Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Dare even came back recently. Jeff will probably be in the green by next monkeu season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
im genuinely unsure if the guh ad is meant to be a joke banner or not. probably both.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
guh seems to be a "real" thing, so either it's an ironic ad for a real bitcoin or genuine

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The token that only goes up
GUH (Goes Up Higher) is an elastic supply token that is mathematically guaranteed to increase in price until it exceeds the price of bitcoin

boy i hope this isn't an obvious scam

Zamujasa looked into it a little while ago and the way it works is pretty great:

Zamujasa posted:

i looked into this in the gray thread (:suicide:)

amounts are measured internally by "fragments", which are then divided by the "guh cost". it works by just increasing the "guh cost" constantly, so that 1 GUH is 'worth' more (but simultaneously, fragments, which are the actual value, are worth proportionately less)

e.g.

supply = 10000 fragments, you have 5000 fragments
divisor = 1000 fragments
public supply = 10 GUH, you have 5 GUH

network decides "number go up", divisor increases

supply = 10000 fragments, you have 5000 fragments
divisor = 2000 fragments
public supply = 5 GUH, you have 2.5 GUH

since there's now less of it, 1 GUH is 'worth' more even though nothing actually changed

if nothing else, this probably makes trading it prone to hilarious shenanigans. the laff chain mints a new block.

is it an obvious scam, incredibly stupid, or both? it's impossible to tell! :bitcoin:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Ok but what about drying strawberries and epoxying your ports?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

🚫🫐⁉️

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Boxturret posted:

guh seems to be a "real" thing, so either it's an ironic ad for a real bitcoin or genuine

oh yeah guh is absolutely real (real stupid). the whole "number go up, money go down" makes me think its ironic tho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what even is irony in 2021?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
dead

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Zamujasa posted:

oh yeah guh is absolutely real (real stupid). the whole "number go up, money go down" makes me think its ironic tho

but apparently that's how it works?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
i dont see how reducing the amount everyone owns would lead to an equivalent increase in value though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ymgve posted:

i dont see how reducing the amount everyone owns would lead to an equivalent increase in value though

look all they need is _one_ musk tweet

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

ymgve posted:

it's simple, there are 100 guhcoins worth a total of $1000, so each on is worth $10. you say that now 1 guhcoin is equal to .5 guhcoins and therefore each guhcoin is worth $20, so a number went up therefore good

guh

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

they're just changing the units to make the numbers look different, it's like when that one chinese exchange was starting to catch the governments attention for their high transaction volume so they came up with the brilliant idea of moving the decimals over a bit and pretend they were dealing with pennies

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
but it all hinges on everyone agreeing that price is measured as a fraction of the market cap, and that the latter magically stays constant though the number of units go down

it would make more «sense» (from a scam perspective) to have something where the number of coins you own go up, then hope the price doesn’t react quickly enough

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I know I've said this before, but all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about quantum computing makes me imagine a bunch of stiff old men in lab jackets sitting around an IBM sub basement deciding whose crypto they were going to steal today.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

ymgve posted:

but it all hinges on everyone agreeing that price is measured as a fraction of the market cap, and that the latter magically stays constant though the number of units go down

it would make more «sense» (from a scam perspective) to have something where the number of coins you own go up, then hope the price doesn’t react quickly enough

i imagine smart contracts make this extra stupid somehow, possibly because your naive trading site queries the smart contract to determine how many coins (user) owns and how many coins there are total (because, remember, market cap is a very important number to these people) and then Math Happens

smart contracts seem like something absolutely ripe for novel scams but i guess the problem is you have to inflate their value before they're really useful

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/silvermanjacob/status/1404128170127806465

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I mean if you say it's a pump it's still a pump right?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I buy my crypto on the dump
when I say you pump we pump

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
I was expecting that to be a blatant hoodwink, but apparently they never actually told the suckers which coin to buy, so no harm no foul?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

KnifeWrench posted:

I was expecting that to be a blatant hoodwink, but apparently they never actually told the suckers which coin to buy, so no harm no foul?

You know if anyone was paying attention they would've assumed a coin themselves

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/dandolfa/status/1404431931698290688

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

don't think this has been posted: what if dns but it's crypto!? https://unstoppabledomains.com/

hmm ok looks like a regular registrar...

ok kinda vague...

ah lol ok that's why:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

so it's just a url shortener but for 1HitLerDidNothingWrongggggghJewfv, cool

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Boxturret posted:

But made by the modern-day monster.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Boxturret posted:

it's not even that as i understand it. they've literally established their own DNS roots separate from ICANN and are issuing domains under them using crypto or some poo poo. essentially useless for anyone on the whole internet. i love how this bit from their website glosses over things:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

itchyandscratchy bucks DNS, like real money DNS but more fun!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

a url shortener except that the shortened url doesn't work

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

well it would work if fully hosed your poo poo up enough to force their alternate roots, then it would work. however then they'd also be resolving every other single TLD so your google.com would probably become a Moroccan gambling site?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
This has to have been designed to prevent law enforcement from sinkholing botnet domains with the assumption the FBI won't just kick in the door on unstoppabledomains.com itself.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i get the feeling they're going to push a client-side component to make the split-root thing work (only way they can resolve their bs non-domains without breaking the rest of the internet). i guess that's why it's being cross-promoted with that shite Brave browser. honestly that kind of DNS mangling is rife for exploitation and bypasses a lot of rebind attack protections.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
:gonk: it's people. bitcoin is people!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

:gonk: it's people. bitcoin is people!

duh, how do you think hyperbitcoinziation works?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I liked it better when it was called namecoin and died

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
be your own bind9

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Boxturret posted:

it's simple, there are 100 guhcoins worth a total of $1000, so each on is worth $10. you say that now 1 guhcoin is equal to .5 guhcoins and therefore each guhcoin is worth $20, so a number went up therefore good

guh

remember when bitcoiners were talking about how since there's only ever 21 million bitcoins then that means the sum total value of every single speck of matter in the entire universe is 21 million bitcoins, so really the value of one bitcoin is unimaginably huge? i assume it works like that

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Boxturret posted:

this would be funny if it were a joke, unfortunately though here is the issue Brave's founder put on git that got neonazi wiki infogalactic added to the list of built-in search engines alongside google, bing etc

https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/5475

people noticed ~2 years later and it finally got pulled

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
the guy who inflicted javascript upon the world is... a piece of poo poo???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

text editor posted:

this would be funny if it were a joke, unfortunately though here is the issue Brave's founder put on git that got neonazi wiki infogalactic added to the list of built-in search engines alongside google, bing etc

https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/5475

people noticed ~2 years later and it finally got pulled

i'm not really sure why anyone would care that the nazi browser has a nazi search engine, let alone remove it 2 years later