Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Current Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158872

:toot: The LP has resumed. It almost didn't as I've been having issues trying to capture the game. For some reason, I can capture the game audio but the video became completely absent in Xsplit. I installed OBS as I was wanting to record, but I was having the same issue there too (audio but no video during playback). I managed to get it working with Xsplit in despite the program itself not registering visual content, it finally started producing a video after I stopped recording. Anyway, the main thing is, I managed to capture a video. It does feel a little sluggish at times though, Freelancer was having a bad day today it seems.

Welcome to Dublin, a system that doesn't have a whole lot to see but we will be visiting it again at some point. The system is compromised of two battleships, a station and a rogue base. There are also a couple of wrecks and a couple of jump holes. I should probably mention the massive minefield too which was the bane of my test recording as the ship doesn't move around them as it does with other objects in space. If I have time, I will record another video for the weekend. I'll put some work into it and I will try to record something either Friday or Sunday unless something comes up in the real world.

Thank you again for your patience and kind words. I saw my daughter last weekend and it was a mixture of a lot of emotions. What matters most is that she is where she needs to be right now, she's being cared for by people who are very capable. She has been in there less than a week and she's making a lot of positive progress. She has, understandably, had a lot of tough moments as she has only been in the ward for a short time but she has a good team taking care of her. I'll be going up again in a little over three weeks time and I aim to be going up to see her every few weeks while she is going through this long process and recovering. She will make a full recovery eventually and she's determined to get out and get her life back.

I also hit the 1,000 subscriber mark since my last update too. Thank you all very much for the support over the years! The two most popular videos of the last eight years still make me scratch my head even now, one is from my first LP over seven years ago and the other is from my Star Trek: Klingon LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
Space IRA and cheap gold.
Either mine it for free in one of the fields or buy in bulk with cheapest prices in universe. Dublin's a good place for money making if you can stomach the constant Mollies or get to their friendly side.
Even selling it straight to the BMM base makes slow and steady cash, but best cash is ofcourse hauling it elsewhere.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I was vaccinated yesterday and I'm feeling a lot of pain in my arm today so I decided to take the day off from work. Which also gave me a chance to record a tour of Cambridge, the last system in Bretonia space. It was not a smooth ride of any sort, my test run was a walk in the park compared to what I recorded. The rogues were out in full force and they seemed to be making extra effort to hunt me down, my missiles were refusing to connect and the bar patrons weren't in a very talkative mood. I was getting ambushed so many times it actually became frustrating instead of being an inconvenience.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158892

I'm still having issues with Xsplit since they updated it, Freelancer is no longer being recognised as a game anymore and the only way to capture it has made the output footage a little sluggish. I have managed to get this working with OBS as I was starting to write this update, so I will attempt a recording with it for the next update as it seems to be working a lot better performance-wise. I've never attempted to use OBS before so I will record my next test run, I was going to attempt it for this update but I couldn't get it to recognise Freelancer before now, I was tweaking some things as I was waiting for the video to process.

Cambridge, Cambridge, Cambridge. It does have the nice purple hue of Manchester, but other than that it's fairly standard to what we have seen before. Well, apart from access to the Omega systems it is also the location of the next mission. My test run went a lot smoother than this, I had half of the encounters and for those that I did, I had back up for most of those. I'd like to say that things went smoothly other than the ambushes, but they didn't. I forgot to re-enter the bar in the first base after I initially encountered people who weren't willing to deal with me. I also jettisoned junk cargo to make room for cargo from one of the wrecks, to then immediately tractor the junked cargo back onto the ship and then turned around to leave the area. Then afterwards I took the wrong direction through a jump lane after trying to escape yet another attack.

I will attempt the Omega systems, but if they become too much I will come back to them at a later time. I may also change the weapons setup as well as this one wasn't working out for me. The Sweeper missiles are good in theory until you remember that everyone is carrying countermeasures and you have to rely on a lucky strike.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 6, 2021

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I've had no problems with OBS, and I've been using it to record for at least 3 years by now. If not more. And streaming too.
Once you've set up the bitrate and how you want to capture it's eazy peazy.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

I've had no problems with OBS, and I've been using it to record for at least 3 years by now. If not more. And streaming too.
Once you've set up the bitrate and how you want to capture it's eazy peazy.

I may switch to it entirely if it works well for me. I have the occasional glitch with Xsplit and it means that I sometimes have to ditch an entire recording because of it, I've persisted with it as it comes with a no-nonsense video editor that encodes within a minute or two.

I was only able to capture game audio with Freelancer before but I decided to look at the guide while updating and it didn't take too long to fix.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158892

I'm still having issues with Xsplit since they updated it, Freelancer is no longer being recognised as a game anymore and the only way to capture it has made the output footage a little sluggish. I have managed to get this working with OBS as I was starting to write this update, so I will attempt a recording with it for the next update as it seems to be working a lot better performance-wise. I've never attempted to use OBS before so I will record my next test run, I was going to attempt it for this update but I couldn't get it to recognise Freelancer before now, I was tweaking some things as I was waiting for the video to process.

Cambridge, Cambridge, Cambridge. It does have the nice purple hue of Manchester, but other than that it's fairly standard to what we have seen before. Well, apart from access to the Omega systems it is also the location of the next mission. My test run went a lot smoother than this, I had half of the encounters and for those that I did, I had back up for most of those. I'd like to say that things went smoothly other than the ambushes, but they didn't. I forgot to re-enter the bar in the first base after I initially encountered people who weren't willing to deal with me. I also jettisoned junk cargo to make room for cargo from one of the wrecks, to then immediately tractor the junked cargo back onto the ship and then turned around to leave the area. Then afterwards I took the wrong direction through a jump lane after trying to escape yet another attack.

I will attempt the Omega systems, but if they become too much I will come back to them at a later time. I may also change the weapons setup as well as this one wasn't working out for me. The Sweeper missiles are good in theory until you remember that everyone is carrying countermeasures and you have to rely on a lucky strike.

That was great. Please refuse every mission before accepting it from here on in.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
The Crusader, along with a handful of other ships in this game, commit one of the (according to me) cardinal sins of spaceship design: engines that are obviously nowhere close to lining up with the centre of mass.
As soon as you fired up the thrusters the crusader would just pitch up into a vertical spin.

Funniest this episode, Trent, a guy with a sizable bounty on his head, walks up to a bounty hunter and shows him his ID.
Bounty hunter: Hmm, yes, this checks out. Also do you want me to fix your rep? :downs:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
But if Trent took him up on it, that bounty hunter representative would pocket 51k for nothing

Efficiency in action?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Groetgaffel posted:

Funniest this episode, Trent, a guy with a sizable bounty on his head, walks up to a bounty hunter and shows him his ID.
Bounty hunter: Hmm, yes, this checks out. Also do you want me to fix your rep? :downs:

There was one like that an episode or two ago which I really liked which basically had Trent introduce himself and the Bounty Hunter frowned and went, "Trent? Let me see your card." And Trent just happily handed it to him, and the Bounty Hunter looked at it and then just frowned harder.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Veloxyll posted:

That was great. Please refuse every mission before accepting it from here on in.

I will definitely do so when it happens while I haven't finished exploring systems and I may do so when not, just for kicks. I'll try to put them all in one compilation when the main LP is over, I'm making frequent saves so it shouldn't be too difficult to put together.

Groetgaffel posted:

The Crusader, along with a handful of other ships in this game, commit one of the (according to me) cardinal sins of spaceship design: engines that are obviously nowhere close to lining up with the centre of mass.
As soon as you fired up the thrusters the crusader would just pitch up into a vertical spin.

I think that another cardinal sin is that the Bounty Hunter ships are the ones named after fish.

When It comes to progression, the Crusader seems like a step down compared to the Defender. The Defender was a goal to head towards with a mixture of advanced weaponry to aim for in which to make the investment worthwhile. Now that I've hit Bretonia space, where level four and five weaponry seems to be standard, there isn't a lot of choice within its limits. When it comes to shielding focused weaponry we're still stuck with a level three weapon, we can invest in level four missiles but every enemy we encounter is equipped with countermeasures. I installed two Sweeper missile launchers but for some reason, doing so didn't double the missile capacity. I'm going to continue touring after a test run and I need to make a decision of whether to invest in two Sweepers to increase the chances of a hit but accept that I'll have to replace missiles more frequently, or dispose of them completely and re-adjust the gun mounts for something more energy-efficient.

I decided to enter Border World territory as an experiment for further tours and found it to be a welcome break compared to the hostility found in Bretonian space. I'll continue the touring up to a certain point before continuing on with the story missions.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I said this before, but as someone who played a lot of games like X3, one thing that bugged me about this is that there's a clear progression of 'these ships have better numbers'. The Crusader is better than the Defender because all ts numbers are better. Where as, in games like Freespace 2 or X3, each ship has its own strengths and weaknesses, in this game, aside from some ships having maneuverability advantages, the ships are very much just on tiers, with the next area's ships being statistically superior to the previous ones.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Gothsheep posted:

I said this before, but as someone who played a lot of games like X3, one thing that bugged me about this is that there's a clear progression of 'these ships have better numbers'. The Crusader is better than the Defender because all ts numbers are better. Where as, in games like Freespace 2 or X3, each ship has its own strengths and weaknesses, in this game, aside from some ships having maneuverability advantages, the ships are very much just on tiers, with the next area's ships being statistically superior to the previous ones.

It's been a number of years since I last played and completed Freelancer and I have a lot of naivety when it comes to this LP that I'm trying to compensate for. The more that I play the more I'm realising that my preconceptions are becoming more misplaced. I completely get that with progression it reveals ships with better numbers and although I was expecting it, I've just been hit a glut with being able to actually equip them effectively. It's the polar opposite with Liberty where I had a lot of options available but no money to actually buy them. I'd like to think that this was a well thought out part of the game where the developers made you carefully consider your status and how to proceed with it. Right now I'm thinking of ditching level four equipment in favour of a couple of level three Stunpulses.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I think that I've figured out some more performance issues with Freelancer relating to the compatibility settings. I'm going to attempt a recording with OBS and I'm hoping things go a lot smoother than with previous recordings. Since I've been fiddling around it seems like Xsplit has suddenly remembered that the Freelancer window exists but it's still refusing to register any graphics.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I always remember this part of the game feeling the slowest and the toughest to get through. I think the story only just kicking in now and the uninspired weapon and ship options might be the reason for that.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Gothsheep posted:

it's a huge problem with the game in general. Because everything is level based, Liberty space is no threat once you have Bretonian gear etc. Like, Bretonian ships are just all around better (aside from the starter ship having apparently the best manueverability in the game)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158931

I was expecting Omega 3 to be more imposing but it turned into a bit of a welcome break from the aggression that I was receiving in Bretonian space. I'm not going to venture too far off of the beaten track, I'll try to explore the Omega systems before continuing on with the next story mission. There isn't a whole lot to see in Omega 3, there is one jump hole, a couple of jump gates and three bases mostly filled with uncooperative people.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

On second thoughts, let's not go to Omega 5. 'Tis a silly place!

I'll come back to it later when I've got a better ship and equipment. I'll give Omega 7 a shot and if I'm experiencing similar issues I'll move on to the next story mission.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hahahaha, I was waiting for this.

Yeah, uh, that's the first interaction most people have with that system.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Yeah, Omega 5 is not a hospitable system, and I never bother until I have a much better ship. There's also little of interest there, so it's no loss if you're skipping it for now.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
lmao

I just looked up omega 5 to refresh my memory and I too understand why you're skipping it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Omega 7 more trouble than what it was worth at the moment so I'll tour them when we're further along in the story. I just thought that I'd attempt them because they were on our doorstep right now. There are a few more systems that I can potentially visit but I thought that I'd do another story mission first as it's been a few weeks since the last one. We're not leaving Bretonia space just yet so I can explore a few more systems before the next story mission.

Personal Logs & News Stories: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158984

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Like some of us already pointed out,there is a intended "power-progression route" through the systems enforced by the story. The independent systems (Omega, Tau and later Sigma and Omicron) are always the most dangerous places with no resident house police and plenty of pirates.

Though I will say the independent systems are the most interesting in sense of exploration and some nice loot.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

OutofSight posted:

Like some of us already pointed out,there is a intended "power-progression route" through the systems enforced by the story.

I have read this and I already know this. It's still fun to try though.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
"evasive maneuvers"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love how the battleship is the only Rheinlander with a (exaggerated) German accent.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I like to think that the battleship and its deployed escorts would have taken a better defensive formation if they had any inkling that they were facing cloaked torpedo boats. With a decisive surprise strike by two seasoned vets that knew the tactics the officers would take, and the vulnerabilities of the battleship, I think the outcome is quite expected.

The interesting thing is that they have no tech that can detect cloaked vessels. I find that kind of surprising.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

sb hermit posted:

I like to think that the battleship and its deployed escorts would have taken a better defensive formation if they had any inkling that they were facing cloaked torpedo boats. With a decisive surprise strike by two seasoned vets that knew the tactics the officers would take, and the vulnerabilities of the battleship, I think the outcome is quite expected.

The interesting thing is that they have no tech that can detect cloaked vessels. I find that kind of surprising.

The implication is that cloaking is pretty new and secret, and limited to whatever units are carrying out this hinky poo poo. I wouldn't be surprised if the battleship commander hadn't been looped in on its existence.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Also now that we know about the cloaked ships, that confirms something most people probably guessed early on, when the guy who escaped from medical at the beginning talked about the station being attacked by 'ships that weren't there.'

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The implication is that cloaking is pretty new and secret, and limited to whatever units are carrying out this hinky poo poo. I wouldn't be surprised if the battleship commander hadn't been looped in on its existence.

At some point in the story there is even a relevant rumor talking about how cloaking tech like the Rheinlanders have shouldn't be possible with the known technology of the Sirius colonies. When the research facilities dabbled into that, it took 4 entire power cores for battleship to make the system work.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Also, Juni and Tobias are great on screen together. Her dry professional wit and his used-car salesman charm make a great comedy doubles act.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
:rip: in peace, random research assistant.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Groetgaffel posted:

:rip: in peace, random research assistant.

:smith:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm currently working out where to head next. I thought that I'd pay Magellan and Cortez a visit but there's no point at the moment as we can't land anywhere as everywhere is hostile even if they're listed as neutral. I'm going to step foot in the Tau systems tomorrow to see what the reception is like at the moment. I can see the next story mission happening sooner rather than later though.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The trick with Mactan Base is that it's neutral, BUT turns hostile if there are Outcasts nearby.

It's not easy to land there, but it's possible.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Well, you can always shoot down a few bounty hunters offscreen...

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

ssmagus posted:

Well, you can always shoot down a few bounty hunters offscreen...

They're now hostile to me. So much so that I'm no longer welcome on Sheffield Station in the Manchester system, it's now openly hostile.

my dad posted:

The trick with Mactan Base is that it's neutral, BUT turns hostile if there are Outcasts nearby.

It's not easy to land there, but it's possible.

I might leave it for post game when I can do it hassle free. There's a neutral planet that's completely off limits at this point in the game too. It's a similar situation in Cortez too.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Wasn't there a guy at Freeport 1 who was offering to fix your Outcast rep?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Gothsheep posted:

Wasn't there a guy at Freeport 1 who was offering to fix your Outcast rep?

I thought it was for some ridiculous amount like $60K or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

sb hermit posted:

I thought it was for some ridiculous amount like $60K or something

Can you really put a price on friendship?

I mean that guy could, obviously.