Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

hosed up how Vanguard is the only class that gets the dagger, I loving love this thing. Even the Archer only gets the knife.

I'd kill for one of the Knight subclasses to get it. Just a big shiny idiot running around backstabbing everyone for All Of Their HP like a fat ninja
The dagger really, really means it when it says Stronger special attacks.

"So this is just worse than my shortsword in every possible way? Is it even slashing any faster? At least it looks cool-Did my Q attack just deal loving ONE HUNDRED DAMAGE" :stare:

And that is front stab damage. It does something like 135 or some bullshit if you’re ambusher lands the dagger Q from behind.

Meanwhile the sprinting attack only does 80. Kinda wild the sprint special is weaker.

EDIT: One mother fucker of a bug. Three times in a row with dagger out, the quiver power on ambusher didn't give me any more throwing knives if I was out.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jun 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I am rather enjoying throwing one axe directly at someone's skull, then following up with another axe if the first axe doesn't kill them.

There is something rather cathartic about it.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Buschmaki posted:

Javelins being able to be blocked makes me very sad

fwiw it consumes like 3/4 of your stamina to block a thrown javelin. Follow up with something else quickly and you're sure to break their guard.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I find myself playing close support skirmisher a lot. Stay close to a group of team mates, javelin the piss out of anyone who is not a team member, use that bear trap at choke points, and short sword when you are cornered.

It is extremely fun and intense. I even get the random message now and them from team mates saying thanks.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I played the filthy ranged classes last night. Jav thrower was probably the most fun. Stay close to fights and throw Javs in peoples’s backs, especially their good players.

The fact that team damage is so low makes it so ranged dudes are willing to shoot into group fights and there’s almost no consequence for missing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

VulgarandStupid posted:

I played the filthy ranged classes last night. Jav thrower was probably the most fun. Stay close to fights and throw Javs in peoples’s backs, especially their good players.

The fact that team damage is so low makes it so ranged dudes are willing to shoot into group fights and there’s almost no consequence for missing.
Meanwhile, in Footman Land.

"Here have a medkit OH gently caress, he died. IT KEEPS HAPPENING!"

I mean sure hitting a healthy ally in the armored thighs with three throwing knives is different than "Throw a fanny pack full of bricks at someone you think looks a bit too maimed", but still :v:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So whats the reasoning behind the crossbowman getting a bonus against footmen and knights. Just...why...

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So whats the reasoning behind the crossbowman getting a bonus against footmen and knights. Just...why...

the grognard answer is that bolts punch through armor real good

the gameplay answer is they need something to compensate for the really slow reload

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Famethrowa posted:

the grognard answer is that bolts punch through armor real good

the gameplay answer is they need something to compensate for the really slow reload

And the game simulate armour by giving more HP to heavier classes, so armour piercing weapons get a bonus against Knights.

Speaking of knight, I really like the base long sword. I feel it’s good at everything.
Just need to get around the weird negative mouse acceleration so I can helicopter properly, I often get hit by people although I feel safe behind them and it’s really annoying.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Krogort posted:

And the game simulate armour by giving more HP to heavier classes, so armour piercing weapons get a bonus against Knights.

Speaking of knight, I really like the base long sword. I feel it’s good at everything.
Just need to get around the weird negative mouse acceleration so I can helicopter properly, I often get hit by people although I feel safe behind them and it’s really annoying.

Yeah, longsword is a joy. The stabs are powerful, the cuts decent, but more importantly it's got good range and is surprisingly quick. Overall I actually prefer it over most of the chunkier weapons that the conqueror subclass gets.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Nimblness and mobility is such a big asset. It seems like the top killers in most servers are using huge weapons, or sword and board. The heavies tend to run around in big, arcing circles, so being able to just get away from them is crucial. They usually seem to be very aggressive, and rarely bother to give chase if nearer targets are available, so I've been disengaging, waiting for them to focus elsewhere, then rushing in for a cheap hit or two while they recover from a swing. Guardian with the hammer has been rather efficient at dispatching these guys, especially if they see you throw the shield - it seems to make people overconfident and they just run in and take a swing ASAP. Also, the shortsword is fantastic with the knight, since people seem to expect you to be very slow when they see full plate. Banner rules too.

My other main tactic has been to scope out whoever has the fanciest armor and just bait them away from the mass of soldiers. I figure it slows their kill rate and leaves other players to kill bots and noobs, even if they take me out, and it grants me time to study their tricks in isolation so I'm prepared to deal with them in a bigger fight.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 16, 2021

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I was real annoyed when there was only duel servers for my local the other day but I tried it and actually now I way prefer it.

1v1 duels give you a real good sense of progression. I find a way to win that works, find someone that knows how to beat it easily, evolve my strat and over and over. Lots of other reasons why. Immediately getting back into a fight. The non verbal communication you have wither everyone can be funny. (Stealing peoples head and throwing it at them to initiate a repeat duel still cracks me up) Not dealing with dickheads that just spam left click in big groups on normal mode is a good one. But mostly its just the clear sense of learning and getting better that is really addictive.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Really there's only two downsides of duels: 1. when you get owned it's just because you get owned there's nothing else to blame 2. the flourish is stupid (because I can't do it. how do you do the flourish)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Phobeste posted:

Really there's only two downsides of duels: 1. when you get owned it's just because you get owned there's nothing else to blame 2. the flourish is stupid (because I can't do it. how do you do the flourish)

defaults to middle mouse button click. So many times I flourished instead of doing an overhead or stab .......

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

TorakFade posted:

defaults to middle mouse button click. So many times I flourished instead of doing an overhead or stab .......

Oh no way I thought it was some particular combination of feints and chances that’s way easier

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

The default controls are not good. Do yourself a favor and rebind some things. The control mapping options are actually really good - you can bind one key to multiple actions and have multiple keys for the same action. I took flourish off middle mouse because I kept doing that instead of thrust/overhead.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
today i learned about alternate attacks (change starting direction of swing)

feeling dumb as heck

and yeah rebinding "cancel attack" to RMB, it works fine also as block, and it makes feinting really easy

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
So yeah, the Imposter voice lines. I thought Dark Prince was a bit overdone, but holy poo poo.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 16, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Apparently the bad rubber banding/lag that can happen only occurs if you use the server browser and not the matchmaking. At least according to their ticket on trello.

Also, new map preview!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS6MXSDk9RA

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
This game loving OWNS>

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my favorite combo: Vanguard or whatever subclass that you get backstab damage with carrying Short Sword & Dagger

strong af

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Real pros use the Candelabra ~ its powerful and can smash multiple enemies at once. And it's lightastic!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mr. Pool posted:

today i learned about alternate attacks (change starting direction of swing)

feeling dumb as heck

you can feint the regular attack into the alternate direction regular attack and it fucks people up ALL THE TIME

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

School Nickname posted:

So yeah, the Imposter voice lines. I thought Dark Prince was a bit overdone, but holy poo poo.

lmao, its basically tobias funke.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Babe Magnet posted:

you can feint the regular attack into the alternate direction regular attack and it fucks people up ALL THE TIME

Definitely. Mapping swing direction to movement has been helpful for me, even though I don't actively exploit it very often.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Huh, the greatsword just seems to be 100% not worth it. It's got decent range, but is so ludicrously slow that you can barely capitalize on it. Both the Messer and the Longsword are outright superior, and that's before you even consider that they come with much less of a trade-off.

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!
I really need people to play with, I am in the discord, but it seems dead in the euro times.
Im faeertjuice on EGS.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Perestroika posted:

Huh, the greatsword just seems to be 100% not worth it. It's got decent range, but is so ludicrously slow that you can barely capitalize on it. Both the Messer and the Longsword are outright superior, and that's before you even consider that they come with much less of a trade-off.

The Greatsword is bad at 1v1s compared to those other two weapons, yeah.

Where the greatsword shines is 1vX, where it's one of the best weapons in the game. Group fights mean countering someone from a mile away leading you to being invincible for a year as you carve through 3 other people trying to attack you at once; you cover such a huge area that the chances of you not hitting are entirely based on them not being there at all, or them blocking.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

mdct posted:

The Greatsword is bad at 1v1s compared to those other two weapons, yeah.

Where the greatsword shines is 1vX, where it's one of the best weapons in the game. Group fights mean countering someone from a mile away leading you to being invincible for a year as you carve through 3 other people trying to attack you at once; you cover such a huge area that the chances of you not hitting are entirely based on them not being there at all, or them blocking.

This, plus to really excel with it you need really good footwork, moreso than the other weapons mentioned.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

vandalism posted:

This game loving OWNS>

:hmmyes:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Just got this game and got assigned to footman my first game and been playing as a halberdier ever since. If you're moving forward and have 2 little chevrons under your reticle, does that mean you're sprinting and that Q will do a sprinting attack instead of a special attack? Shift also seems like it does absolutely nothing to make me move faster, but maybe I'm just not noticing it.

Also, do bots just fill in servers? Noticed a surprisingly large amount of normal names on people who suck quite a bit more than my new rear end. I mostly run in with a charge attack and start swinging, since that halberd can do some nice damage when you get a parry. I still don't think I've managed to properly counter anybody yet though. Speaking of, if I alt-attack, would someone need to alt-attack back to properly counter? And does that apply to overheads/stabs too? Because I'm not sure I'll ever be able to recognize the difference in time to meaningfully counter that, though maybe could get alt-swings down.

Game owns. Just got a polehammer I want to try out.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ravenfood posted:

Just got this game and got assigned to footman my first game and been playing as a halberdier ever since. If you're moving forward and have 2 little chevrons under your reticle, does that mean you're sprinting and that Q will do a sprinting attack instead of a special attack? Shift also seems like it does absolutely nothing to make me move faster, but maybe I'm just not noticing it.

Also, do bots just fill in servers? Noticed a surprisingly large amount of normal names on people who suck quite a bit more than my new rear end. I mostly run in with a charge attack and start swinging, since that halberd can do some nice damage when you get a parry. I still don't think I've managed to properly counter anybody yet though. Speaking of, if I alt-attack, would someone need to alt-attack back to properly counter? And does that apply to overheads/stabs too? Because I'm not sure I'll ever be able to recognize the difference in time to meaningfully counter that, though maybe could get alt-swings down.

Game owns. Just got a polehammer I want to try out.

You got all of that right except the alt- counters. A slash will counter a slash no matter the direction it came from.

Also, bots are the kinda thing i didn't appreciate until I played more. They're dumb, weak and all of them have the same stupid face, and they're great at making a game feel more full of cannon fodder troops. Having a 1v1 interrupted when a bit joins is kinda fun, as is running into 5 angry bots and pulling aggro from them. I appreciate our peasant troops.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Also I'm not ashamed to admit that I've died to bots fearlessly attacking while I'm attacking more often than I'd like to admit. The way that the timing works out is that they can kind of sneak hits on you when you're fighting an actual player.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

mdct posted:

Also I'm not ashamed to admit that I've died to bots fearlessly attacking while I'm attacking more often than I'd like to admit. The way that the timing works out is that they can kind of sneak hits on you when you're fighting an actual player.

Bots will occasionally wreck my poo poo. It's like taskmanager frees up a bunch of ram all of a sudden and they get really aggressive for 30 seconds.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh I die to bots constantly in 1vX, and I overextend a lot trying to kill them quick, too.

I've also learned that if I'm running a Halberd and a bot with a dagger targets me, better if I run.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The bots don’t respond well to good footwork and things like holds. Generally if you move away or side to side against then and do a hold, you’ll kill them easily. They are also easily recognizable.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Do bots impact the score in TDM? It would be a bit of a bummer if they did but it would apply to both teams so no big deal either way. I love seeing a horde of bots coming my way, especially if I have a longbow.

Side note, I love the maps where you have to kill/defend a VIP at the end, it's basically a wildcard round and can go either way which is a fun way to end a long match.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

bees everywhere posted:

Side note, I love the maps where you have to kill/defend a VIP at the end, it's basically a wildcard round and can go either way which is a fun way to end a long match.

People get so mad if the Duke/Heir doesn't sit in the corner like they're "supposed" to. Had one guy that ended up dying as Duke and people started whining, and he was just like "I'm the Duke, I can play how I want" and I gotta say :hmmyes:

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
I love playing with a yolo Duke as much as I like throwing fire bombs at a yolo Duke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

So the Duke/Heir can heal just like everyone else? Do banners and medkits and toots all work on him or do only some things work? Can they eat food too. I'm not good enough to have ever been in first place lol