Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wait, why is Snout wearing different clothes in the new strips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
"Whoa, don't actually go and help this devastated war torn nation, just send them some food and sympathy cards and stuff!"

TheHan posted:

“The law says I’m just an innocent victim of my nature! A nature I willingly brought upon myself! In the pursuit of power!”

Yeah this makes no sense. "Your actions are excused if you're a victim of your nature" beyond being like, incredibly racist, should really only apply if it's something you were born as, something you can't help being. But since he said "Hell yeah turn me into a hosed up magical creature" that shouldn't apply.

He could be a victim if he was forced to undergo it against his will, which would mean Miranda is the one who should be held liable, since she's the one who turned him into what he is. Hell, even if it wasn't against his will, she's still accountable since she decided that it was cool to turn a person into a hosed up magical creature! She's ultimately responsible for anything he does as a result of what the process did to him!

Oh wait, that'd be holding a Deegan responsible for their own actions, poo poo, I forgot we can't have that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The loving evil teeth, man.

the teeth. It's so goddamn lazy.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
Are we still doing the "what photo did Mookie trace from this time" thing? Cause I'd swear I've seen that cliff city before.

Al Hajjara in Yemen, maybe?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
See from close-up it looks better.

But also, Snout's expression, he is the most punchable character I have ever seen, my God stop overacting

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I still had a faint glimmer of hope that the giant walls signalled some kind of imminent potential danger, like at night the plains flooded, or swarmed with carnivorous radishes. Anything that might make things interesting. But nope, it's orcish land zoning restrictions.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

The fact that he felt the need to justify and explain the wall makes it really feel like he's reading this thread.

Any bets on whether or not this explanatory Wikipedia entry nailed to the wall is ever going to be plot relevant?

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

That's really handy way to mark borders, not like stones or poles just a massive wall. Wonder if there's going to be some real reason for the wall now?
Its also funny to compare the original Snout to the kawai version that he's now.

Especially that lower middle panel.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

oriongates posted:

The fact that he felt the need to justify and explain the wall makes it really feel like he's reading this thread.

I mean other than us, is there anyone on the entire Internet discussing this comic?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

oriongates posted:

Any bets on whether or not this explanatory Wikipedia entry nailed to the wall is ever going to be plot relevant?

nah he prepares the week's pages all at once and uploads them all on the weekend

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I mean other than us, is there anyone on the entire Internet discussing this comic?

we are the deegan fans

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Honestly, yeah. I'm not a fan of Mookie but I suppose I would say I'm a fan of Dominic Deegan. I enjoyed reading the old comic and I enjoy the new one, too. It's terrible but in a supremely fascinating and unique way. I still say it's the nadir of human creative endeavor and it's fascinating as gently caress.

I hope, unironically, that Mookie never stops making comics. His comics have brought me hours and hours of enjoyment. Not for any of the reasons he tries but still.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Mx. posted:

nah he prepares the week's pages all at once and uploads them all on the weekend

That almost makes it worse...because that means he somehow twigged to the fact that "oh hey, this city design is really unnaturally hemmed in and the wall seems kind of out of place in this fairly peaceful culture I've laid out." and his solution was "I'll put a post-it note on the wall, explaining that it's all on purpose" rather than "I'll change the design."

That sliver of self-awareness just makes it more infuriating.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Snout's facial proportions in the 2nd and 4th panels look completely different lmao

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Maxwell Lord posted:

But also, Snout's expression, he is the most punchable character I have ever seen, my God stop overacting
ORB DRIVER SUCKED ME OFF??

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Honestly, yeah. I'm not a fan of Mookie but I suppose I would say I'm a fan of Dominic Deegan. I enjoyed reading the old comic and I enjoy the new one, too. It's terrible but in a supremely fascinating and unique way. I still say it's the nadir of human creative endeavor and it's fascinating as gently caress.

I hope, unironically, that Mookie never stops making comics. His comics have brought me hours and hours of enjoyment. Not for any of the reasons he tries but still.

Yeah the legacy may be bogged down by weeks upon weeks of go nowhere pages but when it hits it loving hits. After telling us over and over again how Snout’s virtue is his compassion Snout completely ignores what his corpsemomwife is going through to go feel sorry for himself. And they’re still ignoring her! All anyone cares about now is taking Snout to the library, we don’t even know corpsemomwife’s name. The unstoppable honesty of Dominic Deegan characters is one of my favorite things about it.

Sure they’ll act all holier than thou to the villains, but then Mookie will slip in a scene where Dominic calls himself an orc nerd. Like they’re toys to him and not a race of people. Or he’ll have Luna make lovely jokes about Melna’s trauma. He just can’t help but show us how these characters really feel and it’s amazing to watch play out.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Something I've noticed about Legacy is that reading it often puts you in a state of quantum fuckups...

You know that Mookie's plot is going somewhere stupid, but you're given so little information and what information you get is so badly delivered that you have no idea what to expect in many cases. It's like schrodinger's cat.

Like...something will happen that dramatically recontextualizes previous events, but it's always for the worst. Like, I joked back at Arudak's library about Thelonious stealing Snout's library card. But I didn't think that was what we were meant to think happened. I assumed that Mookie had just skipped over the part where snout gets his card back in a very clumsy way.

But now, we're past there and into a chapter called, ominously, the Library Card. And that means that we are currently pulled between two horribly stupid possibilities: either Mookie had absolutely nothing for Theloneous to do, making his presence completely and utterly pointless...or he created a black male character and made is only contribution to the plot robbing Snout. I genuinely don't know which way the coin will fall.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Schrödinger's Crap

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
I like how the ship apparently can't land but instead conveniently drops you 20 feet off the ground in a splatter of ink.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

ScienceSeagull posted:

I like how the ship apparently can't land but instead conveniently drops you 20 feet off the ground in a splatter of ink.

It's extra funny because we've seen her dispel it before, so we know full well that it's a magical ink construct and not a permanent vehicle.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

where do they grow all of their food mookie

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

ScienceSeagull posted:

If it has passengers on board and gets closer to the ground than five meters, it automatically crashes.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

How does he not realize that it looks like the ship is having a messy poo poo?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

TheHan posted:

Yeah the legacy may be bogged down by weeks upon weeks of go nowhere pages but when it hits it loving hits. After telling us over and over again how Snout’s virtue is his compassion Snout completely ignores what his corpsemomwife is going through to go feel sorry for himself. And they’re still ignoring her! All anyone cares about now is taking Snout to the library, we don’t even know corpsemomwife’s name. The unstoppable honesty of Dominic Deegan characters is one of my favorite things about it.

Sure they’ll act all holier than thou to the villains, but then Mookie will slip in a scene where Dominic calls himself an orc nerd. Like they’re toys to him and not a race of people. Or he’ll have Luna make lovely jokes about Melna’s trauma. He just can’t help but show us how these characters really feel and it’s amazing to watch play out.

It's easy to be polite when you know you're the main character so you'll always get your way.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Where does it even go after it craps them out? I guess she just leaves it flying around.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Obviously the sentient vegetables walk right up to them, duh.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Fister Roboto posted:

Mookie believes "herbivores" means "foragers" which is something that absolutely couldn't sustain a city.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

oriongates posted:

How does he not realize that it looks like the ship is having a messy poo poo?

I'm beginning to turn around on mookie's ability for visual storytelling, because I can definitely hear the ship letting a big wet fart rip in my mind when I see that.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
They flew over fields on the way to Arudak's place, so there is farmland, just not immediately surrounding the city for some reason.

Convenient that this sign is in both languages, unlike all those other signs and plaques back in the middle of that empty field.

It's funny that the shamans negotiated that the land should provide based on the physical borders of their cities rather than their population.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Nobody invented skyscrapers yet, I guess.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Emrikol posted:

It's funny that the shamans negotiated that the land should provide based on the physical borders of their cities rather than their population.

I might've been genuinely impressed if the orcs had built themselves a fantasy arcology.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

oriongates posted:

Something I've noticed about Legacy is that reading it often puts you in a state of quantum fuckups...

You know that Mookie's plot is going somewhere stupid, but you're given so little information and what information you get is so badly delivered that you have no idea what to expect in many cases. It's like schrodinger's cat.

Like...something will happen that dramatically recontextualizes previous events, but it's always for the worst. Like, I joked back at Arudak's library about Thelonious stealing Snout's library card. But I didn't think that was what we were meant to think happened. I assumed that Mookie had just skipped over the part where snout gets his card back in a very clumsy way.

But now, we're past there and into a chapter called, ominously, the Library Card. And that means that we are currently pulled between two horribly stupid possibilities: either Mookie had absolutely nothing for Theloneous to do, making his presence completely and utterly pointless...or he created a black male character and made is only contribution to the plot robbing Snout. I genuinely don't know which way the coin will fall.

Why not both? He forgot to give Thelonious rear end to do, someone pointed that out to him and he's hastily added library card theft into the plot.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I really hate Mookie's lazy indigenous noble savage cliches.

These are the orcs that he both presents as more in tune with nature, and also brutal and patriarchical, in the original run, essentially mapping the dual, contradictory picture western though adopted for indigenous groups in the 20th century. More pure, but less civilized.

So of course, when social progress has happened for the orcs, they develop an essentially western society, with big cities and farms and academic circles and the rest, only "in harmony with nature". It's lazy as gently caress, and it reduces indigenous (and in particular, North American Indigenous, which the orcs are obviously based on) beliefs into a sort of passive, almost infantile relationship with their environment, which if you ever spend time studying indigenous cultures you realize is anything but the case. It's this vision of nature "just providing" that is so saccharine and false. And it still accepts western markers as the signs of civilization.

There's also the ominous anticpation of whatever will happen with the Seku Muat, the orc seperatists Snout learned about that apparently Arudak's girlfriend is related to? Just like with the Shintula, any time Mookie writes about orc supremacists, all I can do is cringe.

Also, I didn't think about this at the time, but what were those orcs fishing for? Since they're herbivores?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Beelzebufo posted:

Also, I didn't think about this at the time, but what were those orcs fishing for? Since they're herbivores?

I've definitely caught weeds while fishing, but not on purpose, and not efficiently.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Beelzebufo posted:

They don't eat the fish, they just love the sport. Hooking a small critter in the face and throwing it back in the water.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Beelzebufo posted:

Aquatic plant monsters. They still hunt and stuff, it's just a "plant" instead of an "animal" that they chase down and stab with a spear.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

oriongates posted:

They don't eat the fish, they just love the sport. Hooking a small critter in the face and throwing it back in the water.

Zereth posted:

Aquatic plant monsters. They still hunt and stuff, it's just a "plant" instead of an "animal" that they chase down and stab with a spear.

Congratulations. You've now spent more time thinking about it than Mookie has.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I was just assuming that the things he established that apply to land animals :airquote: "plants" apply to water ones too.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Howard Beale posted:

Congratulations. You've now spent more time thinking about it than Mookie has.

They actually haven't, it was a whole thing that orcs are herbivores but some of the things they eat are plant creatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It wasn't established that there were plant fish/plant aquatic lifeforms though.

Mookie just traced a photo of people fishing because he didn't stop to think why orcs, who are herbivores, would be fishing. If anyone asked him about it then yeah, he'd just say "Well just like there's sentient plant creatures on land there's some in the water too" but I would bet anything that he literally did not think about it when he traced it.