Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm a little hyped, but I know it'll only result in my ultimate disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Have they said anything about how cross-generational gameplay? If I have the game on PS5 can I play with PS4 users on the smaller scale maps? Or will the two versions have completely separate servers?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

V for Vegans posted:

Have they said anything about how cross-generational gameplay? If I have the game on PS5 can I play with PS4 users on the smaller scale maps? Or will the two versions have completely separate servers?

Likely not but they haven't said anything

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

V for Vegans posted:

No idea but I imagine it'd be way easier just to separate the two no?

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
I better be able to use that stim pistol on hostiles to infect them with COVID-2042 that can spread to their teammates.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh goodie more death trap elevators.

I need an average time between cuts on that video.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm just excited to have bigger mag sizes in Battlefield, other shooters have spoiled me on the W+M1.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m not a huge fan of non-standard magazine sizes in shooters because it inherently becomes the best choice no matter what most of the time. Granted that comes mostly from RPGs like The Division where your choices are between “100% more ammo” or “10% less recoil” but I think it’s still better to have the guns balanced around an amount of ammo you know everyone has.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Foehammer007 posted:

The tornado gimmick is going to get old real quick

Wrong.

Really captured the essence of battlefield in the trailer with how many people were flying around in parachutes at any given moment. Looks chill.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Kibayasu posted:

I’m not a huge fan of non-standard magazine sizes in shooters because it inherently becomes the best choice no matter what most of the time. Granted that comes mostly from RPGs like The Division where your choices are between “100% more ammo” or “10% less recoil” but I think it’s still better to have the guns balanced around an amount of ammo you know everyone has.

not necessarily in modern warfare a larger magazine makes the gun much much less accurate.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Tank has 4 seats, so that's up to 3 tank stealing useless pubbie gunners you can end up with.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just Cause 4 sucked but the weather stuff like tornadoes was pretty cool so I’m for this. I loved how the level changed on Paracel with the weather.

It’s like a natural version of the jump pads in CoD zombies :haw:

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

drat that trailer loving slaps. Excited for the game.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I guess it doesn’t really matter what platform to buy it on, I wonder if Steam will launch it through Origin anyway.

Or if you get it thru xbox game pass to get a 10% discount!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Nice trailer but that's not enough to convince me to pre-order.

Any ideas when we will get more info? I want to watch someone actually play the game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Apparently there's supposed to be a closed alpha each in July and August, and a semi-open beta in October.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

Yes because BF4 didn't establish weapon handling trade offs for attachments

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Apparently there's supposed to be a closed alpha each in July and August, and a semi-open beta in October.

wait wasnt the beta in july open for people who pre-purchase?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

wait wasnt the beta in july open for people who pre-purchase?

July is a closed tech test for Battlefield "veterans"

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

My issue with this is if we're moving to 128 players on a map, the already extremely prevalent Battlefield problem of shoot three dudes and be out of ammo for the fourth is gonna get even nastier without extended mags of some kind.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

jisforjosh posted:

Yes because BF4 didn't establish weapon handling trade offs for attachments

It didn’t, at all. All the attachments just gave a small bonus to something with no penalties besides not being able to get the other small bonuses. A laser gave you slightly better hipfire, grip A made your reticule bloom less, grip B made your first shot (and only your first shot) recoil less.

When it comes to larger magazines however those penalties need to be huge because of the numbers I mentioned above. If you’re getting 100% more ammo (30 rounds to 60 rounds) the penalty you get, if anything, should be equally proportional.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Air dropped vehicles allowing you to quad bike c4 poo poo off the top of buildings is my kind of stupid.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

Ah ok I was getting half tempted to pre-purchase in July to get in but if that’s the case I’ll just hold off till October then.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

hope all the levels aren't as wide open as that trailer makes them look

With 128 people, the maps have gotta be pretty big if you don't want a clusterfuck.

God this game is going to be so busted at launch I can't wait

Orv
May 4, 2011

jisforjosh posted:

I'm excited for this to happen and somehow be a big mess.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

BF1 is an excellent example of neglecting to balance around ammo capacity, with the launch Hellriegel having comparable stats to the other really good SMGs but with twice as large of a magazine and it was dominant because you could easily shoot 4-5 players without having to reload

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Iirc dice calls anyone who has played a previous BF a veteran, or did. I remember getting some dog tags in a couple different games saying I was a veteran.

No stolen valor allowed in video game betas.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Send us a copy of your receipt for 1942, 2 or 2142 or gently caress off.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
If battlefield 4 servers have taught me anything, anything useful, aesthetic, something designed by dice as a core design element, an attachment, a gadget applied by the new characters, or just in general thought as "fun", will be turned off at random depending on what server youre on, unless you play on official servers, which will be dead a very very short time after the game comes out.

This battlefield looks "fun" so i fully expect it to be the most hated battlefield.

Edit: GIVE US A 2142 REMASTER EA

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

For a gameplay trailer, it didn't show much gameplay lol

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 13, 2021

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Jackfrags has a breakdown of the gameplay trailer up if that's your thing

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Hoping the transports are as slow a target as shown here!

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Blue Raider posted:

Jackfrags has a breakdown of the gameplay trailer up if that's your thing

33 minutes out of a 3 min trailer lmao

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

It didn’t, at all. All the attachments just gave a small bonus to something with no penalties besides not being able to get the other small bonuses. A laser gave you slightly better hipfire, grip A made your reticule bloom less, grip B made your first shot (and only your first shot) recoil less.

Compensator reduced muzzle drift but increased muzzle flash and gave an accuracy penalty to rapid fire

Heavy barrel reduced spread but increased recoil

Muzzle brakes reduced vertical recoil but increased spread

Suppressors didn't make you show up on minimap when shooting, reduced noise but reduced velocity/damage at range and increased bullet drop

IRNV sights had an ADS time penalty

It was only grips that had bonuses with no drawback

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Orv posted:

My issue with this is if we're moving to 128 players on a map, the already extremely prevalent Battlefield problem of shoot three dudes and be out of ammo for the fourth is gonna get even nastier without extended mags of some kind.

I have not played since BC2, so honest question, but did they remove the ability to pick up kits from dead players in later games?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Symetrique posted:

Sounds about right ratio wise with people squeezing out 7 to 10 minute videos from that gameplay teaser yesterday

SpartanIvy posted:

I have not played since BC2, so honest question, but did they remove the ability to pick up kits from dead players in later games?

BF1 allowed the ability to pick up kits.

BFV only let you pick up their gun if I remember correctly.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Game looks really good. I think the only possible gripe I could have is hamada map size but if they do sector breakthrough then I'm not too worried.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

The Osprey getting dragged away by the tornado was...yeah I'm actually hyped I guess.

Trailer was actually longer than I thought it'd be too, first gameplay trailers for BF are usually really friggin short.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Symetrique posted:

You’re gonna watch it and you’re gonna love it piggy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

You’re gonna watch it and you’re gonna love it piggy

I clicked to check.

At one point he was going frame by frame - pausing to bring us such highlights as "yeah thats an apache."