Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

feedmyleg posted:

Is there anything else like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy out there? Just incredibly tense and tightly wound spy narratives? I know there's been a decent amount of Le Carre adaptations over the past few years, but I haven't tracked if any of them are as pitch-perfect as TTSS. I've seen the Alec Guinness BBC adaptations and while they're highly pleasant, they're not the same in terms of edge-of-your-seat tension. I could also be open to non-spy narratives that have the same vibe—maybe political thrillers? I'd say The Conversation would maybe scratch the same itch.

I'm probably going to catch Three Days of the Condor tonight, but open to other ideas.

Maybe give Munich a shot if you haven't. Marathon Man is sort of spy-adjacent, too.

Three Days is great but in my memory kind of shaggier than what you're looking for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
The first 10 minutes of Three Days of the Condor is fantastic- I don't remember much of the rest to be honest, though.

Maybe No Way Out? Not the nuanced spycraft of Tinker Tailor but a nail-biter from what I remember long ago...

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Is there anything else like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy out there? Just incredibly tense and tightly wound spy narratives? I know there's been a decent amount of Le Carre adaptations over the past few years, but I haven't tracked if any of them are as pitch-perfect as TTSS. I've seen the Alec Guinness BBC adaptations and while they're highly pleasant, they're not the same in terms of edge-of-your-seat tension. I could also be open to non-spy narratives that have the same vibe—maybe political thrillers? I'd say The Conversation would maybe scratch the same itch.

I'm probably going to catch Three Days of the Condor tonight, but open to other ideas.

You ever seen Army of Shadows? Or Z?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

The Parallax View
The Long Good Friday
The Friends of Eddie Coyle
Get Carter (1971)
Cutter's Way

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Looking for extremely 80’s action flicks featuring fun hokey dialogue, Duke Nukemesque protagonists, sick synth riffs, and lots of over-the-top fun violence.

I feel like my friend and I have exhausted everything in this genre. We’ve seen all the Schwarzenegger and Kirk Russell films from this period. We’ve seen Lethal Weapon, Repo Man, Robocop, and all the other big hits too. Any sleeper hits or otherwise forgotten films that would scratch this itch? Foreign films are welcome, too.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Seen Roadhouse or perhaps Hard Boiled?
'89 and '92 respectively, but they sure feel 80s to me.

I'll keep digging in my brain for one that has killer syths, too.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 14, 2021

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Looking for extremely 80’s action flicks featuring fun hokey dialogue, Duke Nukemesque protagonists, sick synth riffs, and lots of over-the-top fun violence.

I feel like my friend and I have exhausted everything in this genre. We’ve seen all the Schwarzenegger and Kirk Russell films from this period. We’ve seen Lethal Weapon, Repo Man, Robocop, and all the other big hits too. Any sleeper hits or otherwise forgotten films that would scratch this itch? Foreign films are welcome, too.

Cobra
To Live and Die in L.A.
Police Story
Police Story 2
Stone Cold
Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Zogo posted:

The Long Good Friday
Seconding this, it's a masterpiece.

Zogo posted:

Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man
I should really rewatch this, it absolutely fuckin slapped back in the day :v:

Edit: just remembered Split Second with Rutger Hauer exists, you should try that

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Wanted Dead or Alive (Rutger Hauer, Gene Simmons) 1987
Runaway (Tom Selleck, Gene Simmons. Directed by Michael Crichton) 1984
Action Jackson (Carl Weathers, Craig T. Nelson, Vanity, Sharon Stone) 1988
I Come in Peace (Dolph Lungren, Music by Jan Hammer) 1990

Edit:
The Hidden (Kyle MacLachlan) 1987 (This one is good with or without 80's nostalgia.)

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 15, 2021

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

They Live, if somehow you haven't seen it. You mention fun hokey dialogue, well this movie has one of the most iconic action movie lines of all time.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Day of the Jackal
inasmuch as con men are spies, I was also really impressed by The Talented Mr. Ripley

how was Three Days? Still haven't seen it

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/intellegint/status/1382256872560885763

four great movies, any others that should be added to the list? bonus if they're set not in LA

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

https://twitter.com/intellegint/status/1382256872560885763

four great movies, any others that should be added to the list? bonus if they're set not in LA

Body Heat, Night Moves (1975), Klute, and The Last Seduction are a good quad not in LA.

Harmonia
Jul 1, 2014

Origami Dali posted:

An oddly specific request here. I'm looking for movies that deal with people revisiting places from their childhood as adults, typically to uncover a secret or to confront some trauma. The best example of what I'm thinking of is probably IT, where we see the places in the past and again in the present. Mystery, thriller, or horror movies, preferably.

Ok this is not a film but a book:

In The Woods by Tana French

My absolutely favorite book, just what you would need if you haven't read it already. Better not to look too much info about it before reading.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Origami Dali posted:

An oddly specific request here. I'm looking for movies that deal with people revisiting places from their childhood as adults, typically to uncover a secret or to confront some trauma. The best example of what I'm thinking of is probably IT, where we see the places in the past and again in the present. Mystery, thriller, or horror movies, preferably.

It's not so much about revisiting the place, but everything else ticks the boxes for Sleepers (1996)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what are the good comedy movies of the last like, i dunno, 5 years? anything newer than/contemporary to what we do in the shadows would be good

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

ninjewtsu posted:

what are the good comedy movies of the last like, i dunno, 5 years? anything newer than/contemporary to what we do in the shadows would be good

These are in categories I made up just now, each arranged in rough descending order of how confident I am that they're comedies (some are probably more comedy-dramas). Apologies if these aren't your tastes.

Just generally loose and fun and violent
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
The Nice Guys
Wild Tales

Dark and morbid European things around ageing and/or dying
Death of Stalin
Toni Erdmann
The Lobster
The Favourite

Baumbach/Anderson things
Grand Budapest Hotel
Isle of Dogs
Mistress America
The Meyerowitz Stories

Glorious American trash persons with severely impaired impulse control
Uncut Gems
Good Time
Tangerine
Florida Project
American Honey

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, those are solid flicks but most of them are barely comedies and not really what OP was asking for. However, it does point to the issue—that the state of comedy in film is pretty sad right now. TV is doing alright, though.

Glancing at my Letterboxd beyond your reccs, for straight comedies you've got Booksmart, Sorry to Bother You, I Don't Feel at Home in this World Anymore, Popstar, Everybody Wants Some, Hail Caesar, Hunt for Wilderpeople, and Swiss Army Man. For horror comedies you've got Ready or Not, Come to Daddy, Krampus, One Cut of the Dead, and Housebound.

Housebound is the most WWDITS on that list.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

What about Eurovision

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Palm Springs was much funnier than I expected it to be.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sorry to Bother You

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ninjewtsu posted:

In addition to what others have recommended (lots of good recs already!):

Blindspotting (comedy/drama, but definitely lots of comedy); The Beach Bum; The Climb (extremely funny IMHO); Thunder Road (dramady); The Big Sick; Gringo (straight up comedy); The Other Side of Hope (warning: Finnish sense of humor required); The Kid Detective (some dramatic elements); The Intern (if you like Nancy Meyers); The Lego Batman Movie; Always Be My Maybe (nice romcom); Don't Think Twice (dramady heavy on the comedy); Game Night (most people think this is a stone cold classic); Happiest Season (mediocre romcom but I like it); Ralph Breaks the Internet; Uncle Drew (very funny); Deadpool and Deadpool 2; Ghostbusters; The Art of Self-Defense (you need a certain sort of sense of humor); Café Society (mildly acceptable late period Woody Allen dramady); Central Intelligence; Diamantino (very deep, probably you gotta be European or ideally Portuguese to get the most out of it); Spy; Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping; Blockers (I didn't like it but many did); Barb and Star go to Vista Del Mar (really did nothing for me but lots of people adore it); Mortdecai (one of the worst movies I've ever seen, but your mileage may vary).

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The Beach Bum whips rear end.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Is Angels in America (2003) worth watching, or should I look for a broadway recording on Youtube or something if I'm interested in the play?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

busalover posted:

Is Angels in America (2003) worth watching, or should I look for a broadway recording on Youtube or something if I'm interested in the play?

I don't know, but since I'm posting I've also had that on my to-watch list for a long time. I've heard it was cool, a friend of mine who's a big Pacino fan (I am too but this guy is 110% Pacino) liked it when it was new.

My question: some fav 80s and 90s Hong Kong and Japanese live-action comedies? Just looking to fill in some particular niches. And I'm already covered on Chow Yun-Fat, Stephen Chow, and whatnot (Jackie Chan covered too).

For Japanese comedy movies from around then I've not seen many. I've seen Wild Zero, 2000s ones like Calamari Wrestler etc, but not a lot from the 80s and 90s. Aside from anime, I've got that covered oh yes.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

My question: some fav 80s and 90s Hong Kong and Japanese live-action comedies? Just looking to fill in some particular niches. And I'm already covered on Chow Yun-Fat, Stephen Chow, and whatnot (Jackie Chan covered too).

For Japanese comedy movies from around then I've not seen many. I've seen Wild Zero, 2000s ones like Calamari Wrestler etc, but not a lot from the 80s and 90s. Aside from anime, I've got that covered oh yes.

Big post about Hong Kong comedies in general from the late 70's to now:

The Hui brothers comedies, the ones directed by Michael Hui to be specific. They were incredibly popular during the 70's and early 80's and their popularity managed to push HK cinema from primarily being made for Mandarin to Cantonese. Private Eyes, The Contract, Security Unlimited, are the ones to check out. They are very much sketch comedies held together by the barest plot, but almost all of Hong Kong's comedies(even the action ones) and lunar new year films can be traced to those films.

Another important comedy film in HK and Cantonese history is Chor Yuen's The House of 72 Tenants(1973), Stephen Chow would lift most of the poor tenement building comedy of Kung Fu Hustle from here. Chor Yuen also made Diary of a Big Man(1988) at the peak of Chow Yun-Fat star, and it has a musical moment that has to be seen to be believed.

Sam Hui(Sort of the Elvis of HK rock and roll) would eventually leave his big brother Michael shadow and go on his own, with the Aces go Places films with Karl Maka and Sylvia Chang. The first film is more or less the blueprint of the modern action-comedy film that Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung would follow and perfect through out the 80's and 90's.

Speaking of Sammo Hung. His brand of humor in his big series, Lucky Stars(there's like 6 of them, the main ones are Winners and Sinners, My Lucky Stars, and Twinkle Twinkle my Lucky Stars), is very hit and miss(hope you like comedy about horny dudes trying to perv on young women). You might see that Jackie Chan and Yuen Biao also star in these films, but they aren't the main stars, and are usually there for the big action set pieces only.

Other Sammo Hung films to check Wheels on Meals and Dragons Forever for the big Jackie Chan vehicles. Millionaires Express is a lot of fun, and has probably Yuen Biao's biggest stunt on screen, and Pedicab Driver has Sammo Hung having a 1v1 with Lau Kar-Leung, so for a brief 5 minutes you get to see the two greatest martial arts directors of all time duke it out.

Tsui Hark also made some great comedies, mainly Shanghai Blues which occasionally pops up on youtube. The lunar year film Chinese Feast with Leslie Cheung is also pretty sweet, and Working Class, which is more of a Sam Hui vehicle than a Tsui Hark film, is also worth checking out.

More recent, Johnnie To and Wai Kai Fai made plenty of comedies. The straight comedies you have Fat Choi Spirit, which has one of the best Wong Kar-Wai gags ever, the very demented hospital themed Help!!!, and the Eighth Happiness(1988) with Chow Yun-Fat is a big HK classic.(It does however feature Raymond Wong the most boring screen presence ever)

Then you have his romantic comedies. The four Andy Lau/Sammi Cheng movies are all great and Lau/Cheng are probably one of the greatest screen parings in cinema. Blind Detective is my favorite followed closely by Needing You. Love on a Diet is legit the rare funny fat suit comedy, and while Yesterday Once More is just ads for expensive cars and clothing, Andy Lau and Sammi Cheng are just that good.

Don't go Breaking my Heart 1 & 2, and My Left Eye Sees Ghosts are also wonderful. Finally there's the action-comedy The Heroic Trio featuring Maggie Cheung, Michelle Yeoh and Anita Mui being kung fu superheroes. Includes scenes where Maggie Cheung throws grenades at babies. Don't watch the sequel. It's bad, and it's clear nobody was enjoying being in that film.

Johnnie To also made two comedies with Stephen Chow, but I'm not a big fan of either.

More recent stuff, Pang Ho-cheung Love in a Puff trilogy is quite funny and endearing and probably some of the last HK films where Cantonese language is allowed to shine.

Some extra recommendations: Patrick Tam's Cherie(1984) is wonderful and one of the few Cherie Chung films where she got free reign to be more than just a pretty face. Eagle Shooting Heroes(1993) is one of the most talented film crews assembled to make the dumbest film possible, saved Wong Kar-Wai film career too. Chinese Odyssey 2002, unrelated to the Stephen Chow ones, make sure to watch the Cantonese version for Tony Leung and Faye Wong singing about being drunk.

On the subject of one Stephen Chow, the stuff he directed is, with the exception of CJ7, a must watch. Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle are the big ones. My other favorites are The God of Cookery, The King of Comedy, Love on Delivery and Love From Beijing, last one has an unbelievably dark gag involving a PLA firing squad.

For his non-directed stuff I like the two parter Chinese Odyssey movies a lot. Don't bother trying to keep up with the plot and story, just vibe with them. All for the Winner is the only God of Gambler movie worth watching. All’s Well, Ends Well is another big HK comedy classic, great Chow/Maggie Cheung paring, Leslie Cheung making gay stereotypes work somehow, unfortunately has too much Raymond Wong in it.

There's also the UFO(United Filmmakers Organisation) comedies from the 90's, but this post is already long enough.

Finally the funniest Hong Kong films of them all: Herman Yau's The Untold Story and Ebola Syndrome.

P.S: Stay away from anything that says Directed by Wong Jing.

For Japan there's 50 Tora-san movies that you can watch :v:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looking for pulpy, globetrotting action/adventure/crime movies from the 40s-70s. Bonus points for sleaze, fun, and style.

Indiana Jones, James Bond, and really the entire Eurospy subgenre would fit into what I'm imagining—but really I'm interested in anything that goes to a decent number of "exotic" locales. I've seen a handful of the more obvious Eurospy flicks, but I've really only scraped the surface with the Harry Palmer films and such. I just really want to explore the world through the lens of the "exoticism" of earlier eras.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Electronico6 posted:

Big post about Hong Kong comedies in general from the late 70's to now

Much thanks!

quote:

P.S: Stay away from anything that says Directed by Wong Jing.

Too late for that, I adore Wong Jing. Since I mentioned Stephen Chow and Chow Yun-Fat comedies, it would be hard not to love some of his movies. When I mentioned I was covered on those actors, I meant I've seen like 15 to 20 of their movies. :D Big fan.

Thanks again, I've seen some of those, and a lot of cool looking picks.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Wizchine posted:

It's not so much about revisiting the place, but everything else ticks the boxes for Sleepers (1996)

The Bay of Silence.

I thought this was absolutely hilarious.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

couple more on this ever-growing pile:

psycho goreman
bad trip
mitchells vs the machines
kajillionaire
bill and ted 3

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ninjewtsu posted:

Two more comedies to add since my last post: Plan B and Shiva Baby.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

feedmyleg posted:

Looking for pulpy, globetrotting action/adventure/crime movies from the 40s-70s. Bonus points for sleaze, fun, and style.

Indiana Jones, James Bond, and really the entire Eurospy subgenre would fit into what I'm imagining—but really I'm interested in anything that goes to a decent number of "exotic" locales. I've seen a handful of the more obvious Eurospy flicks, but I've really only scraped the surface with the Harry Palmer films and such. I just really want to explore the world through the lens of the "exoticism" of earlier eras.

For these the main things coming to mind are comedy/adventure/action movies, but there are some to throw in the mix. Lupin the Third, that whole anime franchise rules if you haven't checked that out. Miyazaki of studio Ghibli did some good work there, including his first film The Castle of Cagliostro, which rules. Since then there have been zillions of Lupin movies, mostly 90 minute TV anime movies, but they're terrific. Island of Assassins is one that's very James Bond-esque, and the franchise has a good bit of Bond influence in general. Sweet Lost Night, Angel's Tactics (has a gang of girls with guns even), Episode 0, Seven Days Rhapsody, so many good Lupin movies. And globe-trotting is usually a big part of it. (The anime franchise is from the 70s, and that first movie.)

Definitely a fun area to find more of, gotta dig a globetrotting adventure.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 13, 2021

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I’m looking for a good heist film. Something with some clever planning, suspenseful execution, and not too obvious twist as a bonus.

Heist movies I’ve enjoyed:

Oceans eleven
Snatch
lock stock
Robbery
The bank job
The Sting

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Logan Lucky is good

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Heist from 2001 with Gene Hackman & Danny DeVito is absolutely excellent.

edit: Inside Man

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 20, 2021

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Raspberry Bang posted:

I’m looking for a good heist film. Something with some clever planning, suspenseful execution, and not too obvious twist as a bonus.

Heist movies I’ve enjoyed:

Oceans eleven
Snatch
lock stock
Robbery
The bank job
The Sting

Rififi was the origin of many of the genre conventions, with good reason
The Killing
Also, a left-field answer, but The Wrong Trousers is built around an amazing heist

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I’m looking for black comedies. Pitch black. The darkest of dark humor.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Songs from the Second Floor
The Death of Mr. Lazarescu

I don't think it's possible to be even darker than Mr. Lazarescu and still count as a comedy, but I'm sure someone will prove me wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

After Hours
The King of Comedy