Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Yami Fenrir posted:

The Commander in BF4 didn't have that anyway. You sometimes plonked down supply crates (if so preferred, on snipers, them being enemy ones being optional) or Cruise Missile'd a roof.

The orders and such were completely pretty much entirely ignorable.

Yeah so why even have it? All it will do is annoy the players who have to listen to some bozo bark orders and not supply correctly and the ‘commander’ will just experience the heartache and stress of being completely ignored 90% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah so why even have it? All it will do is annoy the players who have to listen to some bozo bark orders and not supply correctly and the ‘commander’ will just experience the heartache and stress of being completely ignored 90% of the time.

Because you can squish Snipers with supply crates? :shrug:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Yami Fenrir posted:

I think they’ve now democratized this to everyone with 2042, now everyone can drop an Armata tank on a sniper if they have enough points or whatever.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Not pre-ordering but looking forward to this. Hope video cards get out of endangered status by the time this comes out

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

Seriously, with 128-player maps this game is going to need a "JDAM the poo poo out of that bastard with the Barrett M82" button.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Also I don't think either side of the Commander coin ever took the whole thing as seriously as Al-Saqr described.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I played commander mode in BF4 on my ipad while I watched tv. It was great fun.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

If they're picking up one thing from BFV, I wouldn't mind the squad-level call-ins. They already seem to be going that way with the vehicle drops, so it might make sense to extend that to stuff like fire support. No need for a commander, and you still have the option of calling a cruise missile or something on some dumbass sniper.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Perestroika posted:

If they're picking up one thing from BFV, I wouldn't mind the squad-level call-ins. They already seem to be going that way with the vehicle drops, so it might make sense to extend that to stuff like fire support. No need for a commander, and you still have the option of calling a cruise missile or something on some dumbass sniper.

I agree with this, but at the same time, I could spend days telling tales of how a squad commander had 70,000-90,000 points to call in such things, but never used them, because an idiot was the squad commander.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Al-Saqr posted:

In the BF2 era commanders had the ability to see where every enemy was on the map every 5 seconds and could use the extremely powerful flock of angry seagulls artillery to clear out whole points and really rack up the kills and XP. Also they were the only ones who could talk directly to all squad leaders.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I realise i’m one of only like 10 people on the planet who like using them, but I really appreciate the riot shields being confirmed. ty Dice

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Maybe I'm being a grog but I'm a bit worried about the end of classes. It seems to me that everyone will just gravitate to two or three loadouts that are clearly the most optimal; vehicle play is going to be a pain with everyone carrying RPGs.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

In fairness, it's not exactly confirmed that everybody was carrying RPGs. It may as well just have been a placeholder icon, considering that very nearly everyone in the trailer had them.

Fake edit: In fact, I found a bit in the trailer that seems to support the placeholder idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc-VT5hOciI&t=90s

At the timestamp, you're in the point of view of a player with an RPG-icon in his equipment heading into the elevator. Once in the actual elevator, the perspective shifts to the player in the middle of the elevator, looking at the other two. But neither of the two has a rocket launcher on their model, even though in some other scene we've definitely seen characters carry rocket launchers on their back. I may be grasping at straws, tho, since rocket launchers for everyone really would be kinda bad :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SpartanIvy posted:

2142 was great because each class had 2 different primaries to choose from and a handful of gadgets per class. So a sniper had a traditional sniper rifle that wasn't a one hit kill, but you could also spec with a cloaking device that worked super well at distance. So snipers weren't super overpowered but could effectively hang back and move around and take shots at people without instantly being targeted by everyone on the map.

If you wanted to be more of an up-close sniper you could be an engineer with a Pilum anti tank rifle which was an instant kill but the projectile was super slow and visible so you're easy to hunt down after firing.

As such the Pilum was also pretty terrible at anti aircraft fire. You could instead use the rocket launcher with engineer class which had home rockets and we're great AA, but not as damaging, and also worthless with infantry. Although the engineer also got an SMG with it's load out which was pretty good.

Really? I found the AA-launcher to actually secretly be a super good anti-infantry weapon in close range: it one-shot infantry and had two shots. Shame I discovered that only a couple months before I stopped playing. Meanwhile the AA launcher just sucked against air. You were better off using the standard guided launcher against gunships and not by much due to countermeasures in 2142 being an invincible shield bubble.

But yeah, snipers were not that big a deal in 2142. You had the 2 faction specific rifles (which were close enough to not really matter) and if you put your unlock points in Recon you could get a "heavy" sniper that had an ugly rear end red scope that made it hard to see just about anything. Though I swear that thing had some sort of aim compensation that just homed on heads whenever I used it. Between that and the draw distance of that era of gaming it wasn't exactly hard to convince a decent amount of players to take the carbine and be a sneaky stealth C4 bastard instead.

Though there was one attack/defend map that was notorious for having a balcony full of defending snipers that was always great for running through and collecting 5 dogtags in under a minute.

Meanwhile as mentioned the engineer got to chose between the faction-specific guided rocket launcher (they worked the exact same way, just one fired a cluster of 4 missiles that did the same damage). Or you could swap out for the utterly underwhelming AA launcher or the Pilum which was basically the Rocket Rifle from BF1 but you didn't have to be prone to fire it. The Pilum was the correct choice 9/10 times because while the shot was slow it was unguided so the tank or mech you fired it at didn't have a big "INCOMING MISSILE, HIT YOUR BUBBLE!" alarm going off. Also you could fire the thing and then duck into cover because you didn't have to maintain LOS like with the standard launchers. All of the AT weapons were only good for the occasional "And especially gently caress THIS guy!" moments against infantry.

Also since the anti-vehicle weapon was considered the "main" weapon in BF2142 that could be swapped out, engis got a sweet-rear end faction-flavored SMG instead of a pistol. Those things would eat the face of anyone else but at the cost of you lacking a sidearm to pull out when your mag was dry.

But you know the biggest thing I miss about 2142? Having a squeaky toy for a gun! I swear, in universe every single dog in a 2 kilometer radius would have started howling the moment you opened fire with the Krylov. Not to mention the squeaks when you switched to it and the scope popped up (cutting through where the barrel would have been).

Ravenfood posted:

E: the Krylov was better than the Voss.

I personally preferred the heavy AR, but the Krylov was certainly my favorite SOUNDING gun because it was so ridiculous. Also the Voss just sucked so that's not a hard claim to make.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

I'm genuinely excited for the new game :stare: I did not think I would be. The gameplay looks fun as hell. I love chaos-y stuff like that

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 14, 2021

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
The Krylov was the best, I swear that thing had magic bullets. I even have a soft spot for the EU starter gun despite the fact that it kicked like crazy.

80% of the player base used the Voss near the end but if you ever found a high BR player that used the starter guns or the Baur (the high damage kicks like a mule low magazine) gun they were forces to be reckoned with.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I got psyched after seeing the trailer and booted up BF4 again, and holy crap the people who are still playing that game are mostly a lot better than the people who were playing the game back when it first appeared.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

a foolish pianist posted:

I got psyched after seeing the trailer and booted up BF4 again, and holy crap the people who are still playing that game are mostly a lot better than the people who were playing the game back when it first appeared.

Yeah watching some of the top plays from BF4 look more like someone speedrunning Doom Eternal and less like Battlefield, it's insane and instantly ages me

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Same, it's still fun but there's such a huge gap that it feels like I'm just straight up lagging and need to get the drop on people hugely to have a fighting chance lol

It's like I completely forgot how to aim at helmets

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I got in the transport chopper and was ferrying people around all right, then I heard the missile lock noise and couldn't remember what button deployed the flares. I tried X, which switched seats, and the helicopter fell into the ocean.

This was actually much better than the previous lives, where I spawned in, got near an objective, and died to people I never saw.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its funny how you hear that a lot, "died to someone I never saw". Thats kinda the point isn't it? My boorish, Rambo like approach leads me into as many senseless, out in the open, man to man encounters as the civil war, but you like to get the drop on someone when you can.

Once again I will post this gem from the glory days of the site. Though its written about a much shittier game, basically everything still applies

https://www.somethingawful.com/guides/guide-amazing-world/1/

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

I got in the transport chopper and was ferrying people around all right, then I heard the missile lock noise and couldn't remember what button deployed the flares. I tried X, which switched seats, and the helicopter fell into the ocean.

This was actually much better than the previous lives, where I spawned in, got near an objective, and died to people I never saw.

In BF4 at least, the X button deploys flares and F1 to F6 change seats by default. Maybe you changed the key bindings?

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Same, it's still fun but there's such a huge gap that it feels like I'm just straight up lagging and need to get the drop on people hugely to have a fighting chance lol

Getting back into bf4 would be better with managed servers, for now your going up against players exploiting the busted lag comp and interp on server side so you just get wiped out while mag dumping on one person.
Network smoothing is a lie.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Are you playing on PS4? I remember X being the Switch seat button and I think it may be Down on the D-Pad for flares

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Womp posted:

In BF4 at least, the X button deploys flares and F1 to F6 change seats by default. Maybe you changed the key bindings?

Oh, I'm on console.

jisforjosh posted:

Are you playing on PS4? I remember X being the Switch seat button and I think it may be Down on the D-Pad for flares

Yep, this must be it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah, I distinctly remember how when I played during release I completely disregarded the various infrared sights. Because why would you give up ADS time just to highlight the people you're about to shoot at anyway?

But now, eight years later? I take those things on every gun I can, because otherwise I plain cannot even see an enemy before I get wasted. No idea how I was apparently able to identify that those seven pixels look like a head in a split second before. Though I guess in fairness to myself, BF4 really is kind of bad at making people contrast with the background.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

jackfrags doing what nobody else needs to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNTYL8ZHcHc

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I distinctly remember how when I played during release I completely disregarded the various infrared sights. Because why would you give up ADS time just to highlight the people you're about to shoot at anyway?

But now, eight years later? I take those things on every gun I can, because otherwise I plain cannot even see an enemy before I get wasted. No idea how I was apparently able to identify that those seven pixels look like a head in a split second before. Though I guess in fairness to myself, BF4 really is kind of bad at making people contrast with the background.

BFV and BF1 I can reliably get top 5 on the team and almost always end up with atleast a 3 KDR or more...BF4 though? Struggle to break even

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Gameplay trailer looks amazing. I can’t wait to not play COD anymore.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

RCarr posted:

Extremely same.. only like 2 (3?) battlepass seasons to go! :haw:

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

RCarr posted:

I like that COD isn’t even trying anymore, with zero presence at E3 while battlefield and halo are getting tons and tons of hype. I think a lot of people will be trying battlefield over cod this year.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

V for Vegans posted:

I like that COD isn’t even trying anymore, with zero presence at E3 while battlefield and halo are getting tons and tons of hype. I think a lot of people will be trying battlefield over cod this year.

They don't need to try. Warzone pretty much single handedly generated nearly $2 billion of revenue last year

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

jisforjosh posted:

They don't need to try. Warzone pretty much single handedly generated nearly $2 billion of revenue last year

I gotta wonder if that is dropping off because it seems like there are very, very few casual players in there anymore and all the sweatlords will have already bought their Roze skin :haw:

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Battlefield 5 burned me really hard on ever giving EA/DICE money again, but I'm also jonesing for a multiplayer shooter.

gently caress.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
:same: but especially for a (near) future one with fun gadgets not a historical, those are just not my thing

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Abner Assington posted:

Battlefield 5 burned me really hard on ever giving EA/DICE money again, but I'm also jonesing for a multiplayer shooter.

gently caress.

just wait for people's beta impressions then!!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

eonwe posted:

Buddy the only impression I want is one on my freaking chair from how much of the new Battlefield I'm playing!!!!

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

eonwe posted:

But even then, BF5 was pretty solid at launch--it's that everything else DICE did to that game and the content they didn't add made it really lovely over time.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Just so what every other goon will do by claiming you won’t preorder and then place an order the week before the exclusive pre-order beta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Not sure where this "exclusive pre-order" beta stuff is coming from. The beta will be open, pre-order gets you early access to that open beta. This has been the case since, like, battlefield 3.