Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Netflix is pushing the show Manifest on my feed. Is it worth getting in to? Initial promo makes me think of a poor man's Lost...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

According to Deadline Clarice's move to streaming isn't guaranteed as negotiations have stalled between ViacomCBS and coproducer MGM.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Amazon will steal it for Prime

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bo Burnham special was really good, Netflix recommended a show called Manifest afterwards. Just rolled with it, but the first lines of dialogue feel like a parody of bad exposition "you might see us and think we're a typical american family [goes on to describe a tv show's idea of what a typical family is]."

It has three seasons though, does this get good at some point? I like the basic premise but this pilot pretty wonky. It's not bad enough to be amusing, but not good enough to be engaging either.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's fun to see every single joke 30 Rock made about the quality of the programming on NBC continues to be 100% accurate like 15 years later.

Remember when Jenna had to do a knock off Janis Joplin biopic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZzxvAGRHF0

https://www.vulture.com/2021/06/unofficial-celine-dion-biopic-aline-dieu-trailer.html

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Khanstant posted:

Bo Burnham special was really good, Netflix recommended a show called Manifest afterwards. Just rolled with it, but the first lines of dialogue feel like a parody of bad exposition "you might see us and think we're a typical american family [goes on to describe a tv show's idea of what a typical family is]."

It has three seasons though, does this get good at some point? I like the basic premise but this pilot pretty wonky. It's not bad enough to be amusing, but not good enough to be engaging either.

I have never seen it, but the premise reminds me a lot of the shows that sprung up after Lost went off the air. They were all about stringing the audience along for the big mystery, but forgot the little things like good actors and interesting characters.

The fact that Manifest has lasted this long means that either it’s actually good, or that it’s just very cheap to shoot, probably the latter.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

I believe you're referring to Jackie Jorp-Jomp, and it was a triumph.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm watching Mythic Quest and the Dark Quiet Death episode is really good but surprising because it was a departure from what came before it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Holy poo poo I thought manifest got cancelled during or right after its first season. It’s still airing?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I remember it being very forgettable and bad. Three seasons huh.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Well it's not airing at my house anymore, the first episode after the pilot didn't get any better. It also looks like nobody gives a poo poo about season 4 and nobody knows if they're making a season 4 because nobody cares and even NBC forgot about it. I think the whole show was an accounting error

Gaunab posted:

I'm watching Mythic Quest and the Dark Quiet Death episode is really good but surprising because it was a departure from what came before it.

Those vignette episodes are killer and I hope they got more up their sleeves in the future.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Those vignette episodes are killer and I hope they got more up their sleeves in the future.

There are only a couple in the first season, but about half of the second production run of episodes have been various kinds of vignette or bottle episode, presumably because of corona.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
While Mythic Quest isn't always as laugh out loud as IASIP I do enjoy the things they're doing with the characters. I wish it was on Hulu or Netflix or Prime because it's a great show that feels like it's not getting the acknowledgement it deserves because it's on AppleTv. Maybe being there is helping it out though.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is FX's Legion worth getting back in to? I watched Season 1 and enjoyed it but I think I recall that the quality jumped all over the place in later episodes.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, as long as you are ok with poo poo getting weird. Not being clear on what the gently caress just happened is par for the course.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also be aware that the end of season 2 is pretty divisive.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

muscles like this! posted:

Yes, but regardless of how you feel about it, its worth pushing through to season 3 and how its adressed.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

muscles like this! posted:

I'd say the entire second season is the show getting entirely too high on its own supply. That being said, yeah, the third season was better.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
in my first rewatch of Monk since it was new, i just got to the episode where Monk meets KoЯn. and let me say, : lol

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

Is FX's Legion worth getting back in to? I watched Season 1 and enjoyed it but I think I recall that the quality jumped all over the place in later episodes.

As you know season 1 was thoroughly mediocre but ended super strong. Then season 2 and 3 turns out to be a classic case of a show buying its own hype poo poo and it sucks. Others found value in season 3, I dunno. The pacing of the story gets even slower in season 2 & 3.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm with MiddleOne, Legion was bad with some cool moments. I like season 3 the most of all the seasons, but it's pretentious without having the skill to back it up. It's also frequently very slow, and the ultimate destinations of a lot of these plots felt pretty laboured.

There are also quite a lot of plots that go nowhere, particularly in the show's second season.

Does anyone remember Noah Hawley's letter to critics concerning the show's second season? The one that opened with "What is this thing we call TV?", and claimed to have finally solved serialised television plotting? That was a cheque his arse could not cash.

It did give us the Bojack Horseman parody version though, for which I am eternally grateful.

swickles posted:

Yes, but regardless of how you feel about it, its worth pushing through to season 3 and how its adressed.

Some of it is addressed, but I reckon they drop the ball.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Does anyone remember Noah Hawley's letter to critics concerning the show's second season? The one that opened with "What is this thing we call TV?", and claimed to have finally solved serialised television plotting? That was a cheque his arse could not cash.

According to wikipedia: "All three seasons received universal acclaim for their distinct narrative structure and visual style, as a unique approach to the superhero genre."

Was he butthurt over some specific negative reviews or just a pretentious heads up like "hey y'all, I'm bout to do some real capital A Art and you need to brace yourselves."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The latter. Also season 2 sucks poo poo lmao. 3 is ok but still nothing compared to 1. What a disappointing show Legion turned out to be.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I want to know what wikipedia's standard is for "universal acclaim." Not even tossing in one qualifier adjective?! Universal acclaim! Either wikipedia, the website that knows more than anyone else, is wrong, or you guys are lying to make the show look bad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I recall that Legion's season 2 finale had the same kind of visceral difference in audience reception by gender as Passengers did, and that was definitely one of the big problems in the discourse about it given that online reviewers and comic fans trend to be overwhelmingly male.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I liked all three seasons but the pacing is super slow. Less of an issue now though.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Season 2 is where Legion really becomes the show it was meant to be, the first season is good, but a little too scared to get weird.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lupin update now part 2 is out: still a lot of fun.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

Season 2 is where Legion really becomes the show it was meant to be, the first season is good, but a little too scared to get weird.

Not sure we watched the same season

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Escobarbarian posted:

Not sure we watched the same season

We did, we just have different opinions on it :)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

pentyne posted:

I recall that Legion's season 2 finale had the same kind of visceral difference in audience reception by gender as Passengers did, and that was definitely one of the big problems in the discourse about it given that online reviewers and comic fans trend to be overwhelmingly male.

Which was which for Passenger? I hadn't seen and just read the wiki synopsis and this ending almost sounds like a vandal's edit. Living happily ever after with this dude who... I mean I don't even know what to call that kind of crime against someone, but he non-consensually made a permanent terminal decision for a complete stranger because he was lonely horny after a year alone? He picked the prettiest girl like hes swiping on tindr and decided to force her into a dire situation where he's literally the "last man in the world" for her and it works so well he tricks her into staying even after evil deed revealed and made undoable. Just reading the synopsis it sounds like some dude's rapey space fanfic, but you're saying it was actually women audiences who liked the ending? I'm certainly missing something having not seen it, but why would anyone like that ending?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think, maybe, the opposite of that?

Oasx posted:

We did, we just have different opinions on it :)

Just checking, you saw I bolded a specific section, right? The idea that season 1 is somehow afraid to be weird is extremely odd to me given…..well, everything about season 1.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Which was which for Passenger? I hadn't seen and just read the wiki synopsis and this ending almost sounds like a vandal's edit. Living happily ever after with this dude who... I mean I don't even know what to call that kind of crime against someone, but he non-consensually made a permanent terminal decision for a complete stranger because he was lonely horny after a year alone? He picked the prettiest girl like hes swiping on tindr and decided to force her into a dire situation where he's literally the "last man in the world" for her and it works so well he tricks her into staying even after evil deed revealed and made undoable. Just reading the synopsis it sounds like some dude's rapey space fanfic, but you're saying it was actually women audiences who liked the ending? I'm certainly missing something having not seen it, but why would anyone like that ending?

Man Passenger was a really weird movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I remember a few guys defending Pratts character's actions with "So you think he should have died alone?"

That movie sucks.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What if a guy condemned someone to needless death because he was horny brave storytellers asked themselves.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Legion is gonna garner wildly different takes because it is firmly not trying to please everyone, or even a good percentage of viewers. Plots dry up, characters end up being extraneous, there is some offputting thematic poo poo happening there regarding power dynamics and consent, there is an absolute lack of conventional closure and even pacing for its overall meta story.

But I personally think it threaded the needle, the distasteful stuff was displayed and not endorsed, and the characters in the show acknowledge as such, and most of all, there is a constant and ever present effort to use every scene to try impart something visually or metaphorically cool as poo poo.

That's what makes Legion unique to me, and why I think it does its thing better than any other comic related TV show I've seen as of yet.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah you can call it pretentious and up its own rear end or whatever, but I wish there were many more shows that just did their own thing like that show did

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
edit: ^^^^ lmao

I love pretentious, slow stuff, but the problem is that Legion post-s1 is bad at being a pretentious, slow show. I detest the term “up its own rear end” but Legion s2 absolutely feels like Hawley crawling up his own rear end, smelling his own farts, believing his own hype, etc. It’s also the season where Nathaniel Halpern took on a larger producing role, and it’s clear from Tales from the Loop that the dude is…..not so talented.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed all of Legion, but I felt like it stopped being about anything after season 1. Season 1 is very clearly about dealing with mental illness and childhood trauma, and all of the surreal stuff is in service to that theme. Season 2 and 3 didn't feel like they had a coherent theme like that; just a bunch of cool surreal imagery strung together.

Also, making a Legion show where Legion does not have multiple personalities is a pretty odd choice. There is some hinting in that direction towards the end of the show, but it never has space to go anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I also enjoyed Tales From the Loop so YMMV!