Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

To my knowledge there are only two mod teams large enough to warrant discords - the admin/mod discord, and the D&D/cspam mod/ik discord. I discord my IK but it's just the two of us and e/n isn't that busy so we get away with PMs if something needs it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Basically what the intel agencies do is keep track of who interacts with whom. They build up a map of all of the social connections people have (you might call it a "social network" :v:), and then when they decide that a particular person is Of Interest, they know all of the other people to also keep tabs on, and which conversations are likely to be fruitful to subpoena.

Actually tracking and analyzing all of the conversations of everyone in the country is still a sufficiently big job that, so far as I've heard, they aren't actually doing that yet. But you can bet they've done the analysis on how they would do that, and what the legal and technical prerequisites would be.

How would they track someone (to have a “complete file” of that one person) if say… they moved and switched to a different internet provider? Or if they got a new phone and phone number?

I mean, with some human sleuthing it seems like it would be relatively trivial to piece together the data, but that would only occur if you were a person of interest I suppose.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ornery and Hornery posted:

How would they track someone (to have a “complete file” of that one person) if say… they moved and switched to a different internet provider? Or if they got a new phone and phone number?

I mean, with some human sleuthing it seems like it would be relatively trivial to piece together the data, but that would only occur if you were a person of interest I suppose.

Your browsing habits, hardware and contacts all create a fingerprint that is also trivial for software to identify.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Inceltown posted:

cspam is kind of a limbo deal with who IK's are. You are not asked about it, just given buttons. Then you are not told how to use them, just figure it out yourself.

this was how it was for all moderators for a lot of the site's history

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Earwicker posted:

this was how it was for all moderators for a lot of the site's history

True. There has been a mod guidebook since 2012 though, and Jeff and co are working on a new and better one for the modern era.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Did you immediately log into your google account on your new phone? In any way whatsoever, or be present at the same address? Also, who cares even if they can't combine your old and new identity. Your new identity is the new identity that is being tracked and you'll be followed by it instead.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Programmed assumptions based on connections to other people. If all of your contact with other mobile subscribers is tracked, your number disappears, and a new one pops up and fills that same hole in the network it's a good guess it's you on a new number. In theory if you and closed group of people picked up new devices, only used encrypted communication, and did not communicate outside the group, you could build out a new identity.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
How do they hand-bread chicken sandwiches at fast food restaurants? Do they keep some breaded raw ones in the fridge to throw on and fry on demand?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
How likely am I to risk breaking this jar if I put it in the freezer? (it contains pork broth and pork fat)

(to clarify: I've previously broken narrow-mouth jars like this one by putting them in the freezer, but this one is underfilled so I think I'm safe...I'd appreciate a second opinion though)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Its Chocolate posted:

How do they hand-bread chicken sandwiches at fast food restaurants? Do they keep some breaded raw ones in the fridge to throw on and fry on demand?

I would be surprised to find out this is a thing in fast food. Are you asking because you saw that this is a thing somewhere?

Everything like that comes in IQF (individually quick frozen) in bags/boxes that were produced in a factory. You don't want minimally supervised minimum wage teenagers handling raw chicken, eggs and a container full of cross contamination (the bread crumbs) in a fast food environment.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Tiggum posted:

I guess it's broken then? Because that "warning" message is there right now, and the worst that could be said of the weather here right now is that it's a bit cloudy? It's not even raining. :confused:

It's not necessarily about the weather in the city that you're in — on my phone there's like a 50% chance that if I open the weather app I'll be warned about riptides or that there's a small craft advisory (e.g. low visibility out in the ocean), because in the US it's by county, and so you'll get alerts that apply to a fairly large area.

Weird that it doesn't properly tell you what the warning is about, though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Vegetable posted:

What is an IK on these forums? What does it stand for and what do they do?

In addition to the limitations mentioned by others, IKs can’t punish for a post older than a fortnight.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Motronic posted:

I would be surprised to find out this is a thing in fast food. Are you asking because you saw that this is a thing somewhere?

Everything like that comes in IQF (individually quick frozen) in bags/boxes that were produced in a factory. You don't want minimally supervised minimum wage teenagers handling raw chicken, eggs and a container full of cross contamination (the bread crumbs) in a fast food environment.

I was just basing it on the fact that they use the phrase "hand-breaded." Couldn't you be sued for false advertising for saying that if it's not? Or is it like "homemade?"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Its Chocolate posted:

I was just basing it on the fact that they use the phrase "hand-breaded." Couldn't you be sued for false advertising for saying that if it's not?

it can still be "hand-breaded" at the factory before being frozen and distributed to fast food restaurants

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Earwicker posted:

it can still be "hand-breaded" at the factory before being frozen and distributed to fast food restaurants

Oh, okay. Thanks

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Its Chocolate posted:

I was just basing it on the fact that they use the phrase "hand-breaded." Couldn't you be sued for false advertising for saying that if it's not? Or is it like "homemade?"

In order to successfully sue, you'd need to demonstrate that you'd suffered some harm as a result of their claim. I think that might be a little tough here.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Its Chocolate posted:

Idk the answer to your question, but according to The Internet, Popeyes breads their chicken in store, but shrimp and fish are pre-breaded. Chic-fil-a also does their sandwich filets (maybe nuggets too?). Judging by the guys standing around the back of Bojangles covered in flour, I imagine they bread theirs in store too. I can’t imagine getting real fried chicken crispies with something pre-breaded and frozen, and since IQF breaded things usually aren’t thawed before frying, seems like it would take forever to cook bone in frozen chicken parts.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

Windows recently added a weather notification to the taskbar. There's a little icon representing the current weather conditions, the temperature, and then a word - usually something like "sunny" or whatever the weather happens to be. Sometimes though it says "warning". Clicking it just brings up news headlines. What is it trying to warn me about?

Well you're in Victoria, right? The warnings list right now is pretty long. Click the picture for the website I'm getting these from.

Also when I click it, it shows me this in the top right corner of the pop up window

It's just trying to communicate the current weather warnings.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Its Chocolate posted:

They're shipped in from Homemáde.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Memento posted:

Also when I click it, it shows me this in the top right corner of the pop up window

Ah, this solves the mystery: I wasn't seeing this because on my computer I had to scroll down to get to it for some reason, and my location was set wrong.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Motronic posted:

KFC does hand breading on all their chicken at the store

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiAYDb73Dbo

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Not that it's going to effect me in any way but now I know not to eat there ever again.

I mean, it's not surprise for chicken places (like on the bone) but when we're talking patties? That's more what I was thinking about. I suppose there is no good way to do it other than in the store for that. Ewwwww.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
X-posting from the CC questions thread.

Basically how do I go into business for myself with art?

dog nougat posted:

I'm tired of working my soul sucking and just deflating service industry job. The money's good, but I'm mentally and physically grinding myself down and know that I'm nearing the end of my usefulness/ability to continue doing menial service labor. I want to quit and pursue my art as a living/career in what I guess is a freelance capacity as I don't have a digital art skillset to speak of.

I feel flummoxed and befuddled. People love my art and are interested in it. I struggle with being as productive as I should be and a perceived lack of audience/client base I suppose. How do I build these things? I've sold prints and shirts via Instagram and here on the forums and while it was great I recognize that the scope is still small and not profitable enough on it's own. How do I build a business with my art? I've looked into easy and redbubble-ish solutions and it seems difficult to stand out and make money. I've seen prices that seem absurdly low in my opinion for prints

I know my biggest hurdle is my production level at this point and that's what I need to address first, but where do I go from there? Social media promotion seems like a logical step, but it seems scary and potentially wasteful. Anyone with any insight please chime in and give me some insight.

It should be noted that my job is super short-staffed at this point, so I'm working 5+ days/week atm. My GM and I hate one another, so I'm either just trying to see if he'll fire me or will just straight up quit. I'm just feeling the drag of constant service work. I view my art as my best or at least most fulfilling option at this point, unfortunately I work 40+hrs weekly serving drunken tourists and am exhausted constantly and have no time to create.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

dog nougat posted:

X-posting from the CC questions thread.

Basically how do I go into business for myself with art?

If you haven't seen it, this mostly-dead thread in CC has some good stuff in it and is probably worth resurrecting:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468091

I'm not an artist, but I work in a somewhat similar field as an independent craftsperson taking commissions, and my experience is that, well, it's hard. Like any business, sales are everything, and that means doing more marketing and self-promotion than you may be comfortable with. I don't know anything about your art, but finding your market-finding the people who would want to own your stuff if they knew it existed-is super important. Working through 'who are my customers and why do they want ME' is important. Galleries do alot of that marketing for you, but they take a pretty substantial cut-most artists would tell you that's well worth it. In my trade, I work with interior designers often and they get a percentage too, but again, for outsourcing your marketing and sales, that's worth it IMO. Depending on your art, they may be a good resource too. I know an artist friend of mine has sold plenty of paintings though decorators. Pricing is really difficult, even moreso for art I imagine, but I think it's important to price yourself as fine art. If a customer sees two equivalent paintings and one is $400 and one is $800, they're probably gonna think the $800 one is better. If you're in an area with alot of tourists, that can be a great market.

I recommend this book to anyone thinking of starting a business and it really helped me think through much of the above.
https://www.amazon.com/Write-Business-Plan-Mike-McKeever/dp/1413317499
Your local library almost certainly has it, and it's well worth going through all the motions even if you say 'but I'm an artist not a business!' You're still doing the thing every business more or less does-making and selling widgets. Doing the boring spreadsheet stuff of 'I need to take home $X0,000, how do I get there' is really eye opening (for me, in a good way) and will help with figuring out prices. If you know a big painting takes you 2 weeks, you can make (and more importantly, sell. Production without sales is scrap!!!) 25 of them a year, and you need to get at least $2,000 or w/e. for them. Selling prints isn't going to be as limited by your time/ability to produce, and will let you do much higher volume at a lower price.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Its Chocolate posted:

Believe it or not, despite the other answers here, when I worked at Chicken Express as an oily teen there was a breading station in the kitchen. Tub of batter, pan of flour. Only the manager or a shift lead got to handle the breading and frying when I worked there. Most of the teenage shitlords were relegated to frying up the okra and fries from frozen bags or spooning gravy. I showed up to my interview in a buttoned shirt and tie so I got to clean and sort raw chicken parts from bags into heavy tubs every morning and stack them under a small door in the walk-in that opened up to the breading station.

Fried chicken is kinda the main draw of of that place, though, your average chicken sandwich at a burger place absolutely came out of a bag and probably slid into the french fry station before making it into the dryer proper.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I'm having a memory fart. There is a video clip of someone stepping on a landmine and holding still while it gets disarmed. The person disarming it makes an analogy about a dog stuck in a fence. I'm 99% sure it's from the TV show Tour of Duty but my google-fu is failing me. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Motronic posted:

Not that it's going to effect me in any way but now I know not to eat there ever again.

I mean, it's not surprise for chicken places (like on the bone) but when we're talking patties? That's more what I was thinking about. I suppose there is no good way to do it other than in the store for that. Ewwwww.

Is it the video you are reacting to? What about it makes you swear off chicken joints?

At some point raw chicken has to get wetted and breaded. From friends/co-workers I've heard that mcdonalds/tacobell/the fastest of food joints are the cleanest kitchens they have ever worked at. They'll probably use as much of those ingredients as possible, par cook and freeze the chicken and dump any contaminated ingredients.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Quabzor posted:

Is it the video you are reacting to? What about it makes you swear off chicken joints?

At some point raw chicken has to get wetted and breaded. From friends/co-workers I've heard that mcdonalds/tacobell/the fastest of food joints are the cleanest kitchens they have ever worked at. They'll probably use as much of those ingredients as possible, par cook and freeze the chicken and dump any contaminated ingredients.

It's the simple fact that in the course of being a code official I've been in a lot of commercial kitchens as well as fast food kitchens. Fast food kitchens, while normally pretty clean, are also very often operated terribly due to how they are staffed and "managed".

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Motronic posted:

It's the simple fact that in the course of being a code official I've been in a lot of commercial kitchens as well as fast food kitchens. Fast food kitchens, while normally pretty clean, are also very often operated terribly due to how they are staffed and "managed".

Ah, just the fact that they are doing it raw is the problem.

I can understand that.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Blasting something with 350 degree oil for 10 minutes cures all my fears

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

this is one of the best username/avatar/content conjunctions I have ever seen

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You can still get food poisoning, even if all the germs have been nuked to high hell

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Such Fun posted:

You can still get food poisoning, even if all the germs have been nuked to high hell

Yeah, this is worth pointing out. Cooking kills gems, but it does not remove the poisons germs have already left in the food. That's why you can't eat raw meat that's been left out, even if you cook it - the damage is already done.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
It’s not even the chicken that’s most worrisome.

It’s all the stuff that gets cross‐contaminated by bacteria‐laden juices.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Platystemon posted:

It’s not even the chicken that’s most worrisome.

It’s all the stuff that gets cross‐contaminated by bacteria‐laden juices.

No, no. It’s the chicken that is most worrisome.
The bacteria getting on other foodstuffs through cross-contamination is a bad thing for sure. But ingesting the toxins produced by the bacteria is much more dangerous than ingesting the living bacteria themself. And that toxin is much more likely to be present on the chicken than anything that got cross-contaminated

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I inherited this silverware from my grandmother when she died three years ago.

1) anyone have an idea what brand it is? I didn't find anything identifying it, but as you can see it has some star shapes at the bottom of the handle. There are a couple silica bags indicating it was purchased at Montgomery Ward in Chicago.

edit: okay on the back in very tiny print is says "Oneida Community Stainless" and looks to be the "twin star" collection

https://smallpondgraphics.com/2020/07/08/collect-oneida-twin-star-atomic-flatware/

2) what would you recommend for selling it? I'd like to find a few places in my area to bring it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 14, 2021

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Is there a thread for glassware / art glass? I picked up a vase at an estate sale and while it's gorgeous and I love it, I'm curious as to value. The same model / brand / color vase sells brand new for way more than I paid for it, but I know nothing about crystal and maybe it's like jewelry where it depreciates by 90%.

E: it's this one https://www.scullyandscully.com/tabletop/crystal-glassware/st-louis-crystal/vases/st-louis-tommy-vases.axd in green. I paid $100 for it and was mostly just curious if that depreciation is normal for previously owned crystal.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 14, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

actionjackson posted:

I inherited this silverware from my grandmother when she died three years ago.

1) anyone have an idea what brand it is? I didn't find anything identifying it, but as you can see it has some star shapes at the bottom of the handle. There are a couple silica bags indicating it was purchased at Montgomery Ward in Chicago.

edit: okay on the back in very tiny print is says "Oneida Community Stainless" and looks to be the "twin star" collection

https://smallpondgraphics.com/2020/07/08/collect-oneida-twin-star-atomic-flatware/

2) what would you recommend for selling it? I'd like to find a few places in my area to bring it.

Dunno, but there's a goon with encyclopedic knowledge of cutlery that popped up a year or so ago. Anybody remember who that is? They could tell you the going rate for that set no problem.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The silverware sleuth was mercenarynuker, and the thread is in the Goldmine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

YggiDee posted:

The silverware sleuth was mercenarynuker, and the thread is in the Goldmine.

thanks! i'll message him