Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
If a Battle Royale is just multiple squads in the same area scavenging for weapons, then Halo multiplayer would be considered Battle Royale.

I feel like a BR is when it ends when only one person or team is left standing, and there’s a mechanic that pushes all characters together for force fighting like in the book the game mode is based off of. Tarkov you wan win without ever seeing a real enemy and there’s no force pushing you all together unless you happen to choose the same extract point as another team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Zzulu posted:

There is a time and place for meatgrinders. I enjoyed metro mostly because, a) it was a lot of indoor metro environments which was cool (still like the idea of fighting in subways and stuff) and b) because you had basically constant action at all times since it was fairly linear and people weren't so spread out. Also, c) you didn't get poo poo on by air at all~

Speaking of the BF3 map, I dunno if there were other iterations

c) is actually a way bigger positive than should be reasonable.

And honestly I'm mostly salty about the whole thing where they keep remaking it. Way back, in BF4, they had some sort of contest which map should be remade.

And out of all the cool maps BF3 had, goddamn Metro was chosen. And apparently BF1 or BF5 has a version too?

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Yami Fenrir posted:

And apparently BF1 or BF5 has a version too?

yeah....

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I cant watch it, whats this about a Tarkov clone

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fart Car '97 posted:

Tarkov is absolutely in the same vein of games as your standard battle royale titles. Solo or Small squad, open world pvp survival, High stakes, loot based. It's a evolution of the formula but it's much more akin to PUBG than it is a looter shooter or a standard BF or COD MP. Hazard Zone sounds like an obvious grab at the Apex/Warzone/PUBG playerbase but I guess we'll find out on the 22nd.

Trouble with this is Escape from Tarkov was out three months before anyone knew Fortnite's BR mode existed, only five months after PUBG was released into early access and I'm fairly sure was showing off trailers before PUBG was even announced.

The devs of Tarkov are absolutely the kind of nerds who might have played the original ArmA mods that started the whole thing but even then it remains pretty off base.

eonwe posted:

I cant watch it, whats this about a Tarkov clone

Hazard Zone is probably a Tarkov-like mode from the way they're talking about it but it's not confirmed.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I don't care if it's a BR or a MMO. A EFT mode in Battlefield would be really, really freaking fun.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Agreed.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I don't care if it's a BR or a MMO. A EFT mode in Battlefield would be really, really freaking fun.

but you can already buy battlepacks

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Fart Car '97 posted:

Tarkov is absolutely in the same vein of games as your standard battle royale titles. Solo or Small squad, open world pvp survival, High stakes, loot based. It's a evolution of the formula but it's much more akin to PUBG than it is a looter shooter or a standard BF or COD MP. Hazard Zone sounds like an obvious grab at the Apex/Warzone/PUBG playerbase but I guess we'll find out on the 22nd.
I'd call it BR-adjacent but not actually a BR itself and that games like Tarkov/Hunt are more offshoots or continuations of the orginal DayZ concept. Like if BRs are a codified, proper version of the end-state of DayZ (hunting other players once you are geared because there isn't anything else to do), then games like Tarkov, Hunt, and The Division 1's Survival Mode are the mirror of that, taking the original concept of an open world that you scavenge gear in and is populated by enemy NPCs and players that may or may not be hostile and adding objectives other than directly shooting other players.

Maybe I'm totally off-base because I'm missing some crucial facts or something but that has always made the most sense to me.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Insert name here posted:

I'd call it BR-adjacent but not actually a BR itself and that games like Tarkov/Hunt are more offshoots or continuations of the orginal DayZ concept. Like if BRs are a codified, proper version of the end-state of DayZ (hunting other players once you are geared because there isn't anything else to do), then games like Tarkov, Hunt, and The Division 1's Survival Mode are the mirror of that, taking the original concept of an open world that you scavenge gear in and is populated by enemy NPCs and players that may or may not be hostile and adding objectives other than directly shooting other players.

Maybe I'm totally off-base because I'm missing some crucial facts or something but that has always made the most sense to me.

Makes sense to me though the maps/zones/locations what have you in ETF are much smaller and the primary focus is, as you said, completely different. It's objective first and foremost

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Op Locker isn't as bad as Metro is, and Metro isn't bad in modes like Rush where the linear design contributes something and you can visit cool other areas of the map.

They're both outdone by Fort de Vaux though. What a map! I'm never upset when that one comes up in BF1. There's enough variety, plenty of routes, the capture points provide plenty of cover to actually hold a point in contest.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Chronojam posted:

Op Locker isn't as bad as Metro is, and Metro isn't bad in modes like Rush where the linear design contributes something and you can visit cool other areas of the map.

They're both outdone by Fort de Vaux though. What a map! I'm never upset when that one comes up in BF1. There's enough variety, plenty of routes, the capture points provide plenty of cover to actually hold a point in contest.

Argonne was a pretty good map too

https://streamable.com/eqzcl

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Can we please get Strike at Karkand back

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

buglord posted:

:agreed:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

buglord posted:

And gulf of oman :yeah:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Please don't have a BR mode

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
BR mode please, but only on Wake Island.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Yami Fenrir posted:

For me that's Operation Metro and Locker.

I'm still baffled at the popularity of those maps tbh.

A lot of people just want to play point and click games. Have your scope resting on one thin corner, and wait for enemy pixels to fill it. 24/7.

It's why I don't understand hill wookies, it's agonizing to me to just stay in one place.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Cardboard Fox posted:

BR mode please, but only on Metro.

There you go, 2 birds 1 cup or whatever

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Chronojam posted:

:hmmyes:

This is a good opinion.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I love running around like a dumb son of a bitch getting eaten alive by snipers and tanks and helicopters and having an absolutely embarrassing k:d ratio cause it's fun to run around.

...I'm 100% serious.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Symetrique posted:

Argonne was a pretty good map too

https://streamable.com/eqzcl

The best grinder

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

A lot of people just want to play point and click games. Have your scope resting on one thin corner, and wait for enemy pixels to fill it. 24/7.

It's why I don't understand hill wookies, it's agonizing to me to just stay in one place.

Ditto. The game is about playing the objectives. The announcer and UI updates you about playing the objectives. The scoreboard has to be brought up by pressing tab to see how well you're doing.

MUST PLAY OBJECTIVES...and every now and then collect a dogtag of some shitlord sitting on the edges of the map. Or find some other hilarious way to kill him.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Any PC goons wanna jump on some bf4?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Argonne is a perfectly fine infantry only map but it feels like it comes up in rotation more than any other map (except possibly Suez) so I’m fairly tired of it

Amiens, however, is one of the series-best urban maps and I will never get sick of it

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

buglord posted:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You will surely get the Karkand

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Argonne is a perfectly fine infantry only map but it feels like it comes up in rotation more than any other map (except possibly Suez) so I’m fairly tired of it

Amiens, however, is one of the series-best urban maps and I will never get sick of it

The 1-2 punch in the Kaiserschlacht operation of St. Quentin Scar with it's traditional trench warfare transitioning to semi field combat to small urban back to semi field followed by Amien really make it one of the best operations in BF1.

Seriously 2 of the best launch maps back to back.

St Quentin Scar in conquest sucks though

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

eonwe posted:

I'm going to hold u to this

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i wonder what crazy overpowered and awesome explosive gadgets we'll get this time ala the UCAV or XM25 airburst?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

FAUXTON posted:

battle royale is just counterstrike without teams
I mean there are squads, so really all battle royales are actually descendants from Bad Company 2's squad deathmatch mode

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

eonwe posted:

Going to hold you accountable in Rocket League

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

https://twitter.com/BFBulletin/status/1404879023478607872?s=20

Team Fortress vibes now?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I don't want this game to turn into another Battlefield Heroes.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: HAMADA UNIT OF MEASUREMENT CONFIRMED :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
jesus christ

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Seems like it would be more helpful if they were all compared to hamada, making it the standard unit of measurement?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I wonder if that’s referring to places that can be walked and driven on or if they’re airspace for the jets to gently caress around in. They mentioned that the airspace has been ramped way up for the skylords.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
players are feeling the Battlefield urge. I managed to find a full Blood Money server for the first time in ages :chanpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I'm so hype I've been watching every trailer breakdown video I can find looking for more gameplay details. I know people were wondering about vehicle entry/exit animations. Not sure about exit animations but it was pointed out that you can see an entry animation for someone jumping in one of the side gunner seats on the Osprey being pulled into the tornado. You have to slow it right down to see it. I liked the animations so as long as they are kept to a couple seconds I think it'll be ok. I just hope they aren't as long as the BF5 troop carrier one where you open the doors and walk all the way through from the back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WomAGoEh-Ss&t=135s