Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

seconding this, show us the cat and the dwarf rodbeard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The game was delivered in its purest form

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The real Barkley 2 was the commits we made along the way.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

This is a big win for the open source community

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Finally. Barkley 2. It's all I've ever wanted.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Midjack posted:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the game is out, congratulations to everyone involved

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

excellent work, thank you slamjammer

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pretty good posted:

Finally. Barkley 2. It's all I've ever wanted.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Thanks. I showed it to my cat and he loved it.

men with puns
Feb 8, 2010
Young Orc

come on and slam, and welcome to the nyan

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Hiratio posted:

Laz just told me about this. I read PaperJack's post and... It's just misinformed.

He is correct that there is a large chunk of unpaid work in B2. Most of my work was unpaid and Laz didn't receive a single penny. Among that, Bisse has work and so do others. So why were we never asked about this decision to release the source? That's our work in there. That said, I personally would have been on board with this from the very beginning when I quit, but when this fiasco went down at the beginning there was such insanity there was no getting through to Liam. So while I agree with releasing the source... You didn't talk to any of us about it. Cool beans.

This existed from beginning. One of the earliest ideas in the game was Hoopz getting tortured in prison and then ending up in a wheelchair. The tone of this game was dark from the beginning for reasons I cannot understand. I personally argued against this when I saw these instances to little success.

This is false. The game was unplayable when I came on board. By the time me and Laz quit, the game was workable and it's why we were able to get so much done. Technical problems were not the reason this game died or why people got burned out.

This isn't true. Liam made many unsuccessful funding attempts from various sources during my time on the project. There also was some money that came in from other sources. Also, this idea of silently toiling away... It wasn't like that at all.

There's so much more but that's the most egregious stuff. I don't know why it took nearly two years after no work being done for this to happen, but I don't like how it's being portrayed as this thing where the main problem is that people just cared too drat much. Considering I lived among the people who worked on this game and spent hundreds of hours talking to them, hearing this rose colored glasses version of events is surprising to me.

Thanks for the update - really looking forward to seeing what you nutballs come up with for this game. Can't wait to play it on release day.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Chas McGill posted:

I'm only looking forward to two computer games - this, and Dark Souls 2 Elden Ring.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Was Charles Barkley ever made aware of the first game? He had to have been right?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Someone on the team said he had been shown it at one point, and his reaction was :confused:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Emril showed him the game.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The game will still be out before Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines 2: Seattle Boogaloo.

The promise, you see, has been made.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Finally! Was hoping someone would rip the bandaid off and release the source. Was considering doing it myself but life's been too busy. I guess asking around before releasing would have been polite but personally i'd have said Hell yes go for it.

The Paperjack statement is... fine. It's not malicious, it's just not the full picture and partly wrong but as a final feel-good statement it's fine. There's enough drama here for anyone who wants to know more, and otherwise "everyone meant well but the project failed, enjoy the source" is a fine way to go out.

@GZ About the technical state, agreed that it was pretty good when the project ended but literal multiple years could have been saved by cutting poo poo and avoiding complex systems (e.g. custom collisions, z-height, fusion and all its madness, multiple complete rebuilds of menus systems and whole areas and quests, etc). Maybe that's what he meant.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 12, 2021

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Chef's excellent music (mixed with other stuff) is in barkley2.gmx/datafiles/_audio/Music

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum

Bisse posted:

Chef's excellent music (mixed with other stuff) is in barkley2.gmx/datafiles/_audio/Music

What version of gamemaker would work with this stuff?

Also, thanks I can't wait to listen to this music!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Zarikov posted:

What version of gamemaker would work with this stuff?
The latest GMS1 version, 1.4.xxxx something I think, whichever the latest is.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Bisse posted:

@GZ About the technical state, agreed that it was pretty good when the project ended but literal multiple years could have been saved by cutting poo poo and avoiding complex systems (e.g. custom collisions, z-height, fusion and all its madness, multiple complete rebuilds of menus systems and whole areas and quests, etc). Maybe that's what he meant.

Also realtime combat

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Fuschia tude posted:

Also realtime combat
Eh, real time combat can be easier to do than turn based stuff, if you don't go full retard and stack it with features and hi-def multidirectional graphics. Think Nuclear Throne, an unfathomably much better game with 1-directional sprites, cut the roguelike elements, don't spend excessive time on polish, and boom its a fun decent combat

Bisse fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 12, 2021

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Bargly

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
https://twitch.tv/magicdweedoo doing a DEEP DIVE into the b2 filez

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Barkley 2's source and assets will be scooped up by a new generation of irreverent poster's and it will be finished and released as freeware, intellectual property violations and all

Slip
Jan 20, 2001

Midjack posted:

lol

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

quote:

---

"I'm uploading my brain to a computer so I can live amongst the data."

"Some say I'm a fallen gamer. Others say I'm a fallen angel."

"humongous cartwheel"

"Eat this bento. It'll make you stronger."

"Shark week is the only time I feel truly alive."

"Suck my pog."

"I wasn't even concentrating my energies."

"If you jack your brain into the matrix, you can get a constant video stream of fails."
---

creepypasta scholar

---

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

/gaming_klatch/dwarfnet.txt posted:

VIDEO GAME FORUM
-------------------------
Truckpump

(not at klatch)

Arcade People

(not at klatch)

Subjects:

History
Developer Lineage
Developers
Collecting
NOT SO MUCH PLAYING

But they haves pecialties
"i glitch" "i tas" "i minmax" "i..."

over games

an oldbie
more of an investment to get out

snarky aZZhole

insults intelligence, etc
insults games

j-gamer

otaku
weeaboo...
loves all japanese games

pundit/sales/marketing

yu can see why this was a big seller
consumers
voted with their shekels
stats

historian

DAIS

powergamer

games exclusively for maximizing statistics

hardware tweaking dude

rigs
ocing
etc
tower

reminiscent magazine person

chuck glorpney's scathing review
old pcs
"i remember cleaning the heads on my YB Gonzargoswan deck"

pc elitist

wont touch consoles
for children
or worse

2d shmup arcade man

like recap / icy
insane??????????

personal life man

no games

brony

garshasp the seahorse

mascot of

shitpost maker
ATTN: ______

ddaygold

y2dazz

a n00b

n00b to games
n00b to life?
just born
decided they like games
"just born but love games where do i begin"

-------------------------

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

also this beautiful gem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5GXWyJLa7w

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Lmao

Astounding.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

goddamn i cant wait for this game

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

:discourse:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

this is legitimately a good poem and kind of a beautiful song, especially when he gets into it near the end

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

/gaming_klatch/dwarfnet.txt posted:

"just born but love games where do i begin"

hell, same

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Pretty good posted:

Barkley 2's source and assets will be scooped up by a new generation of irreverent poster's and it will be finished and released as freeware, intellectual property violations and all

If someone did this it might actually be good

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

is that CBoyardee doing the vocals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Wrex Ruckus posted:

is that CBoyardee doing the vocals?

Cboy is very talented but I don't think he has the ability to modulate beyond his monotone