Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well I finally beat him with Assassin Board and a lot of luck.

I'm still missing three units somewhere in Chapter 1. I don't think this matters for any trophies but I'm curious where they are. I haven't found a list anywhere, does anyone know one?

E: Found two in a shop. The one I'm missing is Officer Barracks.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

amigolupus posted:

The only thing I liked in DoC was the opening intro where there's a huge festival in Kalm because people have finally got the internet back and running.

That part aged exceptionally well.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Tosk posted:

I absolutely loved DoC as a goofy teenager high off discovering JRPGs a few years before. I was very into how over the top everything was, from the character designs to the plot and music, and probably played through the game like three times. I also used to eat up AMVs of Crisis Core cutscenes set to Breaking Benjamin music (I was destined for goonhood). Discovering retroactively how awful it was many years later was quite a thing.

My wife and I just remembered AMVs recently and have been going down YouTube rabbit holes where we excavate amateur videos of extremely emotional anime scenes set to various emo and screamo songs, all in glorious 480p. It's been quite the trip down memory lane.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wait...I seriously can’t play Intermission unless I get a PS5? A PS5 that is currently loving impossible to get? Are you loving serious?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

NieR Occomata posted:

Wait...I seriously can’t play Intermission unless I get a PS5? A PS5 that is currently loving impossible to get? Are you loving serious?

Hello other me

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This would be an okay thing if either 1) it was flatly free or 2) this was messaged at all well instead of buried in their bullshit marketing. But they did neither. They have talked up this loving dlc for months and endlessly sold it while being as opaque as possible on how to obtain it, to the point I had to look up a fuckin’ Eurogamer article to find out that this is PS5 version exclusive.

This is a fuckin’ slap in the face. Don’t message and endlessly market this dlc without making it crystal loving clear you need a console that is currently being scalped endlessly at twice to three times its MSRP, especially when as far as I can tell this is literally the only situation period where this is happening. There is, to my knowledge, no other split generation game in existence where significant content is exclusive to one version of the game and not the other. I cannot think of one. This is it; not even Sony first party games pulled this horseshit.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 16, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
This isn't a 'slap in the face', it's a console exclusive. They suck, but it's not a personal affront. They didn't take your money and then tell you that you don't get the DLC.

Like, it's a dumb decision on their part of only because it's not like PS5 sales are waning, but they're not trying to actively spit on people who couldn't get one.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Yuffie not having to shimmy through tight gaps clearly was something not doable on PS4.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

doos posted:

That final third of Dirge gets so absurdly stupid that I kinda love it.

OK yup it really does. I was enjoying the basic plot beats until the final third when everything turns into a giant mess.

Hard to say if playing through it was worth it, but at least it was only 10 hours long.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

NieR Occomata posted:

This would be an okay thing if either 1) it was flatly free or 2) this was messaged at all well instead of buried in their bullshit marketing. But they did neither. They have talked up this loving dlc for months and endlessly sold it while being as opaque as possible on how to obtain it, to the point I had to look up a fuckin’ Eurogamer article to find out that this is PS5 version exclusive.

This is a fuckin’ slap in the face. Don’t message and endlessly market this dlc without making it crystal loving clear you need a console that is currently being scalped endlessly at twice to three times its MSRP, especially when as far as I can tell this is literally the only situation period where this is happening. There is, to my knowledge, no other split generation game in existence where significant content is exclusive to one version of the game and not the other. I cannot think of one. This is it; not even Sony first party games pulled this horseshit.

It’s a video game

Also they said when it was announced it was PS5 only and that’s never been obfuscated at all

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Arkage posted:

OK yup it really does. I was enjoying the basic plot beats until the final third when everything turns into a giant mess.

Hard to say if playing through it was worth it, but at least it was only 10 hours long.

Gotta love how they spend the whole game building up Hojo and then immediately throw him away as a villain.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Gotta love how they spend the whole game building up Hojo and then immediately throw him away as a villain.

They actually build up Weiss as a villain, then do "Hojo is in control!" as a twist so it was Hojo behind everything in the game, then immediately have Weiss overpower him and become the villain again, and then Weiss just carries on with what was Hojo's plan.

It's really dumb. Vincent, assuming he was in your party when you fight Hojo in OG FFVII, actually got his vengeance there more than in DOC.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

NieR Occomata posted:

Breathe a little. It's only a game. You're getting mad over this poo poo meanwhile I'm worried about my job security because of the global chip shortage.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

They actually build up Weiss as a villain, then do "Hojo is in control!" as a twist so it was Hojo behind everything in the game, then immediately have Weiss overpower him and become the villain again, and then Weiss just carries on with what was Hojo's plan.

It's really dumb. Vincent, assuming he was in your party when you fight Hojo in OG FFVII, actually got his vengeance there more than in DOC.

I just find it weird that the game has Hojo in shadow until, like, the penultimate boss like people aren't going to know who this rear end in a top hat is. Even though they keep expecting you to know who this rear end in a top hat is. And then the aforementioned overpowering happens and it just feels entirely pointless.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's always console shortages at launch, but no-one knew quite how bad it would be this time, least of all Square Enix. Also, as bad as scalpers and shortages have been, there are literal millions of people with PS5s out there. The shortages suck, but they can't put off releasing games until everyone has a console. And the series is clearly going full PS5 now, so why wait, especially when they don't have to design around long loading times? Most people buying a PS5 probably already have a PS4 (or bought one for this game), and if they weren't willing to buy a PS4 for this one game/series, they aren't likely to do it for a PS5 either.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 16, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Iacen posted:

Yuffie not having to shimmy through tight gaps clearly was something not doable on PS4.

I think this is actually relevant: the DLC sequence is designed to be playable on PS5 and could not be easily backported to PS4.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I mean, yes to all that, but also, it's okay to be annoyed that some of us can't play the DLC not because we don't want to but because we've been trying to get a PS5 for months and have been unsuccessful.

e: Not like "this is a slap in the face!" annoyed; that's clearly ridiculous but like... it'd be nice for content to come out on a platform that if I want it I can just go to a store or online or whatever and buy it.

Ace Transmuter fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 16, 2021

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Yosuke Matsuda came to my house and spit on my face and called me a 'peasant' and on the way out he drank my last Mountain Dew(TM) Game Fuel(R) and threw the can up on my roof and now it's in the rain gutter.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Ace Transmuter posted:

I mean, yes to all that, but also, it's okay to be annoyed that some of us can't play the DLC not because we don't want to but because we've been trying to get a PS5 for months and have been unsuccessful.

e: Not like "this is a slap in the face!" annoyed; that's clearly ridiculous but like... it'd be nice for content to come out on a platform that if I want it I can just go to a store or online or whatever and buy it.

I suppose the lukewarm news is that Yuffie's DLC is locked to PS5, but only for 6 months. So they might do a PS4 or PC release at some point.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s a video game

Also they said when it was announced it was PS5 only and that’s never been obfuscated at all

I had to look up a Eurogamer article that actually finally confirmed it in plain black and white. The news about Intermission is buried at the bottom of the FF7R Intergrade website, in the FAQ section. It’s not messaged in their marketing, videos, or promotional materials. By nature of being a nerd on a video game forum on the internet, I am far more knowledgeable and attuned than the average person who plays video games, and if you were to ask me until literally yesterday I would’ve told you that Intermission is twenty dollar dlc for the game that anyone can buy and play, as evidenced by me spending a half hour trying to find the DLC I know exists, because it was marketed to me endlessly, on the PS Store. This was opaquely communicated as hell, because if a total fuckin’ nerd like me had literally no idea about this content being PS5 exclusive why would you ever expect someone who only played the game when it came out and wants to play the game they’re constantly seeing videos about to know the intricacies of the differences between Squares dumb upgrade rollout plan.

And again, and the point everyone is missing: this was done not because of system limitations (if any description of what is actually in the dlc and the amount of reused assets has any weight; clearly, I haven’t actually played it but from every review I’ve read and description I’ve seen this was content clearly built off the engine that was already extant).

It was done because Sony specifically paid SE a bunch of money to make this content not only console, but generationally exclusive, a practice I have literally never seen done. I have never, ever seen a company release dlc content for one generation of a game and not the other, and certainly not this gen split, which has already had probably the most split-gen games ever. And it makes the obfuscation and the poor communication therefore suspect because Square has therefore no inclination to actually make it clear that this clearly financially motivated decision on their part exists; they want everyone to want this content, this not free PS5 content,
Until either the exclusivity window ends and they magically are able to backport it or everyone has a PS5 and the point is moot anyways, whichever comes first.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Breathe a little. It's only a game. You're getting mad over this poo poo meanwhile I'm worried about my job security because of the global chip shortage.

I work for a vaccine site. My job is guaranteed to end in two weeks. Don’t play that high-road card with me; I’m allowed to be mad at deceptive, intentionally poorly communicated, and clearly financially motivated anti-consumer practices.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 16, 2021

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Clarste posted:

I think this is actually relevant: the DLC sequence is designed to be playable on PS5 and could not be easily backported to PS4.

Was only half kidding, it could be exactly that. Even button presses, which takes Cloud a long time to do, are snappy. And I’m sure those lengthy animations was to hide loading.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

NieR Occomata posted:

I had to look up a Eurogamer article that actually finally confirmed it in plain black and white. The news about Intermission is buried at the bottom of the FF7R Intergrade website, in the FAQ section. It’s not messaged in their marketing, videos, or promotional materials. By nature of being a nerd on a video game forum on the internet, I am far more knowledgeable and attuned than the average person who plays video games, and if you were to ask me until literally yesterday I would’ve told you that Intermission is twenty dollar dlc for the game that anyone can buy and play, as evidenced by me spending a half hour trying to find the DLC I know exists, because it was marketed to me endlessly, on the PS Store. This was opaquely communicated as hell, because if a total fuckin’ nerd like me had literally no idea about this content being PS5 exclusive why would you ever expect someone who only played the game when it came out and wants to play the game they’re constantly seeing videos about to know the intricacies of the differences between Squares dumb upgrade rollout plan.

And again, and the point everyone is missing: this was done not because of system limitations (if any description of what is actually in the dlc and the amount of reused assets has any weight; clearly, I haven’t actually played it but from every review I’ve read and description I’ve seen this was content clearly built off the engine that was already extant).

It was done because Sony specifically paid SE a bunch of money to make this content not only console, but generationally exclusive, a practice I have literally never seen done. I have never, ever seen a company release dlc content for one generation of a game and not the other, and certainly not this gen split, which has already had probably the most split-gen games ever. And it makes the obfuscation and the poor communication therefore suspect because Square has therefore no inclination to actually make it clear that this clearly financially motivated decision on their part exists; they want everyone to want this content, this not free PS5 content,
Until either the exclusivity window ends and they magically are able to backport it or everyone has a PS5 and the point is moot anyways, whichever comes first.

I work for a vaccine site. My job is guaranteed to end in two weeks. Don’t play that high-road card with me; I’m allowed to be mad at deceptive, intentionally poorly communicated, and clearly financially motivated anti-consumer practices.

I barely paid any attention to this coming out and I knew it was PS5 only for Integrade. You're being really, really weird.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

NieR Occomata posted:

It was though, because the PS4 version was masking a ton of loading through the construction of the world, which Intermission doesn't do. Backporting to PS4 isn't possible, because either they have to go to a lot of effort to remake the world with a ton of slow shimmying or long, featureless corridors added in, or have the game just slam to a halt and cut to 40+ second load times at frequent intervals.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

This page is starting to remind me of that incredibly goony 'review' that accused Squeenix of making the ending the way it was to spite fans.

anakha fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 16, 2021

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an rear end in a top hat. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFVII Remake for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel Intermission for the PS5 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

anakha posted:

This page is starting to remind me of that incredibly goony 'review' that accused Squeenix of making the ending the way it was to spite fans.

Goons own.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

NieR Occomata posted:

You seem to be under the impression that it was ever advertised as being DLC. It’s not, it’s a new story section for the PS5 edition of the game, which is what “Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade” is.

It actually only exists as ‘DLC’ for people who are upgrading to the PS5 version from a PS4 copy of the game, because Square Enix gots to get paid at least a little bit I guess.

https://mobile.twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1365067252865900544

Here’s the announcement tweet from February, including the announcement trailer.

It’s pretty clear from both that this is for PS5. There’s no mention of PS4, no PS4 logos anywhere.

https://mobile.twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1365377103873605648

Here’s a tweet from February with a link to an FAQ about the game.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210227004404/https://ffvii-remake-intergrade.square-enix-games.com/en-gb/

Here’s an archived copy of that FAQ page as it appeared when it was tweeted. Also notice no mention of PS4, no PS4 logos anywhere.

Neither Square Enix nor Sony ever said anything to suggest any of it would be available for PS4 - that was invented whole cloth inside your own mind, and you have nobody to blame for your disappointment but yourself. Quit being so weird about it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think the "INTERgrade" and "INTERmission" names add needlessly to the confusion.

I keep wanting to call the thing "Chapter Yuffie"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an rear end in a top hat. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFVII Remake for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel Intermission for the PS5 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Lol what the gently caress.

Anyway they weren't being 'deceptive' and I don't know what you think they'd have to gain by doing so. First, you can't buy the dlc if you don't have a ps5 so it's not like they're trying to scam you. Second, they literally gave away ff7r for psplus members.

Like, it's stupid and I think they're losing money as a result (well, except for the money Sony is probably giving them), but they're not rubbing their hands together thinking about how much they're scamming gamers.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Another interesting thing I gleaned from DoC is how sometimes it really feels like the precursor to FF7R as far as cutscenes go (nowithstanding the absurd final battle cutscene). I.E. Yuffie behaves, speaks, acts, and is choreographed in very similar ways between DoC and the Yuffie DLC. And thinking about it, her moogle outfit in the DLC is directly lifted from DoC afaik, which was likely the biggest giveaway that Deepground would be involved to some extent.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Morpheus posted:

Lol what the gently caress.

Anyway they weren't being 'deceptive' and I don't know what you think they'd have to gain by doing so. First, you can't buy the dlc if you don't have a ps5 so it's not like they're trying to scam you. Second, they literally gave away ff7r for psplus members.

Like, it's stupid and I think they're losing money as a result (well, except for the money Sony is probably giving them), but they're not rubbing their hands together thinking about how much they're scamming gamers.

I'm almost positive they were taking the piss.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

:ssh:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Saint Freak posted:

I can’t tell if this is ironic or

e: it is, my brain mercifully erased the original

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 16, 2021

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Saint Freak posted:

It kinda says something that I completely forgot where this originally came from and thought it was a direct quote of someone talking about the FFVII-R ending last year.

Honestly there are actual interesting observations to make about the times at which the format change kinda forced alterations to the story and how (or whether) that differs from the writers making a conscious decision to take a particular creative direction with the adaptation, but lord does it take some effort sometimes to surgically separate this discourse from weird gamer brand loyalty/entitlement bullshit.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I cannot describe to how bad it felt to copy that quote and realize it was 13 years old.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Has it really been 13 years since Final Fantasy 13?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man FF13 was so drat good

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Wait, that rings a bell now - wasn't that someone going ballistic about FFXIII going multi platform? It sure is great that Playstation fans don't do that anymore!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It was a GAF thing and it was done ironically. Ever read the Dwarf Fortress LP Bravemule? The person who did that trolled on GAF back in The Day.

Then they tried to come forward years later and no one believed them like some bizarre meme version of Cassandra's curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Man, you gotta cite your quotes. Between this and the switch thread absolutely melting down about Metroid Dread being 2d, it's becoming real hard to tell parody apart from reality