Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Has anything changed with GBA emulators over the last couple years? I always used VBA, but now there's mGBA too. Any real reason to use 1 over the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Shyfted One posted:

Has anything changed with GBA emulators over the last couple years? I always used VBA, but now there's mGBA too. Any real reason to use 1 over the other?

Try giving the Emulator Wiki a look.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm partial to BizHawk myself since it has some nice recording options and various other stuff, though it's kinda overkill for someone who just wants to enjoy the Fiesta.

The VBA forks are pretty good, I don't like native VBA just because there's audio desync whenever I record video for it, but otherwise any emulator should be fine for casual play and taking screenshots, including regular VBA. Just pick what you like.

Anyway, a friendly reminder that The Run starts in <30 minutes. Feel free to join us in Discord if you haven't, it's always a fun experience watching it with other FF5 fans!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

RK doesn't even like people playing on emulators, but he also realises that the FJF community is far too small to splinter it further by arbitrarily policing playstyles. Which is good because I'm pretty sure the event would have died out a long time ago otherwise.

Yeah, for a lot of people the only non-emu version they could easily get would be the matrix version, and I definitely would not be playing as much if that was my only option.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Run has started!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
It's 5am, I wonder if I have enough caffeine to make it through The Run.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Just signed up at the last second and apparently I already have Monk for my first job?

SURPRISE EARLY START OF FESTIVITIES?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Nope! He did that by accident, your Monk was lost to the void.

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz
Seeing the Run was today was a pleasant surprise. Gave my 10 bucks.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
:toxx: $1 for each unique (not default or even Cactuar since that's become common) NED sprite submitted for victory. This is per each replacement option per person. So I'll only accept 1 Neo X Death, Yiazmat, etc victory shot per person. I want to see a variety! Max of $75?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Aerdan posted:

Congratulations for volunteering!

Just be sure to Save As when you're done so that you can use e.g. LunarIPS to make a patch. I'll even integrate it in to Exdeath.

Speaking of which, Exdeath 0.7.2 is out.

Final Fantasy V: Definitive Edition

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
What is the preferred platform to play FFV on these days? Is it GBA, or SNES, or something else? Is there a switch version maybe?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If you're talking about actual hardware, the Matrix version (available for PC, Android & iOS) is pretty much your only option. The GBA cartridges are very expensive (if you can even find one that's not a pirated copy) and the SNES version never even had an official release in the West.

If you're okay with emulation, both SNES and GBA work fine. The latter is generally preferred due to extra content, a good translation, more mods, and a few quality of life options (notably the ability to sprint without having a Thief).

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

30.5 Days posted:

What is the preferred platform to play FFV on these days? Is it GBA, or SNES, or something else? Is there a switch version maybe?

Generally speaking, GBA.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 13, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

If you're talking about actual hardware, the Matrix version (available for PC, Android & iOS) is pretty much your only option. The GBA cartridges are very expensive (if you can even find one that's not a pirated copy) and the SNES version never even had an official release in the West.

If you're okay with emulation, both SNES and GBA work fine. The latter is generally preferred due to extra content, a good translation, more mods, and a few quality of life options (notably the ability to sprint without having a Thief).

Is the matrix version.... good?

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
SNES has Project Demi, which skips cutscenes by default and allows you to have the ability for innate dashing and the like. I haven't really had much luck with decent audio from GBA, even with some patches, so SNES is pretty much required for my ears.

Also, pretty excited for this to be my first official 4JF! I used the rules to do my first playthroughs of the game last year and really enjoyed it! Hoping gilgabot throws something fun at me with random.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

30.5 Days posted:

Is the matrix version.... good?

Depends. It brings quite a few changes, some welcome (Power Drinks actually work now) some contentious (lots of exploits got fixed, a few other powerful strategies were also changed for some reason) and the redone artwork has both admirers and detractors. Since it's not emulated you can't change the game speed, which mostly matters if you're planning to do a lot of runs or get stuck with something unholy like four Berserkers.

Overall I think people overstate the differences. The Matrix version is absolutely fine for a casual playthrough and most Fiesta teams. It's really only a few edge cases where GBA ends up being much more beneficial.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Got a couple of Toxxes this year for the people who are interested!

:toxx:
I'll be donating $2 for every boss that's defeated with the power of !Gaia. Just for the hell of it, i'll make it $6 every time someone beats Omniscient with Gaia as well. Screenshot/Gif of the boss getting destroyed is all the proof I'll need.
Toxx cap: $100

For NED, I'll be donating $2 for every downed party member when Neo Ex-Death is defeated. (i.e. if Butz is the only party member standing when NED is defeated, I'll donate $6. Or if you have two members standing I'll donate $4, or $2 if you have three party members standing).
Toxx cap: $100

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

FeyerbrandX posted:

Final Fantasy V: Definitive Edition

:five:

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Also SE literally just announced a remaster of FF1-6 a few minutes ago, if you're willing to wait (and miss out on Fiesta you coward)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Yagamoth finished the run at 6:20. Congrats to him!

Dragondarch and eLmaGus are currently doing Treedeath. Bowie...is a bit further behind.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/final-fantasy-pixel-remaster

Mega64 posted:

Yagamoth finished the run at 6:20. Congrats to him!

I think that's going to be a bit tough to beat.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

gently caress the chicken knife.

But also gently caress the brave blade.

10 dollars for each person (up to 5) who gets a max power brave blade (or zero power chicken knife I suppose) and then !Throws it at either the gargoyles in front of the Pyramid or Melusine.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Final times:

Yagamoth: 6:20:31
Dragondarch: 6:26:36
eLmaGus: 6:26:40

Four second difference between DD and Magus, wow.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

They specify 22 jobs, so I guess its the SNEs vesrion

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The real question is it if will have the dummy targets and Berserker magic underflow glitch.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Hellioning posted:

The real question is it if will have the dummy targets and Berserker magic underflow glitch.

These seem to be straight up the roms on an emulator so probably.

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
The teaser had FFI & II look like the PS1 ports, while FFIV is like the GBA version graphically.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Actually looking closely, the sprites for 5 and 6 look like the Matrix ones but pixel-y instead of blobby.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, they’re very obviously the new sprites but pixelated instead.

:confused:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

They're not the Matrix sprites because the men aren't all angry.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, they’re very obviously the new sprites but pixelated instead.

:confused:
Not sure how I feel about that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Like my problem isn’t that it’s not pixelated, it’s that the sprites look better in the semi-3/4 view of the SNES version. It’s just weird-looking art and pixelating it doesn’t help, I do not understand why they’re doing this.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Someone in the main FF thread posted pictures of a pixel art book, probably the same sprites.

That loving Sned posted:

They don't even look that bad without the smoothing filter, my only problems are the pastel colours and how they're all perched on one leg like a flamingo.

Why would you buy a book of Final Fantasy sprites if they're not even the originals

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

In light of the FF: Origins trailer, I'll donate $1, up to $25, for every Buttz named CHAOS. Quote this post with a screenshot of CHAOS.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntQ-utIdWWE

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

In light of the FF: Origins trailer, I'll donate $1, up to $25, for every Buttz named CHAOS. Quote this post with a screenshot of CHAOS.

Trailer:

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

Trailer:

Well I readied my wind shrine save like a week ago, but through the magic of save editing...

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

Trailer:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mustached Demon posted:

Trailer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWonderTrickster
Aug 16, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

Trailer:

gently caress me this is going to be on the worst run too