Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Blue Labrador posted:

Having a main is cool, but what color has everyone settled on? I thought I was a 03 (red) Gio main, but I think I've settled on a color 07 (purple) Gio. The Grape dog is nice for 214K, and I enjoy the 100% meter buff being visible.

Jeans May and Cotton Candy Giovanna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Pink Nago all the way.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I usually pick green because it is my wife's favorite color

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

dhamster posted:

I usually pick green because it is my wife's favorite color

That's mad cute.

I like Cotton Candy Gio, but tbh, I think I play better with cooler colors. Warmer colors with Gio entice me to think that 214K is plus on block in my experience.

I'm trying to decide on a secondary to main. I've always loved May's songs, and I love her leg tattoo in this game, but I played my first decent I-no tonight and that poo poo was crazy and all that high-low-mix seemed mad fun.

I know it's only like day 4 of the game, but do you think one of those picks would suit a Gio main more than the other?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I go for green Axl. No strong reason, I just wanted to not use the default colors and that one looked nice.

I'm thinking of picking up Faust, and in that case I'll also be using the pure green just because... well, he's a surgeon, and Scrubs taught me that surgeons wear the green scrubs!

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Green Axl has a nice hair color, and Green Faust looks dope too. The skin tint they choose for that palette matches the scrubs super well imo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't really want to use an alternative color on Faust because they change the color of the giant red tube dangling between his thighs.

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

Purple Giovanna is incredible

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

How do you get the stupid neon clothes? Buy the super duper version of the game? I only bought the second tier consumer idiot package.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yes or you can mod it in.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I am playing on God's mightiest creation the PlayStation 5 video game console. I'll just use the regular colours.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I can't decide between purple or pink Faust.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I like yellow I-No.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Blue Labrador posted:

Having a main is cool, but what color has everyone settled on? I thought I was a 03 (red) Gio main, but I think I've settled on a color 07 (purple) Gio. The Grape dog is nice for 214K, and I enjoy the 100% meter buff being visible.

Anji 4 (orange)

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Torn between Blue Giovanna and Pink Giovanna.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I kinda wish they didn't have the same floor ranking for every character in Strive, so that you could be floor 10/heaven on one character and like.. floor 7 on someone you've never played Tekken style

I could go to the open parks to try out new characters and that works fine basically, but it's nice to have the matchmaking when I'm trying to practice something new.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Any tips for getting out of the corner other than psychic blast?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Flawless defense (back + any two buttons) causes anybody wailing on you to get knocked back long enough to mash out, and if you’re really getting pounded you can RC to reset. Or just wakeup super FTW.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I kinda wish they didn't have the same floor ranking for every character in Strive, so that you could be floor 10/heaven on one character and like.. floor 7 on someone you've never played Tekken style

I could go to the open parks to try out new characters and that works fine basically, but it's nice to have the matchmaking when I'm trying to practice something new.

Yeah this would be nice I think just so that you if wake up one day and decide you want to play Faust or something for a while you don't have to go through 20 matches of eating poo poo before you get to your comfort level.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.

exquisite tea posted:

Flawless defense (back + any two buttons) causes anybody wailing on you to get knocked back long enough to mash out, and if you’re really getting pounded you can RC to reset. Or just wakeup super FTW.

Ah yeah I keep forgetting about flawless defense being a thing. This is my first real attempt at getting into a fg and it's great.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

yorkinshire posted:

Ah yeah I keep forgetting about flawless defense being a thing. This is my first real attempt at getting into a fg and it's great.

Really important to note that FD adds extra block stun as a trade off for you pushing them back further

You really don't want to FD everything as it can render some punishable moves unpunishable or even plus. Important that you don't get in the habit of always using FD even outside of meter consumption

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

yorkinshire posted:

Any tips for getting out of the corner other than psychic blast?

A handy technique is to wait for a gap in their string, then jump or super jump (while blocking) and airdash out. IAD can work too, sometimes. Air escapes like these are not foolproof, but they will work more often if they are pushing too far forward on you while minus. If they're smart, they will start backing up or waiting when their turn is over so that they can be in a better position to anti air or air throw you. This opens up more screen space on the ground for you to footsies your way out. On the flip side, if you want to keep someone in the corner, back up a little when it's not your turn anymore.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 16, 2021

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Actually, as someone who does know Slayer, are there references in Nago's animations to him or am I imagining things? I saw Nago has a defeat animation where he props his head up on his hand and looks up at you, which I want to say is a Slayer thing, either literally or in spirit.

His command grab is literally Slayer's! Same animation and everything.

guppy posted:

I fought my way back up to floor 5. I've been trying out Potemkin. I have only managed to land one Potemkin Buster, often accidentally doing 6P instead. I don't love not being able to dash, but his reach is so good and when he does connect he hits like a truck. I have never seen another Potemkin down at my level so people don't really know what to do with him. I had one clown start to match, see I was Potemkin, and back out to change to Chipp and re-matched, thinking he was going to body me and I pushed his poo poo in, which was very satisfying.

Potemkin's specials are all really similar and I can never remember them. I still cannot for the life of me internalize that ground-to-air grab but he has lots of other options to punish jumpers. I like how you can delay the flick so people think they can stop blocking.

How do you save replays? I keep seeing it say that it saved the replay of the last match, but when I go to Replay Theater it says there aren't any. (EDIT: Oh, I backed out and there they are. Is there any way to share replays?)

I have been playing GG for a while and I still have issues with the Half circle back > Forward motion. When I really have to pull it out I can but I also have a much easier time doing it from the left side.

The air grab in many games is more useful for combos than it is for just straight up grabbing people out of the air. You usually have much quicker and safer options to knock people out of the air (6P in a lot of games, have not played enough Strive to see)

Chipp literally dies in 2 Pot combos I don't know why this person thought he was doing a big own

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

there’s no combo into air grab in gg. in practice it’s often used as an anti-air – jump up and air grab the incoming opponent.

personally i gently caress up the directional input and get jD when i want an air grab and air grab when i want jD.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anji's jd umbrella is a pleasant surprise if you get it by accident

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Blue Labrador posted:

you gotta watch out for the Thanos Install

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

b_d posted:

there’s no combo into air grab in gg. in practice it’s often used as an anti-air – jump up and air grab the incoming opponent.

personally i gently caress up the directional input and get jD when i want an air grab and air grab when i want jD.

They were talking specifically about Pot's Heat Knuckle (DP H), which is traditionally a combo ender moreso than an anti-air (even though it looks like it ought to be good for that).

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

oh yeah. funny thing about heat knuckle is it’s not technically a grab so you can block it in this game.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Finally got some time to get into this and really liking Giovanna so far. Hanging around Floor 4 is going well, I just need to stop using her 236H or whichever is her flying kick forward so much.

exquisite tea posted:

Samurai character pickers deserve whatever misfortune befalls them.

The misfortune right now is not being able to play Baiken :smith:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Minty May checking in

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

Skypie posted:

Finally got some time to get into this and really liking Giovanna so far. Hanging around Floor 4 is going well, I just need to stop using her 236H or whichever is her flying kick forward so much.

Just mix in the occasional dashing 2D and get some juicy counterhits on anyone trying to 6P your 236K. Once they're afraid to guess if you're going to 236K or 2D, you can just run up from full screen and throw their rear end :D

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Yithian posted:

Just mix in the occasional dashing 2D and get some juicy counterhits on anyone trying to 6P your 236K. Once they're afraid to guess if you're going to 236K or 2D, you can just run up from full screen and throw their rear end :D

Ah that's good advice, I didn't think about busting chops with 2D. I wish I could convert off 236K because right now I catch lot of people when they misjudge the range/speed, and I'm still experimenting to find what's best for pressure after it puts them down

I just need to stop relying on single moves cuz it reminds me of when SFV came out and I was learning Mika but spamming her HK or 2HP moves constantly lol

e: unrelated, is there a way to see total matches played? I can see my matches won and all that, just curious if I can see total played somewhere.

Skypie fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 16, 2021

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I'm a pretty fresh beginner, but have found a lot of success on closing by using 2D

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I do kinda wish they'd just give us 10 outfit and 10 hair colours to pick between and be able to mix and match. There's a fair few characters where I like an outfit colour but not the hair or vice versa and I just wanna play pretty Ramlethal dressup

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

also don't make any of the rams white.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ya im a ramlethal player and i just use default cuz half her colors make her white for some reason. that said this mod (https://gamebanana.com/mods/294872) exists and i encourage everyone to use it

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

lol. looks like they made a newer one that does the same for all the characters https://gamebanana.com/mods/295057

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I am a terrible at fighting games and when it comes to ArcSys games in specific even worse and I've been enjoying myself. :unsmith:

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I’ve been using Ram and use the Red outfit. I like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I dig Ky's 10, I think. White and light blue.