Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

pentyne posted:

They're spending a lot of time on IGN focusing on the different looking hair styles in various images. It definitely looks like there's 2 specific character hairstyles going on, so either Zelda is adding Witcher 3 barber features or there's some character swapping.

It looks to me like the two styles are just Link before and after whatever happened in the cave that hosed up his arm; the shot of the Bokoblins riding the Talos has Link in his BOTW garb with a normal arm, while all the shots of him with the new clothes and hairstyle have the Sheikah Arm or whatever it is. In a few shots you can even see that he still has his blue earrings in this new style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

I guess it'll have to do

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

heard yall are getting your Heavensward

that's cool. game looks cool.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm sure this Zelda will be good because there isn't been a completely terrible mainline Zelda (depending on your opinions of the NES ones). The trailer has so little in it that its not meaningful to make assumptions of narrative or gameplay other than 'based on Breath of the Wild'.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Shiroc posted:

I'm sure this Zelda will be good because there isn't been a completely terrible mainline Zelda (depending on your opinions of the NES ones). The trailer has so little in it that its not meaningful to make assumptions of narrative or gameplay other than 'based on Breath of the Wild'.

Skyward Sword was completely terrible.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ocarina was boring as poo poo. Zelda's always had better side games than mainline at any rate

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bust Rodd posted:

Skyward Sword is in the top 3 Zelda games.

The only terrible one was LBW for everyone who isn't swimming in LttP nostalgia. :colbert:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Bust Rodd posted:

Counterpoint: It wasn't.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So based on the tiny snippets of footage on the ground has anyone been able to work out if the landscape is actually exactly the same? The only bit I recognized was ludfo's bog but that was too distant to tell much from.

It's also sort of funny that after two years of speculation about how they'll add huge underground areas they're adding huge sky areas instead.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Skyward Sword's low on the 3D list for me but I still like it and it has some of the best dungeons. I'm not actually worried about BotW2 because literal worst case is "more BotW" and that's perfectly fine.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Does LBW count as mainline? That game wasn't bad really, but it's very forgettable.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Skyward Sword is on the bottom of 3D titles, Majora's Mask is at the top. Easy as that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

It wasn't terrible it was extremely unmemorable.

I started replaying the game a few years back and realized I had remembered like none of the bosses other then the Demise fights.

Not a great look for a Zelda game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Gaius Marius posted:

Does LBW count as mainline? That game wasn't bad really, but it's very forgettable.

It’s a fine game but it had an uphill battle because of the way it was constantly reminding you of Link to the Past, which was a much better game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've said it before but Link Between Worlds feels like a tech demo for a much better followup on the same engine. The open dungeon order was an interesting experiment but ultimately failed for me because it largely made the progression feel flat and unexciting. Every time I thought the game was finally building to a big late-game dungeon puzzle, it turned out I'd just missed an obvious door or something.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've said it before but Link Between Worlds feels like a tech demo for a much better followup on the same engine. The open dungeon order was an interesting experiment but ultimately failed for me because it largely made the progression feel flat and unexciting. Every time I thought the game was finally building to a big late-game dungeon puzzle, it turned out I'd just missed an obvious door or something.

The item implementation felt like the first time they made the game economy matter. Other then grinding rupees for that one single item in previous games, there's rarely even been a reason to care about cash.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

pentyne posted:

The item implementation felt like the first time they made the game economy matter. Other then grinding rupees for that one single item in previous games, there's rarely even been a reason to care about cash.

Kinda sorta. I see what they were going for but the game's so easy it felt like I got all the items pretty quickly and never really had to think about buying them back, and then that was part of what felt like a lack of long-term progression to the game. I wouldn't be opposed to them trying again but retooling it somehow with more interesting dungeon design.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Zore posted:

The only terrible one was LBW for everyone who isn't swimming in LttP nostalgia. :colbert:

Do portable Zeldas count as mainline games?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Do portable Zeldas count as mainline games?

They do in everything Nintendo's ever released.

Why wouldn't they?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Zore posted:

I dislike LttP and liked LBW a lot

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Every Zelda is mainline except your favourite one. Including the Tingle games.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

I keep going back-and-forth on the Skyward Sword remake. This is basically the situation as I have a Wii copy: If I don't buy the remake, I can guarantee that I will never play SS because I really don't like motion controls. If I do buy the remake, I will very possibly never play that simply because of my huge RPG backlog. It's a quandary.

==================================================

As for BotW2, it looks about what I expected. I adored the first one and I knew that the sequel will be more of the same. I am noticing a pattern with a lot of AAA franchises where a revolutionary title is followed by a (relatively) low-effort 'same poo poo, new hat' sequel to squeeze out more money. Granted, it's very hard to reinvent the wheel with every new title, but I think that it's deliberate and part of the strategy of 'How long can we milk this to make maximum profit before we have to be clever again?' Resident Evil has been like this for years: RE4 comes out, changes the formula, everyone loves it, and it's ported to every imaginable platform. 5 comes out and is basically the same but not as good. 6 was utter rubbish. 7 comes out and revitalises the series, then 8/Village is the same thing in the same engine but not as good. Similarly, the RE2 remake was excellent with lots of content, then the RE3 remake was more of the same with no innovation and much less content yet somehow the same price.

This stuff is done to maximize profit, not user enjoyment. :capitalism:

Also I'm sorry but Village is better than 7.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Nintendo trying out the flat progression Zeldas, either the Link Between Worlds or Breath of the Wind ways, felt like an inelegant response to the feedback that dungeon items were not useful outside of their originating dungeon. I think I still personally preferred the old way because I like dungeons slowly building up complexity of puzzles and having unique visual themes. Every single shrine in BotW being the same visuals over and over got super dull.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I bought all the items in LBW by the time I got the Master Sword and then rupees just piled up in my wallet like usual so I have no idea what the gently caress people are talking about when they say that LBW "made rupees matter" or whatever. I guess if you suck and die a lot and have to rerent everything then yeah.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you know you can like really buy the items in LBW right and they cost 10x as much as renting which is the real money sink of that game

and before you ask what the point of that is if you never die, you can then upgrade the items at mother maimai

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

You realize the Sand Rod isn't available to rent at the start of the game, right? The Sand Rod is taken by one of the sages and you can't even rent it until you've been to Lorule and saved him. Even if you have everything rented by the time Ravio starts selling items, you'd still have to go back for the Sand Rod and you'd find out about being able to purchase items. It's impossible to finish the game without finding out that Ravio lets you buy things rather than just renting them. And that's not even taking into account the Mother Maimai straight up says "I can only power up items you completely own" is a big hint to the player that you can do more than rent stuff.

Buying items isn't that big of a money sink. I guess if you ignore chests and don't explore the overworld and just shoot straight for every dungeon and ignore anything in them that isn't a key to progress then rupees might have value but the game throws so many at you if you just take time and explore that you can have everything incredibly early on and rupees become valueless again.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Therapist: Breath of the Wild isn’t real and you can’t make it real.

The Universe:

https://twitter.com/latestinspace/status/1404165966725066756?s=20

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Therapist: Breath of the Wild isn’t real and you can’t make it real.

The Universe:

https://twitter.com/latestinspace/status/1404165966725066756?s=20

Too bad it clipped into the side of mountain and disappeared when scientists got near it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
All Zeldas are good. Except the CD-I ones…and Spirit Tracks…and Adventure of Link, mostly…

But that’s still a great track record! What a world where the Zelda thread has people making GBS threads on Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past. Skyward Sword definitely has problems, but it still has some of the best dungeons and characters in the series, too.

Also, I 100% prefer that they made a direct BotW sequel using much of the same assets and engine rather than having to wait another three or four years for a completely new game. BotW was an incredible experience and I’m now ready for its version of Majora’s Mask: same engine, but let’s go nuts with it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

LttP is good lol, it just doesn't grab me like nearly every other 2D zelda (including 1) for whatever reason.

spirit tracks is also good unless you're in a moving vehicle and it becomes unplayable whenever they want mic usage

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Too bad it clipped into the side of mountain and disappeared when scientists got near it.
:lol:

Skyward Sword was fine. I found it much more charming than most of the others, even if the sprint mechanic loving sucked and "you lost all your items and have to sneak around" has been terrible in every Zelda game it's been in. The controls are perfectly manageable once you get used to them, too.

LBW is downright delightful.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I like that the Bokoblins painted a happy face on the wood protecting the talos’ weak spot.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Breath of the Wild is by far my least liked of the 3D ones but I'm curious what a sequel can offer that might improve from the base set by it.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

The breakdown and analysis of Breath of the Wild's sequel is so good; almost to biblical proportions. I didn't notice half this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ub2UyoZNzM

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Nanigans posted:

All Zeldas are good. Except the CD-I ones…and Spirit Tracks…and Adventure of Link, mostly…

Most of Zelda II is good! Until you have to go to the Great Palace and you have to fight waves upon waves of rear end in a top hat axe throwing lizards. Then it becomes bad.

quote:

But that’s still a great track record! What a world where the Zelda thread has people making GBS threads on Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past.

Link to the Past is one of my favorite Zelda games but I can understand why some people don't like it. One big problem it has is that as an early SNES game it wasn't able to take advantage of the system like some of the very late games did, you have stuff like all the dungeons looking very same-y because they're all forced to use the same tileset due to all the dungeons actually being one gigantic dungeon (which is why you can warp around to different ones if you clip through walls). The Dark World dungeon theme is kinda lame too, and Ganon's Tower doesn't even get its own music track, it just reuses it. LttP also has weird things like one of the last bosses in the game requiring you to have gotten an item in a random cave on the overworld that people who are more familiar with later "Use dungeon item on boss" Zelda games would probably get annoyed by.

I loving love it, but like, I get how the game would be mostly uninspiring and maybe even bland to someone who had the N64 be their childhood video game system.

OoT though, I don't understand the making GBS threads on that. Yeah it's kinda ugly by today's standards since it was an early N64 title, and yeah it's basically just LttP in 3D (and with less dungeons), but it's a legitimately good game even if I feel it maybe gets a bit overrated.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

I just remembered stepping out of the cave and into Hyrule for the first time, looking towards that flying Guardian and thinking “man, did they put a city in the sky? That’s awesome” and was a little disappointed it wasn’t a flying Rito city, but now it seems they actually did.

Also BotW is best Zelda
Ocarina
Majora
WW
TP
Link’s Awakening
Skyward Sword

Haven’t played the rest in full.
Skyward Sword was alright but way too much hand-holding.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Good Sphere posted:

The breakdown and analysis of Breath of the Wild's sequel is so good; almost to biblical proportions. I didn't notice half this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ub2UyoZNzM

Very cool stuff

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Nanigans posted:

Also, I 100% prefer that they made a direct BotW sequel using much of the same assets and engine rather than having to wait another three or four years for a completely new game. BotW was an incredible experience and I’m now ready for its version of Majora’s Mask: same engine, but let’s go nuts with it.

I hate to say it, but it's already been four years, and by the 2022 release date it will have been well over five.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DanielCross posted:

I hate to say it, but it's already been four years, and by the 2022 release date it will have been well over five.

Yeah I don't begrudge Nintendo reusing some assets and the map (assuming that's what they've done) but even accounting for Covid the development cycle has been basically the same as any other massive scope open world game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

stev posted:

Yeah I don't begrudge Nintendo reusing some assets and the map (assuming that's what they've done) but even accounting for Covid the development cycle has been basically the same as any other massive scope open world game.

expectations etc are getting higher each time, development times increase.

RDR 2: 8 years
TES 6: 10 years (and counting, no date yet)
GTA 6: 10 years (rumoured 2023, gta 5 came out in 2013)

BotW had to run on the Wii U, BotW2 can make full use of the Switch's better hardware, so that takes more time. Plus they seem to be adding a lot of new features, rather than rushing a sequel that is more of the same.
Obviously it's hard to tell at this point how many changes have been made, but I don't think Nintendo can afford to rush out a poor game and risk the reputation of the Zelda franchise.