Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Well the good thing is, Square seems to be making sacrificial final fantasy spinoffs to suck all the lovely Nomurageneric stuff away from their prized VII line

tfw you realize other people in square involved with ff7 are also psychos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

All I remember from Crisis Core was Angeal, the guy who had a wing like an Angel (That's why his name was Angeal), who was Sephiroth before Sephiroth was sephiroth

And Genesis, the guy that is literally a copy pasted J-rock celebrity put into the game and he walked around quoting a book of poetry because it was a JRPG in 2007

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
All I remember from Crisis Core was the god awful dice mechanic

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

All I remember from Crisis Core was Angeal, the guy who had a wing like an Angel (That's why his name was Angeal), who was Sephiroth before Sephiroth was sephiroth

And Genesis, the guy that is literally a copy pasted J-rock celebrity put into the game and he walked around quoting a book of poetry because it was a JRPG in 2007

It was Loveless, the play from the sign in Midgar (and I think Cid mentions that he fell asleep watching it). Which I guess was retroactively turned into bad Shakespeare in Crisis Core.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I remember squats mostly.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Clarste posted:

I don't remember them from Crisis Core at least?

From the wiki:

"In Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII-, Nero and Weiss are released and sent to retrieve Genesis Rhapsodos after he loses to Zack Fair. Nero and Weiss take Genesis's body away in a helicopter under secret orders from President Shinra. They inform Genesis of the Deepground situation and ask him to join them in an upcoming rebellion against the Restrictors, but Genesis refuses"

So I'm guessing they aren't antagonists. Wow I don't remember anything about this game (except for the poetry-rewding Kpop guy)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

nero and weiss only have a short cameo at the very end of Crisis Core and their faces are hidden by the camera, they're mainly Dirge of Cerberus characters

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Every Final Fantasy: Disestablishmentarianism 420/69 spinoff title is only delaying FFVII Revangelion, not drawing away the crazy.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
I may finally try to play through DoC after this. I suppose that constitutes a victory for S-E, drat them.

Don't think I'm gonna try hard mode or the VR fights though. And gently caress boxes. I'll sooner replay the full game at dat sweet 60 fps.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
DoC sucks as a game but has some really good FMVs and great music. I was happy to hear Nero's and Weiss' themes in the DLC, even though I already expected that because it's the same composer.
Apparently DoC had online multiplayer in Japan? Overseas we got some really bad VR missions made from repurposed assets from that mode.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Watch an LP or something, Dirge of Cerberus actively hates the player. I've mentally blocked most of my playthrough and replaced it with more Crisis Core.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I really enjoyed Max Dood's playthrough of Dirge he forced himself through before ff7r released

It was like watching someone punch themselves in the balls over and over again for hours

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I went to buy dirge on release. Took it up to the counter at GameStop, and the lad working there actually un sold me on it by talking how poo poo it was.

When even GameStop is unselling your game maybe you hosed up big time

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man I really need to sit down and play the DLC. I dunno what I'm waiting for. I have a PS5 and I've been continuing my Hard mode save instead of loading it up

It's very good. You really should.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Any good tracks in Dirge?

Gackt's song Redemption is actually pretty enjoyable for me but the rest never made much of an impression.

I wasn't sure if anything in Intergrade was referencing DoC directly, but saw a lot of people comparing Nero's piano heavy track to Yoko Shimomura's work (Kingdom Hearts, Parasite Eve).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

What was so bad about Dirge? I played through it over a decade ago and remember almost nothing except that you could...level up bullets? Or something? Also Hojo was annoying as poo poo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I just remember TDI's Let's Play where he slowly lost his mind over the course of the whole thing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

VagueRant posted:

Every Final Fantasy: Disestablishmentarianism 420/69 spinoff title is only delaying FFVII Revangelion, not drawing away the crazy.

Nothing is being delayed by Final Fantasy spin-offs because the team working on FF7R aren't working on those other games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Morpheus posted:

What was so bad about Dirge? I played through it over a decade ago and remember almost nothing except that you could...level up bullets? Or something? Also Hojo was annoying as poo poo.

Far as I know, the development team had like 4% understanding how to make a third-person shooter so it was miserable to control. Never played it myself so I don't know for sure.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Morpheus posted:

iirc it was a 3rd person gun action game, because those were popular at the time, but Square did not know how to design those and did not want to learn. I have heard it described as akin to loading and accurately firing a crossbow with your feet, wish shoes on

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I passed on DoC cause it controlled like pure rear end. Let's face it the DS2 sticks were not that great for accurate aiming, notice the huge auto-assist reticle. What I didn't know at the time is that the game does support keyboard and mouse, so if I played it today that's what I would use. It also suffered from that wacky rear end PS2 era blur filter to hide performance issues.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

ghostinmyshell posted:

I passed on DoC cause it controlled like pure rear end. Let's face it the DS2 sticks were not that great for accurate aiming, notice the huge auto-assist reticle. What I didn't know at the time is that the game does support keyboard and mouse, so if I played it today that's what I would use. It also suffered from that wacky rear end PS2 era blur filter to hide performance issues.

There's probably the bones of a decent game laying in there somewhere that modders could drag out if they cared to

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

VagueRant posted:

Gackt's song Redemption is actually pretty enjoyable for me but the rest never made much of an impression.

I wasn't sure if anything in Intergrade was referencing DoC directly, but saw a lot of people comparing Nero's piano heavy track to Yoko Shimomura's work (Kingdom Hearts, Parasite Eve).

Man as much as hate Dirge... I really love that Redemption track by Gackto-san

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Morpheus posted:

You know how (spoiler'd just in case for the people who only played Remake and have no idea about this future plot beat) Vincent was pining for Sephiroth's mom right before she banged Hojo? Well what if Lucrecia was secretly the one who killed Vincent's dad, as well as shoving a dangerous Materia in Vincent's chest that's the key to summoning the planet's Other Other Weapon?

Oh, and one of the Deepground bosses is this cyber-hacker named Shelke the Orange who, due to the Mako treatments and experiments, is a 19-year old girl that permanently looks like a 10-year old and wearing a form-fitting bodysuit. At some point, she downloads Lucrecia's research/memories and kind of receives some of Lucrecia's emotions, so uhhhhhh, guess who's Vincent's emotional connection in this game!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I almost forgot about Vincent's loli girlfriend

Or blank'd it out

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

ghostinmyshell posted:

I passed on DoC cause it controlled like pure rear end. Let's face it the DS2 sticks were not that great for accurate aiming, notice the huge auto-assist reticle. What I didn't know at the time is that the game does support keyboard and mouse, so if I played it today that's what I would use.

I mean none of that really matters because your bullets could literally pass through enemies and if you weren't locked on they didn't count

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Are there any good VLPs of Dirge? It's been ages since I've thought about, and I refuse to put in the effort that would be involved in actually playing it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Moola posted:

Or blank'd it out

No one should be forced to remember Orange the Transparent.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
God, gently caress, this new Intermission whack a box is brutal. Any advice? I don't even know if i've found 50k points worth of boxes in here. I'm using throw/retrieve and deadly dodge to clear small crates and art of war for the big ones (and banishment 3 for the room of big ones) but it's not enough. It's never enough. The boxes cannot be whacked.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The throw / windstorm combo will leave the 1500 boxes down to 1 hit and have a decent radius. That’s what you want to be using.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Truly will never get over the fact there was a video game sequel to FFVII nine years after its release with a cliffhanger secret ending and not a single person ever gave a poo poo about what happened next.

CottonWolf posted:

Are there any good VLPs of Dirge? It's been ages since I've thought about, and I refuse to put in the effort that would be involved in actually playing it.
I know you explicitly said VLP but The Dark Id is a forums icon for a reason and an SSLP is a lot easier to skim through the parts where they turn a two screen cave into a labyrinthine sewer level?

Moola posted:

Or blank'd it out
There was truly no need. For any of this. Hojo downloaded himself into a computer so he could download himself into 2x gunblade sephiroth because god forbid we write any new character conflicts.

Moola posted:

Man as much as hate Dirge... I really love that Redemption track by Gackto-san
i'm sorry but the bit where he's sad about a dead owl and then goes to rocking about leather, braids and dead owls is very good ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXp0v93ZRTs&t=85s

Blockhouse posted:

Nothing is being delayed by Final Fantasy spin-offs because the team working on FF7R aren't working on those other games.
I'm not saying anything is certain, but the same could've been said for the first 3 years of VIIR's development and look how that worked out.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

No one should be forced to remember Orange the Transparent.

She was included in World of Final Fantasy so clearly somebody likes her. I wouldn't be surprised if she's included in later FFVIIR based on this fact alone.

Speaking of which

VagueRant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06EXCf5zXUk

And I actually preferred Longing to Redemption
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qz0t7pPS3A

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
AZUL THE CERULEAN

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

All I remember from Crisis Core was the god awful dice mechanic

You remember less than you think, because it was Slots, not Dice :v:

Also, I have a soft spot for Dirge because it came out when I was the exact Edgy Teenager that it was targeted towards, and games will never feel the same as they did back then, so replaying it takes me back to that time in a futile attempt to recapture my relative teenage happiness.

Game is total rear end though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

VagueRant posted:

I'm not saying anything is certain, but the same could've been said for the first 3 years of VIIR's development and look how that worked out.

FF7R's development troubles are because cyberconnect2 was working on it, not turning in work up to what S-E wanted (the most that's ever been said why that happened is "it's a sensitive topic"), and then the game was basically started over in-house only keeping some of CC2's assets. It's not like "oh it was delayed because Nomura was working on KH3" or whatever has ever been shown to be a thing - the director duties on FF7R were pretty spread around.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I think we all saw that coming too when Cyberconnect2 was announced as the main developer for it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Fedule posted:

God, gently caress, this new Intermission whack a box is brutal. Any advice? I don't even know if i've found 50k points worth of boxes in here. I'm using throw/retrieve and deadly dodge to clear small crates and art of war for the big ones (and banishment 3 for the room of big ones) but it's not enough. It's never enough. The boxes cannot be whacked.

Don't use art of war.

Throw the shuriken at the large boxes. While it's spinning, use ninjursu to destroy any purple boxes that are in the immediate vicinity. Then use windstorm. Using windstorm while your shuriken is out while do a focused wind attack centered on the shuriken that does a ton of damage (seriously, it is awesome on bosses) that will destroy the large box and any nearby, or at least damage them to within a hit or two of destruction.

It's also faster than art of war.

You can actually clear out that last room full of them if you put the shuriken in the right place.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Use banishment in the last room. It insta destroys all the 1500 boxes there

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Mother fucker. I got 50,000 exactly. The Windstorm tip was gold. It's odd that this doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in the game, it's obvious it does a different attack in each mode but not exactly what those differences are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

VagueRant posted:

Truly will never get over the fact there was a video game sequel to FFVII nine years after its release with a cliffhanger secret ending and not a single person ever gave a poo poo about what happened next.

Secretly hoping the whole Arbiters thing turns out to be the planet getting sick of all the events after FF7's ending and trying to prevent any more retcons from happening. Omega is only the straw that broke the camel's back.