Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're going back right to the point when they had time to stop Osamu getting killed when he initially triggered the Singularity project and choosing not to in order to aid Toak sooner instead. There's no reason they couldn't intervene and jump back to start from there.

The archive will just undo anything they try and do over the 100 years, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Reik posted:

The archive will just undo anything they try and do over the 100 years, though.

The Archive could be reasoned with, and was willing to put a stop to everything if Vivy would just sing her song. No reason that had to happen with so many already dead. Hell, they could jump back to a day or so before it all kicks off and sing then.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really wish Shadows House would get a second cour now that we've finally gotten a glimpse of the shape of things in the house as they truly are :suspense:.
I'll probably try to catch up at some point but I really fell behind due to some major real life commitments, E3 streams, and having to spend whatever little time I had left on Dynazenon/Super Cub/Blue Reflection. The issue I sort of ran into with Shadows House is that while the anime has been fine there's been just enough changes to put me off and comparatively the current manga arc is so compelling it occupies far more mental real estate in my brain at the moment than the anime.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Every show is aots but The Saint is Omnipotent is just a little more aots than others.

Or would be if they didn’t include that sad action scene.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really wish Shadows House would get a second cour now that we've finally gotten a glimpse of the shape of things in the house as they truly are :suspense:.

Dang manga ad anime :arghfist:
I already have too many manga to read!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Archive could be reasoned with, and was willing to put a stop to everything if Vivy would just sing her song. No reason that had to happen with so many already dead. Hell, they could jump back to a day or so before it all kicks off and sing then.

I think it’s because they can’t guarantee what will happen to Vivy if they do that. If you send Vivy back the 100 years will archive still accept the “you just need to sing your song for me?” at that exact point? The reason why it wants Vivy to do it at that moment is because AI has gone to such high levels. Singing in the past where AI hasn’t actually evolved much I think defeats the purpose. The second thing is, if you do try to repeat the 100 years, you don’t have a guarantee on Vivy’s safety, and something could possibly destroy her in the meantime. Right now they have what they consider their best, most foolproof plan. So that’s what they’re going to stick with. As far as jumping to just the day before, perhaps that’s possible but again, will archive accept singing the song while the rebellion isn’t happening? Your scenario is predicated on Archive being okay with her singing the song at any specific point.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
holy poo poo to your eternity a happy ending and now the person who's been raising death flags left and right not only lived, but is a hunk of a man

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

holy poo poo to your eternity a happy ending and now the person who's been raising death flags left and right not only lived, but is a hunk of a man

i'm enjoying that show so much. but i know better than to trust it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Black Stones posted:

I think it’s because they can’t guarantee what will happen to Vivy if they do that. If you send Vivy back the 100 years will archive still accept the “you just need to sing your song for me?” at that exact point? The reason why it wants Vivy to do it at that moment is because AI has gone to such high levels. Singing in the past where AI hasn’t actually evolved much I think defeats the purpose. The second thing is, if you do try to repeat the 100 years, you don’t have a guarantee on Vivy’s safety, and something could possibly destroy her in the meantime. Right now they have what they consider their best, most foolproof plan. So that’s what they’re going to stick with. As far as jumping to just the day before, perhaps that’s possible but again, will archive accept singing the song while the rebellion isn’t happening? Your scenario is predicated on Archive being okay with her singing the song at any specific point.

You're forgetting it's The Archive; The moment they connect their experiences get uploaded and it's why The Archive's been aware of the Singularity Project from the very beginning, nudging events back into alignment with the original timeline over the past 100 years. Aside from that, it's not like The Archive would've gotten mid-way through Kill All Humans and decided "you know what, maybe that song is a better idea after all :thunk:". The whole reason they were singing it in the first place was to try and get Vivy to sing it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was pretty disappointed with Jouran's ending. If you're going to kill the main character at least let her do something first.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Supremezero posted:

Vivy, To Your Eternity, 86, Odd Taxi

Honestly like half the season would be AotS in other seasons.

I think I could fill out a typical year's top 10 with just shows airing right now.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Of the shows I've watched this season, my top three would probably be 86, Dynazenon, and Blue Reflection Ray, in no particular order.

Vivy started off promising, and it's been beautifully animated throughout, but at this point it's a toothless, thematically muddled retread of a narrative that's been better handled by other writers countless times before.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Vivy, Higehiro, Nagatoro.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Toonami's adaptation of Uzumaki has been delayed to October 2022.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If yall are looking for something else to watch don't forget about Link Click (I still need to catch up on it :negative:)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

86 is my show of the season. Vivy was very good up until the last episode or two and is really struggling to stick this landing.

Nagatoro is a great rendition of the manga. Really love that.

I continue to look forward to Super Cub each week.

Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun has been pretty blah, except for Iruma's evil cycle arc. I could honestly skip everything else this season.

300 Years of killin' slimes is a great little show.

Kumo Desu Ga, Nani Ka, is really hampered by the lovely studio it got saddled with. In the hands of a better studio it would been competing for AOTS.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

So what I'm getting out of all this is that every anime is AOTS. It seems like there's something for everyone, regardless of individual taste. When was the last time we had a season this strong? Does anyone here NOT feel like there is a stand-out for them personally?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Malsangoroth posted:

So what I'm getting out of all this is that every anime is AOTS. It seems like there's something for everyone, regardless of individual taste. When was the last time we had a season this strong? Does anyone here NOT feel like there is a stand-out for them personally?

Last season.

If you mean besides that, which is probably the same reason as this season (build up due to delays from covid), not for a long rear end time.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's not just the Covid delay it's also this and last season have had sequel series to strong shows from before (Yurucamp, ZLS, Gridman, Megalobox) or had sequel series that improved on the previous series greatly (Umamusume)

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

If yall are looking for something else to watch don't forget about Link Click (I still need to catch up on it :negative:)

The subs got so bad that I lost interest.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Last season.

If you mean besides that, which is probably the same reason as this season (build up due to delays from covid), not for a long rear end time.

I think the delays are a part of it, but if that was the whole of the thing, then the raw number of shows would be the most notable inflection point, and the raw numbers there are similar to summer 2019.

This season's just an old fashioned perfect storm. A lot of good originals, a lot of interesting sequels, and a few long awaited adaptations all come together to make a much more interesting season than we usual get.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm a bit disappointed with the latest episode of Vivy and firing the Singularity project for the second time... just to go back a few hours to after the War has already started and casualties are mounting. Sure does suck for those tens of thousands of people that have needlessly died when we could've gone back 100 years again and re-done it all properly in a much better way with proper foresight!
Realistic reason: they have one episode left to wrap this up. Resetting again and presenting the world with incontrovertible evidence across 200 years and two timelines proving that AIs are going to Kill Everything seems like it'd be a bit more effective. Maybe we'll find out you can't do an information paradox like that or something.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Sindai posted:

I was pretty disappointed with Jouran's ending. If you're going to kill the main character at least let her do something first.

Yeah that was poo poo. She did really piss off Asahi, so that's one thing.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
People talked alot about how good 86's direction is, but I don't think that's really true, it's competent at best, mostly unexceptional, and occasionally tries to pull off big tricks and fails. I wasn't impressed by Lena's run through the city, it seemed absurd. And the weird decision to pair food dropping with people going splat is absurd, like a joke from Austin Powers. The fundamental problem was that the director's pacing of the scenes just didn't sit right.

WITH the exception of this episode, which followed a single group, allowed the story to unfold and slowly breath, focusing the camera on the otherwise tactiturn character's mask finally slipping off and allowing him to laugh. That was an actually good episode.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Sindai posted:

Same. Along with, in my opinion, Asahi being alive coming mostly out of nowhere setting up for a happier ending. This is the ending I expected where the plot was at two or three episodes ago. Such a shame cause the art, sound direction, and voice acting were so on point.
6/10 show, wouldn't not recommend it if asked, but would also recommend other things ahead of it to spend your time on.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Going to work on the next seasonal thread this weekend. As is tradition, if you have any thread title recommendations, feel free to drop them in this thread.

For reference, here's the shows next season:
https://anichart.net/Summer-2021
https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2021/summer

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

The Islamic Shock posted:

Realistic reason: they have one episode left to wrap this up. Resetting again and presenting the world with incontrovertible evidence across 200 years and two timelines proving that AIs are going to Kill Everything seems like it'd be a bit more effective. Maybe we'll find out you can't do an information paradox like that or something.

To be fair, he apologized that it was the best he could do and since we don't have any insight into the time travel tech we have to assume the expert knows what he's doing. It also makes sense that the Archive is going to start the uprising regardless of how far they go back since it's already weathered attempts to prevent it and seem to view it as a prerequisite to making a deal with Vivy. I'm cautiously hopeful that there's a reveal of why the Archive thinks the uprising is necessary which is possible since it's been actively guiding towards this point so it'd make sense that it's also forecast far beyond.

I'm mildly curious if there's going to be 2 Vivy's, updating her old consciousness with new memories, or her current personality overwriting the past version. Up to now it's basically been Matsumoto as an AI and information to Kakitani so nothing physical yet.

I'm still loving the show and glad that 12 cranked the intensity way back up after 11 was a bit :words:, even if it was needed to set up the final arc.

Between this and Godzilla:SP, it's been a great season. Thunderbolt Fantasy is probably 3rd place and I'm liking it a lot more than season 2. 86 is really good but uneven for me, same with Kumo but I got started on the WN way way back and it's being ruined by the studio. Back Arrow has been the surprise of the season after basically doing almost nothing the entire first season then hitting the jets, then afterburners this season. Rounding out my list is 300 slimes for chill watching between murdershows. Still want to watch taxi and eternity based off this thread but there's so much already.

Special mention goes to Dynazenon for always being almost entertaining. It felt like it was about to do something when Anti showed up, so much so that I went and binged SSSS.Gridman, which I hadn't seen, and got hyped. Then Dynazenon proceeded to do about as much character development and plot progression as an ep or two of Gridman through the rest of the season. Maybe the last ep will go somewhere beyond rewarding frame by frame comparisons comparing series for subtle symbolism and lingering profile shots but I'm not holding my breath.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Islamic Shock posted:

Nah, you just speedrun the "Good Ends" in quick vignettes. Saved the plane this time, took out Elizabeth sooner so the Sunrise stays in orbit, intervened a few years early so Grace doesn't get Metal Float'ed, talked down Antonio at the performance, spend the last twenty years refining the song aaaand *checks watch* sing it now five minutes before the drones start cannonballing people from the sky.

Jymmybob posted:

To be fair, he apologized that it was the best he could do and since we don't have any insight into the time travel tech we have to assume the expert knows what he's doing.

The problem is that the tech might be damaged now, but they're sending Vivy back to a moment where it was all primed and ready to go back the full century, and they could reach it in time (they specifically say NOT to go save Osamu, remember). Just go again from there!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is that the tech might be damaged now, but they're sending Vivy back to a moment where it was all primed and ready to go back the full century, and they could reach it in time (they specifically say NOT to go save Osamu, remember). Just go again from there!

Potential excuse for writer to use: If the system operates off of stored energy, and they use enough to send her back a century, then there might not be enough left in the near future to send her back the small jump.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paracelsus posted:

Potential excuse for writer to use: If the system operates off of stored energy, and they use enough to send her back a century, then there might not be enough left in the near future to send her back the small jump.

They disprove a predestination paradox being a factor with rescuing Osamu the first time around - he never fires off the Singularity Project.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

KariOhki posted:

Same. Along with, in my opinion, Asahi being alive coming mostly out of nowhere setting up for a happier ending. This is the ending I expected where the plot was at two or three episodes ago. Such a shame cause the art, sound direction, and voice acting were so on point.
6/10 show, wouldn't not recommend it if asked, but would also recommend other things ahead of it to spend your time on.

I haven't watched the finale yet, but Asahi being alive felt like the biggest cop-out. I'm honestly surprised that this was an anime original, with how inconsistent and improvised the story felt at times I could've sworn it was an adaptation of some weekly serialization.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Super Cub girl should probably not put down "rescue services" on her career aspirations form when she graduates.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Shout out to whoever the translator for Moriarty the Patriot is. They're clearly having a lot of fun peppering the dialogue with ridiculous victorianisms.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they're a good egg despite using such terms as colliery in a trice

s2 when though

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

dogsicle posted:

s2 when though

Currently?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't count split cour as season

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Nate RFB posted:

Super Cub girl should probably not put down "rescue services" on her career aspirations form when she graduates.

She lived out her dream of stuffing a tiny person in her front basket.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah, that was a bit haphazard and seemed like a good way to cause hypothermia to me. :ohdear:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Every second of this rescue is better than the last. Amazing intro.

gently caress no I didn’t call an ambulance I called something better.

kater fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Nate RFB posted:

Or trauma therapist. Udon cook, on the other hand...