Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I wasn't a huge fan of Legion Season 2 but it has one of my favorite scenes ever in any comic media. (Spoilers for end season)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r5jqMfbSx8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Medullah posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of Legion Season 2 but it has one of my favorite scenes ever in any comic media. (Spoilers for end season)

Have to hand it to Legion, they did musical segments really well. Also loved the Something for Your Mind and Fly Like an Eagle bits in the S3 opener.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, that scene was great. The episode focused on his sister was very good, too. And the Jon Hamm bits are good in a vacuum but they mostly end up being too superfluous for me to like them

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Finished rewatching The Wire followed up by Breaking Bad that I seem to do every year and I can't move on, I just feel like I'm missing something. Like I gotta rewatch them AGAIN for the nth time over and over. I keep trying to watch newer shows that look interesting, and maybe they are but the itch to just turn it off and start Ep 1 of The Wire keeps nagging at me. It's like that stupid Family Guy skit thing, I can't not watch either of these shows over and over.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

spoilers etc etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WitVPugX3q0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBZFaBSK9xQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_quyWxSYnI4

making telepathic battles be music showdowns instead is such a loving brilliant idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3fmppeSAYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgRB5ZMd2eY

e: and i think they did more than hint at the multiple identities thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gYLDq1zkk8

e: esp spoillerific

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxIfraH5jxM

e: all in all, there was a lot the show missed (alot of hallway scenes, unclear and inconclusive character arcs). But I'm really glad it existed, and more creators should be taking as wild chances as it took, and especially in genre TV, use the full benefits of filmmaking instead of shooting two characters talking at each other about soap opera poo poo for 30mins or an hr.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Funnily enough my biggest issue with season 2 was how much of it was “two characters talking at each other about soap opera poo poo”. It’s just that sometimes it’s that with pretty weird stuff happening at the same time, but I need my style to have at least a little substance for the most part.

e: maybe I should try rewatching it. I wonder how it holds up binged compared to week-to-week.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 14, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I need to rewatch it as well. Yeah there was 2 characters talking about soap opera poo poo, but at least it had the other much better stuff tacked on. I think I'll have a better idea what I mean after watching it altogether

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Watching Hacks

where the hell did Kiki come from? First I thought she was a rando card table dealer and then she's like... really close with Deborah?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
She’s Deborah’s personal card table dealer. That card table is in her house haha

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

seeing Sweet Dee in this show is a trip lol

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

MiddleOne posted:

Man Passenger was a really weird movie.

It was one of those popular scripts that was out there for a bit, and originally much more blunt and focused on how creepy his actions were. But once production started and Pratt was cast they got cold feet on that aspect so we got that confused thing we got.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

She’s Deborah’s personal card table dealer. That card table is in her house haha

Apparently I skipped episode 2 lol

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SunshineDanceParty posted:

It was one of those popular scripts that was out there for a bit, and originally much more blunt and focused on how creepy his actions were. But once production started and Pratt was cast they got cold feet on that aspect so we got that confused thing we got.

That's a shame, because it really did feel like there was a good movie hidden in there. The concept was certainly excellent, but the execution and resolution were just so out of line with where society was finally heading.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Medullah posted:

I loved when they did this in Sword and the Stone and I liked it even more when they did it in Venture Bros. Out of context, I liked it here too. Love me an imagination battle.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

That's a shame, because it really did feel like there was a good movie hidden in there. The concept was certainly excellent, but the execution and resolution were just so out of line with where society was finally heading.

It was supposedly based on this old EC Comics story, 50 Girls 50.

https://issuu.com/fantagraphics/docs/50-girls-50/22

Not quite the same story but roughly similar premise but full-horror style. Got a way better ending than Passengers, that's for sure. I guess this leaves room for a sequel about a doomed arrival for the 48 women left. Also lol that this guy's brilliant plan was to live his life on this boring spaceship where he could one by one manipulate women into sleeping with his dumb rear end. Why bro?! Seems like if all he wanted was easy sex he could've fuckin stayed on earth

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 14, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Which was which for Passenger? I hadn't seen and just read the wiki synopsis and this ending almost sounds like a vandal's edit. Living happily ever after with this dude who... I mean I don't even know what to call that kind of crime against someone, but he non-consensually made a permanent terminal decision for a complete stranger because he was lonely horny after a year alone? He picked the prettiest girl like hes swiping on tindr and decided to force her into a dire situation where he's literally the "last man in the world" for her and it works so well he tricks her into staying even after evil deed revealed and made undoable. Just reading the synopsis it sounds like some dude's rapey space fanfic, but you're saying it was actually women audiences who liked the ending? I'm certainly missing something having not seen it, but why would anyone like that ending?

Passengers had men reviewing it as a dramatic love story.

Women saw it as an existential horror movie and a lot of male commenters basically dismissed them as being unsympathetic to Chris Pratt's character.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Medullah posted:

Nah this was the good poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzD1Ko7fFeo

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Khanstant posted:

I loved when they did this in Sword and the Stone and I liked it even more when they did it in Venture Bros. Out of context, I liked it here too. Love me an imagination battle.

I wonder if the Sandman series will do it again with the fight between Morpheus and Lucifer

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pentyne posted:

Passengers had men reviewing it as a dramatic love story.

Women saw it as an existential horror movie and a lot of male commenters basically dismissed them as being unsympathetic to Chris Pratt's character.

My ex-wife thought it was one of the most romantic movies she'd ever seen.

I'm like, "He literally dooms a woman because he wanted to get laid!"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You ex just wants to be doomed and I guess you're just not the dooming kind of person.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i think it would have been better if they'd cast Jonah Hill in Chris Pratt's role

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah casting the male part as a generic attractive dude really skewed how people view the situation. If they had cast the dude as a schlubby weirdo, people probably would have seen the situation for what it really was.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a few video essays about how they could have made it a twist ending by revealing what Chris Pratt did later in the movie but maybe it would be too much of a bummer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If only John Candy were still alive.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The original ending had a malfunction jettison the other 5000 passengers into space

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jesus gently caress.

quote:

Robin Thede and London Hughes have been set as the leads of “Perfect Strangers,” a reboot of the classic 1980s sitcom that starred Mark Linn-Baker and Bronson Pinchot.

The new series will follow perfect strangers, Dejay (Thede) and Poppy (Hughes) who unexpectedly discover they are half-sisters when they both inherit a one-bedroom apartment above a trap yoga studio in Brooklyn.

The half-hour, multi-camera comedy is in development as a series at HBO Max and will be written by “A Black Lady Sketch Show” creator and star Thede.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What is trap yoga? Are step siblings involved?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh, the gently caress are they thinking.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
idk Black Lady Sketch Show was funny and that sounds like a pretty standard premise for a sitcom, especially when "two friends who live in NYC" would also work. Why you gently caress jesusin about it?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's yoga marketed to the "urban" segment. Hey whatever makes exercise fun is fun and good. But why does the show description specifically say the apartment is above a yoga studio? I guess that's going to be the workplace part of the comedy?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Wasn’t there another relatively recent show where a bunch of people discovered they were all half-siblings?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Medullah posted:

I wonder if the Sandman series will do it again with the fight between Morpheus and Lucifer

The behind the scene's video that Netflix posted last week showed a nightclub set so it looks like it'll be in there.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, I don't get the backlash at it other than taking the name and marketing it as a reboot, which I honestly couldn't care less about.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wasn’t there another relatively recent show where a bunch of people discovered they were all half-siblings?

Yes, I can't remember the show's name, but the father was an unscrupulous fertility doctor.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There was a show that had the very disturbing premise that a bunch of women discover they were all the result of embroyo implants or something and the doctor had replaced his semen in all of them so they all turned out to be spiritual rape sisters or something.

edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almost_Family

quote:

When it is revealed that fertility doctor Leon Bechley (Timothy Hutton) had used his own sperm to conceive at least 100 children throughout his career, Julia Bechley (Brittany Snow) unites with two of her half siblings—including childhood friend Edie Palmer (Megalyn Echikunwoke), and retired Olympic athlete Roxy Doyle (Emily Osment)—as they deal with issues that have been affecting their lives.[3]

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It was called Almost Family.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Now that’s a show to Jeeeeeesus chriiiiiist about. :stare:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The premise isn't much weirder than something like Kimmy Schmidt.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

howe_sam posted:

Yes, I can't remember the show's name, but the father was an unscrupulous fertility doctor.

It was also the plot of an early-era Law & Order episode, in which a fertility doctor (played by David Margulies) was inseminating women with his own sperm but telling them it came from other sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I feel like I've seen that plot a dozen times.