Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Okay cause it sounds like he wanted to see more final fantasy ports, mobile games, and legend of mana remake footage.

Also I just saw that Plague Tale 2 is only for Xbox and PC (so far, anyway), so, well, guess I'm not playing that for a while.

Yeah I don’t think you got the joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
there are at least 3 other things SE is working on that we'd all rather be talking about.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah I don’t think you got the joke

I imagine I didn't. It's pretty late and I am quite tired. Guess im just used to people getting real mad at videogames. Maybe I should budget more for candles.

Bust Rodd posted:

there are at least 3 other things SE is working on that we'd all rather be talking about.

Yeah but...I mean there's probably a good chance that there's simply nothing more to show for them. Putting together a display reel is a giant pain in the rear end for devs. Plus everybody is already hype for those, I can't imagine they need to remind people about them every few months.

Honestly though GotG looks...decent? I'm glad they actually showed some game because otherwise I absolutely would've not cared.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 14, 2021

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
did anyone try that FF chaos game demo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

it's still broken

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Morpheus posted:

Okay cause it sounds like he wanted to see more final fantasy ports, mobile games, and legend of mana remake footage.

Also I just saw that Plague Tale 2 is only for Xbox and PC (so far, anyway), so, well, guess I'm not playing that for a while.

Plague Tale 2 will be available for PS5 according to Asobo’s official announcement.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Xbox presentation was not going to volunteer any PS5 release info, Google anything that wasn’t positively identified as an exclusive

Returnal just froze up on me and now the OS appears to be stuck on the close game screen :suicide:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have turned on Twitter notifications with the hope that I can still download Chaos Killer tonight lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

tuo posted:

The human eye can only see 24 +/- 2 details at one time anyway, so with two of them, you can see maaybe 52...that's it. It's a proven fact. That's why performance mode is way better, as each eye can see 24 frames per second and 30 fps clearly make one of your eyes mostly useless.

hmmm, checks out :hmmyes:

Casnorf posted:

What's hilarious is that I largely agree but not for the reasons BP's saying.

fool fish, i didn't give any reasons :blastu:

Caesar Saladin posted:

I think the PS5 controller is loving up the big knuckle on the right index finger. So much trigger pulling and it can provide a bit of resistance, I think the angle of it is giving me an RSI

triggers suck! dont @ me

:drat:

Kirios posted:

I get what you're saying but PS Now is nowhere near what Game Pass is.

To the kind of person who gives a poo poo about that kind of service they are roughly equivalent. 90% of the rest of us could care less.

Also: screw Microsoft, they are trash?

exquisite tea posted:

Plague Tale 2 will be available for PS5 according to Asobo’s official announcement.

excited for new pigeon engine tech built from the ground up

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Guardians of the Galaxy looked kinda cool but everything with Marvel attached to games just seems like a blatant cash grab since the Avengers game.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

infraboy posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy looked kinda cool but everything with Marvel attached to games just seems like a blatant cash grab since the Avengers game.

Insomniacs Spiderman series are the only superhero videogames that I've liked in like the last 5 years and it looks like that's how it'll be for the next 5 as well.

Edit: Forgot about Ultimate Alliance 3 which was okay but still the exception not the rule.

Geo Fixer fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 14, 2021

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

To the kind of person who gives a poo poo about that kind of service they are roughly equivalent. 90% of the rest of us could care less.

Yeah, this isn't accurate at all.

PSNow is primarily a streaming service for older games. It doesn't have a lot of newer releases. When major titles are brought onto it, they are given a temporary period of time and then are pulled back off.

Gamepass gives you the actual game, not a streaming version of it. It's only been picking up steam, gets a ton of new titles almost weekly, and many brand new releases go straight to gamepass.

You're right that 90% of people don't care about PSnow, but tons of people are using gamepass as it’s an excellent deal for PC gamers. Probably for Xbox folks as well, but I don’t think I know anyone who has the new Xbox.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Megasabin posted:

PSNow is primarily a streaming service for older games. It doesn't have a lot of newer releases. When major titles are brought onto it, they are given a temporary period of time and then are pulled back off.

Gamepass gives you the actual game, not a streaming version of it. It's only been picking up steam, gets a ton of new titles almost weekly, and many brand new releases go straight to gamepass.

You're right that 90% of people don't care about PSnow, but tons of people are using gamepass as it’s an excellent deal for PC gamers. Probably for Xbox folks as well, but I don’t think I know anyone who has the new Xbox.

I think he meant 90% of the ppl itt dont give a poo poo about gamepass

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I think he meant 90% of the ppl itt dont give a poo poo about gamepass

90% of the people who play videogames on this planet, the planet earth, in the sol system, orion arm of the gould belt, local group of the virgo supercluster

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just about finished with Ratchet and Clank. I'll beat it tomorrow night I am pretty sure, and then i'm going to buy Rift Apart and play that.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

90% of the people who play videogames on this planet, the planet earth, in the sol system, orion arm of the gould belt, local group of the virgo supercluster

I guess you're right. All those ppl buying ps5s certainly dont care about gamepass

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Everytime someone brings up gamepass like it's the best thing ever or some kind of killer app I just cant help but lol and smh simultaneously

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's not perfect but it's definitely better than Sony's online service, which is itself an oxymoron.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well thats cool. R&C hard locked my PS5 to the point I had to physically pull the plug and when I turned it back on my save data was corrupted and I had to use the last cloud backup, losing the the entire evening's progress.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

Everytime someone brings up gamepass like it's the best thing ever or some kind of killer app I just cant help but lol and smh simultaneously

Its a good service at a great price but i just don't need to be swamped with games ill play for 20 minutes

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gamepass is a superb value and only continues to grow

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Megasabin posted:

PSNow is mostly downloadable games these days isn't it? Other then the PS3 games that can't be emulated/run locally.

I'm vey curious how Gamepass will continue when Microsoft aren't using it as a loss leader, they can't be making money off it and at some point the deal's going to get a lot worse, either for the consumer or the devs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I realised that my 30fps gaming wasn't doing it for me because I had all the smoothing switched off for movies. Thanks Tom Cruise you ruined gaming again.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Its a good service at a great price but i just don't need to be swamped with games ill play for 20 minutes

I keep an eye on what's on there and literally the only game I've got since getting a next gen console thsts on gamepass is yakuza lad. And tbh, I havent found it to be a great game so far and if I had it on gamepass I would probably never come back to it, but since I bought it i will definitely return to it and maybe find something worthwhile in the latter part of the game that I would have otherwise missed.

I don't deny that gamepass is potentially extraordinary value but it just doesn't jive at all with how I prefer to interact with the medium

And this is before you factor in that [speculation] it will go full Netflix in a few years where subscription costs will creep up year after year while the quality of the content drops off dramatically

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

No poo poo, they're on mobile.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Digitals on walmart if you're quick https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-PlayStation-5-Digital-Edition/493824815

Nevermind they appear to be gone.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fix posted:

No poo poo, they're on mobile.

The statement remains true :colbert:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:siren: Warning: You are approaching dangerous levels of fanboyism. Abort! Abort! :siren:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

veni veni veni posted:

:siren: Warning: You are approaching dangerous levels of fanboyism. Abort! Abort! :siren:

BLUEPOINT MAD MAESTRO?!?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

i crossed over a long time ago. there's nothing that can be done. go! just leave me, save yourself!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm so satisfied with the Yuffie DLC that I got re-hooked and started replaying the main story on hard. The difficulty curve feels off, the first chapter is too easy and then the second chapter hits a good balance until the last boss, which out of nowhere made me retry six times and stare at my materia after cruising through every other battle. But maybe I would've felt robbed without a hard check, it's a JRPG after all. That's my only gripe. Aside from that it's a smooth 8-9 hour horizontal slice of FF7R gameplay with characters that tilt toward character action even more than Tifa. And all the action in combat and cutscenes is extremely satisfying to watch at 60 FPS. The PS5 upgrade makes the PS4 version look like the neglected half of a cross-gen release that gets carefully omitted from marketing materials, and the PS4 version looks great.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 14, 2021

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Yuffie DLC was easily worth the 20$, very quality piece of work.

I find with the main story on hardmode you need to swap characters a bit more often and exploit enemy weaknesses a lot more. Cloud's counterstance is incredibly good for those 1v1 battles as well.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

morestuff posted:

Anybody got a recommendation for something along the lines of Hades, Slay The Spire, Diablo 3, MTG: Arena? Thinking grindy, mechanically interesting timesucks that are pretty plot light and pick-up-and-play.

Shooters not really preferred, tried both Warframe and that F2P Diablo riff and they were too complex at this point

Have you ever tried Heroes of Hammerwatch?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
(Going to put my thoughts behind spoilers in case anyone else is playing this for the first time like I did - also I have not played Left Behind yet. That will happen tomorrow evening.)

The Last of Us:

That was quite something special. I wanted to have a bit of time to digest my thoughts and feelings because narratives like that are a feat when done correctly and this definitely falls under the done correctly label.

Joel and Ellie are such fleshed out characters that everything they say and do is true to them. No one pivots at the last minute to surprise you with a shocking twist or acts out. Their writing is solid, consistent, heart-breaking and heart pounding. They are both elevated by the stellar acting and voice work from Ashley Johnson and Troy Baker. The two of them gave so much emotion to the script that at so many times I found myself caught up in believing it was real!

It is really tough to remember that this was PS3 game. It feels like it could have been released just a few months ago. This is a labour of love and the utmost care has been put into making a game that will stand alongside all the classics we think of when someone says 'video games.'

I played on hard at the recommendation of a ton of folks and it felt like a good challenge. I did not breeze through the game at all and so many parts were tough. I struggled a little on the final run but that was me playing not so well and flailing about due to poor use of ammo. I bet if I was to retry it I probably could sort things out a lot better. Emotionally I was so intense and wired at that moment it was bleeding out into the game and it makes sense.

I had played, in one session, Fall, Winter and Spring. There was a lot of game there, and a lot of character development and I absorbed it all in six hours. The next load of thoughts might be jumbled and tattered because I have no idea how to properly rearrange everything I have been thinking about so I will do a bit of a dump of stuff.

Firstly I have to talk about Ellie. Ellie is amazing. She is my favourite of all characters in this story. The affect she had on certain characters and made them open up was riveting. Tess and Bill most certainly softened because of her. Tommy agreed to take Ellie to the fireflies and leave the safety of his commune for her. David and Joel and Marlene I will get back to. Henry and Sam had some real company and joy in their last moments.

One of my favourite little bits of growth was her ability to whistle. Spaced out enough that whenever it popped up I gave a grin that she was improving at it. She was capable and strong and I felt awful for her that she was forced to start killing real people. I never wanted her to cross that line and the game handled it so well and with gravitas. You could see the emotional and mental toll that their journey was taking on her and the brief moment of respite with the giraffe is stunning. Just a small ray of hope in a game where you are grasping for it constantly.

(Now that I am going over certain moments again in my head I am welling up.)

I love that she saved the picture of Joel and Sarah that Tommy tried to give back to Joel. That is what Ellie would do. Ellie was someone I constantly wanted to win and while she got to live back at Tommy's commune, I am not sure she won. I will come back to the ending.

Marlene never stopped fighting for her cause and she was absolutely done dirty by Joel. Reading her journal and hearing the recording devices of those around her I felt very uneasy throughout the whole last section of the game. Maybe that also put me off the fighting part.

David is one of Nolan North's best performances and boy did I have egg on my face when it came to him. As I was playing we got to the cutscene where he pulls out a hidden gun to save Ellie and I then declared that I could trust him because he spent all those hours with Ellie and did not try to get one over. He was demonstrating that he believed in her and everything. Of course, all those on stream who had played it before were laughing at me as the game continued and then of course he reveals who he really is.

If I did not need any before, David is proof that I would not survive the collapse of society. Way too trusting, way too naïve. He was incredibly creepy and that part at the end when Ellie goes berserk on him made me feel terrible for her. Not for David, but for the emotional outlet she was giving. That moment changed her the most and I feel that Ellie was ready to give up there. She needed that giraffe moment minutes later How do you process properly what Ellie just did if your only companion, and the only person looking out for you, is Joel?

Joel is a character who I understand their actions from who they are, but I do not like them. Goodness Joel is complex and easy to sympathise with and easy to dislike and easy to want him to do better and change and all manner of conflicting emotions slamming into you at the same time.

He never got over Sarah, which is obvious, but the fact that 20 years pass before we meet him again from that moment, shows that this dark moment forever directed the course of his future. He needed therapy for dealing with it, was unable to due to the apocalypse and became a pretty awful person in order to survive. Why else would Tommy and him part ways? Tommy is one of the few good people we meet.

Joel looks out for himself, only himself, and has no qualms about stepping on others to get that. You do not often get to play as that kind of character in a game with a fixed narrative. You always imprint a bit of yourself on the characters you play as, so when you get one who does things you would not, there is always a struggle to reconcile. I kept telling Joel off for the things he was saying and doing and especially to Ellie who trusted him and looked up to him.

Joel did some unforgivable stuff because I have no doubt that in those two decades between Sarah's death and the start of the tale I have no doubt he did way worse. He is a broken man and all I wanted was Ellie to help him start the path of coming to terms with the loss of his daughter.

She did, but he went way further than that.

Near the ending someone on stream asked me what I would do about Ellie - Would I save her at the expense of a cure for humanity or not? And yikes that is a tough question to ask because you have just spent an in game year bonding with a character that comes across as a real person. Of course you want to save her. I kept pondering this for the entire rest of the game, and then after I had finished, I spoke in depth about it to Lady VG.

Joel choosing to save Ellie at the expense of a cure is exactly what he would do as a grieving father. He put his fatherly instincts ahead of everything else and then he lied to Ellie at the end. Man. That was a gut punch. Joel is almost acting like Ellie is Sarah. I wanted him to start to accept his daughters loss (I was so happy Ellie gave him the photo and not only did he accept but he started to open up about Sarah) but this is not the way. I think Joel is starting to put Sarah over Ellie and almost replace her, thus leading to that ending.

Marlene and the Fireflies were also wrong for stealing Ellie from Joel and immediately putting her under the knife. They should have asked for Ellie's consent. Both should have. I whole heartedly believe that Ellie would have consented to it. I have no doubt in my mind that she would have agreed to die at the cost of hopefully developing a cure.

Neither party treated her as someone that could make her own decision there. I think she knows Joel lied to her but I am not sure if she knows how she feels about that. I just wanted them to become good friends and help each other out through their journey. That ending is just a wow moment. No elation, no success, just knowledge that something was done for personal reasons.

I start left behind tomorrow night, but I want to play TLOUII badly. I want to know how Joel and Ellie's relationship continued. I have no idea about anything that happens in TLOUII other than Ellie is on the front cover of the game and she looks very angry. This makes sense after everything she went through in TLOU. She was always a bit fiery but the events really did change her. I wonder if Joel eventually confessed or if she managed to get it out of him.

Either way Joel did what he did because he was able to feel like a father again and in an apocalyptic world like that it is probably a rare feeling.

Yikes. This was one of the best games I have played.

Sorry for all the words! I have just been trying to process it all.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Regarding the dual sense and hand soreness, I have carpal tunnel and haven't noticed added strain, but also I dunno of I've played long enough for that to happen.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
TLOU was a masterpiece and quite a ride and you're just in for a much longer and wild ride in TLOU2

Personally I kind of sided with what Joel does at the end of 1

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

infraboy posted:

TLOU was a masterpiece and quite a ride and you're just in for a much longer and wild ride in TLOU2

Personally I kind of sided with what Joel does at the end of 1

That is the thing. I would find it hard not to do the same. They really did bond and he is looking out for his loved one like a parent would. It is an awful thing to be asked of. I think Ellie should have been given the chance to consent for sure, but I cannot say I would take the high road for this kind of humanity when I had grown close to someone either, possibly. Just not sure.

Though we were discussing it on stream and the conclusion is I would never survive 20 years to even get to that decision. I am not that kind of survivor. It was tough and draining and I wish the circumstances had been better. That they had asked Ellie and she had said no. That was never the point of the story though.

What a great game.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

VideoGames posted:

What a great game.

I'm just a bit more cynical I don't think a cure/vaccine is guaranteed and even if one could be created society is still mostly screwed as there are hordes of infected still around

The intro is also always so heartwrenching and gets me pretty good everytime.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Thanks for that post Veeg. It was great to watch you play through the game and even though I haven't been shy about my opinions on the game, you definitely helped me realise that TLoU is indeed an incredible game and I can see why so many people hold it in such high regard.

But I still didnt like it or enjoy playing it lol, but not because it's a bad game but because I couldn't connect with what it was trying to achieve and that's okay I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
R&C is blowing my partner's mind. When graphics do that I know they're good.