Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

All for One was behind the fan-translation. :tinfoil:

He stole a bad grammar quirk fifty years ago and keeps using it as a joke on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Kind of funny that Nagant literally exploded and just looks a little scuffed up

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
"Former Hideout of the Creature Rejection Clan (The Hate Group against Heteromorphs)"

What's a Heteromorph?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Mraagvpeine posted:

"Former Hideout of the Creature Rejection Clan (The Hate Group against Heteromorphs)"

What's a Heteromorph?

different + form/shape?

probably what they call people with quirks or metahumans

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Heteromorphs are people who don't look like baseline humans. Orca, for example.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That's the same place Spinner cleared out, right?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, I think so. I remember them clearing out a bunch of nazis at one point.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I Am Fowl posted:

Yeah, I think so. I remember them clearing out a bunch of nazis at one point.

I wonder whose job it was to clean up all the bodies and wash the blood off the floor. Did AfO hire some interior decorators to clean it up before the heroes got there or did he just make Spinner do it? Maybe Nomu's can do housework.

Also jeez guys, give the story some freaking time to breathe. Obviously they weren't going to restructure japanese society overnight.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Electric Phantasm posted:

They all did. Chapter 220.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, was the Christmas themed episode that’s happening this week in the manga or is it mostly just filler?

Either way, I expect MVA to finally begin within another episode or two after that at least.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Larryb posted:

I forget, was the Christmas themed episode that’s happening this week in the manga or is it mostly just filler?

Either way, I expect MVA to finally begin within another episode or two after that at least.

It's all from the manga, Eri gets a giant buster sword

The whole thing is basically the calm before everything starts going to poo poo.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
really hope they do a new opening for MVA. they have to, right?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mimesweeper posted:

really hope they do a new opening for MVA. they have to, right?

That’s what I’m expecting (as I’ve said before the LOV taking over the opening and preview narration for said arc would be fun as well)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

I thought I was losing my mind at first because the manga goes from Bakugo and Todoroki busting carbonation guy to MVA, but after some searching it turns out the Christmas chapter happens after MVA and anime is moving it up, probably to after some levity before MVA.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I thought I was losing my mind at first because the manga goes from Bakugo and Todoroki busting carbonation guy to MVA, but after some searching it turns out the Christmas chapter happens after MVA and anime is moving it up, probably to after some levity before MVA.

It would be a bit of an odd thing to see at the tail end of the season after all the death and murder.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah that makes sense (and I don’t think bumping it up really affects anything continuity wise).

Plus, MVA is likely going to take up the entire rest of the season so this week’s episode will probably be the last we see of the UA crew for a while.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Yeah, I was extremely confused when I saw it next on the docket and I thought it was just filler, but it makes way more sense that they just moved it up. That lets them end on MVA, or if they want to flip back to the UA kids, end on some setup for the Endeavor Internship arc. Going from MVA to "here's some happy Christmas poo poo" as the finale would be weird as hell.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I Am Fowl posted:

Heteromorphs are people who don't look like baseline humans. Orca, for example.

Man, looking back, that little aside about Gang Orca being number 3 ranked on the 'heroes who look most like villains' list really comes under a new light.

Bigwinnie101
Jan 26, 2020

fractalairduct posted:

Man, looking back, that little aside about Gang Orca being number 3 ranked on the 'heroes who look most like villains' list really comes under a new light.

Pretty much. You have also seen in recent chapters people have been attacking Heteromorphs in the street and we also have Shoji saying he is used to having people fear him. Its always been there in the series just people gloss over it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I think there was a little profile thing written for Shoji somewhere that said the reason he wears his mask is because his face made a little girl cry when he was younger and he felt really bad about it.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I tried the first few books of Vigilantes but didn't find the writing or characters as compelling. I really like Aizawa as a character in the main series though - is there a good point to jump on for when he turns up in Vigilantes?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lethemonster posted:

I tried the first few books of Vigilantes but didn't find the writing or characters as compelling. I really like Aizawa as a character in the main series though - is there a good point to jump on for when he turns up in Vigilantes?

Vigilantes starts off pretty rough and takes some time to find its stride, mostly because it has to go through a lot of stop-start-retell the story so far due to switching magazines a couple times.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lethemonster posted:

Vigilantes has a rough start but gets MUCH better as it goes along (though I forget the exact moment where things start to visibly improve), just stick with it

Bigwinnie101
Jan 26, 2020

Larryb posted:

Vigilantes has a rough start but gets MUCH better as it goes along (though I forget the exact moment where things start to visibly improve), just stick with it

I like some of Vigilantes but I'm not sure I can ever forgive Soga. Him and his boys deserved way worse than they got and they are around way more than I like now

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lethemonster posted:

Aizawa's backstory is chapters 59-65 (volumes 8/9) and is pretty much standalone

I also recommend reading Vigilantes in its entirety anyway regardless

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
One For All is my favorite shonen villain in a long-rear end time. Dude is just having so much fun out there. Living his best life.

E: also, all of Deku’s struggles with multiple quirks makes OFA extremely impressive in hindsight. You don’t just need a strong will/body to hold multiple Quirks, you also need tremendous brainpower to use them simultaneously.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 14, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bigwinnie101 posted:

I like some of Vigilantes but I'm not sure I can ever forgive Soga. Him and his boys deserved way worse than they got and they are around way more than I like now

Yeah those guys got off the hook a little too easily in my opinion since when we first met them they were attacking and humiliating people for fun (it even seemed like they were basically about to rape or otherwise assault Pop in some way until Koichi stepped in).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 14, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Like early Bakugo, I feel like Soga's gang were initially written as worse people than they should have been, and they've had their characters reined in without much comment, with the end of their original involvement in the series being a clean break for everything that comes afterwards.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I started reading after the clean break (no idea what chapter exactly) and yeah I had absolutely no clue I dodged that bullet with never seeing Soga's introduction until people brought it up later.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Vengarr posted:

One For All is my favorite shonen villain in a long-rear end time. Dude is just having so much fun out there. Living his best life.

E: also, all of Deku’s struggles with multiple quirks makes OFA extremely impressive in hindsight. You don’t just need a strong will/body to hold multiple Quirks, you also need tremendous brainpower to use them simultaneously.

Yeah, he's fantastic and I honestly wouldn't be opposed to seeing more of his origins, especially with regard to how his quirk functions and how he rose to power.

Really it's kind of cool how Deku was having trouble using all of the quirks together, because it makes sense that he would in particular. He wants to use each one to its fullest potential at all times, because just like his peers he's learned that quirks are something you develop, and in the past we've actually seen times where his reverence for All Might/One for All got in the way of him using his quirk properly.

Contrast that with the only time we've seen All For One fight, where he's basically handling dozens of quirks by broad category, or here where we see he keeps all sorts of quirks on hand as one-off tools or bargaining chips. It's still impressive to keep track of everything, I imagine he has hundreds of quirks just based on what we've seen, but he absolutely has no patience or capacity for mastering them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I want the bonus chapter where All For One loses his poo poo when his computer crashes and he didn't save his changes to myquirks.xml

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Shere posted:

Yeah, he's fantastic and I honestly wouldn't be opposed to seeing more of his origins, especially with regard to how his quirk functions and how he rose to power.

Really it's kind of cool how Deku was having trouble using all of the quirks together, because it makes sense that he would in particular. He wants to use each one to its fullest potential at all times, because just like his peers he's learned that quirks are something you develop, and in the past we've actually seen times where his reverence for All Might/One for All got in the way of him using his quirk properly.

Contrast that with the only time we've seen All For One fight, where he's basically handling dozens of quirks by broad category, or here where we see he keeps all sorts of quirks on hand as one-off tools or bargaining chips. It's still impressive to keep track of everything, I imagine he has hundreds of quirks just based on what we've seen, but he absolutely has no patience or capacity for mastering them.

This thought feels similar to something in Fullmetal Alchemist, about how Father didn't care about the souls in his Philosopher's Stone while Van Hohenheim took the time to learn about each soul in his. (spoiler just in case someone hasn't read/watch the story)

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Good for him

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Everyone helped.

Except Dabi, obviously.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cBYUfAno-0

A new trailer for the movie just dropped. Shows that students other than Deku/Bakugou/Todoroki will show up.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Rhonne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cBYUfAno-0

A new trailer for the movie just dropped. Shows that students other than Deku/Bakugou/Todoroki will show up.

Wow, it's been a minute since I've heard Asian Kung Fu Generation

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Asian Kung Fu Generation should've done an OP for the main series so we could finally get a 10/10 OP

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

No. They should continue the streak of having almost good OPs, and devoting any real effort to the endings.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Fabricated posted:

Asian Kung Fu Generation should've done an OP for the main series so we could finally get a 10/10 OP

The Day exists, you know. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Man with a Mission is doing the next OP, for whatever that's worth.

Combine that with a LoV theme, we could get something really fun.