Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The only truly objective way to determine the best team is by looking at it from the fashion angle. In which case four Dancers obviously win.* :colbert:

*Maybe three Dancers and White Mage Krile

Nasgate posted:

Is it normal for !summon to ignore Sandworms holes? Or is this another matrixism?

No, that's true for all versions. I don't know why they made an exception for summons after explicitly warning you not to use MT attacks, but that's how it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

30.5 Days posted:

:toxx:
I don't know anything about final fantasy v, so I need to know what makes the BEST TEAM. For everyone telling me why their team is the BEST, I will donate $10, up to $250. To be clear, I know absolutely nothing about final fantasy V, and we are operating on the honor system, so definitely don't make anything up to get kids the surgery they need!

The best team is whatever I have on my current run, and let me tell you about them. *checks notes*
First of all, you’ve got blue mage which is basically cheating you can death claw, level 5 death, big guard, this is the game that started all that nonsense.
Then you’ve got berserker, look sometimes you need to do damage and why bother thinking about it when you do?
Did somebody say damage? Well Rangers got that too with x-fight! Don’t have any staff users so critters can fill in with healing right there in the middle of vampire and white wind.
And finally you have dragoon, which... Dragoon is the wild card! Just drop out of the sky, no one’s expecting it. Fill up the blue mages MP with lancet. I mean I won’t because they’ll have x-fight, but I could.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Woof, Garula with 4 thieves was a slog lol.

Got my obligatory Berserker for the water job. This is gonna be a brutal one.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

I don't know anything about final fantasy v, so I need to know what makes the BEST TEAM. For everyone telling me why their team is the BEST, I will donate $10, up to $250. To be clear, I know absolutely nothing about final fantasy V, and we are operating on the honor system, so definitely don't make anything up to get kids the surgery they need!

I have mystic knight which gives me spellblade (which allows me to apply magic to my weapon attacks to make them stronger), a ranger which gives me rapidfire (which attacks 4 times at half damage), and a freelancer which has two open ability slots, allowing me to have 2 rapidfire spellbladers (as the mystic knight also starts with spellblade, so I can just add rapidfire on). This allows me to do dumb things like hit one of the optional superbosses for 9999 damage 4 times in one turn that will always hit, because he's weak to thunder and if you use the maximum level elemental blade on an enemy weak to that element, you either instantly kill them or just do a ridiculous amount of damage to them.

I also have a berserker which lets me put Krile in a cute animal onesie.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

The only truly objective way to determine the best team is by looking at it from the fashion angle. In which case four Dancers obviously win.* :colbert:

*Maybe three Dancers and White Mage Krile

No, that's true for all versions. I don't know why they made an exception for summons after explicitly warning you not to use MT attacks, but that's how it is.

It's not an exception for summons. The holes only react to physical attacks. Cid loving lies to you.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Koobes posted:

This is Lenna, Princess of Tycoon. She loves animals, and is one of our 4 party members. She also likes to get poisoned for reasons unknown to even us.

for every boss beaten while Lenna is poisoned, I'll donate $0.10, up to a max of $100. How she gets poisoned is up to you.

Here's an easy one

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

dis astranagant posted:

It's not an exception for summons. The holes only react to physical attacks. Cid loving lies to you.

Well, specifically, it's all the things that Omniscient will reset the battle for, but yeah, magical commands literally do not provoke anything from holes.

(The reason a weapon that procs a spell triggers twice is because it's two incidents of a Physical-based command)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Does that mean under the rug Omniscient is actually a giant hole?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mega64 posted:

Does that mean under the rug Omniscient is actually a giant hole?

There is a small patch of desert surrounding Fork Tower...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Don't mind me, just rounding up the toxxes not currently in the OP. Let me know if I missed one, I only quickly skimmed the last ten or so pages!

nrook posted:

Legendary Weapon Charity Sale!

In order to raise money for charity, let's all sell the legendary weapons! I'll be donating $0.10 for each of the 12 legendary weapons sold.

I'm sure Omniscient will be glad for the extra company.

DalaranJ posted:

Last year, I asked you to commit The Perfect Crime. This year, I need you to Attack and Dethrone God(s).
In any run that does not at any time use the Summoner class, collect all the spells in the Summon menu.
Please show, a screenshot of your party's classes, and one of the filled summon menu.
https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1402391976125796354

Doom Goon posted:

OMG.

Oh, before I forget, I'm doing the GBA Randomizer :toxx: again, same as last time:
Mild runs only. $1.10 per goon up to 20 for every goon that completes a run to the end (must complete a standard run first) using Can Of Worms's Final Fantasy V Advance Randomizer. Make sure to emptyquote this post on a win so I can see it! Oh, and please don't use the FFV4JF site (probably not cool crowning on impossible runs). It's up to you if you want to spoil the Jobs you get or not but I'd recommend it to reduce grinding and magic level confusion. Also, I'll probably wait until next year to actually donate so I can kill two birds with one stone and water that tree.
:siren:Also, make sure you use the clean unpatched Final Fantasy V Advance US ROM (CRC32 7A24AB0C)! You'll get game-breaking errors with the EU version or patched ROMs that change job stuff.

Aerdan posted:

https://twitter.com/aerdan/status/1402644546073288705

Adding a :toxx: for Exdeath's NED replacer feature. The floor's still open for submissions for that, by the way.

DalaranJ posted:

Okay, here's a more radical :toxx: that I'm going to add on top of my last one.
Number Go Up
Recommended: Thief, but not Samurai
Complete the game without spending any money (which includes using !cointoss).

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1402681856152248324

StrangeAeon posted:

yes

YES

:toxx: We Choose Violence
I pledge $1 for every FULL POWER BRAVE BLADE posted to the thread. Limit of $100

Koobes posted:

This is Lenna, Princess of Tycoon. She loves animals, and is one of our 4 party members. She also likes to get poisoned for reasons unknown to even us.

for every boss beaten while Lenna is poisoned, I'll donate $0.10, up to a max of $100. How she gets poisoned is up to you.

nrook posted:

Last minute toxx:

I'll donate $30 for everyone who, in their first run of this Fiesta, finishes the game faster than the winner of the Run.

I'll count up to 30 runs, although honestly I wouldn't be surprised if nobody does this; it sounds hard!

No job fair allowed, but any ruleset is fine. Game time, but please don't reload previous saves to get free time, and if you wipe, record or estimate the amount of time you "wasted" and count it. You must defeat NED.

Shyfted One posted:

:toxx: $1 for each unique (not default or even Cactuar since that's become common) NED sprite submitted for victory. This is per each replacement option per person. So I'll only accept 1 Neo X Death, Yiazmat, etc victory shot per person. I want to see a variety! Max of $75?

Arrrthritis posted:

Got a couple of Toxxes this year for the people who are interested!

I'll be donating $2 for every boss that's defeated with the power of !Gaia. Just for the hell of it, i'll make it $6 every time someone beats Omniscient with Gaia as well. Screenshot/Gif of the boss getting destroyed is all the proof I'll need.
Toxx cap: $100

For NED, I'll be donating $2 for every downed party member when Neo Ex-Death is defeated. (i.e. if Butz is the only party member standing when NED is defeated, I'll donate $6. Or if you have two members standing I'll donate $4, or $2 if you have three party members standing).

Hellioning posted:

gently caress the chicken knife.

But also gently caress the brave blade.

10 dollars for each person (up to 5) who gets a max power brave blade (or zero power chicken knife I suppose) and then !Throws it at either the gargoyles in front of the Pyramid or Melusine.

Mustached Demon posted:

In light of the FF: Origins trailer, I'll donate $1, up to $25, for every Buttz named CHAOS. Quote this post with a screenshot of CHAOS.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntQ-utIdWWE

30.5 Days posted:

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I got blue mage :toot:. Should I build this towards attack or magic stats? I know they use both and monster skill calculations are usually weird, as well as getting stuff like the wind knife later. I just don't know if I'm supposed to be gearing them as mages or fighters. Also what does "#up" do for gilgabot? Like blogging your progress?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I got blue mage :toot:. Should I build this towards attack or magic stats? I know they use both and monster skill calculations are usually weird, as well as getting stuff like the wind knife later. I just don't know if I'm supposed to be gearing them as mages or fighters. Also what does "#up" do for gilgabot? Like blogging your progress?

Hooray, you have one of the best jobs in the game! Here's a link to a comprehensive Blue Magic guide: https://ff5.mega64.net/index.php/ms/blue-magic

#up is for blogging about your FJF progress, yeah. I think there's a way to show all #up posts for a given user, but I can't remember how off the top of my head.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Koobes posted:

#2 for me.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Alright, I went ahead and unlocked my jobs in advance so I could see. I know, it's cheating, sorry gregbot.

Black Mage / Berserker / Ninja / Chemist.

I look forward to absolutely deleting bosses.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I got blue mage :toot:. Should I build this towards attack or magic stats? I know they use both and monster skill calculations are usually weird, as well as getting stuff like the wind knife later. I just don't know if I'm supposed to be gearing them as mages or fighters.

Blue Mages have a terrible Strength score, so their ability to equip swords only matters in a few niche cases. They're casters through and through.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Did somebody say beating bosses with Lenna poisoned?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm entirely too lazy for most of these, but killing Omniscient with hippie poo poo was important.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/TestyHarshFreshwatereel-mobile.mp4

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I wanna do my run but I've been challenging myself to get over my streaming anxiety by always streaming if I can handle it so get in losers, let's find out what Gilgabot hits me with.

https://www.twitch.tv/retrocombine

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I like big Bartz and I cannot lie.

Edit: Toxxes! This year I will probably just be doing the T-Rex toxx.

I will donate $5 for every kill of T-Rex in world two that DOES NOT use a Phoenix Down or similar item. Anything goes except something that would kill an undead outright. You can post a video, a screenshot, a tiktok, hell you don't have to do anything but post that you did it.

Limit will be $75.

Heres the first time I've done this in forever.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh come now, you can't be angry about a fate you chose.

four berzerkers can be angry about anything they want to be

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Hey all, starting a bit late, but starting a new game now.

My first job is Monk, which I hear will be great early on, but will fall off later.

http://fourjobfiesta.com/players.php?player=wokow77

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

:shrug: Well, having one won't be that bad.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I like big Bartz and I cannot lie.

Edit: Toxxes! This year I will probably just be doing the T-Rex toxx.

I will donate $5 for every kill of T-Rex in world two that DOES NOT use a Phoenix Down or similar item. Anything goes except something that would kill an undead outright. You can post a video, a screenshot, a tiktok, hell you don't have to do anything but post that you did it.

Limit will be $75.

I put my Zerker pre-Liquiflame overlevelling to work and let them kill it. My Chemist and Mime stayed on healing (the party) duty with an occasional stab.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Does a CHAOS run use a modified version of the game to get jobs ahead of time or is it using freelancers until those jobs are unlocked ?

Edit: advance looks fun but those are unlocked quite late too

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

nrook posted:

Legendary Weapon Charity Sale!

In order to raise money for charity, let's all sell the legendary weapons! I'll be donating $0.10 for each of the 12 legendary weapons sold.

I'm sure Omniscient will be glad for the extra company.

Keeping the Rune Axe and Excalibur and you can't stop me. :colbert: (I probably should've held onto the Harp, too, but whatever, gently caress it!)

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Does a CHAOS run use a modified version of the game to get jobs ahead of time or is it using freelancers until those jobs are unlocked ?
Either-or. Even if you use Fiesta mod, though, if you get Mime or an Advance job, you do just use your other jobs as if you hadn't unlocked your fourth job yet. (i.e., I got Knight/Berserker/Mime/Bard, so I was rolling with Knight/Knight/Berserker/Bard for most of the game.)

Same if you're not modding, but your job isn't available yet. So you could end up rolling 4Free for a while (if you somehow end up with all four Earth jobs, for example), but once you get at least one job you can use, you have to use those jobs.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Thanks! Interesting, I kind of want to try that but the easiest way to play for me is on (I assume unmoddable) iOS

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Karia posted:

:shrug: Well, having one won't be that bad.

What even is a Fiesta run without a berserker, really?

LXP
Dec 26, 2012

Hellioning posted:

gently caress the chicken knife.

But also gently caress the brave blade.

10 dollars for each person (up to 5) who gets a max power brave blade (or zero power chicken knife I suppose) and then !Throws it at either the gargoyles in front of the Pyramid or Melusine.

Here's the Brave Blade:

Here's me attempting to toss it (You can tell because the Scrolls are white):

In the spirit of the toxx (and also because gently caress the Brave blade):

I've gotten DRA/BER/RED/NIN. It's been nice so far. It's been a wacky romp as I attempt to end as many boss fights with as many people either poisoned, toad, or minied.
Did you know that !Lance works when you're a toad?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Just did the Ancient Library. Party so far is Geomancer/Berserker/Bard. It's been interesting!

I went ahead and unlocked Geomancer (and technically Bard) early. It made the early game a breeze, though Liquid Flame and Ifrit were a pain! I'm also working on the "spend no money" part, since this is a good team for that! The lack of healing items is not great, though at least I'll get Regen soon. I've burned almost everything on Liquid Flame.

Alright, time for toxxes.

Mustached Demon posted:

In light of the FF: Origins trailer, I'll donate $1, up to $25, for every Buttz named CHAOS. Quote this post with a screenshot of CHAOS.

Close enough. Besides, you're probably way past the toxx limit at this point anyway.

Arrrthritis posted:

I'll be donating $2 for every boss that's defeated with the power of !Gaia. Just for the hell of it, i'll make it $6 every time someone beats Omniscient with Gaia as well. Screenshot/Gif of the boss getting destroyed is all the proof I'll need.

Koobes posted:

Five Gaia kills so far in Karlabos, Siren, Magisa, Garula, and Byblos, though technically Byblos is the only one that should be doable so far. Liquid Flame and Ifrit pretty much ignore !Gaia's bullshit, and a Berserker sniped the kill on Iron Claw.

Also a free Poisoned Lenna for Magisa, of course.

girl dick energy posted:

I just got killed by a Ghidra in the ten steps between Archie and the next cutscene. :cripes: In honor of this, and to do something productive with the experience...

:toxx: $1 every time someone wipes after a difficult boss but before they can save. Yes, the Void counts. Limit one per player. Max of $10.

Use your best judgment and the honor system for what counts as "difficult".

I'm gonna count this because Ifrit was difficult for my party and took a few attempts. He does a lot of damage and I was too low on healing items to throw them to keep up, so I had to throw an Elixir on my Main Gauche user and pray. The first attempt I got a win, I died when backtracking to the library entrance, because of course I'm also Brave Blading (or Brave Knifing...?) this run on top of everything else. After the second win, I abused quicksaving to avoid random battles.

I'll be sure to try out a lot more toxxes! The "Kill Omega with Rune Chime" one is certainly on the table!

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Samuel Clemens posted:

8. For Magisa you'll want to do close to 350 damage so she's right on the verge of calling in Forza. Then have everyone wait with a full ATB until she attacks. Immediately attack her with all four characters afterwards. If you were fast enough, you should be able to get in another round of attacks before she acts since Thieves are faster than her. That'll kill her before she gets the chance to yell for help.

Thanks for this, it worked perfectly and saved me a huge headache.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Got to the Wind Crystal and unlocked Monk. My guess is that I'll need to stock up on a good amount of potions and be ready to just power through till the Water Crystal.

I had forgotten how much personality the characters showed from what I played last time.

subujun
Mar 31, 2010
So, I hit probably the biggest wall, besides NED, with Twintania. Coral ring deals with the tidal counters but not the Mind Blast. Reflect ring will work on that but then I just get waved to death. After the paralyze wears off I get blasted away from his charged form. Currently hitting level 40 and just barely reaching 3000 hp. I feel like I need to exceed 4000 hp to death sickle/assassin blade him after he blasts me. Does anyone know what level I would need to reach with the 'zerks?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

subujun posted:

So, I hit probably the biggest wall, besides NED, with Twintania. Coral ring deals with the tidal counters but not the Mind Blast. Reflect ring will work on that but then I just get waved to death. After the paralyze wears off I get blasted away from his charged form. Currently hitting level 40 and just barely reaching 3000 hp. I feel like I need to exceed 4000 hp to death sickle/assassin blade him after he blasts me. Does anyone know what level I would need to reach with the 'zerks?

Hermes Sandals and Death Sickles are the route. Hermes Sandals make you immune to Paralysis, while Death Sickles can cause instant death.

"But wait, what about the Assassin's Dagger?"

That's what's killing you. Twintania is countering physical attacks with Tidal Wave, and the Assassin's Dagger is hitting every single time. In fact, it might even be better to kill off a couple of your Berserkers so you face fewer Tidal Waves (especially with Hermes Sandals). The Death Sickle missing prior to the Giga Flare phase is a feature, not a bug, and so you should lean into that, as every missed Death Sickle is one less Tidal Wave.

In fact, thinking on it, I'd say stick with Reflect Rings, because then you have fewer attacks going out. Sure, you're getting fewer shots per fight at Death hitting, but if you're still facing too many Tidal Waves this is the ticket.

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 15, 2021

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

LXP posted:

Here's the Brave Blade:

Here's me attempting to toss it (You can tell because the Scrolls are white):

In the spirit of the toxx (and also because gently caress the Brave blade):

I've gotten DRA/BER/RED/NIN. It's been nice so far. It's been a wacky romp as I attempt to end as many boss fights with as many people either poisoned, toad, or minied.
Did you know that !Lance works when you're a toad?

Huh, didn't know you can't throw it. My bad then!

Update to my :toxx:

Just sell a max power brave blade or zero power chicken knife. 4 more.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Mustached Demon posted:

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntQ-utIdWWE

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mega64 posted:

Close enough. Besides, you're probably way past the toxx limit at this point anyway.

I'm gonna up that up to 50. So people don't miss out on CHAOS killing trees.

Then the rest of y'all don't forget about my other toxx to get you to finally finish a run after all these year.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Thanks! Interesting, I kind of want to try that but the easiest way to play for me is on (I assume unmoddable) iOS

Honestly, it's not too bad. While being stuck as a Freelancer for a while isn't exciting, it's not that bad since they can use any equipment (which means breaking rods is on the table).

Where it gets bad is when you get stuck with something like Berserker until the Earth crystal. I'm currently looking at needing to grind up a pile more levels so I can 'zerk my way past Sandworm.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thank you for hanging out on the stream guys!!!!!!!!! +1 to CHAOS!!! and Lenna being poisoned at Siren. :bubblewoop:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

StrangeAeon posted:

yes

YES

:toxx: We Choose Violence
I pledge $1 for every FULL POWER BRAVE BLADE posted to the thread. Limit of $100
Posted the image once earlier but forgot to find and quote the toxx post:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Koobes posted:

<snip>

This was the boss of the mountain north of Carwen. (It's hard to tell because of the blue mage getup, but she is indeed poisoned)

This is my first time doing the FJF. I've only just unlocked the water crystal, but I peeked ahead and it seems I will have Blue Mage, Red Mage, Geomancer, and Samurai. Seems like a pretty good team all things considered. Blue will probably be the powerhouse but Red will help me get some blue spells with confuse and can help support with other white magic and act as a decent attacker. And Geomancer can help save some mana or at least have some good magic stats to use blue/red magic as their secondary. I don't know too much about Samurais but I think they are pretty strong. So far the MVP of the run has been the Blue spell Vampire. Fully heal yourself and do a bunch of damage for 2 MP? Sure why not.

One thing I have been (maybe needlessly) worrying over is who will focus on what jobs. Since I haven't played FF5 in over a decade, I don't really remember how things end up at the end. Is it likely that I'll master all 4 jobs with everyone by the end of the game without any extra grinding?

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 15, 2021