Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Me and a buddy met up with some older dudes in the mall food court after finding a post-it in the back of a 2600 in the bookstore across the street. we were around 15 and they were probably 20 and lying to us about all the stuff they hacked while we mostly lapped it up. must have been pretty hilarious for them.

in similar era we would spend lunch break at school huddled around a motorola analog cell phone and listen in to people’s phone calls. it was all unencrypted and you could just enter a service code on the keypad to scan through the channels. Probably got that from 2600 too.

I got many a friend free internet by setting up a WRT54G in bridge mode with a directional antenna and leeching off some open hotspot down the block before everything came locked down by default. I found out later my little cousin was doing a similar thing by bringing his laptop over to people’s apartments and WEP cracking the neighbor’s wireless for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
yeah I made serious plans to go to NY for the Fifth Hope (the 2600 hacker con) in 2004 as a 22 year old, thankfully I came to my senses and went drinking in Tokyo for 1/3 the money instead.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yippee cahier posted:

I got many a friend free internet by setting up a WRT54G in bridge mode with a directional antenna and leeching off some open hotspot down the block before everything came locked down by default. I found out later my little cousin was doing a similar thing by bringing his laptop over to people’s apartments and WEP cracking the neighbor’s wireless for them.

i think i still have the bookmark for the wep cracker on an old device somewhere. those were the days

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
wep cracking was so handy for when you moved and your new connection wouldn’t be set up for a week

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

tshirthell.com was the only place to buy edgy shirts online at one point

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

polyester concept posted:

tshirthell.com was the only place to buy edgy shirts online at one point

good lord I cannot imagine those shirts aging well. the 2000s were a loving nightmare

e: they are still around and it’s as horrifying as you can imagine

teen witch fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 15, 2021

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

teen witch posted:

:wtc:

https://www.tshirthell.com/funny-shirts/love-him-or-hate-him-hitler-killed-a-ton-of-jews

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
jeeezus christ

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha i'm going to put on my `talk nerdy to me` shirt from tshirthell while i post a someecards thing with a nice lady sipping tea and also calling you a stupid oval office!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

teen witch posted:

good lord I cannot imagine those shirts aging well. the 2000s were a loving nightmare

wonder how many pepes they move in a year

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

someecards

hell yeah. I’ve got some epic demotivators to share with you!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

jeeezus christ

:staredog:

somehow worse, stuck in the same era, and also less teeth because they removed an edgy shooter shirt they used to advertise all the time so this is some of the most cautiously "edgy" crap

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
thinkin about 14 year old me wearing that jesus did it for the chicks shirt and dying inside

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

cross fukken post

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

and im honestly impressed that tshirt hell both exists and somehow got worse

eh, actually, that it still exists maybe i shouldn't be surprised it got worse what with how poo poo's been since 2016 or so

Winty
Sep 22, 2007

you've got mail, baby, yeah https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxzuzzNy9_4

Winty fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 16, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SO DEMANDING posted:

and im honestly impressed that tshirt hell both exists and somehow got worse

eh, actually, that it still exists maybe i shouldn't be surprised it got worse what with how poo poo's been since 2016 or so

unbelievably it seems that sunshine megatron was keeping it together and after he left it went off a cliff.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

gamespy. planet quake. planet hexen. planet ... unreal?? every new game spawning a new planet site

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my stepdads beer posted:

gamespy. planet quake. planet hexen. planet ... unreal?? every new game spawning a new planet site

I dropped out of school my junior year because I hated engineering and took a job being a systems administrator for the Vanderbilt Vision and Research Center. In my free time I would play a lot of Quake 2 and write about Quake 2. Around '98, GameSpy said, "Do you want to run PlanetQuake?" So I said, "Yeah, OK," and moved to Orange County. I got paid $24,000 a year to write about Quake 2.

Back then, the gaming community was pretty different. It was a very small collection of hardcore nerds. It's not like now, where everybody has an Xbox and plays online.

You had to be pretty nerdy. It was pretty difficult to play games online and it was all PC-only. Something Awful kind of spawned out of the Quake community. For whatever reason, PlanetQuake, even though it was about Quake, which was just a standard first-person shooter where you kill demons or whatever, had a huge element of goofing off. We both wrote a feature called Mailbag, which was like an old-school newspaper advice column. People would write emails and we would respond with something funny.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

drat, you ran that thing?? what was the company like?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lowtax bring back cranky steves map reviews

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Progressive JPEG posted:

lowtax bring back cranky steves map reviews

no dont

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

uhh

this is real, isn't it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i guess i'm glad that i have no idea what any of those words mean, at least

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

"finished" means that something is complete or has ended. idk about the rest though.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

"destroy" means you shouted a lot and then claimed you won

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

wonder if he ever regrets dropping out of that engineering degree

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

PIZZA.BAT posted:

"please give me attention"

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Also that video is 2 and a half hours long

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

two and a half is also how many views it will get

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sweevo posted:

two and a half is also how many views it will get
you either view a video or you don’t, you can’t have half a view

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

jesus WEP posted:

you either view a video or you don’t, you can’t have half a view

to give the appropriate amount of attention, halve your view, then halve it again

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I had no idea how quickly (poorly) running forums can age you

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

carry on then posted:

to give the appropriate amount of attention, halve your view, then halve it again

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Always good for a laugh but I wanna see more recent numbers

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
He's currently down to $178. Graphtreon apparently can't handle creators that hide their number of patrons but not their donation total which is why those graphs are always out of date.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

very concerned by the popularity of lowtax with greenpos

the imminent huh
Apr 6, 2016

K4HVD-Q9TJ9-6CRX9-C9G68-RQ2D3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

the imminent huh posted:

K4HVD-Q9TJ9-6CRX9-C9G68-RQ2D3

freakin classic