Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fart simpson posted:

is this the vaccine diplomacy ive been hearing about?

https://mobile.twitter.com/USinTT/s...ingawful.com%2F

https://twitter.com/funkydrugmonkey/status/1404320686542262274

you just know the embassy got 1 box of 195 vials and this was the remainder after their staff and families clinic was run. so 115 vials, 4 doses per vial, thats enough for 230 people. maybe they were vaccinating some US citizens there as well as embassy staff or just left a bunch out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

imagine how many people had to sign off on it, like at the pitch or during editing and going all yes, yes this all sounds good

i assume everyone above her was just like haha oh man this is gonna get so many clicks

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

hobbesmaster posted:

https://twitter.com/funkydrugmonkey/status/1404320686542262274

you just know the embassy got 1 box of 195 vials and this was the remainder after their staff and families clinic was run. so 115 vials, 4 doses per vial, thats enough for 230 people. maybe they were vaccinating some US citizens there as well as embassy staff or just left a bunch out

14 staff on the dip list, plus their security teams and locally-engaged staffers

yup that about lines up with my napkin math

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
no more than one other person signed off on that story, there isn't a ton of overhead at online only publications about that sort of thing

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
US Embassay guy deciding to donate the remaining 85 vials after vaccinating his staff and the killer dog mom blogger at the exact same time:

"You know what? I deserve a pat on the back for this"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
https://twitter.com/chiweethegod/status/1404211968873881601?s=21

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

flakeloaf posted:

try "lovely shelter lies about disturbed dog, adopts it out to complete novice, and tells her to gently caress off when the vet and trainer she hired can't fix their animal"

this is a sad story about a troubled animal whose last stop on her way to the needle was somebody who had no idea what she was getting into, and the villain is whatever shithole did this to that dog and refused to take it back

"behavioural euthanasia" is bullshit and there are for sure a ton of spoiled fucks who are casually tossing perfectly good animals in the trash, but idk if this is the story you wanna run with to make that point

definitely don't kill that dog tho, rehome it or surrender it

The shelter is lovely about taking the dog back but at the same time she had a weird savior complex about her dog where she thought a few months of training/a masterclass worth of knowledge would help her fix her problems especially with an older dog. It's beyond lovely to write a woe is me article about how you couldn't fix your dog in a couple of months and had to put it down.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The shelter is lovely about taking the dog back but at the same time she had a weird savior complex about her dog where she thought a few months of training/a masterclass worth of knowledge would help her fix her problems especially with an older dog. It's beyond lovely to write a woe is me article about how you couldn't fix your dog in a couple of months and had to put it down.

:agreed:

that was entirely the wrong tone to take and her mistake was turning it into a story about herself and her experience with the inconvenient dog survivors' mutual-affirmation party

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
she wanted absolution

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The article is really gross. I support prison abolition but people like this should be put into a gulag next to all the idiots that mine crypto currency.

:hmmyes:

when I’m Chairman you’ll have a spot in the glorious regime.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fart simpson posted:

after spring break in my final semester i totally forgot i was taking an elective called international relations. didn’t remember until it showed up on my final exam schedule. i barely passed and it was by far the worst grade i ever got

this happened to me when i had to take a music class so i picked the online history of rock and roll and then forgot about it until i got an email from the prof about needing to turn in 3 months of work in two weeks

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

What you instead should be sad about is that i'm out of loose leaf tea and had to use bagged tea like a peasant. :negative:

AnimeIsTrash fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 14, 2021

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What you instead be sad about is that i'm out of loose leaf tea and had to use bagged tea like a peasant. :negative:

being teabagged is never fun

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

flakeloaf posted:

definitely don't kill that dog tho, rehome it or surrender it

i don't know anything about dog adoption or surrendering, did she just not do enough work to find a place for it? because "nobody would take this dog because it kept biting people" sounds reasonable on its face to someone like me without any relevant experience

(not to defend the article's tone or framing)

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

raminasi posted:

i don't know anything about dog adoption or surrendering, did she just not do enough work to find a place for it? because "nobody would take this dog because it kept biting people" sounds reasonable on its face to someone like me without any relevant experience

We adopted our dog from a canine rescue group and one of the strictest rules they had was that if for any reason the dog was not working out, he would be returned to the organization and not put down or otherwise given away. Had to sign paperwork and everything.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
yeah but my question is what you do if you get bamboozled by a “no takebacks, sucker” shelter like this woman claims she did. or if she’s just lying.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

raminasi posted:

yeah but my question is what you do if you get bamboozled by a “no takebacks, sucker” shelter like this woman claims she did. or if she’s just lying.

I've adopted 4 animals through 3 different shelters, and there almost always was a we will take them back if it doesn't work out clause. Without the shelter putting out a statement I don't think it'll be possible to know. :shrug:

I feel like if I was put in that position i'd go out of my way to find a shelter/new owner for the animal.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

raminasi posted:

with all the glurgey youtube videos out there featuring some agency or other turning a violent, snappy stray into a bouncy outdoor pet, i'm having trouble accepting that someone who was truly motivated to connect a dog with an alternative to death couldn't find a way

she did say she tried, placed ads and contacted two shelters; i've no reason to suspect those things didn't all happen

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

also

Video Nasty posted:

We adopted our dog from a canine rescue group and one of the strictest rules they had was that if for any reason the dog was not working out, he would be returned to the organization and not put down or otherwise given away. Had to sign paperwork and everything.

my dog person bias is showing but if you adopt a dog from a shelter and they do not sternly insist on this clause, run away screaming

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm not a dog person and it's hard to resist my animal (HEH) urge to cluck about the inevitable T+12 month conclusion to the covid dog adoption trend but i will in this case because it's really heartbreaking. cat ppl rarely have to deal with this because cats rarely become like threatening, they just get lovely and aloof and will scratch you. but you gotta deal with a bitey pup somehow

speakin of which how's joe's fighting dogs doin these days

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

they're great, back in the white house, acting completely different. look pretty different too somehow

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one of my neighbors got a covid dog and the thing will bark for hours when the owners aren't around, probably because it's literally never been alone before

Jonny 290 posted:

unfortunately one killed mayor pete, the good news is nobody noticed and they had a mint in box ken doll ready to replace him

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm not a dog person and it's hard to resist my animal (HEH) urge to cluck about the inevitable T+12 month conclusion to the covid dog adoption trend but i will in this case because it's really heartbreaking. cat ppl rarely have to deal with this because cats rarely become like threatening, they just get lovely and aloof and will scratch you. but you gotta deal with a bitey pup somehow

I was super anti-cat growing up because of allergies and the two I'd ever known belonged to my grandma and were sassy curmudgeons that would swipe at us and run off.

My wife's sister adopted one and realized she couldn't keep it so we became the new owner of Moose and then something like two years later we got Jameson from the same basic situation.
Both of them have been absolute game-changers in my opinion of cats forever more. :kiss:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i'd imagine cat owners don't deal with that as often just because it's so easy to dump them outside and then self-delude about their chances

but yeah a friend of mine used to work for a shelter and their cat room was constantly at capacity, apparently people will surrender their cats far far more often than they adopt them, compared to dogs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if anyone sees my posts in the cat thread I help a friend feed ferals and when a new one shows up that isn't a kitten they're almost always abandoned/escaped pets. the good news is those ones are usually chill enough to get rehomed

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Video Nasty posted:

I was super anti-cat growing up because of allergies and the two I'd ever known belonged to my grandma and were sassy curmudgeons that would swipe at us and run off.

My wife's sister adopted one and realized she couldn't keep it so we became the new owner of Moose and then something like two years later we got Jameson from the same basic situation.
Both of them have been absolute game-changers in my opinion of cats forever more. :kiss:

same, i am pretty allergic and our neighbourhood cats were all lovely "outdoor cats" that destroyed and pissed on whatever they couldn't catch and kill and made a weekly mess outta the garbage. whatever pet cats i met were all violent dicks that'd just attack me for seemingly no reason but that's a kid memory talkin

i was turned around by an ex's tuxedo cat that played fetch and didn't attack me or piss everywhere

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i took a rescue dog that was abused and abandoned during the houston floods of 2019 and was aggressive to people in the shelter and they told me that i probably wouldn't be able to handle him and to pick a dog with a calmer temperament but now i have this 100 lbs pit lab doofus that loves the crap out of me

blep

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i got a rescue dog and he is the nicest thing in the world. him and my cat play all the time and sleep next to each other

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

my vaguely controversial take is that dogs are hunter killer animals that we managed to domesticate thousands of years ago by being a convenient hunting partner and many aspects of the 21st century world are really not good for them at all, as evidenced by the number of bizarre show and pocket breeds and other strange ostensibly-canine creatures that barely survive three years before spontaneously generating football-sized tumours from being so terribly inbred

when taking a dog for a walk was just part of your every day survival activities (go to forest, find deer, kill deer, take deer home, feed tribe for a couple days) it made sense to have this somewhat-sentient hunting buddy who could run five times faster than you can in exchange for some meat and a bone. now we lock them in 400 square foot studio apartments and wonder why the call of the wilds causes them to tear furniture up and poo poo on your pillows

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

flakeloaf posted:

with all the glurgey youtube videos out there featuring some agency or other turning a violent, snappy stray into a bouncy outdoor pet, i'm having trouble accepting that someone who was truly motivated to connect a dog with an alternative to death couldn't find a way

she did say she tried, placed ads and contacted two shelters; i've no reason to suspect those things didn't all happen

I don't mind making fun of this particular lady for being a new york times blogger about it but turning a violent dog into a productive member of society is not at all a sure thing. Youtube making it look possible in most/all cases... well, it's misleading.

flakeloaf posted:

my dog person bias is showing but if you adopt a dog from a shelter and they do not sternly insist on this clause, run away screaming

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

qirex posted:

one of my neighbors got a covid dog and the thing will bark for hours when the owners aren't around, probably because it's literally never been alone before

my girlfriend's dog wasn't this way before covid but is now, it's great. i don't understand how the dog doesn't at least tire herself out, barking nonstop for three hours seems exhausting.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/derek8185338005/status/1404190269147283457

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Bossy posted:

I don't mind making fun of this particular lady for being a new york times blogger about it but turning a violent dog into a productive member of society is not at all a sure thing. Youtube making it look possible in most/all cases... well, it's misleading.

that's totally fair; these people are experts with access to a bunch of experience, gear and space she doesn't have and of course they're showing you a moment of their choice from a good day, played over some jaunty sims music

"all dogs are redeemable" is a great thing to say when you're a large human with experience and drugs and a back 40 where you can let the poor creature out to do dog stuff in between feedings. For some animals that's about all you can expect and if you're not cool with that then conjure somebody who is. if you're a writer who's never owned a dog before, anyone suggesting you personally have the means to turn this violent, twitchy animal (and an adult beagle at that) into a cuddly housepet should have their own head examined

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

when taking a dog for a walk was just part of your every day survival activities (go to forest, find deer, kill deer, take deer home, feed tribe for a couple days) it made sense to have this somewhat-sentient hunting buddy who could run five times faster than you can in exchange for some meat and a bone. now we lock them in 400 square foot studio apartments and wonder why the call of the wilds causes them to tear furniture up and poo poo on your pillows

people make a similar argument in defense of their "outdoor cats" and it's infuriating

"but he destroys my poo poo if i keep him inside" well letting him destroying our poo poo after you let him out isn't the answer even on a world where the furry little rear end in a top hat doesn't get some weird disease, or hosed up by other wild animals, or hit by a car

i will say the arctium flowers look very nice around our bird feeder though

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/m_asinmerry/status/1404517922396160007?s=21

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol forever at texas

Nevergirls
Jul 4, 2004

It's not right living this way, not letting others know what's true and what's false.
Abbott is clearly in a race with DeSantis to pass as many lib-owning culture war bills as possible as a lead-in to a run for the presidency, not sure why he would be expected to, you know, govern

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
well, if anything can radicalize texans not being able to run the thermostat at 65 degrees all summer is that thing

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
how long before the state prisons start forcing inmates to manpower a/c units?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
what a/c units

oh oh like for people outside

cause

https://twitter.com/MC_Hyperbole/status/1404583048369393664