Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

talking about plorting slime seems like inappropriate thread content imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Canopus250 posted:

What are some good tactics/squad games options on steam? I just finished another heavily modded run of X-com 2 and am relatively clueless as to what else is out there from the last three years or so. I also really enjoyed the smaller scope of Invisible Inc and Chimera Squad as well.

I'm down with fantasy/sci-fi/comteporary as long as the characters or plot have something to them. I already own Troubleshooters apparently and didn't love the first hour or two of Fae Tactics. Real time stuff like Desperados 3 was solid but I prefer a turn based or initiative system over real time.

Any suggestions out there?

I enjoyed Gears Tactics, but it has some faults. Namely that the missions get repetitive and the way you gain new party members just feels tedious and unnecessary. It's basically just, "Here's another Sniper but a higher level so it's basically just a free respec on their talent points".

I would recommend playing it off Game Pass for cheap than paying... Whatever it sells for on Steam right now...

Fel Seal: Arbiters Mark is a fun one as well. I didn't beat it but I definitely put a good number of hours into it.

Disgaea 5 is more about infinite grinding than true Tactics, but it still plays similarly.

Edit : lol GT is still $60. Yea it's fun but it's positively not a $60 game.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 14, 2021

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Yeah, I saw Fell Seal through a LP already. I also cleared out everything but the secret squad in Into the Breach. I had a ton of fun with that and FTL over the years.

Edit: I already did Desperados 3 too, that was great

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 14, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Desperados 3 is also a great real time tactical game you might enjoy. It's quite different from xcom, gears, or fel seal -- not tile based, not turn based but it's definitely a strategy game. Mega fun.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Canopus250 posted:

What are some good tactics/squad games options on steam? I just finished another heavily modded run of X-com 2 and am relatively clueless as to what else is out there from the last three years or so. I also really enjoyed the smaller scope of Invisible Inc and Chimera Squad as well.

I'm down with fantasy/sci-fi/comteporary as long as the characters or plot have something to them. I already own Troubleshooters apparently and didn't love the first hour or two of Fae Tactics. Real time stuff like Desperados 3 was solid but I prefer a turn based or initiative system over real time.

Warhammer: Mechanicus
Valkyria Chronicles 4

Cowcaster posted:

talking about plorting slime seems like inappropriate thread content imho

I hid the Plorts tag on Steam years ago

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Canopus250 posted:

Battle Brothers if you can enjoy getting your rear end kicked.
The Last Spell just entered early access, parts of it are rough (especially the metaprogression) but the gameplay is great and there's enough meat on its early access bones you can probably get a couple dozen hours of it r/n.
I've heard good things about Hand of Merlin but that's also in early access and I haven't actually played it :v:

Imagined posted:

Have you played Into the Breach?

This is probably the safest bet if you like Invisible Inc and Chimera Squad tho.
e: oh you played Into The breach already lmao nevermind.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Canopus250 posted:

There's Phantom Doctrine, which about spies getting up to spy poo poo in the cold war. It puts a somewhat stronger emphasis on stealth, a bit like X-Com 2 except more, while the story is mostly about figuring out a big old conspiracy. It's fairly jank, but does offer a few fun twists on the genre.

Edit: Oh yeah, Warhammer Mechanicus is very good as well.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 14, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I personally couldn't get into Mechanicus, none of the abilities in the tree seemed Fun.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Stux posted:

you catch slimes and put them in pens and they make little things called plorts u sell. u can cross breed different slimes to make hybirds with more valuable plorts and expand your farm

Sounds cool, thanks. I was wondering why all the reviews were so positive.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
There was Mutant Year Zero but I doubt it was worth a poo poo because Funcom. But hey, sci fi tactics ducks and hogs with guns.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

Can anyone tell me anything about Slime Rancher? It's on sale today.

From what I am seeing it's a cute game where you collect slimes. What's the gameplay loop like?

Explore, catch slimes, find secrets. Go back to base, feed slimes, harvest plorts, spend 10 minutes corraling slimes that escaped, build better/more cages. Repeat. It's very cute, not much depth to it apart from crossbreeding slimes.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Thanks all, I do like Warhams poo poo sometimes so I'll check out Mechanicus and a couple others. Feel free to keep suggesting though.

I'm not into the insane hardcore OG Xcom stuff. Xenonauts and Phoenix Point look like negative amounts of fun from micromanaging.

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 14, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Canopus250 posted:

Xenonauts? More of the same as XCOM. They’re making a new one, supposedly.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I remember playing Xenonauts thinking it was made by people who didn't want to advance from the old UFO: Enemy Unknown and were writing long screeds about how casual XCOM was.

I am not ashamed of playing some really grognardy stuff, but that was a bridge too far.

I'd recommend Frozen Synapse. It's very stripped down to the essentials and it's more of a puzzle game really, but it also scratches the XCOM itch imo.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Gears tactics was pretty drat good. Solid game with cool bossess and a VERY xcom feel. Warhammer Age of Sigmar Stormsomethingorother is a bit simplified, board game style and also a roguelike aspect but I really enjoyed it. If you haven't played Into the Breach it's like turn-based tactics distilled to its essence and halfway morphed into a puzzle game.

Honestly for my money there are way too many turn based tactics games, and not enough that do anything new.

Givin posted:

There was Mutant Year Zero but I doubt it was worth a poo poo because Funcom. But hey, sci fi tactics ducks and hogs with guns.

I didn't like it at all. Seemed somewhat unfinished and also insanely hard, at least the early access (I think) build I had. One of the very first unavoidable combat encounters after the tutorial I couldn't figure out how to beat without getting a character killed despite savespamming and trying it several times over. Also didn't look all that great.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

they're both real-time and quite a bit older than 3 years but Warhammer: Dawn of War 2 and Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising are also great

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
There's Battletech and HBS's Shadowrun tactics/rpg games. I don't think Dawn of War, while excellent, is the type of strategy game OP is going for.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
e3 has no games. good year to revisit the classics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cilhIj9tWwo

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

e3 has no games

uh, they just announced plumbers don't wear ties is coming back

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Finally, a Mario game on Steam.

If only I wasn't joking.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’ve been playing a ton of the XCOM:EW Long War Reloaded mod lately. It takes the stuff I love about long war (more squaddies, slower progression) and improves a lot of the crappy parts (a really bad reverse difficulty curve, tedious air combat system, accentuating the boring parts of XCOM’s tactical combat). At the tactical level my favorite choice is that it eliminates prep before you’re into the actual fighting - you can’t overwatch without enemies engaged. I find this really changes the combat dynamics and made it a lot more fun. It’s probably the most enjoyable version of the XCOM tactical game that I’ve played so far.

Anyway you may be burned out on XCOM so the other suggestion is Empire of Sin, which is apparently a mafia tactics game that was released last year. Reviews are mixed but it’s up on game pass so I’ve downloaded it to give it a spin. Not a hard rec so far as I haven’t played it but may be worth a shot especially if you have Gamepass.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

but I love crawling across the map overwatching nearly every character on every turn

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jordan7hm posted:

you can’t overwatch without enemies engaged.

Doesn't this mean you just crawl around and hunker down?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Play posted:

but I love crawling across the map overwatching nearly every character on every turn

I hate it so much. Not needing to do that in Chimera Squad was a big reason why I think it clicked so well with me. I love sending guys in and just banging. This mod isn’t quite that but it’s a lot closer.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Doesn't this mean you just crawl around and hunker down?

I guess it could, but I don’t think so. It makes you more aggressive with scouting and trying to ambush pods. Or that’s what happens with my play style. I guess it’s like Dark Souls. You can play with a shield and a low damage sword, but holy moly just two handing and rolling is more fun.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 14, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I've been playing Mass Effect remastered and it still kinda looks rear end. Like, really not that impressive and quite a few graphical bugs as well. Did I just forget what Mass Effect used to look like or is this remaster pretty low-effort stuff? It seems like a reskin, just slap a few slightly more detailed textures down and call it a day

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Play posted:

I've been playing Mass Effect remastered and it still kinda looks rear end. Like, really not that impressive and quite a few graphical bugs as well. Did I just forget what Mass Effect used to look like or is this remaster pretty low-effort stuff? It seems like a reskin, just slap a few slightly more detailed textures down and call it a day

For the first game it's a massive improvement. It's a very looks like you remember it looking, rather than how it actually looked (really bad) remaster. There's also a ton of gameplay changes in the first (that you may not realize since a lot of them were in 2/3 before). The second and third games only got minor changes though.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Zeron posted:

For the first game it's a massive improvement. It's a very looks like you remember it looking, rather than how it actually looked (really bad) remaster. There's also a ton of gameplay changes in the first (that you may not realize since a lot of them were in 2/3 before). The second and third games only got minor changes though.

Word, I guess it has been a while. Mass Effect 1 released in 2007, the remaster looks like something from 2012 -2014, so I suppose adding 5 years in quality isn't nothing.

Still, would've been nice to have more. It remains a not very good looking game imo

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Mass Effect was a PS3/360 game that came out in 2007, only two years into the console cycle. A year and a half after Oblivion, same year as COD4, Bioshock, and Halo 3, and a year before GTA IV or Fallout 3. I think it looks worse than nearly everyone remembers because it was such a drat good game that it gave us all rose-tinted goggles.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Titan Quest ( a game that is still being supported!) and all of its expansions are on sale this week. They also added controller support as of last year sometime.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

:magical:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Looks like that kid forgot to keep up with polishing his armor

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

Can anyone tell me anything about Slime Rancher? It's on sale today.

From what I am seeing it's a cute game where you collect slimes. What's the gameplay loop like?

The gameplay is fun for a bit and you'll know pretty quickly once you've had enough of it, it's a game you kind of decide for yourself when it's over, usually after the gameplay loop becomes a little too apparent and you get to a point where you're basically spending all your time maintaining your farm just for a number to go up that you don't necessarily need anymore. In the old days I'd say it was a good weekend rental, chill way to kill a dozen hours or so.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The people in this town are, uh, real winners:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Canopus250 posted:

Thanks all, I do like Warhams poo poo sometimes so I'll check out Mechanicus and a couple others. Feel free to keep suggesting though.

I'm not into the insane hardcore OG Xcom stuff. Xenonauts and Phoenix Point look like negative amounts of fun from micromanaging.

Be aware that Mechanicus has some cataclysmic balance and AI issues. It's *dripping* with atmosphere, music, and fluff but the actual combat falls over halfway through the game once a few of your guys get their top tier perks (and you finally notice how the AI's primitive scripting works).

A real mixed bag, which falls squarely in the middle of the WH:40k spinoff stereotype of "what a shame..."

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I tried to buy something a few hours ago and steam timed out for whatever reason. Now I’m getting this error,

How long should this take to clear out?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

I remember playing Xenonauts thinking it was made by people who didn't want to advance from the old UFO: Enemy Unknown and were writing long screeds about how casual XCOM was.

I am not ashamed of playing some really grognardy stuff, but that was a bridge too far.

I'd recommend Frozen Synapse. It's very stripped down to the essentials and it's more of a puzzle game really, but it also scratches the XCOM itch imo.

I was OK with Xenonauts being crunchy AF but the stupid air-combat mini-game killed it for me. Ridiculously hard until I figured out the trick and it became a 5-minute time sink watching green arrows on a black screen.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

MarcusSA posted:

So I tried to buy something a few hours ago and steam timed out for whatever reason. Now I’m getting this error,

How long should this take to clear out?

If you're sure the payment didn't go through you can go into your purchase history and cancel the pending transaction otherwise it takes a day or two.

Probably gonna have to use a card if you used PayPal, usually that happens because of backend issues.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 15, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hub Cat posted:

If you're sure the payment didn't go through you can go into your purchase history and cancel the pending transaction otherwise it takes a day or two.

Oh thanks! I didn’t realize I could do that. Yeah it didn’t go though since it was PayPal and I’d have gotten the message.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

backbone was looking like a solid entry in the bewilderingly well-populated "noir but furries" subgenre but then it pissed down its own leg with a last-act twist that would have needed twice as much runtime to have a chance at working

if it was meant to be a sequel hook, that's a shame, because the twist plus the relatively high price doesn't seem to be going over well

I know it's a couple days later, but I backed this on Kickstarter and I can shed some light on the "twist".

It was never meant to be a twist at all, it was in fact the most heavily advertised feature, here's what was supposed to happen
Howard was going to be infected by furry venom, which is strongly hinted to be what uplifted the animals in the first place.
This was going to grant him super powers, no really, he was supposed to be able to change parts of his body into other animal bits to solve puzzles and fight goons, the example they gave is him turning his arm into a mutant bear arm in the middle of combat

Basically the reason the game is so bad is because it's just straight up unfinished, like none of the advertised gameplay features made it in.

You may have noticed that there was an actual puzzle and even a couple stealth sections in the prologue, and none in the rest of the game.
The game was supposed to lean hard into Howard being a detective, with him tailing suspects, finding clues and solving puzzles.

Speaking of finding clues, notice how the game kept giving you the option to smell things? Howard were supposed to be able to use his sense of smell to find clues and what not, also he needed to hide his scent as well, the example given was hiding in a dumpster full of smelly trash.

And, this is speculation, but the game wasn't supposed to end there, I'm almost certain that was supposed to be the end to the first act.
This is why the game keeps setting up things, mysteries, characters, themes and so on, but none of them go anywhere.

This is probably also why the ending is so awful, like, this part right here

Pwnstar posted:

Also the crime boss was literally killing the poor to feed to the rich but she was a good person because she was standing up for women?

Almost certainly wasn't supposed to come across like that, it was likely supposed to be setting up the other character potentially betraying Howard later on.

So yeah, the reason such a gorgeous game has mixed reviews is because it's an unfinished mess of a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Jordan7hm posted:

I’ve been playing a ton of the XCOM:EW Long War Reloaded mod lately. It takes the stuff I love about long war (more squaddies, slower progression) and improves a lot of the crappy parts (a really bad reverse difficulty curve, tedious air combat system, accentuating the boring parts of XCOM’s tactical combat). At the tactical level my favorite choice is that it eliminates prep before you’re into the actual fighting - you can’t overwatch without enemies engaged. I find this really changes the combat dynamics and made it a lot more fun. It’s probably the most enjoyable version of the XCOM tactical game that I’ve played so far.

Anyway you may be burned out on XCOM so the other suggestion is Empire of Sin, which is apparently a mafia tactics game that was released last year. Reviews are mixed but it’s up on game pass so I’ve downloaded it to give it a spin. Not a hard rec so far as I haven’t played it but may be worth a shot especially if you have Gamepass.

Do you mean Long War Rebalance? I couldn't find a reloaded. I just beat WOTC and I'm thinking of going back to XCOM 1 and trying Long War but I'm mixed on some of the stuff I've heard about it.