Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Resident Evil is a dire film. Overall its a middling action horror hybrid that's light on horror and action. Not sure how they pulled that off. Everyone acts like they gotta fart after every sentence. The best part of the film gets cubed in a hallway. I was more interested to see more of his character and disappointed he died. Oh well I liked the actor. James Purefoy is in this but acts like they paid him in rotten fish so there is no charisma there , he doesn't even get his dick out . SO that was a disappointed. Milla Jovovich is loving awful as Alice . Having Amnesia be a major plot point was kind of dumb. As a fan of the games there's nothing here for fans of the games. Which is weird. However there are all kinds of plot contrivances so I guess on a meta level their just like the games. Still the film satisfies a itch of early 2000s industrial rock and violence. Its not as gory as I liked previously which is disappointing that there's not more gore in a zombie movie. Anyway its a decent enough B Movie.

I dunno why I decided to do this but I guess I'm on to the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Resident Evil is a dire film. Overall its a middling action horror hybrid that's light on horror and action. Not sure how they pulled that off. Everyone acts like they gotta fart after every sentence. The best part of the film gets cubed in a hallway. I was more interested to see more of his character and disappointed he died. Oh well I liked the actor. James Purefoy is in this but acts like they paid him in rotten fish so there is no charisma there , he doesn't even get his dick out . SO that was a disappointed. Milla Jovovich is loving awful as Alice . Having Amnesia be a major plot point was kind of dumb. As a fan of the games there's nothing here for fans of the games. Which is weird. However there are all kinds of plot contrivances so I guess on a meta level their just like the games. Still the film satisfies a itch of early 2000s industrial rock and violence. Its not as gory as I liked previously which is disappointing that there's not more gore in a zombie movie. Anyway its a decent enough B Movie.

It’s still just so weird that you have the Resident Evil games which are very much so, based on horror with an emphasis on survival. The first one takes place in essentially an old-school haunted mansion with all sorts of monsters, your character is very vulnerable with limited ammunition, and the whole vibe is all about suspense.

So instead of making an actual horror film, or even a zombie film, they made a very generic action movie with a protagonist that is an invincible Mary-Sue and very little suspense. I know if you made a one to one remake of the game it might feel a bit unoriginal since it was very inspired by horror media but it would certainly be better than what we got. And I even have a bit of a soft spot for the movies (mostly nostalgia for that era) but seems like a missed opportunity.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Friday the 13th's Part V's number-one supporter has now logged into the chat.

I love how with most film franchises, people generally agree on the rankings of the films. However, with Friday, no two rankings are the same. Even though this is mathematically impossible, and at least two people in this world have to have the same rankings, it has never happened before. It is a paradox.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I'm nobody but I used to be a huge RE nerd. I felt RE1 was the "best," and RE2 and especially 3 are the worst. Probably not a coincidence that these were the only movies not directed by Anderson.

I mean, it does make sense Paul WS Anderson was given the reins. Just go look at the MK movie thread, MK 95 is still probably the most beloved video game film ever, or at least way up there, and it was certainly the most beloved one back when RE came out. Anderson's other movie was Event Horizon, another pretty popular film and of course it was Horror. Put his record for success with video game adaptations and horror together and I can see why they chose him.

Also even the worst movies have awesome music so that's nice.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Anyone else having problems with Shudder? Trying to log in from the app just gives the helpful error message 'Something went wrong, try again'. Nothing I've tried has fixed it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

WeaponX posted:

It’s still just so weird that you have the Resident Evil games which are very much so, based on horror with an emphasis on survival. The first one takes place in essentially an old-school haunted mansion with all sorts of monsters, your character is very vulnerable with limited ammunition, and the whole vibe is all about suspense.

So instead of making an actual horror film, or even a zombie film, they made a very generic action movie with a protagonist that is an invincible Mary-Sue and very little suspense. I know if you made a one to one remake of the game it might feel a bit unoriginal since it was very inspired by horror media but it would certainly be better than what we got. And I even have a bit of a soft spot for the movies (mostly nostalgia for that era) but seems like a missed opportunity.

The original George Romero script was an “adaptation” of the first game

https://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/resident_evil_romero.html

This was rejected by the EP of Constantin. George assumed they rejected it because the studio wanted it to be more of a prestige film and less an adaptation. Real reason is it would be too gory for German audiences which Constantin is a German production company.

Read the script to find out why I did the finger quotes on “adaptation”.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

dorium posted:

it would be too gory for German audiences

Olaf Ittenbach blocks your path

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The first 10-15 minutes of RE2 are good as heck and then it goes straight down the toilet

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm finding Resident Evil : Apocalypse more enjoyable than the first film.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Hollismason posted:

It's way more like a Resident Evil movie should be, even if it is dumb as hell.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

which ones the one in the city that one was p good

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

TOOT BOOT posted:

Anyone else having problems with Shudder? Trying to log in from the app just gives the helpful error message 'Something went wrong, try again'. Nothing I've tried has fixed it.

Works fine for me. Maybe try restarting your phone or reinstalling the app?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

which ones the one in the city that one was p good

Apocalypse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmSxy2JKTPw

Anybody watching these movies should also watch the commentaries because they're great.

The lady who played Jill in the movies, Sienna Guillory, took the role so seriously she actually had her brother play RE3 Nemesis so she could study how Jill walked and emulate it in the films. Contrast with Milla's and Oded's (Carlos') commentary where they just laugh at everything.

RE1 had Jovovich, Rodriguez, Anderson. and the main producer guy (I think) all talk in one commentary track and they realized this was a bad idea because Milla and Michelle just wanted to talk about Milla's vag and laugh at everything while Paul and the other guy tried to talk effects and directing. So Apocalypse had, IIRC, three different commentary tracks. Milla, Oded and Guillory were on the same track but not recorded together, she was off on her down being serious while they joked around.

Point being, you get everything you want in the sequel commentaries, one just laughing at the dumb movie or another describing filmmaking.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Dragonshirt posted:

Works fine for me. Maybe try restarting your phone or reinstalling the app?

I had already done all that stuff. I think they fixed something on their end after I opened a ticket because it randomly started working again on all our devices.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

REsident Evil Apocalypse was a step up from the first one. If only because it moved from the very boring corridor's set to a "real " locations of Racoon City. The new characters are also more tolerable. There's also a good amount of gore and I personally really liked the Nemesis design. Its still got a incredibly convoluted plot. The action is a lot better with much better set pieces and sequences. There's also a hilarious scene in a graveyard where I think they break the necks of like 20 zombies. I'm not sure why that move specifically kills zombies but in the Resident Evil universe breaking the neck does. It has a bonkers ending but that's to be epected from these films. Overall I liked it a lot more than the first one if only because it wasn't just constant shots of corridors and boring drab concrete walls.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

who else has joined the sisterhood of the needles so far

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Hell yea Housebound is on shudder. I hope The Pact shows up on there.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

AKZ posted:

Hell yea Housebound is on shudder. I hope The Pact shows up on there.

Both of those are so good. I hope The Pact 2 shows up in the bottom of a well with The Descent 2.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

It did that to me once on desktop when I was about to play a new release days ago, but that was it. I've had the same experience more frequently with HBO Max

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kvlt! posted:

who else has joined the sisterhood of the needles so far

After Gey Muckle Mowser it was Irony.or.Death. Not sure if there were any more.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

i wonder what color Canthan mastery points are gonna be. we’ve done what red-orange, green, blue, purple. maybe they’ll be black or white.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/mjsamps/status/1402662223605084162

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I actually kinda liked that one. Buckle up though because they start getting laugh out loud bad from the third onwards

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CODChimera posted:

I actually kinda liked that one. Buckle up though because they start getting laugh out loud bad from the third onwards

Afterlife (just like game RE4) becomes self-aware and makes fun of itself, a trend followed by all the later movies, which is to their credit compared to Apoc and Extinction.

EDIT:

As an "Alien 1 was the best and only truly great Alien film" person, are Prometheus and Covenant worth watching?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 16, 2021

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

EDIT:

As an "Alien 1 was the best and only truly great Alien film" person, are Prometheus and Covenant worth watching?

I didn't love them, but they're worth watching. I'd rank them below the first two but above everything else

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

I didn't love them, but they're worth watching. I'd rank them below the first two but above everything else

Fair enough, thanks. I see there are these popular "fanedits" called the CHAOS Editions but I guess I should try to watch the regular movies first?

Also, continuing to watch these Kill Count vids, I am reminded of the last horror series I watched, Puppet Master. I stopped around...6 I think because it was so bad but I knew this guy elsewhere who loved FM and B-horror and I learned a lot about them from him. Anyway, glancing at Full Moon's wiki, I learned there's a book on them. Not only is there a book on them, I went to Amazon and learned it was made into an audiobook!
https://www.audible.com/pd/It-Came-...TNFV6AHN10CDSNK

When I have money to spare, I'm definitely getting this. Totally awesome surprise.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm in the Prometheus and Covenant are really good camp. I liked both of those movies David is a loving awesome antagonist.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I'm in the Prometheus and Covenant are really good camp. I liked both of those movies David is a loving awesome antagonist.

David is the protagonist of Prometheus.

e: and arguably Covenant. The whole genocide thing wasn't cool, and killing Shaw was a dick move (and a bad screenwriting decision) but killing a bunch of false-god colonizers who travel with a pervertedly lobotomized version of yourself is an easy spin.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 16, 2021

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Im a weirdo in the Prometheus good, Covenant baaaaaaaad camp. I’m also on the only Alien is good train too so your milage will vary. Opinions! We got em!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Resident Evil Apocalypse is a catalogue of every tired action movie cliche from the preceding decade. Every creative decision is just wrong. I hated it when I first saw it, but I have a perverse appreciation for it now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Prometheus is terrific, Covenent is ambitious but bad. It's my favorite kind of bad, though, which is interesting-bad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't think Covenant is bad but I do think Prometheus is clearly better. Prometheus is a movie I've seen like ten times and I can still watch it and it flies by, whereas Covenant just doesn't flow nearly as well and I get bored with it by the last act.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I'd rather rewatch AVP2 over Covenant.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
The thread makes me want to rewatch every Alien including the AVPs, but I know my spouse will not go for anything AVP.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd be curious to see the correlation between folks who like/dislike the Resident Evil movies and folks' preferences on the Alien franchise. I suspect there would be some pretty clear camps.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Question time - let's dive into the Apocrypha. Which proposed but unmade version of a horror movie do you most wish that you could see?

This question was inspired by recent conversations, as I'd be very curious to watch Alien with its mooted original casting of Meryl Streep as Ripley and Harrison Ford as Dallas.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Question time - let's dive into the Apocrypha. Which proposed but unmade version of a horror movie do you most wish that you could see?

This question was inspired by recent conversations, as I'd be very curious to watch Alien with its mooted original casting of Meryl Streep as Ripley and Harrison Ford as Dallas.

There's another one in the Alien series, the pre-production version of Alien 3 where it was gonna be about technophobic monks living on a world made completely out of wood. Fans have always wanted to see that because obviously Alien 3 turned out to be very divisive.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I'd be curious to see the correlation between folks who like/dislike the Resident Evil movies and folks' preferences on the Alien franchise. I suspect there would be some pretty clear camps.

Greatly dislike the REs I've seen. Not even fun to laugh at.
Love Alien, like Aliens a lot, dislike Alien3, hate Resurection, hold both AVPs in contempt, like Prometheus and Covenant ok

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I recently this year rewatched all of the Alien movies and honestly they range from great to just okay. I like Alien 3 and Ressurection. I'm rewatching RE right now and I'm not finding them that terrible. They're bad but I find them at least watchable and engaging. I'm only 2 films in now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jedit posted:

Rob Zombie's Harold and Maude proposed by Kvlt!