Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Willo567 posted:

Do they even still have those warnings not to sit too close to the TV in a dark area anymore?

They do, they just don't show that message for online streams. Guess what simulcasts are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

why would someone have dropped 300 slimes its been perfect forever.

except the part where she let a capitalist into her house.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i didnt like the manga

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Show's nice IMO, a good friendly B+, only slightly behind the Slime Diaries show for nice fluffy fantasy slice of life

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
That's how I feel. It's not bad, but not truly memorable. Then again, I've got shows like "Odd Taxi" to compare it to and after today's episode...

...holy poo poo.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i don't think i'd try to compare a fantasy sitcom to a crime thriller but that's just me

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i wouldn't compare anything to oddtaxi because that's just unfair

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

among men, lu bu, among seasonals, oddtaxi

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

i don't think i'd try to compare a fantasy sitcom to a crime thriller but that's just me

Why not?

They both have the same opportunity cost for the viewer. They're running at the same time. They're even streaming on the same services.

Yes, they have different goals, and that should be brought up in the comparison, but this whole "two things must be entirely identical or else the comparison is invalid" thing is worse than worthless. Even comparing, say, Evangelion and Pop Team Epic can look at how effectively the same tools were used to different ends.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

Even comparing, say, Evangelion and Pop Team Epic

this one's fair game because they both have the "Dementia" genre tag on MAL

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

so what've been the big AOTS contenders this season? thinking i'll pick up another show, i really really liked 86 and it sounded like there were a few other big knockout animes this season. i think i've heard a lot of good buzz around "vivy"?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ninjewtsu posted:

so what've been the big AOTS contenders this season? thinking i'll pick up another show, i really really liked 86 and it sounded like there were a few other big knockout animes this season. i think i've heard a lot of good buzz around "vivy"?

Vivy, To Your Eternity, 86, Odd Taxi

Honestly like half the season would be AotS in other seasons.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Dynazenon also very good

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

chiasaur11 posted:

Why not?

They both have the same opportunity cost for the viewer. They're running at the same time. They're even streaming on the same services.

Yes, they have different goals, and that should be brought up in the comparison, but this whole "two things must be entirely identical or else the comparison is invalid" thing is worse than worthless. Even comparing, say, Evangelion and Pop Team Epic can look at how effectively the same tools were used to different ends.

I mean there's degrees though right? I could compare watching your favourite show to having a nice meal at a restaurant and we'd probably consider that to not be a very helpful comparison.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The latest episode of Dynazenon cemented it as just a nice, chill thing to contrast with the more focused character piece of Gridman

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Despite being sequel seasons, Megalobox S2 and Fruits Basket S3 are probably up there too.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Slime Isekai Diaries feels just as comfy as Yuru Camp.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

Odd Taxi definitely and Shadows House I guess

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

ninjewtsu posted:

Nomad

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Godzilla Singular Point.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Super Cub is my AOTS, To Your Eternity and Slime Diaries need more love

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

eternity is good, it's just a solid adaptation of a known quantity so i never feel like there's much to say about it. it also isn't even getting to my favorite stuff so fie!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i'm enjoying the gugu arc a lot more than the march arc

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Odd Taxi is best of the season for me, but Super Cub is close. Also been enjoying To Your Eternity, I don’t know the source material at all but I wanna know what that drat orb is gonna get up to next.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
blue reflection ray is still pretty strong, and very overlooked. there's one episode thats kind of weak, an extended fight scene that the show is not at all up to animating, but several episodes after that pass without fights at all so i get why its there.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Pretty Boy Detective Club hasn't gotten much discussion, but it's another NISIOISIN property by SHAFT so I think it's at least worth including on the list.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I really wish Shadows House would get a second cour now that we've finally gotten a glimpse of the shape of things in the house as they truly are :suspense:.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

ODDTAXI, Dynazenon, Thunderbolt Fantasy are my top 3, plus Pokemon is still a lot of fun.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Between Vivy, 86, and Godzilla SP, this has been one hell of a strong season for sci-fi.

Oddly weak season for comedy though. I tried Full Dive, Combatants, House Hunting Dragon, and Slime, but none of them got a laugh out of me.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Despite being sequel seasons, Megalobox S2 and Fruits Basket S3 are probably up there too.

Megalobox season 2 started out strong, but I was pretty disappointed with the latest episode.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

i wouldn't compare anything to oddtaxi because that's just unfair

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rand Brittain posted:

Pretty Boy Detective Club hasn't gotten much discussion, but it's another NISIOISIN property by SHAFT so I think it's at least worth including on the list.

Yeah, I've had trouble keeping up with it just because of how jam-packed this season is for great anime. Next season is looking to be a breather in comparison, so I plan to catch up on what I missed then.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Megalobox season 2 started out strong, but I was pretty disappointed with the latest episode.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Vivy and Odd Taxi are my tops this season, Odd Taxi has been absolutely stellar and I can't wait to rewatch it after finishing it and see it through a new lens. Vivy has been very very good as well but I have a slight fear it won't stick the landing. Haven't watched this weeks yet for either show.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Epi Lepi posted:

Vivy and Odd Taxi are my tops this season, Odd Taxi has been absolutely stellar and I can't wait to rewatch it after finishing it and see it through a new lens. Vivy has been very very good as well but I have a slight fear it won't stick the landing. Haven't watched this weeks yet for either show.

I'm a bit disappointed with the latest episode of Vivy and firing the Singularity project for the second time... just to go back a few hours to after the War has already started and casualties are mounting. Sure does suck for those tens of thousands of people that have needlessly died when we could've gone back 100 years again and re-done it all properly in a much better way with proper foresight!

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm a bit disappointed with the latest episode of Vivy and firing the Singularity project for the second time... just to go back a few hours to after the War has already started and casualties are mounting. Sure does suck for those tens of thousands of people that have needlessly died when we could've gone back 100 years again and re-done it all properly in a much better way with proper foresight!

Eh, that doesn't bother me as much. We have no idea what infrastructure the time travel project requires, but I'm willing to bet it's a good deal more messed up than it was when it was first used, so I'm willing to accept that they don't have as much freedom as before. Yea, it'd be nice if Vivy got to go back the full 100 years and stop Momoka(?) from dying along with every other tragedy (which was my initial prediction as to how it'd go), but I'm kind of glad they didn't go that predictable route. Things are sure going to suck for AIs after this though, I don't see how ANY nation doesn't outlaw them after a global genocide attempt.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Super Cub and To your Eternity are my top picks of the season with Shadow House just behind. Have a few shows that I really like this season though even if they aren't near those three though (the ZLS can get up there with a strong ending)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Malsangoroth posted:

Eh, that doesn't bother me as much. We have no idea what infrastructure the time travel project requires, but I'm willing to bet it's a good deal more messed up than it was when it was first used, so I'm willing to accept that they don't have as much freedom as before. Yea, it'd be nice if Vivy got to go back the full 100 years and stop Momoka(?) from dying along with every other tragedy (which was my initial prediction as to how it'd go), but I'm kind of glad they didn't go that predictable route. Things are sure going to suck for AIs after this though, I don't see how ANY nation doesn't outlaw them after a global genocide attempt.

They're going back right to the point when they had time to stop Osamu getting killed when he initially triggered the Singularity project and choosing not to in order to aid Toak sooner instead. There's no reason they couldn't intervene and jump back to start from there.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Dynazenon and Fruits Basket are my personal top picks this season. Do movies count too? Then add in Gundam Hathaway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
These Snow White Notes is still very good. The latest episode was a real killer.