Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fleetwood posted:

players are feeling the Battlefield urge. I managed to find a full Blood Money server for the first time in ages :chanpop:

holy poo poo, people are playing hardline still? whaaaaaat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

DrPop posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: HAMADA UNIT OF MEASUREMENT CONFIRMED :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

What exactly is a Hamada Unit anyways?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
not much what's hamada with you

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

DrBox posted:

I'm so hype I've been watching every trailer breakdown video I can find looking for more gameplay details. I know people were wondering about vehicle entry/exit animations. Not sure about exit animations but it was pointed out that you can see an entry animation for someone jumping in one of the side gunner seats on the Osprey being pulled into the tornado. You have to slow it right down to see it. I liked the animations so as long as they are kept to a couple seconds I think it'll be ok. I just hope they aren't as long as the BF5 troop carrier one where you open the doors and walk all the way through from the back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WomAGoEh-Ss&t=135s
On the other hand despite their seemingly deliberate attempt to cover it up with a conveniently placed piece of cover, if you look at the scene with the C4 quad it looks like the guy riding the quad gets out instantly if you watch the markers for friendly players and minimap, so I wonder if it's going to be CoD Warzone style where there's an animation that plays for getting into a vehicle but gameplay wise you "enter" it instantly, and exiting just causes you to pop out.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Insert name here posted:

On the other hand despite their seemingly deliberate attempt to cover it up with a conveniently placed piece of cover, if you look at the scene with the C4 quad it looks like the guy riding the quad gets out instantly if you watch the markers for friendly players and minimap, so I wonder if it's going to be CoD Warzone style where there's an animation that plays for getting into a vehicle but gameplay wise you "enter" it instantly, and exiting just causes you to pop out.

Yeah could be. My other hunch is that there is always an animation for getting in, and maybe getting out when parked, but you pop out fast if the vehicle is moving fast.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

codo27 posted:

Any PC goons wanna jump on some bf4?

I've been playing a bit here and there trying to decide if I want to go PS5 or PC for BF2042 when it comes out. Do we have a discord where people hang out to group up? I feel like theres a chance we could get a couple goon stacks going for now with all the battlefield hype.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Symetrique posted:

Argonne was a pretty good map too

https://streamable.com/eqzcl

Didn't even need to click it, and yes

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

DrBox posted:

I'm so hype I've been watching every trailer breakdown video I can find looking for more gameplay details. I know people were wondering about vehicle entry/exit animations. Not sure about exit animations but it was pointed out that you can see an entry animation for someone jumping in one of the side gunner seats on the Osprey being pulled into the tornado. You have to slow it right down to see it. I liked the animations so as long as they are kept to a couple seconds I think it'll be ok. I just hope they aren't as long as the BF5 troop carrier one where you open the doors and walk all the way through from the back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WomAGoEh-Ss&t=135s

I hate the enter/exit animations because they ruined the fun meta of two enemy engineers rapidly jumping in and out of the same tank as they try to kill the other.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Am I the only person who likes the entry/exit animations? I like the opportunity to kill someone who decides to be a tank lord. I am also a weirdo who refuses to use vehicles because I'm way better as infantry.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Really need to see an animation of my guy turning on the emergency lights, stowing the keys under the sun visor, and opening the door before I can finally hit the detonator on my C4

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Live At Five! posted:

Am I the only person who likes the entry/exit animations? I like the opportunity to kill someone who decides to be a tank lord. I am also a weirdo who refuses to use vehicles because I'm way better as infantry.

It makes it riskier to transport infantry around or kick open the door to let them spawn in. It makes it hilariously easier to kill everybody in an APC in BFV because two rockets killed it and the first was a disable, the second would impact before your exit animation could finish.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vehicle animations are fine. It was always dumb that a player can instantly escape danger and also become much more dangerous just because they happen to be beside a vehicle. Players being able to leave vehicles instantly and appear in seemingly random spots around it is also dumb.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Kibayasu posted:

Vehicle animations are fine. It was always dumb that a player can instantly escape danger and also become much more dangerous just because they happen to be beside a vehicle. Players being able to leave vehicles instantly and appear in seemingly random spots around it is also dumb.
Jeep Stuff is cool actually

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Bring back the 10 meter vehicle enter/exit teleportation range from Codename Eagle

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Instantly exiting vehicles in games is bullshit and bad balance, but dying in BF is low stakes enough, and doing wacky poo poo is fun enough that it's worth the trade off. In Warzone it's absolute crap though. The problem is there's no way to know when or where someone got out which puts them at a massive advantage they did absolutely nothing to earn. if it means a quad flies off a building and blows up in my face and I respawn 4 seconds later, cool. if it means I lose and get ejected from a 30 minute plus round it's trash.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I wonder how bots are going to work regarding vehicles. It'd be cool if they could fill gunner slots. I'd rather have a bad gunner than no gunner in a tank for example.

Fishy Flip
Jan 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yami Fenrir posted:

I wonder how bots are going to work regarding vehicles. It'd be cool if they could fill gunner slots. I'd rather have a bad gunner than no gunner in a tank for example.

That would be cool, I hadn't thought of that. I'm thinking it could work like... You could bring up the command wheel, select "Get In!", and then the closest bots in range would attempt to enter the vehicle. If a human enters, the bot would be kicked out. I think it's a good idea.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Fishy Flip posted:

That would be cool, I hadn't thought of that. I'm thinking it could work like... You could bring up the command wheel, select "Get In!", and then the closest bots in range would attempt to enter the vehicle. If a human enters, the bot would be kicked out. I think it's a good idea.

Yeah. I have a feeling they'll just ignore vehicles, but it could always just let you spawn on vehicles with bots in them anyway or something.

They did say that you can play with only bots to learn vehicles so there's hoping?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So we also know there's a Super-Medic guy who gets 100% revives/heals and a ranged heal-dart gun instead of whatever generic kit the player can carry.

Is there gonna be a Support version of him that can *ahem* shoot bullets at allies? Finally you can literally shut up all those idiots asking for ammo (and refuse to just walk up and grab some off of your support rear end in BFV) by firing your 40mm Mag-launcher at them?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Still got it, motherfuckers
https://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/1404945158220762240/352226354/

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The only good use of vehicle animations was making it harder for pilots to bail out past the playable area to deny kills

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The only good use of vehicle animations was making it harder for pilots to bail out past the playable area to deny kills

And reliably getting kills on tank drivers rather than having them flee and disappear like rats if there is cover around.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It's a double edged sword though. Exit animations also contributed to tanks being nowhere near the battle most of the time in V. Drivers are more likely to get up into the action if they feel like they'll be able to bail safely when the time comes.

Warzone's animations for entering are a good middle ground imo. There is an animation, but it lags behind the player who gains control immediately. Exiting players just warp out of the vehicle, BF style.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Drivers are more likely to get up into the action if they feel like they'll be able to bail safely when the time comes.

Cowards.

Never leave the tank, even in the face of death, lest the enemy take it and leave your side a tank down.

"Out of commission, become a pillbox. Out of ammo, become a bunker. Out of time, become heroes."

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

StevoMcQueen posted:

Cowards.

Never leave the tank, even in the face of death, lest the enemy take it and leave your side a tank down.

"Out of commission, become a pillbox. Out of ammo, become a bunker. Out of time, become heroes."

Im really hoping ill be able to squirrel suit to some enemies tank as its called it and nab it before it hits the ground

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I hope I can hack a Near Future Tank and remote control drive it with Near Future Tech

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

So I just listened to some people (such as jackfragz) tell me just how horrible BF5 was and i'm uhh...

wow.

As someone that skipped BF1 and BF5 I'm kind of appalled, and it actually really made me worry about BF2042 despite the hype. Dice plz.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

BF1 was actually good but V was maybe the worst shooter DICE have ever made including both of the new Battlefronts

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Symetrique posted:

Argonne was a pretty good map too

https://streamable.com/eqzcl

Some drunken goon BF1 shenanigans

https://streamable.com/9c45e1

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Alkydere posted:

So we also know there's a Super-Medic guy who gets 100% revives/heals and a ranged heal-dart gun instead of whatever generic kit the player can carry.

Is there gonna be a Support version of him that can *ahem* shoot bullets at allies? Finally you can literally shut up all those idiots asking for ammo (and refuse to just walk up and grab some off of your support rear end in BFV) by firing your 40mm Mag-launcher at them?

Now this making me nervous, it feels like :dice: is trying to mash in all the :airquote: good :airquote: parts from Team Fortress, Call of Duty and Escape from Tarkov into one Battlefield game.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I think some of the BF5 hate is overblown. It felt solid enough on release and I liked squad revives and fortifications. The real problem was the terrible TTK changes and bugs that took too long to fix. Those really hamstrung it for a long time, but they finally polished it up. The Pacific theater stuff is worth a look too if you shelved it before that came out.

I know it's permanently tainted for some people but it's in a pretty solid place now. If you already own it or grab it for cheap I think it's still worth a try. I've been playing again all week and having fun.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

DrBox posted:

I think some of the BF5 hate is overblown. It felt solid enough on release and I liked squad revives and fortifications. The real problem was the terrible TTK changes and bugs that took too long to fix. Those really hamstrung it for a long time, but they finally polished it up. The Pacific theater stuff is worth a look too if you shelved it before that came out.

I know it's permanently tainted for some people but it's in a pretty solid place now. If you already own it or grab it for cheap I think it's still worth a try. I've been playing again all week and having fun.

Last time I played about a month or so ago everything was going fine except that every other round there was a hacker that couldn't be kicked/banned from the server because it's not a dedicate server with admins.

107 kills as infantry in 11 minutes with 105 of those kills being headshots

Even if the game is in a solid place, the lack of any way to deal with hackers when they do arrive is enough to make it not worth playing.

BF1, while it doesn't have great anti-cheat, has plenty of community servers that will kick at least

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

jisforjosh posted:

Last time I played about a month or so ago everything was going fine except that every other round there was a hacker that couldn't be kicked/banned from the server because it's not a dedicate server with admins.

This is honestly my biggest fear. BF5, Warzone, and Tarkov have all gotten ridiculous with cheating, but BF5 felt the worst. I'm no programmer but I feel like a stat based anti cheat that looks at accuracy and KD ratio should be able to weed out the worst offenders really quick. 2042 really needs solid anti cheat.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

sounds like the game needs something to bust these punks

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Squad revives and fortifications are not nearly enough good to outweigh the horrible decisions.

Not only do you have to level up your vehicles to get them on par with other players who already did so, but if you picked a bad vehicle upgrade (and there are so many) then you’re stuck with it until you max out the vehicle, which might take significantly longer if you gimped yourself.

Everything involved with acquiring company coins (which again were necessary for improving your guns and vehicles) was a complete disaster.

Grand Operations was a complete waste of a mode that was abandoned after one half-hearted map update. Speaking of, the maps were some of the worst that I’ve ever played in a Battlefield game. Just horrible layouts and bizarre emplacements all around.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

sounds like the game needs something to bust these punks

Real question, did the tech behind Punkbuster and other 2000s anti-cheats just become ineffective so companies stopped using it (or was it never really truly effective in the first place?) or did companies just stop giving a poo poo?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

The maps were the biggest detriment for me. Way too many duds and it took them way too long to add more. Lets also not forget firestorm and what a huge waste that was.

All that being said tho, i still put hundreds of hours into BFV and had a good time. It was just one of the weaker battlefield games released and was noticably disappointing when compared to the immaculate BF1

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Real question, did the tech behind Punkbuster and other 2000s anti-cheats just become ineffective so companies stopped using it (or was it never really truly effective in the first place?) or did companies just stop giving a poo poo?
Development focus on multiplayer shootmans games shifted to console, where the closed system meant they don't have to worry about traditional anticheat until the console gets hacked, and sometimes they just don't.

Of course this has resulted in laziness and apathy on the part of these giant publishers even towards the types of cheats and exploits that are ruthlessly exploited on console (undermap glitches, invisible exploits, infinite revives, and XIM use).

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It was effective but as far as I know it's not really used anymore because cheats evolved and Punkbuster only looked in active memory and there are ways to obfuscate that.

Modern solutions like Vanguard actually run at the kernel level from PC boot up which I'm not sure I trust EA running anything in kernel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

jisforjosh posted:

It was effective but as far as I know it's not really used anymore because cheats evolved and Punkbuster only looked in active memory and there are ways to obfuscate that.

Modern solutions like Vanguard actually run at the kernel level from PC boot up which I'm not sure I trust EA running anything in kernel.

Every single anti-cheat that exists right now runs at that level, they have to and it is not inherently more risky than running anything else on your PC. :shrug:

E: Vanguard and the DOOM anticheat just did a very dumb, front-facing implementation instead of just quietly doing their job without freaking people out.

Orv fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 16, 2021