Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
The SMT5 protagonist plays the organ music himself when you do fusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I've talked about how much I like a lot of royals new poo poo in this thread a lot Stux. Hell I like the menus in P5 I just don't think they're all that different from normal SMT menus minus style, which doesn't really fit mainline SMT as much as the simplified poo poo from 4 and 5. I just think it's weird to say they save time over the other when it's the exact same amount of inputs. You don't got to find an objective reason to like P5's UI you can just think it's neat, cause it is.

wrong, its objectively good

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
can people like/dislike stuff in this thread without some person getting weirdly confrontational about it

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I beat the Fifth Kalpa last night and man they don’t expect you to do that til after the Diet Building, huh? I got a little spiel about the Gods of the Reasons even though I hadn’t actually met Ahriman yet, which seemed odd. Also lmao Dante and Super Pixie make running through the Diet Building kind of a joke.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2Xk3kBhZ2g

Watching this live stream right now, no game yet, but they keep playing different P4 music.

Atlus knows the all time Persona King. Good taste. Now some IVA music, they just keep being awesome.

I'm skimming through it now, and it looks like there is a bunch of more stuff we are getting. I'll do a bigger write up in a bit, but the that shocks me most is that Angel got a nonsexualized redesign. I just assumed Atlus would only do the exact opposite.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 16, 2021

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Item Getter posted:

The SMT5 protagonist plays the organ music himself when you do fusion

That owns

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
It’s incredibly rad:

https://youtu.be/J2Xk3kBhZ2g&t=78m36s

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm a big dumb Persona 5 fan but I really don't think SMTV needs to, or even should, mimic its menu style. Persona 5 has a very over-the-top stylish presentation which I adore in Persona 5 itself but which I don't think would be appropriate for a mainline SMT game.

There are two battle-related things I wish SMTV would've taken from P5, though, and neither are aesthetic:
  • The way P5's battle options are mapped to face buttons and not in a list is great. I much prefer the whole "press triangle to open the Skills menu" thing to the "scroll to Skills, press a button to open the menu" style. It's by no means unique to P5--Super Mario RPG did it back on the SNES, and more recently, so did Yakuza: Like a Dragon--but I like it a lot.
  • SMTV's battle animations look pretty long. They look very cool, but I wish they were snappier. I'm a big fan of quick, snappy animations in turn-based JRPGs. Again, by no means unique to P5 (I remember appreciating it a lot in FFX, for example), but it's something P5 did as well.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

That's absolutely incredible. I cannot wait until November.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, SMTV should copy P5's menus in that they are an excellent place to reinforce the mood that the game is aiming for.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Holy poo poo this is incredible

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Thinking of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT934eTbmuY

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Really dig the new angel design even if I'll miss Kanekos literal take on in bondage of servitude to the lord.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

everything about smt 5 is so cool aaahhhhh

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lmao the most Chad smt protagonist

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
A big fan of how over the top so much of the protagonist's design and movement seem to be and hopefully the trend continues in the story itself.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Really dig the new angel design even if I'll miss Kanekos literal take on in bondage of servitude to the lord.

I thought they were just gonna grab the demon models from P5 and be done with it. Now I wonder what other demons have updated models.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I do like that the death animations seem to depend on the element that you've used. That was one of the raddest things about SMT4.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Harrow posted:

I'm a big dumb Persona 5 fan but I really don't think SMTV needs to, or even should, mimic its menu style. Persona 5 has a very over-the-top stylish presentation which I adore in Persona 5 itself but which I don't think would be appropriate for a mainline SMT game.

I know your point is that p5 style is extra for SMT, but it's funny saying p5 buttons is inappropriate when SMT5 is taking the Idol/Entertainment game's interface instead.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It doesn't appear there's any personified healer (like the Lady of the Fount or the chefs of Tokyo), instead it looks like you just pick "Healing" off the vortex menu and it opens the healing menu.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

I know your point is that p5 style is extra for SMT, but it's funny saying p5 buttons is inappropriate when SMT5 is taking the Idol/Entertainment game's interface instead.

I mean I guess it is, but the main menus (like the out-of-battle menus) look a lot like SMT4/4A's, just with a darker background instead of the Burroughs white. I guess it looks sorta like a fusion between SMT4 and TMS to me.

That said, TMS's battle UI isn't nearly as stylized as Persona 5's so if you were going to port one over to SMT5 they definitely picked the more neutral one.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tae posted:

Well as we just saw, the SMT5 Hero is a stylish performance artist.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Okay, so trying to compile what was revealed in the Atlus livestream:

We have the updated angel on the left. It is followed by Daemon, Brute race. Presumably this is more focused on the Christian "demon," and using the greek mythology name Daemon is just to keep it from being confused with demon as a class, I think. Then of course we have the Hee-ho to end all Hee-ho's, with a very slightly tweaked design. Then we have Amanozako, Genma race, who is a also completely new to the series. Lastly we have Fionn mac Cumhaill, who is also Genma class, again is new.

Later on in gameplay we see Persona's Neko Shogun appears in mainline SMT for the first time.

There is a story related scene where you meet Sofia for the first time, which I'll just link here and translate:

"I am glad you have come. I have waited a long time for someone to be able to see me again."

"I am Sophia, one who guides the world from a different dimension"

The master of the heretical world: Sophia

"I can awaken a portion of your sleeping power"

The other big thing of note is how non-battle mechanics will work, which we get to see. Basically, there is this blue light thing that you can see from a good distance away as a sort of beacon.

Inside there are various options:

The first is option is simply saving. The second appears to be the fast travel system. The name I guess I would call something like "Feng Shui crossing." Its tied in old Chinese mysticism though, so I have no idea if they will change the name or not. The third is something like "skeleton hideaway." This appears to be a shop where you can buy or sell items. The fourth is "heretical world," which is for fusions. The final is "recovery" which is the normal pay to heal you expect in SMT.

They then go to fusions, which is done through Sophia now:

The first option is demon fusion. The second is the demon compendium. The third is "Demon god ritual" but I have no idea what that is supposed to be. Its been forever since I played 4 though, so I don't know if it is an old thing I forgot or if this is something new. the fourth option is the standard "explanation" option. The last is an option to check the current party status.

They then go into demon fusion:

The first option is the standard classic 2 demon fusion. The second is to look at the results by demon result that was added in SMT IV. The third is the same, but also using the demon compendium as well, presumably where you will pay macca to summon the demons you will use for fusion. And the last option is for special fusions, which presumably also work like 4.

They do get to show off that fusion skill inheritance also work like 4. After creating Angel, they are informed a new special demon fusion is available, which is High Pixie (I guess High Pixie is a special fusion in 5).

They also are able to show off that there is a quest system as they do a quest for an Agathion.

I think that is all that I was able to gather that was interesting.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 16, 2021

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

MegaZeroX posted:

The final is "recovery" which I guess is how you heal. They didn't ever go over the description so I no idea if you need to pay or not.

Nice summary overall. The healing at save points does cost money, they showed it briefly.

Wonder if all of the services being available from save points means there won't really be towns in the traditional sense. Also interesting that they seem to be going back to save points, save everywhere in 4 was convenient but I like the feeling of tension that comes from save points.
Speaking of which I thought it was sort of funny that they brought back moon phases after they were removed in 4. It looks like you can talk to demons on the full moon now though

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Don't feel like sifting through two hours of footage looking for the new Angel design, can someone post a timestamp or screengrab?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Item Getter posted:

Nice summary overall. The healing at save points does cost money, they showed it briefly.

Huh, seems like I missed that as I went through. I'll edit my post.

Arist posted:

Don't feel like sifting through two hours of footage looking for the new Angel design, can someone post a timestamp or screengrab?

I just posted an image that includes it:

Its on the far left. If you really want in game, here is an image of the 3d model:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Ok, got this information from a YouTube video so take it with huge grains of salt.

https://youtu.be/X1utAAStqAA

Apparently, it looks like the buff skills like Sukukaja are now single target and lasts for 3 turns ala Persona. Unsure if it stacks or not.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MegaZeroX posted:

Huh, seems like I missed that as I went through. I'll edit my post.

I just posted an image that includes it:

Its on the far left. If you really want in game, here is an image of the 3d model:

Oh, missed that, thanks.

Yeah, that's... interesting. Huh.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

jimmydalad posted:

Ok, got this information from a YouTube video so take it with huge grains of salt.

Apparently, it looks like the buff skills like Sukukaja are now single target and lasts for 3 turns ala Persona. Unsure if it stacks or not.

If they wear off like in Persona I can't see any reason why they would stack, to be honest.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

jimmydalad posted:

Apparently I should have payed more attention to the battles. Yeah, pixie uses rakukaja there, and targets a single target there. I watched through the whole battle, and I don't think they at least vocally mention anything about the buff there, so unless its covered somewhere else, we don't know that it works exactly like Persona or not.

But it does seem to at least have multiple levels, giving the text.

Edit: The description says 3 turns, yeah

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Arist posted:

If they wear off like in Persona I can't see any reason why they would stack, to be honest.

Skill description mentions that it raises that stat by "1 stage/level" so I would guess they stack.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In gnosticism, Sophia is the mother of the creator god. Seems likely they'll be going with that angle if she's such a prominent character

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Then maybe they don't wear off? Making you stack buffs that wear off in a couple turns anyway seems pretty annoying to manage even assuming they refresh like in more recent Persona titles.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Like that theory where SMTIV takes place after Strange Journey? I could get into it, but I'm wondering what your logic is.

The girl says their Tokyo is fake, Daat looks a lot like the vortex world, Lucifer says God is dead, the demons talk about a war 13 years ago... Even if it's not a sequel, it could be a prequel as I remember the events of Nocturne had more or less looped a number of times.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Having buffs only effect one character always makes the defensive ones feel bad to me. I know a buffed offensive characters is going to get maximum value out of its buff, but there is no guarantee that buffing one character’s defense will even matter.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

i think we'll end up seeing ma- kaja/ndas later on, if not explicitly named like that

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Arist posted:

Then maybe they don't wear off? Making you stack buffs that wear off in a couple turns anyway seems pretty annoying to manage even assuming they refresh like in more recent Persona titles.

No, the description for rakukaja explicitly says "For 3 turns, increase defense power of a single ally by one stage"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Using it a second time might both increase the stage and refresh the duration

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well that's one gameplay change I'm a bit apprehensive about. I like the Nocturne/SMT4 style where buffs are multitarget by default and stack their effects with an unlimited duration. Having a turn-limited duration and stacking, combined with having single-target versions, seems like it might feel kind of clunky.

I already rarely use buffs in Persona games until I get the multitarget versions, just because it's such a pain to keep refreshing single-target buffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It did create a sort of weird flow where a boss that didn't have dekaja or dekunda was just helpless, and if they did have it then your buff essentially had a duration, just a random one. I'd expect those moves to be a lot rarer to account for you constantly needing to refresh them by default