Orv posted:

Replace bored Mickey Rourke with Rogue Warrior Mickey Rourke and you have a deal.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Replace bored Mickey Rourke with Rogue Warrior Mickey Rourke and you have a deal.

:hmmyes:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Orv posted:

Going back to BF4 lately was honestly pretty rough, despite it 'only' being eight years old now, the fidelity of just how shooters feel has come a long, long way. Plus how dudes kinda skate around while sprinting and for some reason the scale kinda feels like it's off, somehow? It's not bad by any means but it's clearly from the before times.

This is one my biggest complaints with modern games ever since they added stuff like sliding mechanics. I think that's fine but I feel like I'm playing UT2k4 not an actual military-ish shooter.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I don’t mind sliding as long as it doesn’t devolve into dolphin diving. Same with jumping, it isn’t bad until it gets extreme enough for people to jump around corners like a lot of people do in CoD.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

This is one my biggest complaints with modern games ever since they added stuff like sliding mechanics. I think that's fine but I feel like I'm playing UT2k4 not an actual military-ish shooter.

I meant more that animations and movement in 4 have a certain sorta janky, not quite right fluidity to them but I do agree that while sliding is nice and I'm generally all for increasing movement options and the ability to more rapidly take cover, people being able to spam slides like BF5 feels pretty poo poo. A cooldown (or a longer one if it has one now?) would be nice.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Nah in BF4 other player's feet seem decoupled from the ground somewhat

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah watching people run around on the death screen looks really funky compared to more modern games. When they sprint and turn it's especially funny cause their top half moves faster than their legs to their new heading.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

“Those cock sucking dick breathed commies have taken sector alpha. Get your motherfucking pansy rear end over there and get it the gently caress back you rear end in a top hat.”

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

“Those cock sucking dick breathed commies have taken sector alpha. Get your motherfucking pansy rear end over there and get it the gently caress back you rear end in a top hat.”

"Capture sector B 2 you loving amateur, we don't have all day for you to stand around with your goddamn thumb up your loving rear end."

Yeah, I'm on board.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

jisforjosh posted:

Nah in BF4 other player's feet seem decoupled from the ground somewhat

Yea, that is a little odd too but I feel that players move way too quickly in modern FPS games these. It's still a video game but they're taking it to an extreme.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Yea, that is a little odd too but I feel that players move way too quickly in modern FPS games these. It's still a video game but they're taking it to an extreme.

That's just your ancient bones creaking in the wind.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2IMKCGjg6Q

JackFrag's gameplay reveal stream.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

VERY heartening to see jihad jeeping in the gameplay reveal. Tells me their head is in the right place.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Okay that looked sick I'm in :homebrew:

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WomAGoEh-Ss link to the trailer itself

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

That trailer was sick as gently caress

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
e: snoiped

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
hope all the levels aren't as wide open as that trailer makes them look

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
The tornado gimmick is going to get old real quick

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Foehammer007 posted:

The tornado gimmick is going to get old real quick
as if people won't be running NO WEATHER - SMALLEST MAP 24/7 servers day one

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Love the grappling hook, that's gonna be super fun.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

hope all the levels aren't as wide open as that trailer makes them look

There's a container map that is supposed to be much smaller and infantry focused

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I can't help but get hype as gently caress god drat you dice GOD drat YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Not gonna lie this game seems really exciting.

I'll decide sometime early july if I'll pre-order it.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Yeah I want to try beta but looks much better than 5

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The whole on-the-fly weapon modification looks pretty neat, but I'm not sure how much use you'd realistically get out of it for anything except the optics. I mean, what situation could there be where a player would decide "Boy, I sure wish I could throw away my drum mag and exchange it for a smaller stick mag right now".

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Perestroika posted:

The whole on-the-fly weapon modification looks pretty neat, but I'm not sure how much use you'd realistically get out of it for anything except the optics. I mean, what situation could there be where a player would decide "Boy, I sure wish I could throw away my drum mag and exchange it for a smaller stick mag right now".

You never know, drum mag could have a weight penalty that affects weapon handling and ADS time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Perestroika posted:

Smaller Stick Mags will mean greater weapon stability, more accuracy, which is important when you're dealing with more open terrain. Drum mags are for indoor assaults.