Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've been carrying one third of a warhammer for in game months. Some day! I will recreate the cinematic from the abandoned MW game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

sean10mm posted:

The Marauder is like the one thing to NOT put snubs on, funny enough, because cluster weapons don't work as well with the lance command module called shot bonus.

Spam >30 damage per beam/projectile weapons and aim at the head.

Q_res posted:

Yeah, shove your Snubs on a Warhammer if you've got one.

Good to know, thanks!!
I'll work towards getting a Warhammer next. I'm still only on 2 skull missions and the next story mission is 2.5 stars.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
tell us how it goes. We don't get many first time stories in thread anymore. People are usually pretty helpful too

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Would someone mind explaining kinda the why off LRM's vs say UAC or just AC?
I understand LRM's do stability damage down and can known down mechs when it gets high enough but I feel I rarely get there vs aiming for legs or being to the side of mechs to hit leg/arm

I am using a Trebuchet with 2 LRM's 15 and breaching shot. I tend to do multitarget to ensure I get the breaching effect and I see the numbers but I just don't see the actual damage if that makes sense.
Maybe I need a heavier mech or some LRM's 20 but I'm just not loving the 15's

Compare that to the Wolverine I modded up during my first campaign go around(realized I didn't like how I built a few of my warriors so just restarted) where I slapped in SRM 6's and 4's and the mech felt like a brawler. The damage seemed more consistent and by upping the Armour he could draw fire

Even using the.....mech whose name is completely escaping me....has 2 2AC+ and 2 5AC+...that thing seems to hit like a truck. Doesn't quite have the Armour I want but the AC's put in work

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I understand LRM's do stability damage down and can known down mechs when it gets high enough but I feel I rarely get there vs aiming for legs or being to the side of mechs to hit leg/arm

I am using a Trebuchet with 2 LRM's 15 and breaching shot. I tend to do multitarget to ensure I get the breaching effect and I see the numbers but I just don't see the actual damage if that makes sense.

Compare that to the Wolverine I modded up during my first campaign go around(realized I didn't like how I built a few of my warriors so just restarted) where I slapped in SRM 6's and 4's and the mech felt like a brawler. The damage seemed more consistent and by upping the Armour he could draw fire

Even using the.....mech whose name is completely escaping me....has 2 2AC+ and 2 5AC+...that thing seems to hit like a truck. Doesn't quite have the Armour I want but the AC's put in work

The big advantage to LRMs vs ACs is indirect fire. You can take your LRM boat and park it behind a hill or a building and never take direct fire unless things go badly wrong. That allows you to skimp on Armor and Jump Jets and put all your weight in LRMs and Ammo. Take a Stalker and load it to the gills with LRMs and rain death from out of sight and you'll see what I mean.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Tiny Chalupa posted:

LRMs really only work great in mass quantities and with +++ stability damage variants. Like 2xLRM20+++ or 3xLRM15+++ on a heavy or 4xLRM15 (or more!) on an assault can mess things up good. The Trebuchet is kind of a stupid mech because it sacrifices available tonnage for speed, when LRMs have almost unlimited reach so its speed means nothing.

SRM+medium laser spam is very strong.

The Jagermech only seems strong because it sacrifices all its armor to carry more guns, it weighs 65 tons and is fragile for a 45 tonner Ultimately you will need to either reconfigure it completely or just junk it. The AC2 in particular is a trash gun because it weighs way too much just to do the damage of one medium laser, at the very least convert it from 2xAC2 2xAC5 to 3xAC5.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Organ Fiend posted:

-What is the exact directory path of mod.json?
-What is the exact directory path for the modified .json files?
-Can you post the contents of your mod.json here?
-Do you see your mod listed when you start the game and click on the MODS button on the title screen?

Organ Fiend posted:

-What is the exact directory path of mod.json?

C:\Users\sturm\Documents\My Games\BattleTech\mods

Organ Fiend posted:

-What is the exact directory path for the modified .json files?

C:\Users\sturm\Documents\My Games\BattleTech\mods\PPC_Rebalance\StreamingAssets\data\weapon

Organ Fiend posted:

-Can you post the contents of your mod.json here?

{
"Name": "PPC_Rebalance",
"Enabled": true,

"Version": "1.0.0",
"Description": "Fix PPC heat",
"Author": "Me",
"Website": "https://github.com/lol/notarealurl",
"Contact": "",

"Settings" : {}
}

Organ Fiend posted:

-Do you see your mod listed when you start the game and click on the MODS button on the title screen?

No, I don't see any mods. I get a message like "no mods detected". Actually, that's been the only check I've been doing. Maybe I'm really dumb for not actually loading a save and checking a PPC? I'll go do that now.

Note: I also copied the contents into "C:\Steam in C\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\mods"

Edit: I confirmed the mod is not working in the Mech Bay.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 15, 2021

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
LRMs are for longer range stability damage more than physical damage, and indirect. Slap a bunch of instability onto someone, then slam 'em with the ACs - if you can force a knockdown, they're now easier to hit, location-targetable, their evasion is trashed, if/when they get up their accuracy is now poo poo and quite possibly they took an injury. 2 knockdowns and a side torso usually equals free mech. (As long as they don't have extra health, injury resistance, et cetera.) You can use the LRMs to clean up on unstable mechs if that's your preference, and with multishot you can down more than one.

Indirect is good because if you can see/hit someone with direct fire, you can be hit. LRMs are the same way, but if you can bonk on that 4 AC one without them being able to shoot back, or some track carrying eight SRM6s, it can be worth it.

Special ammo, if available, makes LRMs loving *vile*. Inferno, FASCAM, Inferno-FASCAM, acid, magpulse (screws with electronics and cooling), tandem (less damage, but half is guaranteed internal damage per hit, with possible crits), all kinds of fun stuff... I'm running RogueTech so all this is available, but I'm enjoying the hell out of dropping minefields (regular/IFF-equipped/Inferno) all over the place and watch temps go up and leg armor go down. :unsmigghh:

When I ran vanilla, as soon as I could I built some heavy/assault LRMboats, which kept enemies staggering or falling while my dual-AC20 King Crabs waddled up. Although, I guess even vanilla toned LRMapalooza stab damage down. <shrug>

e;fb as usual

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 15, 2021

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

LRMS also got their ability to knock things over nerfed HARD. Like with a lrm 70 stalker you could max the stability bar on 3 assaults at once and knock them all over with the next mech and then use your list 2 mechs to abuse the free called shots you just made

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Jack B Nimble posted:

C:\Users\sturm\Documents\My Games\BattleTech\mods

Try putting it here:

code:
C:\path_to_your_steam_folder\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\Mods
At some point they changed where the game looked for mods, and then they changed it back.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Organ Fiend posted:

Try putting it here:

code:
C:\path_to_your_steam_folder\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\Mods
At some point they changed where the game looked for mods, and then they changed it back.

I have the exact same file/folder structure in C:\Steam in C\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\mods as well, yeah.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Jack B Nimble posted:

I have the exact same file/folder structure in C:\Steam in C\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\mods as well, yeah.

Does capitalizing Mods change anything?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Organ Fiend posted:

Does capitalizing Mods change anything?

Sorry, no.

I'm going to look at everything from the begining again.

How do I make a .JSON file? I named it .JSON, it shows as .JSON in the file type. And mod.json goes in the \Mods\ folder?

Edit: Also, I have "mods enabled" checked in the upper right hand corner of the UI.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 16, 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Jobbo_Fett posted:

All the combat rolls he posts implies its done by Megamek

It's not. I roll physical dice, it just so happens BattleTech's formulas are very straightforward and everyone's used to the base + range + movement + enemy movement + other modifiers format!

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Any advice for fitting a Marauder 3M in Bexce? I've got it with a uac5 , 2 LL+ and a medium laser+ but it feels like its not hitting hard enough for a sniper. I replaced an Awesome with 5 LL+ which felt like it hit harder.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
e: double post

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Organ Fiend posted:

The best assault mech is the Annihilator for the following indisputable reasons:
-It is called the Annihilator
-It Annihilates things
-It has the most Dakka
-It looks like Godzilla
The best assault mech is the Longbow because it looks cute and dinky as it waddles along trying to keep up, plus its arms looks like giant garbage cans full of missiles

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Jack B Nimble posted:

Sorry, no.

I'm going to look at everything from the begining again.

How do I make a .JSON file? I named it .JSON, it shows as .JSON in the file type. And mod.json goes in the \Mods\ folder?

Edit: Also, I have "mods enabled" checked in the upper right hand corner of the UI.

Could you post a similar screenshot of the directory containing the weapon .json files?

Also, could you post the content of the weapon .json files?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Carcer posted:

Any advice for fitting a Marauder 3M in Bexce? I've got it with a uac5 , 2 LL+ and a medium laser+ but it feels like its not hitting hard enough for a sniper. I replaced an Awesome with 5 LL+ which felt like it hit harder.

The AWS is going to hit harder because it has a smaller engine (hence the lower speed) and therefore more free tonnage for guns. Because the MAD in BEX doesn't have its called shot bonus, its not going to be ripping off heads easily. The MAD does have two quirks that are useful (+1 hit defense from low profile and the command mech +1 init till hit for full lance), but they don't outweight the AWS's firepower completely. The MAD vs AWS question basically comes down to a simple question of speed/initiative vs more firepower. Its really up to you which is more important. They're both decent mechs.

Your MAD config looks fine except for the ML. Drop it and add another heat sink. Alternately, if you're using a pilot with coolant flush, go hotter and turn the LLs into PPCs (preferably with +stability or +damage). A heat efficiency bar of 3 or 4 is fine for a coolant flush pilot. If the MAD just isn't sniping up to your standards, and the AWS is just better, then you could turn it into an infighter. You could go AC20, 4xML with a coolant flush/evasive pilot. This would probably be a better use of the MAD's speed, initiative, and +1 hit defense bonus.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Thanks for advice, I think I'll go back to the awesome then, assuming I didn't sell it like an idiot.

I'm using it on my long range support/sniper character who I was using to core/take all the armor off important sections before my brawlers went in for the kill.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Organ Fiend posted:

One of the big holes in mech balancing that hasn't really been addressed by any mechwarrior game, including MW4, is accounting for mech geometry.

In MW4 there were some mechs, like the Zeus, that had otherwise decent stats, but were simply unusable because they had huge torso panels that were easy to target/focus down. The Madcat and Daishi were worthless initially because their CT hitbox comprised the entire "nose". The hitboxes were later changed (don't remember if this was a mod or a developer patch) so that the side torso hit boxes extended down the sides of the "nose" and they both suddenly became really good mechs. The bushwacker was one of the toughest mediums in the game due to its low profile and its narrow torso hitboxes. The Raven was a total bastard to hit because it was small, skinny, and rocked back and forth when it ran. The Nova Cat was so good, not just because it could carry 6-7 ERLL, but also because all of its guns were at eye level.

I don't remember any mechs in MWO with death geometry, although the scale is (was?) off for a lot of mechs. The GHR is like as tall as an Atlas, IIRC. There's also a big difference between hip-shooters and eye-level shooters too.

A good/new mechwarrior game would need to account for geometry differences in the construction system with counter balancing buffs/penalties. E.g. smaller size = fewer crits, hip-shooter = better melee (or shoulder shooter = no melee offence/defence), etc.

the orion and stalker get a rough go in MW5 because on the orion the CT is the entire boxy middle section, while the side torsos are just the little shoulder caps where the rocket launchers live. the stalker gets the daishi treatment where the majority of the cone is CT, with the side torsos being where the SRMs are housed.

the king crab gets a rough shake with its head hitbox, because the body is so flat anything that actually hits the front has a decent chance of hitting the window as well. i've not died to it yet, but i get head hits more frequently in it than in other stuff. it could just be like selection bias because i might be taking fewer hits overall due to the flat shape.

the king crab and regular crab also suffer with their arm mounts being so low. the king crab's arms are at like knee level on any other mech, so they're actually more of a disadvantage than anything, especially as the arms get not left-right independent movement from the torso. but then it has a laser and missile mount at above head level, which is nice. the archer also gets extremely high mounts for its center torso energy hardpoints.

for all the stuff that MW5 fucks up, it is at least nice that the hunchback and urbanmech really excel in the urban environments the lore says they were designed for. now they just need to make the AI less keen to take to the open field. it's more a problem with urbies than with hunchbacks, i think because the AI in MW5 likes to get into average range for all its weapons, so because the urbie has that poo poo little backup small laser, it's keen to get up close to you. the hunchback plays it a lot more coy and does stick back in cover, because the small laser is a much smaller % of its overall armament.

i figured it out when i swapped the MLs on my catapult for smalls so i could fit in more ammo, with the hope that it would encourage my lancemate who drove it to stay back and missile boat more. instead it just made him decide he needed to get into knife fight range for all these small lasers.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
While I'm asking for advice I may as well post my loadouts to make sure I'm not screwing something up without realizing it.

Orion brawler:

Grasshoper jumping assassin:

Highlander brawler/jumping assassin:

Awesome sniper/backup brawler

The Orion is getting a bit outclassed, especially now that I've started dipping into fighting clans. I've done one 1v1v1 clan mission and it was touch and go with them knocking the highlander over at one point, though it ultimately didn't take internal damage as the clanners overheated themselves too much to keep up the pressure.

Got the cUAC/20 out of that fight though so I'm pretty happy.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 16, 2021

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the orion and stalker get a rough go in MW5 because on the orion the CT is the entire boxy middle section, while the side torsos are just the little shoulder caps where the rocket launchers live. the stalker gets the daishi treatment where the majority of the cone is CT, with the side torsos being where the SRMs are housed.

the king crab gets a rough shake with its head hitbox, because the body is so flat anything that actually hits the front has a decent chance of hitting the window as well. i've not died to it yet, but i get head hits more frequently in it than in other stuff. it could just be like selection bias because i might be taking fewer hits overall due to the flat shape.

I just spent a long time looking at this and the linked PDF:
http://raksarmory.blogspot.com/p/mechwarrior-online-mech-weakspots-guide.html

It doesn't look like the Orion's and Stalker's hitboxes are that bad? Maybe they're using different hitboxes for MW5 (I wouldn't put it past PGI).

for all the stuff that MW5 fucks up, it is at least nice that the hunchback and urbanmech really excel in the urban environments the lore says they were designed for. now they just need to make the AI less keen to take to the open field. it's more a problem with urbies than with hunchbacks, i think because the AI in MW5 likes to get into average range for all its weapons, so because the urbie has that poo poo little backup small laser, it's keen to get up close to you. the hunchback plays it a lot more coy and does stick back in cover, because the small laser is a much smaller % of its overall armament.

i figured it out when i swapped the MLs on my catapult for smalls so i could fit in more ammo, with the hope that it would encourage my lancemate who drove it to stay back and missile boat more. instead it just made him decide he needed to get into knife fight range for all these small lasers.

What they should have done is allow you to assign a role to each mech and/or guess the role based on armament, and then change the AI template based on that. This reeks of laziness and/or lack of understanding of how mechwarrior "works".

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Carcer posted:

While I'm asking for advice I may as well post my loadouts to make sure I'm not screwing something up without realizing it.

Orion brawler:

The Orion is getting a bit outclassed, especially now that I've started dipping into fighting clans. I've done one 1v1v1 clan mission and it was touch and go with them knocking the highlander over at one point, though it ultimately didn't take internal damage as the clanners overheated themselves too much to keep up the pressure.

I'm not a fan of Jump Jets on Heavies or Assaults....they just weigh too drat much, especially on Assaults. That Orion in particular feels way undergunned for a 75 ton 'mech.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Organ Fiend posted:

I just spent a long time looking at this and the linked PDF:
http://raksarmory.blogspot.com/p/mechwarrior-online-mech-weakspots-guide.html

It doesn't look like the Orion's and Stalker's hitboxes are that bad? Maybe they're using different hitboxes for MW5 (I wouldn't put it past PGI).

What they should have done is allow you to assign a role to each mech and/or guess the role based on armament, and then change the AI template based on that. This reeks of laziness and/or lack of understanding of how mechwarrior "works".

yeah, there is a command menu for your lancemates but it's limited to 'hold fire/fire at will' 'attack my target' 'follow me' 'go here (where i am aiming)'. what i really wanted was the ability to set an engagement distance for each of my guys, which is something games have had for decades now so i'm not sure why it isn't in. i don't know why you can't set roles for them like 'fire support' or 'brawler'

this is the paperdoll for the orion in-game, which i guess could represent the MWO hitboxes, but it feels like it's pretty rare for me to take very much damage to the side torso vs the center torso, whereas on a lot of other mechs it's very different:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

jng2058 posted:

I'm not a fan of Jump Jets on Heavies or Assaults....they just weigh too drat much, especially on Assaults. That Orion in particular feels way undergunned for a 75 ton 'mech.

The reason it feels undergunned is because I uploaded the wrong pic and thats the grasshopper.

Here's the correct one, with the above image also fixed.

Broadly speaking I also won't put jumpjets on most heavies/assaults but the Grasshopper needs them and they're incredibly useful on the Highlander for mobility or to jump behind an enemy that gets too close and then core them with a rear CT shot.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Carcer posted:

The reason it feels undergunned is because I uploaded the wrong pic and thats the grasshopper.

Here's the correct one, with the above image also fixed.

Broadly speaking I also won't put jumpjets on most heavies/assaults but the Grasshopper needs them and they're incredibly useful on the Highlander for mobility or to jump behind an enemy that gets too close and then core them with a rear CT shot.

That makes much more sense. I was wondering how you got all those Support slots on an Orion. Yeah, short of getting an UAC on the Orion and making it a sniper, I'm not sure there's much better to do with it than what you've got there. Just not enough weapon slots on that frame. :shrug:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah its a shame, probably one of my favorite mechs but there's not enough energy or missile slots to really focus it in any direction without making it a sniper of some sort.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

jng2058 posted:

Counterpoint: I put jump jets on *almost* every goddamn thing.

Exceptions:

1) Pure LRM boats because mobility doesn't matter for them AT ALL
2) When you're stuck using trash lights early on it's better to pull all jump jets and put that weight to armor
3) Cyclops Z because its free tonnage sucks for its weight and it takes 8 tons to give it the full 4 jump which lolnope
4) The Annihilator can only take 2 jump jets that weigh 2 tons each so why bother

Otherwise I love the extra mobility, even on slow assaults I like to have jump jets to take the edge off how lovely their walking speed is. Even with sniper-y assaults I like to at least be able to jump onto higher ground to shoot down on fools.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is full jump always 4 jets?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Carcer posted:

Your configs overall look good. The fact that you have comms systems++ in each mech is already great.

Carcer posted:

Orion brawler:

Think this picture is wrong

Carcer posted:

You've got the right idea, but I'd go hotter. Fill those energy hardpoints and go up to 7xML. I usually go with 7xML, 2xSL, 4xMG, 1 ton ammo. The 4xMG keeps the heat manageable, but if you don't have any ++MGs, then the SLs may be better. The idea is 100% kill anything with a single precision strike to the back. More guns means a lower chance of bad rolls taking the kill from you. That said I usually use a coolant flush pilot, but if you're using a MT pilot (and the idea is to get two shots before jumping away), then this may be fine.

Carcer posted:

That's way too much ammo. I'd go with 4 tons, maximum for the UAC20. Three usually works for me. Add a targeting computer for the UAC20 (the ++TTS that give +3 ballistic accuracy and weigh only one ton are absolutely worth whatever they're selling for on the black market), and 2xML.

Carcer posted:

Solid. The next time you fight the clans start stocking up on CERPPCs. They are king poo poo of all weapons, period. Start replacing LLs with CERPPCs as you get them.

Carcer posted:

Ultimately, if you want to go for the higher-skull clan missions, you're going to need clan mechs. A Dire Wolf will completely outclass anything that the AWS can do. A Gladiator will completely outclass anything the Highlander can do. The Orion and GHR can be replaced by Madcats and Glads, depending on pilots/role.

Follow the linked post here for my endgame configs for MADs, DAIs, and GLAs:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is full jump always 4 jets?

Nah, it's based on the top walking speed of the 'mech. So a Spider which in tabletop can walk 8 hexes and run 12, can have a maximum of 8 Jump Jets, while an UrbanMech which walks 2 and runs 3 can only have 2 JJs.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Fuuuck. Wait really? So I should/could just put them in until it won't take no more?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It depends what you're building but full jump jets on the light mechs often means you're sacrificing armor or guns, or both, and will lead to failure.

Organ Fiend posted:

You've got the right idea, but I'd go hotter. Fill those energy hardpoints and go up to 7xML. I usually go with 7xML, 2xSL, 4xMG, 1 ton ammo. The 4xMG keeps the heat manageable, but if you don't have any ++MGs, then the SLs may be better. The idea is 100% kill anything with a single precision strike to the back. More guns means a lower chance of bad rolls taking the kill from you. That said I usually use a coolant flush pilot, but if you're using a MT pilot (and the idea is to get two shots before jumping away), then this may be fine.

That's way too much ammo. I'd go with 4 tons, maximum for the UAC20. Three usually works for me. Add a targeting computer for the UAC20 (the ++TTS that give +3 ballistic accuracy and weigh only one ton are absolutely worth whatever they're selling for on the black market), and 2xML.

Solid. The next time you fight the clans start stocking up on CERPPCs. They are king poo poo of all weapons, period. Start replacing LLs with CERPPCs as you get them.

Ultimately, if you want to go for the higher-skull clan missions, you're going to need clan mechs. A Dire Wolf will completely outclass anything that the AWS can do. A Gladiator will completely outclass anything the Highlander can do. The Orion and GHR can be replaced by Madcats and Glads, depending on pilots/role.

Follow the linked post here for my endgame configs for MADs, DAIs, and GLAs:

Thanks for the advice, I've fixed the orion image if you want to look at it as well.

I may actually have a TTS++ in ballistic, I need to check. I'll see what MGs I've got but I've never really liked them, maybe I need to change my opinion.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

sean10mm posted:

Otherwise I love the extra mobility, even on slow assaults I like to have jump jets to take the edge off how lovely their walking speed is.

I had one mission where somehow I ended up with a mech that literally could not move on the mountain part of a map it was on. After that: jump Jets for everyone.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Carcer posted:

It depends what you're building but full jump jets on the light mechs often means you're sacrificing armor or guns, or both, and will lead to failure.

Thanks for the advice, I've fixed the orion image if you want to look at it as well.

I may actually have a TTS++ in ballistic, I need to check. I'll see what MGs I've got but I've never really liked them, maybe I need to change my opinion.

MGs generate more damage for the tonnage you have to invest in them (this includes heat sinks ... which is 0 for MGs) than any other weapon in the game. They just have extremely short range, scatter their damage, and don't carry a whole lot of damage per hardpoint. There are MG++s in BEX with +2 damage (for 5x5 damage total) and +50% crit, which are really nice. The crit rate on MGs, even baseline MGs, also helps make back shots on CT-ammo mechs (like the ubiquitous longbows) an even more sure thing. One ton of MG ammo gives you 10 shots for 4 MGs, which is perfect, IMO.

I saw the Orion picture. Its a decent config, but what I said still stands. Its going to be outclassed by clan mechs. I also had a brawler Orion that did fine in 5 skull IS drops, but faltered in the more advanced clan drops. Check out the MAD-C config in the post I linked. That was my Orion replacement, and it just wrecks things. Also check out the MAD-S. The MAD-S is extremely rare, but you only need one part from it (plus parts from any other MAD) to build it. Its the only jumping madcat and is, by far, the best 5-jumper in the game. The double-omega final GHR (it replaced my GHR).

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I don't really have a deep interest in Battletech lore (my brain is too filled with all the 2nd Edition Shadowrun sourcebooks), but why is the Clan stuff flat out better by far than the Inner Sphere stuff? Is it just powercreep meant to sell source books or does it have some plausible explanation?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

I don't really have a deep interest in Battletech lore (my brain is too filled with all the 2nd Edition Shadowrun sourcebooks), but why is the Clan stuff flat out better by far than the Inner Sphere stuff? Is it just powercreep meant to sell source books or does it have some plausible explanation?

after the clans had their exodus the rest of the inner sphere fell into a devastating war where they intentionally targeted their enemies' most advanced research and production facilities, so stuff that was cutting edge when the SLDF left was all lost, and so they had to fall back to older technology to keep fighting

meanwhile the clans, although having a much more limited industrial base, had never lost the advanced technology, and had in fact somewhat improved on it in the hundreds of years between them leaving and coming back

it doesnt reaaaally make sense that it would be possible to nuke all that research out of existence in a future society, but battletech was designed in the 80s, before the internet was a major thing and before data was really easy to back up.

the IS catches up when an intact star-league era data cache gets rediscovered in 3028, which is why stuff like LB-X 10s, pulse lasers, extended range PPCs, ECM, gauss rifles and whatnot start to show up again.

where the lore gets really funny is theres like a 50 year gap between UAC/5s and UAC/10s, 20s, etc being made. like it took someone that long to think 'what if UAC/5, but bigger???'.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

The idea is that when the Clans fled out of the Inner Sphere they blew the poo poo out of themselves in a civil war when Alexander Kerensky died, but once Nicholas Kerensky and the Clans took over there was a period of limited warfare where no one was blowing up scientific and industrial assets. They were just trading them back and forth through Trials, which allowed the Clan Scientist Caste to make actual forward progress in technology in the intervening centuries. Meanwhile in the Sphere, the Great Houses nuked the poo poo out of each other and then ComStar started waging a covert war to keep the technology rates declining on the theory that once the Sphere was so far down the ladder they'd have to accept ComStar as their lords and saviors since by then ComStar would be the only ones with high enough tech to get anything done. The discovery and dissemination of the Helm Memory core kicked that plan in the balls since now the Great Houses were able to get back up to Star League levels of tech, and then the arrival of the Clans with even better tech shot the ComStar plan in the back of the head. The Word of Blake secession and the Jihad were the last gasp of the old hardliners trying to just conquer everything instead of waiting for a tech collapse, but that failed too.

after the clans had their exodus the rest of the inner sphere fell into a devastating war where they intentionally targeted their enemies' most advanced research and production facilities, so stuff that was cutting edge when the SLDF left was all lost, and so they had to fall back to older technology to keep fighting

meanwhile the clans, although having a much more limited industrial base, had never lost the advanced technology, and had in fact somewhat improved on it in the hundreds of years between them leaving and coming back

it doesnt reaaaally make sense that it would be possible to nuke all that research out of existence in a future society, but battletech was designed in the 80s, before the internet was a major thing and before data was really easy to back up.

the IS catches up when an intact star-league era data cache gets rediscovered in 3028, which is why stuff like LB-X 10s, pulse lasers, extended range PPCs, ECM, gauss rifles and whatnot start to show up again.

where the lore gets really funny is theres like a 50 year gap between UAC/5s and UAC/10s, 20s, etc being made. like it took someone that long to think 'what if UAC/5, but bigger???'.

It wasn't so much the nukes, though that didn't help, so much as ComStar going around purging databases and murdering promising scientists that did the damage. Especially since ComStar controlled all interstellar communications in the Sphere, it was pretty easy for them to read everyone's mail and figure out where they needed to hit next to do the most harm.

The gap in the tech growth was more about building the proper infrastructure to use the plans in the Memory Core. You could give the USA in World War II the plans to an F-22 and it would still take a while to figure out how to make things like the flight computer and the missile guidance systems. And ComStar was actively trying to sabotage them every step of the way, so that slowed things down even more.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

When the SLDF left the Inner Sphere they took a lot of their scientists with them. Then the Inner Sphere had 4 huge wars and lost a lot of their tech and the means to replicate it (hence, LosTech). Meanwhile the SLDF (now the Clans) while also prone to infighting, made it a point not to actually try to annihilate one another, just dumb skirmishes and honor duels. In that time their scientists not only had the means to replicate SLDF-era tech, but actively improved it.