Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but you could have him doing the same basic actions and just show him getting hurt like he did in the previous movies. It's not like you actually have to punch 70 year old Harrison Ford in the face. Like, he barely gets a scratch on him in Crystal Skull if I remember correctly.

Yeah, fair point. I wonder if there's a cultural element to it. Seeing an old man get hurt gives off much crueler and undignified vibes than the same thing happening to a younger man even in an obviously fantastical scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Crystal Skull's problem is that the movie itself is hideous and already looked dated when it came out. The action scenes all taking place in computer generated environments just makes everything feel like there are no stakes. We don't believe the world they're in at all. When you see that big stone ball rolling down the hallway that poo poo's scary because we know that thing is really there. When a bunch of people are just kind of bopping up and down on the back of a car in front of a cartoon background it's just doesn't sell the illusion at all. And I'm not even saying that movies can't use these techniques to great effect because obviously they can and do. Crystal Skull just doesn't cut it and Harrison Ford practically sleeping through the entire movie doesn't help. You never feel the sense of adventure the other three movies have either, it's just one slog from one boring entirely too bright place to the next.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
When Shia began swinging with monkeys from vine to vine, I said out loud in the theater, "what the hell"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Snake rope.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I hope Mutt at least gets mentioned in the next one.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

I hope Mutt at least gets mentioned in the next one.

It'd be hilarious if they recreated the shot from Crystal Skull of a framed photo of Mutt next to a framed photo of Sean Connery's Henry Jones Sr.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sony just announced their second Columbia Classics UHD box set with a Sept 14 street date

It’ll include…

Anatomy of a Murder (1959, Otto Preminger)
Oliver! (1968, Carol Reed)
Taxi Driver (1976, Martin Scorsese)
Stripes (1981, Ivan Reitman)
Sense and Sensibility (1995, Ang Lee)
The Social Network (2010, David Fincher)

Highlights on content…

All six films have new Atmos remixes and HDR10 except Dolby Vision on Taxi Driver and The Social Network
Original theatrical mono tracks on Anatomy, Taxi Driver, and Stripes plus original stereo on Oliver! (As well as original 5.1 on the other two)
The Social Network features both “unrated” 5.1 and Atmos, plus theatrical 5.1.
Anatomy of a Murder retains most (if not all) the Criterion on-disc extras, plus adds a new commentary
All previous release extras retained, it seems.
Theatrical and extended cuts for Stripes, plus the TV cut and extra deleted scenes.
New commentary on Anatomy and Oliver!
Original trailers added to discs previously missing them.
Bonus Blu-ray with 20 classic Columbia cartoons and comedy/musical shorts.
80 page hardbound book with essays on the films, deluxe packaging.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
On the one hand I like those choices because I don't own most of them so there won't be much double dipping. On the other hand, it's similar to the first set where there's only one film in it that I NEED(Taxi Driver), and I'll be buying the rest just because I have no other choice. I'm not gonna wait like two years or whatever the gently caress for them to release Taxi Driver individually.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

You definitely need Anatomy of a Murder in your life. Unless you already own it, I suppose.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

It'd be hilarious if they recreated the shot from Crystal Skull of a framed photo of Mutt next to a framed photo of Sean Connery's Henry Jones Sr.

Gonna be reeeeal bummed when this isn't the case.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

You definitely need Anatomy of a Murder in your life. Unless you already own it, I suppose.

I don't, and you're probably right. When I bought the first set I ended up being extremely happy with Gandhi and A League of Their Own so yea I'm just gonna get this one and not think too hard about it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Wait so in order to get Taxi Driver on UHD I have to buy 5 other movies I don't really want?

sold

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea back when they released the first set I was like alright I don't have the willpower to wait like 4-6 months for them to release Lawrence of Arabia individually so I'm gonna just bite the bullet and buy it.

Well it's been a year and no Lawrence in sight so I'm not gonna assume anything with this one.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just don’t want the big box. I like shelving my movies, and saving box space for large Criterion and Arrow sets.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I just don’t want the big box. I like shelving my movies, and saving box space for large Criterion and Arrow sets.

The first set was really nice in that it gave you options. Each film comes in it's own individual case, AND with a slipcover. So I actually did end up taking them out of the big box and filing them on my shelf and you'd never know they weren't individual releases.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’m still gonna hold out for individual releases of Lawrence and Taxi Driver. I got enough content, I’ll endeavor to watch their best versions whenever it’s convenient.

I’ll be interested to see how Taxi Driver and The Social Network turn out.

Taxi Driver due to the original elements, I know they did a 4K scan years back but we’ll see how it scales.

The Social Network due to being digital and if there’s a finished 4K or if it will be an upscale. I’d be surprised if it’s the latter due to the red carpet treatment here, but it’s also a digitally shot and finished film from like… 2011?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I know this feeling I'm about maxed out on storage space. I'm trying to find ways to reorganize a closet just to fit another media bookshelf lol

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

man nurse posted:

The Indy 4Ks look delicious, and I like the new color correction on Crystal Skull so it’s not as sickeningly bloomed out looking.

Crystal Skull appreciation station incoming. I don’t think it deserves the ire it gets. Lots of fun sequences like the Area 51 warehouse, the campus and jungle chases, a brawl in the middle of a colony of man eating ants. Even the nuke fridge doesn’t bother me. Shia swinging with monkeys is about the only thing that takes me out of it. Cate Blanchette chews every scene she’s in as the evil telepath wannabe Russian, and Shia makes a great greaser kid, and it’s a lot of fun seeing Marion from Raiders back with Indy.

It belongs in a museum!

I got a custom avatar here once because someone got insanely angry that I said Crystal skull was "just okay" but "not that bad." They spent $10 and did a Photoshop of Harrison Ford and everything cause of the steaming hot take that a movie was mediocre.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Spatulater bro! posted:

Wait so in order to get Taxi Driver on UHD I have to buy 5 other movies I don't really want?

sold

I just want Stripes and Anatomy of a Murder, we can split it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Boywhiz88 posted:

I’m still gonna hold out for individual releases of Lawrence and Taxi Driver. I got enough content, I’ll endeavor to watch their best versions whenever it’s convenient.

I’ll be interested to see how Taxi Driver and The Social Network turn out.

Taxi Driver due to the original elements, I know they did a 4K scan years back but we’ll see how it scales.

The Social Network due to being digital and if there’s a finished 4K or if it will be an upscale. I’d be surprised if it’s the latter due to the red carpet treatment here, but it’s also a digitally shot and finished film from like… 2011?

Social Network was shot with Red One MX cameras which were 4K native cameras but finished in 2K.

This is not a Zodiac situation fortunately… that was shot native 1080p on Thomson Viper Cameras which at the time were top of the line, but the blu-Ray will probably be the best we get of it. Still great but not 4K.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

dorium posted:

This is not a Zodiac situation fortunately… that was shot native 1080p on Thomson Viper Cameras which at the time were top of the line, but the blu-Ray will probably be the best we get of it. Still great but not 4K.

Would Zodiac benefit from HDR, at least?

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Has anyone gotten their VS halfway to black Friday orders yet? I've never ordered from them directly before so I'm not too sure what their shipping is usually like but I'm seeing people on facebook and twitter getting theirs.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Homeybeef posted:

Has anyone gotten their VS halfway to black Friday orders yet? I've never ordered from them directly before so I'm not too sure what their shipping is usually like but I'm seeing people on facebook and twitter getting theirs.

Mine shipped today. It takes em a while to get through them cause they're a small team.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Homeybeef posted:

Mine came today.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Homeybeef posted:

I haven't but that's because I wasn't a subscriber (at the time) and didn't preorder Six String Samurai or any other VS release, so I'm last in the queue.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
It would be nice if SOME big budget guys would shoot on film with the future in mind. I understand the benefits digital brought to cinema in terms of accessibility. It’s way cheaper overall, and nowadays can look amazing. But drat, film just has that much more information available. Also, really sick of the digital look.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Boywhiz88 posted:

It would be nice if SOME big budget guys would shoot on film with the future in mind. I understand the benefits digital brought to cinema in terms of accessibility. It’s way cheaper overall, and nowadays can look amazing. But drat, film just has that much more information available. Also, really sick of the digital look.

Some of them are. Nolan is, I'm pretty sure Tom Cruise is still a "I only look good on film" guy.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

TheScott2K posted:

Would Zodiac benefit from HDR, at least?

I’d imagine so but it would just be a fresh coat of paint versus like a whole upgrade. I don’t know how well upscaling 1080 to 4K would look. Rudimentarily if I did something like that on my own I couldn’t imagine it looking more than overly stretched and smeary. There’s just not enough information there to give it that proper boost that even 2K to 4K gets.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

dorium posted:

I’d imagine so but it would just be a fresh coat of paint versus like a whole upgrade. I don’t know how well upscaling 1080 to 4K would look. Rudimentarily if I did something like that on my own I couldn’t imagine it looking more than overly stretched and smeary. There’s just not enough information there to give it that proper boost that even 2K to 4K gets.

2K is 1080 though? Cinema refers to things by the horizontal resolution while monitors are mostly by the vertical (other than 4K aka 2160).

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Boywhiz88 posted:

Eh, shooting on film isn't as mindblowingly ahead as digital. 35mm really only has roughly the equivalent of 4K-5K worth of information and 65mm is more like 11K, and scanning in higher resolutions just means you're just going to get more grain from the emulsion and digital noise from the sensor. You can get the film look with digital, it's just a matter of having the infrastructure and talented post-production people to do it.

dorium posted:

david_a posted:

2K is 1080 though? Cinema refers to things by the horizontal resolution while monitors are mostly by the vertical (other than 4K aka 2160).

Upscaling 1080/2K (they're not exactly the same; 1080 is 1920x1080, DCI 2K is 2048x1080) up to 4K is fairly common (especially with regards to VFX). Most films shot with the original Alexa have been upscaled to 4K and they look fine. I and a few other friends/colleagues have done tests taking 1080 footage and upscaling it to 4K and technology is good enough to make it look decent. The main thing people should care about is HDR and the wider color gamut, that's something you can't recreate in SDR/Rec709.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 15, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boywhiz88 posted:

Film is also better for archival purposes. The fact that most movies now are shot digitally is raising the question of how the hell they're going to preserve these things. Basically technology is moving fast enough that current digital storage methods become outdated too quickly and then you have to deal with things like the possibility of the files being corrupted.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Several years ago some guy had a real melt down in CD over people still using film. Claiming it was elitist and anti-independent. Reminding him that nobody was taking his digits camera away didn’t do any good.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

VoodooXT posted:

Upscaling 1080/2K (they're not exactly the same; 1080 is 1920x1080, DCI 2K is 2048x1080) up to 4K is fairly common (especially with regards to VFX). Most films shot with the original Alexa have been upscaled to 4K and they look fine. I and a few other friends/colleagues have done tests taking 1080 footage and upscaling it to 4K and technology is good enough to make it look decent. The main thing people should care about is HDR and the wider color gamut, that's something you can't recreate in SDR/Rec709.

Then we’ll just have to wait and see I guess. Zodiac is by far my most favorite Fincher work and would love to have a UHD of it but if it’s not technically feasible or it’s upscale doesn’t hit those marks you want for a movie like it then I can be happy with a blu-Ray. I’ll check it out regardless.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

dorium posted:

Then we’ll just have to wait and see I guess. Zodiac is by far my most favorite Fincher work and would love to have a UHD of it but if it’s not technically feasible or it’s upscale doesn’t hit those marks you want for a movie like it then I can be happy with a blu-Ray. I’ll check it out regardless.

An HDR pass of Zodiac would look great. Wider dynamic range and greater tonal gradation with the wider color gamut since the raw sensor data is sampled at full 444 RGB. In fact, I would say that they could do a better job today than 2007 since the infrastructure and post process are in place rather than Fincher and co having to figure it out from the ground up.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 15, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CPL593H posted:

Film is also better for archival purposes. The fact that most movies now are shot digitally is raising the question of how the hell they're going to preserve these things. Basically technology is moving fast enough that current digital storage methods become outdated too quickly and then you have to deal with things like the possibility of the files being corrupted.

Wait what?

Aren’t digital files infinitely easier to store and reproduce than physical media?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I have Ghostwatch questions. Was there ever a region 1 release and if not are there any currently in print versions which are not bootlegs. Some label is selling them (for region 2) but I've never heard of them and their site looks sketchy.

https://101-films-store.com/

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Wait what?

Aren’t digital files infinitely easier to store and reproduce than physical media?

No. Absolutely not. We are approaching an absolute crisis in this regard with no good and viable solutions at hand. There are entire fields of study that are desperately scrambling to figure this out. It's not going well.

Papyrus is around thousands of years later. Hard drives are tragically ephemeral in comparison.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Wait what?

Properly stored film will last more or less indefinitely. This is a bit simplified but imagine trying to access something you stored on floppy discs now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Wait what?

Think about how much file formats, editing software, and storage media have changed in 20 years and extrapolate that 40 years into the future. There are already media files that nobody can open any more because the software doesn’t work on modern machines. And I guess I don’t know how ssds change things, but physical platters aren’t really engineered for long-term storage. You’ll need a RAID setup with all kinds of redundancy and people going in regularly to swap out failed drives, which seems a lot harder than just sticking film cans in a salt mine for 80 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I guess that makes sense, but isn’t part of the point of film preservation to have ready access to said films and be able to duplicate them for other people to see them? If you’re going to lock a movie in a salt mine and never let anyone watch it, how is that different from destroying it outright?

It just seems way easier to duplicate modern media files (which literally anyone with a computer can do) vs duplicating reel to reel film stock (which I imagine takes special equipment and training).

Comparing digital media to papyrus feels short-sighted because you’re only able to make that comment about papyrus with the benefit of millennia of hindsight - the library of Alexandria burned to the ground, but Wikipedia can be backed up ad infinitum. there are hundreds of film reels from the nascent years of cinema that are gone forever because the technology for physical preservation was in its infancy. We know about the resilience of papyrus because it literally stood the test of time; what about the other attempts at physical data storage that didn’t work and we know nothing about because they simply decayed? Perhaps we’re in that stage with digital media, and a stable long-term solution is possible but we haven’t figured it out yet?

I feel like there’s some piece of the puzzle I’m not seeing and I’m confident I’m speaking from ignorance here. I’m not trying to be argumentative, I’m genuinely trying to wrap my head around this.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 15, 2021