Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

I just noticed that the The Infinite Man (2014) hasn't been mentioned. It's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

albedoa posted:

I just noticed that the The Infinite Man (2014) hasn't been mentioned. It's good.

I encourage everyone to go to the Wikipedia page for this movie and read the plot summary, which I can only describe as "a disassociative episode transcribed"

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I watched Palm Springs due to this thread. It's very funny.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Mr. Nemo posted:

I watched Palm Springs due to this thread. It's very funny.

I wanted to watch that movie for months. It's literally not available in Europe. Usually Hulu productions end up on some other network here, but nobody bothered to pick that one up. I think Disney+ has the rights but doesn't really want to release that one.
I couldn't even find any indirect modes of watching that.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
coherence is very good. you may not be able to prove its a time loop movie in a court of law but if you like those sorts of movies you will get a lot out of coherence

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

coherence is very good. you may not be able to prove its a time loop movie in a court of law but if you like those sorts of movies you will get a lot out of coherence

It's criminally underrated, I wish it got talked about a lot more than it does

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Coherence does a thing where there are small bits that don't make uh...coherent sense, but are sort of left dangling, because a the point of time-travel is that doesn't make sense. Like in Primer when their boss appears from the future, and they have no way of knowing how the gently caress that happened, because it's now been paradoxed out of existence.

In Coherence its one of the guests not recognising Nicholas Brendan from her favourite TV show - which is a pretty massive hint that there's some parallel-universe fuckery before the comet shows up How? Why? I dunno, and you're not gonna get a nice neat answer.

It's like how in Looper Kid Blue is totally a younger version of Abe. All their interactions hint at it, it makes perfect thematic sense, but from a plot level it seems aboslutely nonsense that this would be the case.

I'm starting to get tired of intricate puzzle-plot type movies, so I really like it when a movie gives a deliberate middle-finger to the idea that you should be able to "solve" them.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Coherence does a thing where there are small bits that don't make uh...coherent sense, but are sort of left dangling, because a the point of time-travel is that doesn't make sense. Like in Primer when their boss appears from the future, and they have no way of knowing how the gently caress that happened, because it's now been paradoxed out of existence.

In Coherence its one of the guests not recognising Nicholas Brendan from her favourite TV show - which is a pretty massive hint that there's some parallel-universe fuckery before the comet shows up How? Why? I dunno, and you're not gonna get a nice neat answer.

It's like how in Looper Kid Blue is totally a younger version of Abe. All their interactions hint at it, it makes perfect thematic sense, but from a plot level it seems aboslutely nonsense that this would be the case.

I'm starting to get tired of intricate puzzle-plot type movies, so I really like it when a movie gives a deliberate middle-finger to the idea that you should be able to "solve" them.

Oo, now I have to watch Primer again. I last saw it in... 2008. Whoa. Coherence is one of my favourite films. One of my favourite moments in it is when near the start of the film, before anything is revealed - the two guys who were scouting come back, only its them from a parallel/other house party and they're from a part in the plot way further into the film. The look on their faces is weathered and tired and hesitant but and, as a viewer, I felt something was off but couldn't quite place it. And then you find out the whole twist of the film and its like ohhhh that makes sense now. I think it does a really cool thing that I wish more time loop/twisty films would do and that's literally teleport in main characters from the future of the film but they don't give anything away, become intergrated with the plot and I know we're reaching a fractal new leaf to the tv tropes tree because there should be a name for this obscure rear end convention goddamnit

I think all the time loop films I know have been mentioned. But it does have me wondering, what does a time triangle film look like, or a time square one hm. I suppose a normal linear film could be depicted with a vector and a time loop plot with a circle so it feels like other shapes would create other plot conventions but my dumb flatland brain isn't sure what they could be. I suppose a triangle could depict things slowly transforming into a parallel universe, going back in time, reaching a zenith point and then slowly turning back to the original universe but meh. I am aware any shape could depict any time/parallel universe trope but its kinda fun to think about. tickles the brain.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Do short movies count?

Always loved this one,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2roa2AhhgbM

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

happyhippy posted:

Do short movies count?

Always loved this one,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2roa2AhhgbM

Never seen that before. Liked it, thanks!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
melancholy of haruhi suzumiya is the best time loop media ever because it was like the most popular anime in japan and this huge big deal as a revolutionary show then in the second season they got in a time loop and basically just played the same basic episode 6 times in a row and the ratings absolutely tanked and never recovered then the show was quietly canceled forever.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

cant cook creole bream posted:

I wanted to watch that movie for months. It's literally not available in Europe. Usually Hulu productions end up on some other network here, but nobody bothered to pick that one up. I think Disney+ has the rights but doesn't really want to release that one.
I couldn't even find any indirect modes of watching that.

It's on Amazon Prime Video, I can get it here in the UK on that. I'm assuming not the same wherever you are?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
"The Map of Tiny Perfect Things" is a 2021 time loop movie. It's like, hipster teens in a groundhog day situation saying that it's just like groundhogs day a bunch because they are hipster teens.

It's a pretty "meh" movie and a lot of the story beats make no real sense at all, but I give it credit that it seems to allow like, hundreds of years to pass a couple times.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

time loop movies that should have had different endings:

edge of tomorrow: the happy ending here had big "studio-mandated" energy. i understand the original manga had the main character turn out to be a catatonic automaton by the end? that would've felt a little fresher than what the movie gave us

source code: the protagonist, a digitally-based time demon... detective, is framed triumphantly as he walks toward the horizon inhabiting the body of someone he just murdered, with his arm around his next unknowing victim. there's also a "infinite branching universes are being forcibly connected/created by this machine" stinger that seems really brushed over. otherwise a pretty entertaining flick

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
About Time is a pretty decent Richard Curtis flick that has a few surprisingly poignant moments spattered in amongst the romcom tropes and is probably worth a mention in this thread.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

God Hole posted:

edge of tomorrow: the happy ending here had big "studio-mandated" energy. i understand the original manga had the main character turn out to be a catatonic automaton by the end? that would've felt a little fresher than what the movie gave us

source code: the protagonist, a digitally-based time demon... detective, is framed triumphantly as he walks toward the horizon inhabiting the body of someone he just murdered, with his arm around his next unknowing victim. there's also a "infinite branching universes are being forcibly connected/created by this machine" stinger that seems really brushed over. otherwise a pretty entertaining flick

On Edge of Tomorrow: Basically the original way to break the loop was to kill anything with Beta powers, save for one last person to continue the timeline. Killing all the alien betas doesn't work. So the climax has the protagonist and the lady ace dueling to see who gets to see tomorrow. (not a terrible place to end a movie) The protagonist wins and promises to yadda, yadda. Which is uh, not great.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

God Hole posted:

The original source material has a pretty bad and contrived downer ending that kinda of springs on the reader out of nowhere, so it's a lateral move at worst.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The found footage film RWD is about some dudes trying to be famous paranormal investigators on youtube but find something else far worse than ghosts..... themselves!

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

RWD slaps, as is the director's other (non-time loop) movie Tonight She Comes

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

omg chael crash posted:

And now I’m playing Returnal on PS5

If you want to play games with the mechanic, also check out Majora's Mask and The Sexy Brutale. They're both excellent.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If we're including videogames, this one is coming up soon, starring James McAvoy, Daisy Ridley and Willem Dafoe.

https://youtu.be/TSTnOR6yDQw

Also, nobody mentioned The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (or if you did and I missed it, I'm sorry). Not one of Hosoda's best, but the plot goes places and I always appreciate that.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 24, 2021

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

GrandpaPants posted:

If we're including videogames, this one is coming up soon, starring James McAvoy, Daisy Ridley and Willem Dafoe.

https://youtu.be/TSTnOR6yDQw

Wishlisted. Also, you just reminded me of the existence of The Outer Wilds, which I might buy soon.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
How has this gone two pages and never mentioned Puella Magi Madoka Magica?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Are we talking time loops as in "specifically the same events repeating with someone aware of it" or are we including films involving time travel with the ouroboros type of loop?

If we're including the latter

12 Monkeys - Bruce Willis is either crazy or he's from the future trying to prevent a catastrophic terrorist attack that ends the world as we know it. One of those films that pulls all the threads together in the last scenes

The Time Travellers Wife - Might not be to your taste as it's more of a romance, but there's some mind bending time fuckery involved. There's a bit of humour as the time traveller has no control over when he randomly time jumps and appears naked, but there's a lot of "things happen that make sense later in context". It's not as slapstick as it sounds and it's presented as a real curse he's just had to deal with all his life rather than "lol naked". There's also a horrific concept that gets hinted at (merely mentioned off-hand as it's not that kind of movie). The time traveller's babies have the same ability/curse and the wife loses them during pregnancy because of it. But... this means that somewhere an unborn fetus just BAMFS out of nowhere and dies horribly :gonk:

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 14, 2021

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Crumps Brother posted:

I see this around a lot. It's not true. Can you let me know what scene in the movie breaks its own internal logic? And to be clear, the internal logic of the movie is to resolve every instance of the grandfather paradox as if the universe throws its hands up in the air and says, "fine. gently caress it. Going forward from here this is the new normal."

Here are a few examples of this internal logic as shown to us by the movie:
Old looper climbing a fence during his escape and one of his fingers disappears cuz his young self had it severed at that moment.
Diner scene when young looper carves a message in to his arm and it appears on old looper's arm at the same.
...and, of course, the finale which I'll keep at least a little vague for the sake of this post.

Where looper falls apart Is the rainmakers origin appears to be a classic terminator 1 style closed loop grandfather paradox, as opposed the rest of the movie.

God Hole posted:

Source code isn't exactly infinite universes as it is Leibniz' monadology, which I only barely understand. But the me-dumb version is - the smallest piece/aspect/'atom'/ basic building block/ that makes up reality is the 'monad' (philosophically equivalent what the film would call the Source Code) which must contain the whole of reality in it by virtue of being connected to it. "perpetual living mirrors of the universe." therefore the machine virtual reality is just as valid as the real one, even though its you would assume its ostensibly only limited to a small piece of one guys experience.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 14, 2021

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Dog_Meat posted:

There's also a horrific concept that gets hinted at (merely mentioned off-hand as it's not that kind of movie). The time traveller's babies have the same ability/curse and the wife loses them during pregnancy because of it. But... this means that somewhere an unborn fetus just BAMFS out of nowhere and dies horribly :gonk:

That doesn't make sense, because wouldn't the Time Travel have died of that condition before the movie even started?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

That doesn't make sense, because wouldn't the Time Travel have died of that condition before the movie even started?

Going by memory as I only saw it once, but he's basically very lucky to exist at all, and later on it turns out that his daughter can control it so lol girls are better than boys. She actually turns up to play with her younger self at one point . Again though, the focus isn't really on the sci-fi aspects, but it stays consistent to it's own logic and it was a shame that what was a pretty tightly plotted time travel movie was primarily a romantic movie.

I'm not selling this well at all and it sounds awful reading that back

albedoa
May 3, 2004

There is a television adaptation of The Time Traveler's Wife that is in the works. The movie sucked because it stripped out all of the nuance. Hopefully the show is able to do it justice.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Retroactive

where they keep traveling through time and making mistakes

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117468/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Hello CineD I like time loop movies a lot and this is a thread about time loop movies.

Some time last year (or maybe the year before I dunno) I saw When we First Met, which was fine, but also was a Time Loop movie so was elevated to 'very good actually' in my personal scoring system, and got me into a hunt for time loop movies. So anyway, here's a list of time loop movies in order of my personal ranking, with some comments about them or whatever. Also please recommend me a time loop movie(s) or talk about your favourite time loop movie(s) or whatever.

1. Palm Springs. This was really funny and also did a few more interesting things with the time loop movie than most did, with multiple people getting stuck in the loops. Also, this had a very clear sciencey mechanism to the time loop, which seems to be a thing that separates a lot of time loop movies. May be held in top spot partially by recency bias but whatever, I like it.

2. Edge of Tomorrow. Most people have probably seen this, except people who understandably avoid anything with Tom Cruise in it because he is awful. Anyway, it rules nonetheless, and you can just think of it as an Emily Blunt film instead. Goes the sci-fi mechanism again. Apparently we're getting a sequel at some point, which I'll definitely watch, especially if it contains more time loop shenanigans. Apparently it's based on a Manga which I didn't read but read the Wikipedia summary of and decided it sounded kinda dumb, and decided not to read. I saw it when it came out, but rewatched during my time loop hunt.

3. Groundhog Day. This seems to be what most people think of when they think of time loop movies, and it kind of rules. Apparently it's not quite the first time loop movie, but it's kind of up there in the list of ones I could find? This doesn't seem to have a sci-fi mechanism, it's basically some kind of fantasy thing where the character needs to fix his life to appease whichever supernatural power has stuck him in the loop or whatever. Those seem to be the two subgenres - actual sci-fi time machine kind of mechanism/phenomenon, or unexplained fantasy thing with a moral attached. This is one of the only ones I didn't watch in the last two years.

4. Russian Doll. This is technically a TV show not a movie but I'm including it anyway because it's my thread, and it's a good show. It started kind of slow for me but once it got going it was pretty amazing. Bit of dark humour, flawed but compelling characters. Apparently it's getting a sequel which, again, I'll definitely watch. This seems to be the fantasy/fix your life type.

5. ARQ. Apparently this got bad reviews, but whatever, I liked it. Some dude getting home invaded again and again on the same day. Sci-fi mechanism, which the protagonist quickly gains some degree of control over. Actiony/drama, set in the ambiguously dated future where the earth has been turned into some kind of wasteland. Liked how it revealed what kind of setting it was without heavy handed exposition.

6. When We First Met. I made this list a while ago. Maybe this one should be further down the list? Nah whatever I liked it. Was kinda funny. Had Adam Devine doing his Adam Devine thing. Interesting in that it repeated two separate days - one several years ago, then skip back to present day. Also, not so much a clear sci-fi element, as a fantasy one that was somewhat controlled by the protagonist.

7. Happy Death Day 2U. I haven't seen the first one because it was no longer available on any of the streaming services I had available, when I went on my quest to watch all the time loops. Still good even without seeing the first one. I get the impression the first one maybe seems like it's an unexplained fantasy thing, but the second one makes it clear that it's a sci-fi mechanism somewhat controlled by the protagonist. Was unsure about it because it was billed as horror, kinda, and I don't really like horror, but the horror elements were really understated and barely even there, and it was funny and fun.

8. Before I Fall. Some teenager who, it turns out, is awful, keeps dying in a car crash, or not dying but the day repeats anyway. Fantasy and she has to try to stop being such a terrible human being. No humour, which seems a bit rare in the time loop genre.

9. Boss Level. Fun and dumb action thing. Sometimes a little too cheesy. Like I get that's what it's going for but sometimes seems to overdo it? I dunno. Still a good film tho. (With the caveat of 'mostly because it's a time loop movie'.) Sci-fi mechanism and annoyingly ambiguous ending. Also contains Mel Gibson being evil.

10. 12:01. Apparently this is, like, the 'original' time loop movie. Kind of. It's based on a short story. Also, there's a short film based on that short story, which is better imo, and has the dad from That 70's Show in it. Also, apparently the guy who wrote the story, or made the film, I can't remember which, sued the guys who made Groundhog Day for ripping off their premise or something like that, but the only thing they had in common was the time loop, which shows how early they were in this whole 'time loop' game. The film tries to be comedic a bit but the main character is kinda obnoxious, the short film isn't really played for laughs, both are kinda sci-fi in nature, but the film has a time machine and the short film doesn't. Also, the time loop itself (and the name of the protagonist) are really the only things the two have in common, so the film is probs no more an adaptation of the short story than anything else on this list.

11. Naked. This is apparently a remake of a Swedish film called Naken which I assume means 'naked', which I haven't seen. In the remake, a dude repeatedly wakes up naked in an elevator and tries to get to his wedding on time. It's fine I guess. It's dumb. It's a bit funny. It's a fantasy premise of 'try to get properly married in time before the time loop resets'.

12. 12 Dates of Christmas. A very hallmark Christmas movie which is fine. Watchable I suppose. Woman goes on several dates with the one guy and (SPOILERS) eventually decides actually he is a good person that she should date instead of trying to skip that date, I can't really remember, I think she was trying to hook up with some other guy instead? Fantasy, not sci-fi mechanism.

I think I also saw something called Christmas Every Day like 25 years ago, which would probs share last place but I barely remember it.

Also saw a film called See You Yesterday which seems like it almost fits in the timeloop genre but I'm not really sure so I didn't include it. It was really good tho, probs put it above ARQ.

The Wiki page I looked through for Time Loop movies also wanted to include things like Dr Strange based on that one scene at the end, but that's not really what I'm looking for, sorry Wikipedia.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Annabel Pee posted:

Hello CineD I like time loop movies a lot and this is a thread about time loop movies.

I think that you and I are the only two people who enjoyed and remembered ARQ. I actually thought it was pretty cool and enjoyed the ending.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Annabel Pee posted:

5. ARQ. Apparently this got bad reviews, but whatever, I liked it. Some dude getting home invaded again and again on the same day. Sci-fi mechanism, which the protagonist quickly gains some degree of control over. Actiony/drama, set in the ambiguously dated future where the earth has been turned into some kind of wasteland. Liked how it revealed what kind of setting it was without heavy handed exposition.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think that you and I are the only two people who enjoyed and remembered ARQ. I actually thought it was pretty cool and enjoyed the ending.

I just finished Edge of Tomorrow which I really enjoyed, and just heard about ARQ for the first time from this thread. Thanks for the recommendation!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Please don't get me wrong: ARQ is not particularly good but I did enjoy it.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

has anyone mentioned Time Lapse (2014)? it involves a dude who invents a camera that takes future pictures of what it's pointed at and the Primer-like shenanigans that ensue. i'd put it on a similar tier to ARQ in that it's an enjoyable enough netflix romp with some issues

massive spider posted:

Where looper falls apart Is the rainmakers origin appears to be a classic terminator 1 style closed loop grandfather paradox, as opposed the rest of the movie.

which would still support my original theory that the organized crime syndicate's time-fuckery is explicitly having a corrupting influence on time itself

God Hole fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 15, 2021

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Interstellar has a time loop though not a recursive one.

God Hole posted:

Predestination is a great little movie with ethan hawke, not sure how it hasn't been mentioned yet but to be fair it did fly under the radar a bit a few years back. not sure why though, it's one of the best in this class imo. edit: don't read about this movie or watch a trailer. go in blind.

Predestination was great.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I haven't seen ARQ.

I was attempting a time loop, check out the first message of the thread :ssh:

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
There’s a US the series called Daybreak which was never popular but I thought was fantastic. It’s about a police officer caught in a time loop who gradually has to uncover why.

I think it only got one season so some plot points are left unresolved but I remember it being surprisingly good.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Annabel Pee posted:

I was attempting a time loop, check out the first message of the thread :ssh:

Oh god dammit...

<shoots crippled Tom Cruise>

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Charlz Guybon posted:

How has this gone two pages and never mentioned Puella Magi Madoka Magica?

Because no one knows what this is?

God Hole posted:

has anyone mentioned Time Lapse (2014)? it involves a dude who invents a camera that takes future pictures of what it's pointed at and the Primer-like shenanigans that ensue. i'd put it on a similar tier to ARQ in that it's an enjoyable enough netflix romp with some issues

which would still support my original theory that the organized crime syndicate's time-fuckery is explicitly having a corrupting influence on time itself

I just watched it again after years and it still holds up. I love this film, though I wouldn't say it's really a time loop film because they aren't going back. I still think people in this thread would like it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Sri.Theo posted:

There’s a US the series called Daybreak which was never popular but I thought was fantastic. It’s about a police officer caught in a time loop who gradually has to uncover why.

I think it only got one season so some plot points are left unresolved but I remember it being surprisingly good.

Yeah, I remember that being really enjoyable and compelling. Taye Diggs!

I've been meaning to revisit it but it seems I'm stuck in a procrastination time-passing loop.