Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think it's actually possible, and I suspect that it was actually a joke that was made just barely plausible enough that it wouldn't get voted down by HN posters. It's almost more like a YOSPOSer making fun of HN (okay, fess up whoever did it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that was reposted to Twitter and there were some extremely angry managers so it was a very successful troll

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
docmars 1 day ago

How is this a conspiracy theory? Why jump to that conclusion about this person's perfectly reasonable statement and hypothesis?
Stories of children either passing out or dying because they were required to wear masks during track outdoors. Or hell, walking my normal pace (quite fast), I breathe pretty heavily and the amount of oxygen my body takes in with a mask is markedly reduced versus when I'm not wearing one. It is a stark difference, and one I hope I never have to experience again due to disproportionate government and private business mandates rooted in paranoia around the most absurdly low risk levels for the majority of age groups.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if this guy finds himself short of breath from a brisk walk, i suspect he's not quite as "low-risk category" as he thinks

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I suspect that these hners mistake "hot air coming back into their mouth" as "breathing the same air back"

I went out with a jacket and the weather turned blisteringly hot, as an asthmatic the mask didn't impair my breathing but I did notice as the sun beat down on me, and the heat on my face and presumably in my lungs just increased breath after breath. Kept having to stop and I'm pretty sure I ended up with mild heat exhaustion afterwards. Didn't want to take it off because apparently most people have decided that when walking between shops they can take it off :negative:

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 13, 2021

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

omega3 1 hour ago [–]

Unpopular opinion but I'm yet to hear a convincing argument that the reduction of suffering is something that we should strive for.
Edit, looking at the replies I'm disappointed in hn, expected better.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
goddamn, the craziest thing from the trump and post turmp era is that the masks just come off and people give no fucks eh??

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
dcow 7 hours ago [-]

Is it just me or do “markets” feel like a really dumb AI that is incapable of any sort of strategic planning? It feels like it has the maturity if a child in grocery store swooping up all the candy and scoffing at all the vegetables. Undoubtably markets are great for a lot of things but simply devastating when ineffectively applied to mission-critical goods and services that involve contextually aware knowledge and meta-level thinking. It seems like theres a missing component that would observe swings in demand and try to smooth out the impacts by e.g. subsidizing industries where demand has tanked or taxing industries where demand has skyrocketed in a tapering way (tax that reduces over time as the rate of change of the price of the commodity changes) to avoid something like shuttering a sawmill because of a temporary swing in market economics.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
in which a libertarian child begins to invent the concept of government from first principles

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
"read a book other than lolita or atlas shrugged challenge" for libertarians

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

kitten emergency posted:

"read a book other than lolita or atlas shrugged challenge" for libertarians

i'm not sure the adventures of harry potter are going to help much, either

mystes
May 31, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

i'm not sure the adventures of harry potter are going to help much, either
If it's the original books rather than Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality it's probably a step in the right direction.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

it's still a story about a young, unappreciated nerd who one day discovers he is rich beyond his wildest dreams, a superior being to the humans who previously trod upon him, and instantly recognized by his peers as a wizard of legendary power. whisked away to a private school for gifted children, he does whatever he pleases as adults consistently turn a blind eye, and everyone who takes a disliking to him either comes around quickly enough or is unmasked as a villain suitable for unceremonious murder. the wizarding world is governed by utterly impotent, classist plutocrats who have spent over a decade cowering in fear at a wizard who was unable to murder an infant

there's a reazon yudkowsky found the premise so enchanting he felt compelled to write fanfiction about what he would do in this situation

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Internet Janitor posted:

it's still a story about a young, unappreciated nerd who one day discovers he is rich beyond his wildest dreams, a superior being blah blah blah

so your objection to it is that it's childish wish fulfilment? well it's written for an audience of 12-year-olds

which is a better reason to look for something else to read than anything you said

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Internet Janitor 6 hours ago | parent [-]
it's still a story about a young, unappreciated nerd who one day discovers he is rich beyond his wildest dreams, a superior being to the humans who previously trod upon him, and instantly recognized by his peers as a wizard of legendary power. whisked away to a private school for gifted children, he does whatever he pleases as adults consistently turn a blind eye, and everyone who takes a disliking to him either comes around quickly enough or is unmasked as a villain suitable for unceremonious murder. the wizarding world is governed by utterly impotent, classist plutocrats who have spent over a decade cowering in fear at a wizard who was unable to murder an infant

there's a reazon yudkowsky found the premise so enchanting he felt compelled to write fanfiction about what he would do in this situation

Hammerite 1 hour ago | parent [–]
so your objection to it is that it's childish wish fulfilment? well it's written for an audience of 12-year-olds

which is a better reason to look for something else to read than anything you said

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

alexandriao posted:

:discourse:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

alexandriao posted:

let
the
bodies
hit
the
floor

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

alexandriao posted:

:rackem:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

beebeepka 9 hours ago [–]

Is there a popular religion that is not completely centered around humans? I find these whole "happiness" and "charity" concepts fake and disturbing.
As in good deeds = making other humans happy or whatever.
Yah, I am not big on religion.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i'm not sure i like this false beep

mystes
May 31, 2006

Surprisingly there aren't any popular monotheistic religions where the god is indifferent to or hates humans.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

fritz posted:

beebeepka 9 hours ago [–]

Is there a popular religion that is not completely centered around humans? I find these whole "happiness" and "charity" concepts fake and disturbing.
As in good deeds = making other humans happy or whatever.
Yah, I am not big on religion.

potential cthulhu cultist/worshipper right here

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Goety 9 hours ago [–]

While funny, sad, and true foreign actors will target industries and create corruption to enter these markets as good guys.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

freyr 12 hours ago [–]

The party is over for the computer nerds. Back to the bottom of the social pecking order.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

yakshaving_jgt 3 days ago [–]

I was with you until you linked CRT proselytism with Hamas. That seems quite a stretch.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

jxramos 8 hours ago [–]

So I'm curious are Chinese hackers allowed past the great firewall and allowed to roam freely on the internet? I wonder how that sort of freedom is managed, like I'm imagining a hacker stumbling across a hard drive full of Tianamen Square coverage or Uighur documentation or whatever the suppressed story is. Is that class of individuals given free license online and basically trusted not to go snooping around or cover their eyes when they find stuff they shouldn't be seeing?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

fritz posted:

yakshaving_jgt 3 days ago [–]

I was with you until you linked CRT proselytism with Hamas. That seems quite a stretch.

Is this cathode ray tubes or critical race theory? I honestly can't tell with hn.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fritz posted:

freyr 12 hours ago [–]

The party is over for the computer nerds. Back to the bottom of the social pecking order.

good

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

alexandriao posted:

potential cthulhu sithrak cultist/worshipper right here

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fritz posted:

jxramos 8 hours ago [–]

So I'm curious are Chinese hackers allowed past the great firewall and allowed to roam freely on the internet? I wonder how that sort of freedom is managed, like I'm imagining a hacker stumbling across a hard drive full of Tianamen Square coverage or Uighur documentation or whatever the suppressed story is. Is that class of individuals given free license online and basically trusted not to go snooping around or cover their eyes when they find stuff they shouldn't be seeing?

idk, that is actually kind of an interesting question. what is the personality type the ministry of state security selects for? i've heard that in the usa the TLAs are having trouble finding qualified infosec candidates because to be in the FBI etc you have to be a goody two-shoes who's never tried weed and uhhh. does the MSS turn a blind eye to what its hackers get up to on the internet, or do they only hire career political officer types?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i figured they were either indoctrinated to believe these things were lies; or they're aware of the truth but ordered to maintain kayfabe

a more sober thought is that these people are themselves being monitored for possibly-subversive activity, and debriefed at regular intervals

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

flakeloaf posted:

i figured they were either indoctrinated to believe these things were lies; or they're aware of the truth but ordered to maintain kayfabe

a more sober thought is that these people are themselves being monitored for possibly-subversive activity, and debriefed at regular intervals

alternately they know the truth and simply don’t care. what’s the effective difference between tienamen and any number of police actions in the US over the past year?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

kitten emergency posted:

alternately they know the truth and simply don’t care. what’s the effective difference between tienamen and any number of police actions in the US over the past year?

in tiananmen the vehicles stopped when someone stood in front of them

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fritz posted:

in tiananmen the vehicles stopped when someone stood in front of them

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
last time I was in China my friend there had a vpn on his phone be used to read international news but I think the government started cracking down on that. he could speak for hours about all the scandals and dodgy poo poo that was going on. Chinese love getting one over "the man" just as much as everyone else.

recruiting people probably isn't much different than anywhere else.

faxlore
Sep 24, 2014

a blue star tattoo for you!

The tether scam YouTube video made it to the front page and the cope and whining about the fed and “I think I should be able to decide for myself if I want to buy into a scam” is off the charts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

truth_ 3 hours ago [–]

Much like novels and poetry, math and programming have sincerely contributed to my happiness.
It is not that I can't socialize or don't have friends, it's just that I don't like what most people do (like watching sports, and talking about uninteresting things, etc.) And save some specific people, I feel burned out after spending time with other people. I am known to many as an extremely sociable, and friendly person. I just don't like it.
On top of that, being heretically progressive (truly progressive, e.g. criticizing and disliking all religions and all patriarchy- Christian, Islamic, and Hindu- not toeing the modern woke liberal agenda), I cannot freely express myself except in front of my parents, SO, and about two friends.
In such a life, programming brings immense bliss. I profoundly enjoy poetry, and novels, but they are something you are consuming. I love to create things, modify and change things.
Programming, whether in microcontrollers for hobby, or solving business problems with innovative solutions, or solving project Euler problems, I feel immense joy. If programming did not exist, my life would have been significantly worse.