Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Let’s play some more Aurora! What’s Aurora? This poo poo is Aurora:

If that didn’t send you screaming out of the thread, then you’re the right kind of weirdo for this LP! You see, there once was a guy named Steve, who was a big fan of the board game Starfire. In fact Steve loved Starfire so much, he made a bunch of tools to play it on his computer! And he did it using the only programming method he knew: Visual Basic 6. Yes, really! But the result was something special, if you’re an odd sort like us. Aurora is a free 4x space game that looks like a geometry proof and controls like 90’s accounting software. It’s about as grog as they come. The vanilla game is honestly a massive pain, but where Aurora shines is its suite of GM tools for crafting custom scenarios! Much like Dwarf Fortress, the real game is the stories you tell in it with a gaggle of goons hooting and hollering about what to do next.

There have been a lot of Aurora LPs, so why another? Well, people loving them is a good enough reason. But I also want to try something a little different. These LPs usually give us epic tales of humankind’s ventures into the stars with grand battles, alternate timelines, deep galactic history, cosmic horror, weird dead aliens, weird living aliens, weird aliens trying to kill us all, you get the idea. Instead this is a small story about a tribe of survivors on a nothing rock, at the rear end-end of humanity... or rather what’s left of humanity.

What To Expect
  • We’ll be playing Aurora C#. This is the revamped edition that uses a real programming language, offers some new features, and doesn’t run like poo poo!
  • If you’re a veteran of Saros’ LP, this will all feel familiar. Voting will be simple - there’s no organized legislative process, government positions, etc. Expect a pretty even mix of combat and story similar to his.
  • You are not some great empire (yet?). You don’t command mighty fleets or armies. You’re just folks getting by in a dangerous world, so be prepared for struggle.
  • I want the Sol system to feel vast in a way that it normally doesn’t. So first, this is going to be a low tech game. Secondly, I’ve done a little database modding - more on this later, but basically fuel and life support will be constrained to fit the scale I have in mind.
  • We’ll play fast and loose with economy and production stuff. We’re not going to spend our time tracking stockpiles of Aurora’s dozen different mineral types.

Get Aurora C# here for free! Make sure to download and apply the patch. The latest version as of this post is 1.13.

Some other Aurora LPs.
Mister Bates’ LP where Aurora meets alt-history communist model UN. Still going now!
bgreman’s gigantic LP that got us started.
Saros’ LP. The most fun I’ve had in Let’s Play.
Virtual Russian’s Aurora C# release game. This one’s particularly good if you’re new and want to learn the mechanics.
And a couple more by Bremen and others that I can’t find right now.

Now, let’s get to it…

The Catastrophe didn’t come until later, but the 21st century was when the Earth truly died. The slow agonies of climate doomed the old world long before the first bomb fell. It was washed away not only by the oceans, but by agricultural collapse, the billions of refugees, and the “police actions” of the great powers. When Earth’s finale arrived in the 22nd century, it at least got things over with quickly.

As the seas rose to swallow them, the nations of Earth devoted themselves to a last feat of humanity. The solar system, brought into reach by the almost-magical Trans-Newtonian elements, was said to offer limitless resources and room for the displaced masses. It’s debatable whether this panacea was genuine - the hope of salvation may have mattered more than the reality of it. Regardless, the Uplift was the last and grandest landrush. Over sixty years, nearly 500 million people would ascend Earth’s elevators to make new homes on any rock that could sustain them, or in the cold of space.

The colonies of the United Nations Offworlding Project were joined by those ruled by the hungry great powers. Even as the planet’s death throes progressed, China, Russia, India, and the North Atlantic Space Development Treaty all vied for sovereignty, resources, and might in the new frontier. The moon was soon an armed camp from which they extended their grasp to the inner planets, the belt, and in the final years, to Jupiter.

Those countless glittering lights would bear witness to Earth’s end. No one living knows for sure who fired first, or why, and only an irrelevant few still care. All that matters is that, in the course of a few months, the birthplace of humanity was no more. Thermonuclear blasts were followed by other horrors - weaponized microorganisms and nanites. By the time the asteroids fell, little was left to destroy. Meanwhile, the war in space unravelled the fragile diasporic civilization. The carnage only ground to a halt as navies exhausted themselves or accepted that their governments were defunct. With most shipping and infrastructure wrecked, military malware rampaging through data systems, and scores of colonies turned to tombs, humanity settled into denouement.

For decades, the survivors have struggled in seldom-broken isolation. Each colony has limped along in quiet desperation, stretching local resources to maintain the necessities of life. One by one, many of the points of light have flickered out. The only interruptions of The Long Silence have been rare trade here, the odd raid there, or perhaps a toothless declaration by some presumptuous warlord.

But after thirty-six years in darkness, humanity stirs. Fledgling political powers begin to coalesce. Priceless fragments of lost technology are discovered. The first new ships since the war are constructed, at heroic effort, on the few worlds capable of such a feat. New peoples who have lost so much, and yet endure, once again look outward. An unknown, untamed solar system awaits. The old world is gone. The new worlds will be what they make of them.

----

quote:

Stay tuned, I’ll shortly post more to orient you! In the meantime, why not sign up to be killed?

Aurora C# added a bunch of fancy officer roles you can pick from! Your forces will start very small in this LP, but fortunately the new staff jobs create more participation opportunities.
  • Fleet Commander - We probably just need 1-2 at a time. Improves fleet Reaction.
  • Commanding Officer - Every ship has one, even fighters. Grants various bonuses.
  • Executive Officer - Almost anything except small craft will have one. Gradually improves Crew Grade.
  • Tactical Officer - May be present on medium or large ships with major weaponry. Improves chance-to-hit rolls.
  • Chief Engineer - Mostly appears on larger ships. Improves maintenance and damage control, and reduces the chance of secondary explosions when hit.
  • Commander Air Group - Only on carriers. Speeds up fueling, arming, and repair of fighters.
  • Science Officer - Won’t be seen much in this LP. Probably this will be more used narratively than mechanically.

In addition, Aurora C# introduced a whole new ground combat system which creates greater opportunity to participate as a ground forces officer. I’ll regularly offer chances for ground combat and boarding actions. The new system lets you design infantry, various vehicles, artillery, logistics, and marine units, and features air support, orbital bombardment, logistics, and surface-to-orbit weapons. You can also define force structures with companies, battalions, rear-area units, etc. Your capabilities will start small and grow as we uncover new technologies!

There are also civilian roles such as scientists and administrators. There won’t be much mechanical use for these in the LP, but you can appear in the narrative! Feel free to be creative with roles.

Roles won’t have any effect on voting, it’s just for fun.

Space Dorf Me!

Fray fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Discord Server: https://discord.gg/TeY8YTuc3s

The Story So Far
Welcome to Hektor

Chapter 1 - The Wages of Faith
A Divine Homecoming
Enter Achilles
The Grin
Turnabout
Sacrilege

Side Story: Welcome to Engineering
Interlude: Small Pond

Chapter 2 - There Goes the Neighborhood
The Death of the Asama Maru
Locales: Jupiter
L4 Cluster Unification Projects
Locates: Luna, and Project Selections
Door to Door Salesman

Maps

L4 Cluster, 20 October, 2153

Solar System, 3 November, 2153

Inner System, 3 November, 2153

Gallery

-by WINNERSH TRIANGLE

-by frankenfreak

-by Boat Stuck

Dr. Snark posted:

TNE arms in the Solar East
Odysseus attacking Meriones
Ajax is mad at Achilles
And Tecuer do whatever she please
Looks like another threat to cluster peace
For the Envoy

Things got hot in old Chiron
Ashes got caught with her lights on
He's got "diplomatic immunity"
He's got a lethal starship that everyone sees
For the Envoy
Send the Envoy
Send the Envoy

Whenever there's a crisis
The Hektorites send the Envoy
Guns on Telamon
Whooooa Agamemnon

TNE arms in the Solar East
Odysseus attacking Meriones
Ajax is mad at Achilles
And Tecuer do whatever she please
For the Envoy
Send the Envoy
Send the Envoy
Send the Envoy

-[REDACTED], as recorded drunkenly singing in Ashes' newly acquired engineering bay in an ill-advised attempt to test announcement systems in the area. Names have been redacted to protect the guilty.

Your Ship Classes

quote:

From the Ashes class Command Ship 25,142 tons 352 Crew 1,714 BP TCS 503 TH 473 EM 0
939 km/s Armour 3-76 Shields 0-0 HTK 131 Sensors 12/8/0/0 DCR 25 PPV 6
Maint Life 4.61 Years MSP 1,065 AFR 202% IFR 2.8% 1YR 82 5YR 1,224 Max Repair 125 MSP
Hangar Deck Capacity 3,000 tons Troop Capacity 2,000 tons Cryogenic Berths 200 Cargo Shuttle Multiplier 1
Senior Captain Control Rating 3 BRG AUX FLG
Intended Deployment Time: 6 months Flight Crew Berths 60 Morale Check Required
6x Inoperable Deck (1000 ton)

Overcharged Freighter NTE EP157.50-0.75-2100t (3) Power 472.5 Fuel Use 47.54% Signature 157.5 Explosion 7%
Fuel Capacity 70,000 Litres Range 1.1 billion km (12 days at full power)

Modified Mining Drill Beam (Str3, 100kkm) (1) Range 80,000km TS: 2,000 km/s Power 7-3 ROF 15
Drill Control System R80-TS1250 (70%) (1) Max Range: 80,000 km TS: 1,250 km/s 27 23 20 16 12 8 4 0 0 0
Backup BFC System R20-TS1250 (SW) (50%) (1) Max Range: 20,000 km TS: 1,250 km/s 16 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Technodinamika Pressurised Water Reactor R3 (1) Total Power Output 3.1 Exp 5%

Enlarged Active Search Sensor AS34-R80 (70%) (1) GPS 2000 Range 34.4m km Resolution 80
Civilian Thermal Sensor TH1.5-12.0 (70%) (1) Sensitivity 12 Detect Sig Strength 1000: 27.4m km
Civilian EM Sensor EM1.0-8.0 (70%) (1) Sensitivity 8 Detect Sig Strength 1000: 22.4m km

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
Note: The “Inoperable Deck” components were created using the new Roleplay Components feature. These components are dead weight, but I’ll periodically give you choices to replace them with new stuff!

quote:

Su-108 class Fighter 500 tons 19 Crew 36.7 BP TCS 10 TH 24 EM 0
2383 km/s Armour 1-5 Shields 0-0 HTK 3 Sensors 0/0/0/0 DCR 0 PPV 3
Maint Life 6.02 Years MSP 19 AFR 20% IFR 0.3% 1YR 1 5YR 13 Max Repair 11.9 MSP
Lieutenant Commander Control Rating 1
Intended Deployment Time: 1.5 days Morale Check Required

UEC Fighter NTR EP23.80-1.4-170t (1) Power 23.8 Fuel Use 795.45% Signature 23.8 Explosion 14%
Fuel Capacity 1,550 Litres Range 0.07 billion km (8 hours at full power)

Russian Navy 10cm C2 Infrared Laser (1) Range 30,000km TS: 2,383 km/s Power 3-2 RM 10,000 km ROF 10
Almaz-Antey Fighter BFC R64-TS1250 (SW) (70%) (1) Max Range: 64,000 km TS: 1,250 km/s 26 21 17 12 7 2 0 0 0 0
Technodinamika Pressurised Water Reactor R2 (1) Total Power Output 2 Exp 5%

Ruselectronics Fighter Sensor AS3-R8 (70%) (1) GPS 8 Range 3.2m km Resolution 8

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and planetary interaction

quote:

Osaka (Salvaged) class Destroyer 3,569 tons 89 Crew 331.4 BP TCS 71 TH 72 EM 0
1012 km/s Armour 4-20 Shields 0-0 HTK 25 Sensors 11/11/0/0 DCR 0 PPV 14
Maint Life 3.96 Years MSP 229 AFR 204% IFR 2.8% 1YR 23 5YR 350 Max Repair 24.4 MSP
Captain Control Rating 2 BRG AUX
Intended Deployment Time: 4 months Morale Check Required

Built Ford Tough NTE EP36.12 (2) Power 72.2 Fuel Use 144.50% Signature 36.12 Explosion 8%
Fuel Capacity 25,000 Litres Range 0.9 billion km (9 days at full power)

Oerlikon 12cm Railgun V20/C3 (2x4) Range 40,000km TS: 2,000 km/s Power 6-3 RM 20,000 km ROF 10
Degraded R20/C2 High Power Microwave (1) Range 20,000km TS: 2,000 km/s Power 4-2 ROF 10
Degraded NASDT Fire Control R80-TS1250 (50%) (1) Max Range: 80,000 km TS: 1,250 km/s 27 23 20 16 12 8 4 0 0 0
Backup BFC System R20-TS1250 (SW) (50%) (1) Max Range: 20,000 km TS: 1,250 km/s 16 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Westinghouse Pressurised Water Reactor R8 (1) Total Power Output 8.1 Exp 5%

Missile Sensor AS2-R1 (70%) (1) GPS 2 Range 2m km MCR 184.5k km Resolution 1
Degraded Seimens Active Sensor AS19-R60 (50%) (1) GPS 600 Range 19.8m km Resolution 60
Raythkheed Thermal Sensor TH1.0-11.0 (50%) (1) Sensitivity 11 Detect Sig Strength 1000: 26.2m km
Qualcomm EM Sensor EM1.0-11.0 (50%) (1) Sensitivity 11 Detect Sig Strength 1000: 26.2m km

quote:

Steregush class Armed Rockhopper 1,298 tons 35 Crew 138.2 BP TCS 26 TH 31 EM 0
1196 km/s Armour 3-10 Shields 0-0 HTK 12 Sensors 8/8/0/0 DCR 0 PPV 3
Maint Life 5.93 Years MSP 113 AFR 67% IFR 0.9% 1YR 5 5YR 82 Max Repair 20 MSP
Commander Control Rating 1 BRG
Intended Deployment Time: 2 months Morale Check Required

Retrofitted Rockhopper NTE EP31.05-0.9-345t (1) Power 31.0 Fuel Use 185.02% Signature 31.05 Explosion 9%
Fuel Capacity 5,500 Litres Range 0.4 billion km (3 days at full power)

Decrepit 10cm C3 Infrared Laser (1) Range 30,000km TS: 2,000 km/s Power 3-3 RM 10,000 km ROF 5
Fire Control Computer R80-TS1250 (SW) (70%) (1) Max Range: 80,000 km TS: 1,250 km/s 27 23 20 16 12 8 4 0 0 0

Picket Active Search Sensor AS13-R20 (70%) (1) GPS 200 Range 13.7m km Resolution 20
Civilian EM Sensor EM1.0-8.0 (70%) (1) Sensitivity 8 Detect Sig Strength 1000: 22.4m km
Thermal Sensor TH1.0-8.0 (70%) (1) Sensitivity 8 Detect Sig Strength 1000: 22.4m km

quote:

Baboon class Landing Ship 500 tons 8 Crew 32.7 BP TCS 10 TH 13 EM 0
1302 km/s Armour 1-5 Shields 0-0 HTK 2 Sensors 0/0/0/0 DCR 0 PPV 0
Maint Life 2.84 Years MSP 9 AFR 20% IFR 0.3% 1YR 2 5YR 24 Max Repair 15 MSP
Troop Capacity 250 tons Drop Capable

UEC Shuttle NTE EP13.00-1.3-100t (1) Power 13 Fuel Use 861.73% Signature 13 Explosion 13%
Fuel Capacity 2,000 Litres Range 0.08 billion km (17 hours at full power)

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and planetary interaction
This design is classed as a Troop Transport for auto-assignment purposes

quote:

Gibbon class Boarding Shuttle 473 tons 8 Crew 26.5 BP TCS 9 TH 13 EM 0
1375 km/s Armour 1-5 Shields 0-0 HTK 2 Sensors 0/0/0/0 DCR 0 PPV 0
Maint Life 3.57 Years MSP 8 AFR 18% IFR 0.2% 1YR 1 5YR 14 Max Repair 9 MSP
Troop Capacity 250 tons Boarding Capable

UEC Shuttle NTE EP13.00-1.3-100t (1) Power 13 Fuel Use 861.73% Signature 13 Explosion 13%
Fuel Capacity 2,000 Litres Range 0.09 billion km (17 hours at full power)

Fray fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 8, 2021

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Looks like an exciting take on these!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
They told me service guarantees citizenship and I signed up.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Very nice and definitely an interesting take. I wish I'd got to wrap up my own LP like I imagined but IRL intervened and the save itself was so bloated as to be non-functional for any actual gameplay.

+/- Fanatics

Saros fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 14, 2021

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Saros posted:

Very nice and definitely an interesting take. I wish I'd got to wrap up my own LP like I imagined but IRL intervened and the save itself was so bloated as to be non-functional for any actual gameplay.

+/- Fanatics

Well as much fun as I had, it does seem that you've been putting your time to more important use the last 16 months or so! Didn't know about your save file getting bogged down. Can you elaborate on that? I guess I'll have to take steps to avoid it happening to mine.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I'm here on the GROUND FLOOR of yet another Aurora LP.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Dibs on Fleet Commander

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Excited to get in on the ground floor for this one

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I remember mentioning in one of the past Aurora LPs (Saros' in fact IIRC) that having this weird post-apocalyptic vibe to an Aurora game would be pretty interesting - glad someone else was on the same wavelength as me but had more ambition to follow through with it.

Also:

Saros posted:

+/- Fanatics

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

He'll yeah, let's burn this solar system to the ground again

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Getting in on the ground floor, love me a Foundation game. Just gotta figure out if we're Terminus or Star's End

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Dr. Snark posted:

I remember mentioning in one of the past Aurora LPs (Saros' in fact IIRC) that having this weird post-apocalyptic vibe to an Aurora game would be pretty interesting - glad someone else was on the same wavelength as me but had more ambition to follow through with it.

Also:

Alt title: Shadow Aurora

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Here for service! And probably horrible death!

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Always enjoy these. Please dorf me as some kind of science wonk.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Let's go! I'm signing up as a civilian scientist specialized in biology and how to keep the colonies running but I'm all up for investigating aliens if they show up

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fray posted:

Alt title: Shadow Aurora

Grand campaign LP that uses Shadow Empire maps to replace Aurora’s ground combat

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I want to captain a ship that shoots things, please and thank you. :v:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Signing up as a fighter jock, entirely to ensure that fighters are a thing.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh boy another one, who're we nuking today? We've nuked capitalists and more capitalists before, but this universe's supply of capitalists seem to have already nuked themselves. An intriguing problem.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

habituallyred posted:

Signing up as a fighter jock, entirely to ensure that fighters are a thing.

Fighters are a thing!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'm down to try and keep up with one of these from the ground floor.

I'd also like to be killed horribly bathed in glory on the frontlines :hist101:

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

The Story of 624 Hektor

In Jupiter’s orbit, at the leading and trailing Lagrange points, lie the Jovian trojans. These asteroid clusters were among the last regions reached by the Uplift, and once promised to serve as critical waystations on the road to the outer system. The mighty JoveRunners, the largest and last freighters of the old world, crossed the distance from Earth to construct the myriad necessities of a deep space logistics hub.

And of course they brought people. The Russians held the reins at this edge of civilization, but a human medley accompanied them. The biggest rock, and the planned center of operations in the L4 cluster, was 624 Hektor. This oblong, 370 km asteroid received heavy investment befitting its expected importance. Naturally, the war terminated these ambitions. Hektor, as remote as any colony in existence, transformed from boom-town to the echo of a dead dream. The Nineveh, the last JoveRunner to reach the cluster, floated empty in its tethers. Alone in their perch, the Hektorites watched the system fall to ruin.

Their obscurity afforded them relative safety, with one exception. In the waning days of the war, traffic control blared alerts of a plasma torch approaching. A day later, a battered American destroyer loomed overhead. The rogue captain’s demands were simple: accept him and his officers as rulers, or suffer unmistakable consequences. As the deadline neared, a lowly dockyard mechanic and her friends slipped out an airlock and drifted kilometers to their goal - the abandoned Russian defense battery. There, over ten hours, they did the impossible. With the authorization systems bypassed, and only minutes to spare, the guns turned skyward and opened fire. After a ninety second battle, air gushed from the stricken ship.

That young mechanic’s name was Mirela Bastos Dias, and over the next thirty-six years she would rise to lead the Hektorites. As the Long Silence nears its end, she and her people believe they will soon meet their destiny. The great ship Nineveh, now rechristened From the Ashes, has been painstakingly transformed into an armed, mobile base of operations. A patched destroyer is dwarfed beside it. Tomorrow they depart to seek their destiny in the unknown.

------------------------------------------------

Taking Stock

Right then, Hektorites, let’s take a look at your little home!

Here you are, near the center of the cluster. You have some scattered neighbors in green, which were minor outposts before the war. Nearby populations are mostly small and impoverished, with just a few meager ships and troops. Agamemnon and Teucer are more significant than average, and the latter is notable as the primary source of sorium fuel in the region. A greater concern lies spinward - Achilles was once a Russian Navy patrol station, and its inhabitants are known to have put some old hardware back into service. In recent years, they’ve exploited their position to establish hegemony over several nearby rocks. The militant Achillean League is thus the leading regional power.

You’ve struggled to keep the air and water running through the decades of the Silence, but thanks to Hektor’s provisioning as a spaceport hub and Dias’ leadership, you’ve come through. Although the colony’s original Russian sponsorship left its mark, your people vary greatly. Countless languages greet you in the avenue corridors of the colony, but Russian or English will get you by. Hektor was built to serve the logistical needs of deep space operations, and was state-of-the-art at the time of the Catastrophe. Your maintenance, construction, and mining abilities are excellent, though the facilities are rather run down by now. You have a small fuel plant, but that won’t be enough in the long run. You have a repair shipyard (a recently added Aurora feature) which can repair and scrap ships, but not create new ones.

Military assets were more limited; The Russians left only the railgun battery and a few aged fightercraft when they pulled out during the war. The rest of your armaments are thanks to the ingenuity of your people. The colony’s greatest achievement is the ex-JoveRunner From the Ashes. Many of her immense cargo decks now host the various systems of a mobile command center and multipurpose naval vessel. Her engines have been retrofitted to produce military speeds, at the cost of their once-legendary fuel economy. Much of the old lady is still dark, but with continued work you may install new components to expand her capabilities.

quote:

From the Ashes class Command Ship 25,142 tons 352 Crew 1,714 BP TCS 503 TH 473 EM 0
939 km/s Armour 3-76 Shields 0-0 HTK 131 Sensors 12/8/0/0 DCR 25 PPV 6
Maint Life 4.61 Years MSP 1,065 AFR 202% IFR 2.8% 1YR 82 5YR 1,224 Max Repair 125 MSP
Hangar Deck Capacity 3,000 tons Troop Capacity 2,000 tons Cryogenic Berths 200 Cargo Shuttle Multiplier 1
Senior Captain Control Rating 3 BRG AUX FLG
Intended Deployment Time: 6 months Flight Crew Berths 60 Morale Check Required
6x Inoperable Deck (1000 ton)

Overcharged Freighter NTE EP157.50-0.75-2100t (3) Power 472.5 Fuel Use 47.54% Signature 157.5 Explosion 7%
Fuel Capacity 70,000 Litres Range 1.1 billion km (12 days at full power)

Modified Mining Drill Beam (Str3, 100kkm) (1) Range 80,000km TS: 2,000 km/s Power 7-3 ROF 15
Drill Control System R80-TS1250 (70%) (1) Max Range: 80,000 km TS: 1,250 km/s 27 23 20 16 12 8 4 0 0 0

Enlarged Active Search Sensor AS34-R80 (70%) (1) GPS 2000 Range 34.4m km Resolution 80
Civilian Thermal Sensor TH1.5-12.0 (70%) (1) Sensitivity 12 Detect Sig Strength 1000: 27.4m km

Note: The “Inoperable Deck” components were created using the new Roleplay Components feature. These components are dead weight, but I’ll periodically give you choices to replace them with new stuff!

When the Russians pulled out during the war, they left a small squadron of aged fighters behind.

quote:

Su-108 class Fighter 500 tons 19 Crew 36.7 BP TCS 10 TH 24 EM 0
2383 km/s Armour 1-5 Shields 0-0 HTK 3 Sensors 0/0/0/0 DCR 0 PPV 3
Maint Life 6.02 Years MSP 19 AFR 20% IFR 0.3% 1YR 1 5YR 13 Max Repair 11.9 MSP

UEC Fighter NTR EP23.80-1.4-170t (1) Power 23.8 Fuel Use 795.45% Signature 23.8 Explosion 14%
Fuel Capacity 1,550 Litres Range 0.07 billion km (8 hours at full power)

Russian Navy 10cm C2 Infrared Laser (1) Range 30,000km TS: 2,383 km/s Power 3-2 RM 10,000 km ROF 10
Almaz-Antey Fighter BFC R64-TS1250 (SW) (70%) (1) Max Range: 64,000 km TS: 1,250 km/s 26 21 17 12 7 2 0 0 0 0
Technodinamika Pressurised Water Reactor R2 (1) Total Power Output 2 Exp 5%

Ruselectronics Fighter Sensor AS3-R8 (70%) (1) GPS 8 Range 3.2m km Resolution 8

The destroyer Alexi, formerly the USSF Burnside, was crippled thanks to the heroism of Dias’ circle in the final days of the war. The derelict was towed in, patched and pressurized, and over decades the dockworkers have done their best to put her back into fighting shape. Not all of her advanced systems, or her original composite armor, could be replaced but still, a largely intact pre-Catastrophe warship is a priceless artifact.

quote:

Osaka (Salvaged) class Destroyer 3,569 tons 89 Crew 331.4 BP TCS 71 TH 72 EM 0
1012 km/s Armour 4-20 Shields 0-0 HTK 25 Sensors 11/11/0/0 DCR 0 PPV 14
Maint Life 3.96 Years MSP 229 AFR 204% IFR 2.8% 1YR 23 5YR 350 Max Repair 24.4 MSP
Captain Control Rating 2 BRG AUX
Intended Deployment Time: 4 months Morale Check Required

Built Ford Tough NTE EP36.12 (2) Power 72.2 Fuel Use 144.50% Signature 36.12 Explosion 8%
Fuel Capacity 25,000 Litres Range 0.9 billion km (9 days at full power)

Oerlikon 12cm Railgun V20/C3 (2x4) Range 40,000km TS: 2,000 km/s Power 6-3 RM 20,000 km ROF 10
Degraded R20/C2 High Power Microwave (1) Range 20,000km TS: 2,000 km/s Power 4-2 ROF 10
Degraded NASDT Fire Control R80-TS1250 (50%) (1) Max Range: 80,000 km TS: 1,250 km/s 27 23 20 16 12 8 4 0 0 0
Westinghouse Pressurised Water Reactor R8 (1) Total Power Output 8.1 Exp 5%

Missile Sensor AS2-R1 (70%) (1) GPS 2 Range 2m km MCR 184.5k km Resolution 1
Degraded Seimens Active Sensor AS19-R60 (50%) (1) GPS 600 Range 19.8m km Resolution 60
Raythkheed Thermal Sensor TH1.0-11.0 (50%) (1) Sensitivity 11 Detect Sig Strength 1000: 26.2m km
Qualcomm EM Sensor EM1.0-11.0 (50%) (1) Sensitivity 11 Detect Sig Strength 1000: 26.2m km

Like most survivors, you’ve strapped weapons onto whatever rustbuckets you could get your mitts on. Ersatz combat ships such as these are ubiquitous and provide their owners with a semblance of fighting power, but cannot stand against a true warship.

quote:

Steregush class Armed Rockhopper 1,298 tons 35 Crew 138.2 BP TCS 26 TH 31 EM 0
1196 km/s Armour 3-10 Shields 0-0 HTK 12 Sensors 8/8/0/0 DCR 0 PPV 3
Maint Life 5.93 Years MSP 113 AFR 67% IFR 0.9% 1YR 5 5YR 82 Max Repair 20 MSP
Commander Control Rating 1 BRG
Intended Deployment Time: 2 months Morale Check Required

Retrofitted Rockhopper NTE EP31.05-0.9-345t (1) Power 31.0 Fuel Use 185.02% Signature 31.05 Explosion 9%
Fuel Capacity 5,500 Litres Range 0.4 billion km (3 days at full power)

Decrepit 10cm C3 Infrared Laser (1) Range 30,000km TS: 2,000 km/s Power 3-3 RM 10,000 km ROF 5
Fire Control Computer R80-TS1250 (SW) (70%) (1) Max Range: 80,000 km TS: 1,250 km/s 27 23 20 16 12 8 4 0 0 0

Picket Active Search Sensor AS13-R20 (70%) (1) GPS 200 Range 13.7m km Resolution 20
Thermal Sensor TH1.0-8.0 (70%) (1) Sensitivity 8 Detect Sig Strength 1000: 22.4m km

Finally, your people maintain a militia with light weapons fabricated by the dock workshops. For tougher fighting, the colony saw fit to mount weapons on a limited number of its powered mining exosuits. In your travels, you should seek out technologies to build more advanced equipment such as combat vehicles, heavier artillery, or fire directors for precision orbital bombardment. You’ve also retrofitted some cargo shuttles as landing or boarding craft. These can drop your assault battalion under fire or breach disabled enemy ships.

quote:

Baboon class Landing Ship 500 tons 8 Crew 32.7 BP TCS 10 TH 13 EM 0
1302 km/s Armour 1-5 Shields 0-0 HTK 2 Sensors 0/0/0/0 DCR 0 PPV 0
Maint Life 2.84 Years MSP 9 AFR 20% IFR 0.3% 1YR 2 5YR 24 Max Repair 15 MSP
Troop Capacity 250 tons Drop Capable

Fuel Capacity 2,000 Litres Range 0.08 billion km (17 hours at full power)

This design is classed as a Troop Transport for auto-assignment purposes

quote:

Gibbon class Boarding Shuttle 473 tons 8 Crew 26.5 BP TCS 9 TH 13 EM 0
1375 km/s Armour 1-5 Shields 0-0 HTK 2 Sensors 0/0/0/0 DCR 0 PPV 0
Maint Life 3.57 Years MSP 8 AFR 18% IFR 0.2% 1YR 1 5YR 14 Max Repair 9 MSP
Troop Capacity 250 tons Boarding Capable

Fuel Capacity 2,000 Litres Range 0.09 billion km (17 hours at full power)

That covers things for now! Dias has just called you all to a meeting, so stay tuned to hear what she has to say.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Looking forwards to this! Onwards to the stars!

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Excited to explore all the horrible ways the Old World hosed up, and all the horrible ways the New World invented to survive!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely getting that Shadow Empire vibe now from the description of the local political situation.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Captianize me Captain!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It'll be interesting to actually see ground combat in action in one of these

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Fray posted:

Well as much fun as I had, it does seem that you've been putting your time to more important use the last 16 months or so! Didn't know about your save file getting bogged down. Can you elaborate on that? I guess I'll have to take steps to avoid it happening to mine.

It was a relic of the old VB6 system and me having a fairly crappy laptop, should be okay for a newer game.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Petition to rename the Built Ford Tough NTE to Built Ford Tough TAFFR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e8o4TEoRKU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
It's been a hot minute since I read an Aurora LP. Let's dive in again.

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010
Oooooh, the local scale of this is pretty interesting. I'm about it.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
SIng me up for a scientist specializedd in whatever archaeology is in this world. Xeno or human kind, I am okay with both.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Dorf me with something sciencey.

Skavenlord
Jan 31, 2021
Getting in on the groundfloor here. First time I've dorfed, too.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...
Added myself to the list. It'll be interesting to see how this works out with the heavy single system focus and intending to stay that way from the start.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

A little more bookkeeping before we start proper. The first round of assignments are done. I left some minor commands vacant cause I wasn't sure if anyone would want them. Feel free to grab one if you do. Remember to fill out the form if you want to sign up, I won't remember you if you only post in the thread!

Like I said in the OP, I did some database modding for this LP. The problem I wanted to fix is that the Sol system just isn't very big in vanilla. The distances involved become trivial pretty quickly, and so I'm shrinking things down. Here's what I've changed, for those of you who follow the mechanics.

- The effect of all Crew Quarters components has been halved, so for a given deployment time you'll need twice as much tonnage devoted to life support.

-The fuel amount of all fuel storage modules has been reduced by a factor of 20 (so a regular Fuel Storage now holds 2500L in 50 tons). Going to Jupiter now requires a non-trivial tonnage of fuel.

-I've also greatly reduced the max fortification for ground units across the board. Fortification will still be important, but imo Steve went way overboard with it in C# and it makes invasions a real headache.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Looking forwards to how things pan out!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

i also look forward to seeing how dysfunctional our command structure will get this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

(- / +) Improper Long Term Radiation Shielding has Effects On Human Psyche
(- / +) Space Booze is Insufficiently Distilled
(- / +) Space Millipede Eaters

Unrelated but I will mourn PDCs (especially in nebula systems) and I will always build defence satellites.