Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Shiva tree in the background was kinda funny, Miyazaki keeps wearing his influences on right out his sleeve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Still gotta play Sekiro (does that have any fist weapons?)

Sorta, there's a martial arts skill tree that I never used but essentially most things in the game are useful and up to the players preference on how they want to use it.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Still gotta play Sekiro (does that have any fist weapons?) but depending on timing I might wait to play it until after I play Elden Ring. I haven't gotten to play any of the From games when they were new and at peak multiplayer activity so I don't wanna miss that opportunity this time around

there are "weapon arts" that involve tackling/elbowing/kicking people, but the thing you swing with R1 is always sekiro's katana

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

World War Mammories posted:

there are "weapon arts" that involve tackling/elbowing/kicking people, but the thing you swing with R1 is always sekiro's katana

Hmph, acceptable... I guess

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

00:56 looks like the discarded Ashes of Ariandel bell
01:06 Pot Mimips!
01:42 Coop? Could be some sort of Call of the Ancients spell/item though

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cant believe I'm writing this but the trailer has me a little disappointed. I was looking forward to a new IP but so much of the trailer reeks of already been done. But obviously a small sample size.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Game looks like open world Dark Souls with fluid Sekiro combat.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Elden Ring's logo looks like UI splash text from Final Fantasy XIV.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I don't get excited by game trailers anymore because most of the time they're lying. I'll hold my excitement until I'm playing the game and it is enjoyable. But it does look like it's a souls-style IP in theme and gameplay. I honestly don't mind more of the same out of Fromsoft, it's why I've played as much Armored Core as I have.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nintendo and From are like the only companies I'm unreservedly get on the hype train for and everything in that trailer looked exactly like that I'd want to see from the next evolution of the DS formula

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They should make the horse control just like you do. Press O to roll horse

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The horse could have quickstep instead

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

count me in as excited. I could understand someone being disappointed, and maybe I'm a huge nerd for being excited while explicitly acknowledging it's basically Sekoulsborne 8 or whatever we're up to. but I think of back during the dark souls 2 prerelease when peter serafinowicz was in promos for voicing pate, because he had explicitly requested a role. he described the game as "zelda in hell" which is what I've thought ever since. and zelda games are definitely formulaic, and yet they're still almost all great, no? I don't mind being equivalent to a zelda superfan. so in conclusion, sign me the gently caress up for Smough With A Bowl On His Head. I cannot loving wait to lovingly gaze at the enormous thing in the skybox that is yet another outright ripoff from some manga I haven't heard of. all I want right now is to fight yet another large humanoid covered in human limbs for three hours and then finally be rewarded with three sentences of contradictory lore. loving douse me in the slop, i want it

also, ablative horse armor

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

multijoe posted:

The horse could have quickstep instead

yeah, if they were cowards

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Still gotta play Sekiro (does that have any fist weapons?) but depending on timing I might wait to play it until after I play Elden Ring. I haven't gotten to play any of the From games when they were new and at peak multiplayer activity so I don't wanna miss that opportunity this time around

If you even remotely like Fromsoft's boss fights you have to absolutely play Sekiro. It's probably their most stacked games in terms of boss fights other than Bloodborne. The combat is also up there. There is just less replay value compared to the Souls games but even then you can at least play it 2 times to get different boss fights.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

codo27 posted:

Cant believe I'm writing this but the trailer has me a little disappointed. I was looking forward to a new IP but so much of the trailer reeks of already been done. But obviously a small sample size.

It did seem a lot more like just "Dark Souls 4" than I expected.
But yeah it's an early trailer and you can't conclude much from it other than themes and artstyle and 'feel'.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I finally came back to sekiro after bouncing off of it and 2019 right after it came out, and I'm so glad I did. That game is all about breaking bad habits and not ignoring threats, as soon as you're willing to play by the game's rules it is amazing.

It also has the best main-game final boss of any of the seksoulsbornes, like, by far.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The Protagonist posted:

I finally came back to sekiro after bouncing off of it and 2019 right after it came out, and I'm so glad I did. That game is all about breaking bad habits and not ignoring threats, as soon as you're willing to play by the game's rules it is amazing.

It also has the best main-game final boss of any of the seksoulsbornes, like, by far.

Ya I was about hard rage quit at the 2nd genichiro fight, after I beat him the game clicked for me. One of my favorites from From.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I did at the same spot, so did several other people I've talked to.

I don't know if the game ever explicitly teaches you the difference between getting your attack blocked vs. parryed and the subsequent follow-up attacks, but once I realized that it was like I became The One

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It did seem a lot more like just "Dark Souls 4" than I expected.
But yeah it's an early trailer and you can't conclude much from it other than themes and artstyle and 'feel'.

Yeah I can't help but wonder how much of the trailer will actually reflect the final game, given DS3's hilariously chopped up and recombined state. (Which makes it even funnier since the trailer makes it sound like Elden Ring is basically a second try at Dark Souls 3.)

I"m not sure I'd describe my personal feelings on it as disappointed so much as just neutral, I guess. Obviously I was lukewarm on DS3 and I think I don't entirely gel with From's modern output, but I'm still interested - the payoff for the arm motif was :discourse: at least.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 11, 2021

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The horse only fatrolls if you make it wear armor.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
But it's so simple. All we have to do is divine from what we know of Dark Souls: What will the next one look like?
There will be no normal movement, all movement is done by rolling which costs 0 stamina

DangerousSmells
Jan 3, 2021
Looks sick as hell. Can’t wait to be terrible at this one as all others before it.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

giZm posted:

01:06 Pot Mimips!

oreganos

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'm typically loathe to attribute design iteration to "theft" from mods but it looks like ER might be pulling the Cinders summon system... and that's good!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Horse double jump. Horse high jump.

Horse dismount jump into plunging attack. (Horse politely disappears)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
honestly the horse landing with its hooves would be a pretty devastating plunging attack by itself, no need to dismount

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
If I cannot triple jump with my horse then I will not play this game :colbert:

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Hopefully I can double jump into Yoshi jump off the horse for max height.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Hopefully there's fashionsouls for the horse.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Theres no ER thread yet is there?

https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-ring-miyazaki-hidetaka-full-interview-summer-of-gaming?utm_source=twitter

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

yup, here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970413

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

hehe

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

fromsoft, post demon souls

seksoulsbornering

seks souls boner ring

DangerousSmells
Jan 3, 2021
Just fired up Convergence and it whips so far. Only made it to High Wall so far. Playing as a Druid. Anyone have any non-spoilery tips?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

punk rebel ecks posted:

Game looks like open world Dark Souls with fluid Sekiro combat.

Sounds badass to me

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Is this a thread for new playthroughs? I can't say this is blind, I've seen lots of random youtube clips of bossfights and invasions, so alot of the areas are somewhat familiar, but I don't actually know the level layouts or level transitions. And I'm playing it weird as well, I've been doing invasions on my first playthrough.

Well, I started out as Knight with Astora Straight Sword, but I got tired of that because a turtley playstyle doesn't feel as viable as DS1's. And your basic knight shield sucks rear end in comparison to even your basic DS1 Heater shield. And you can't poise through enemy attacks, not with a SS.

So I restarted as a Mercenary, spamming dual wielded Sellsword Twinblades. L1 mashing does a silly amount of damage pve. And in pvp, the L1-WA-R2 wombo combo chunks the hell out of anyone. I usually lose more often than I win, but it does feel like I'm learning alot every time I gently caress up. Like I can't trade with someone with a heavy weapon, I need to dodge their first attack before I punish them, but I can't do that against some 2-handing a Greatsword because their combo will track me to death.

I also did something insane and ground up 10 wolf blood swordgrass while pvping in the woods. Though I'm not totally sure if it's better to have Old Wolf Curvedsword or a Grass Crest Shield on the off-hand is a better stat stick, the former costs alot of equipload.

Notable invasions: I remember murdering someone in the woods. Then the next day, I invade their gold phantom in Cathedral of the Deep. They were waiting in the ambush arena right of the big double doors, I don't know if the pair was trying to bait something, they were AFK, they were unprepared, or they were voice chatting. But it didn't matter, I rushed them from around the corner and 1-combo'd them, scoring me two vertebrae. Another notable invasion: I spawned on top of Cathedral rafters, the host and phantom were waiting near Patches. An unfortunate Blue Sentinel spawned atop the rafters as well, and I managed to rush them down (they couldn't dodge my attacks properly). Unfortunate for them, I got embered and a vertebra, and fortunate for the host, my work was done.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
This is absolutely a thread for first playthroughs! Keep us up to date :)

I recently started a character to cosplay as an Abyss Watcher (well first I made Drax from GotG then I decided he'd be an Abyss Watcher) and joined the Farron covenant to try that out. So far getting my rear end handed to me but otherwise it's been pretty fun playing with their moveset. Once I get enough VIT I'm going to use one of those shields that also lets me use my weapon art so I have a blocking option

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Like I can't trade with someone with a heavy weapon, I need to dodge their first attack before I punish them, but I can't do that against some 2-handing a Greatsword because their combo will track me to death.

I also did something insane and ground up 10 wolf blood swordgrass while pvping in the woods. Though I'm not totally sure if it's better to have Old Wolf Curvedsword or a Grass Crest Shield on the off-hand is a better stat stick, the former costs alot of equipload.

Against bigger weapons you just gotta learn when to punish, or match their big weapon with yours. The Chloranthy Ring provides the same stamina regen Grass Crest does and can be found in the Undead Settlement (hint, investigate the tower lift thoroughly).

Take the lift inside the watchdog faction up and kill the stray demon, you can use its soul to make Havel's Ring (+30% equip load).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I played a ton of this at launch, but got busy with life right after getting to the Grand Archives and dropped off playing. I don't think I realised that I was pretty close to the end. Eventually it'd been long enough that I'd forgotten everything I was doing and decided to shelve it for a while.

Elden Ring coming out soon gave me the motivation to come back and man I forgot how much I love the combat and visuals of this game. I've forgotten all the item locations and plenty of small details so it's a small taste of playing for the first time again.

I know for sure there's a couple optional areas I never got to, plus I've picked up the DLC so I'm excited to get to that eventually. Time to power ahead and use the biggest and most ridiculous weapons I can find.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 19, 2021