Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/HarrisonWind/status/1404302578981040129

https://twitter.com/HarrisonWind/status/1404305816371425281

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

it's me i'm people

If they had a way to get a different guard who can defend and at least shoots it when LeBron passes to him for less money instead I'd be all for it but if teams are gonna pay the MLE for Caruso then that's pretty much what the Lakers have to match.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

A bummer for sure although with as frequently as Barton is injured you can kind of tell why they decided to be careful this time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

If they had a way to get a different guard who can defend and at least shoots it when LeBron passes to him for less money instead I'd be all for it but if teams are gonna pay the MLE for Caruso then that's pretty much what the Lakers have to match.

His Cap hold should be lower than his salary, so he can't squeeze them too bad. But yeah, I expect they'll need to match/slighty beat/give him player options to stay. The Lakers are Real Contenders though so that's just what you gotta do.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Vinestalk posted:

Welcome, Denver fans. It's bittersweet getting an MVP but losing in the playoffs, but we all know this is a different series with Jamal Murray. It's always tough saying "next season," after all the things this team has been through but Denver is legitimately a contender every year Jokic is on the team. It's just a matter of finding the right pieces around him and staying healthy.

I've been thinking Murray comes back around MLK day or is that way too optimistic?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Next week we get to see if the rockets lose their pick 🥰

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

LionYeti posted:

I've been thinking Murray comes back around MLK day or is that way too optimistic?

That's possible but Optimistic. Even when he comes back he'll be pretty rough.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Metapod posted:

Next week we get to see if the rockets lose their pick 🥰

Same for the Timberwolves. I'm on pins and needles, since it'll have a big effect on next season, even if they end up trading the pick. Losing it will hurt pretty bad.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Azathoth posted:

Same for the Timberwolves. I'm on pins and needles, since it'll have a big effect on next season, even if they end up trading the pick. Losing it will hurt pretty bad.

Eh. It'd be nice to move past. They weren't quite as bad as their record this year. I'm more interested in how they shape their roster moving forward.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lockback posted:

Eh. It'd be nice to move past. They weren't quite as bad as their record this year. I'm more interested in how they shape their roster moving forward.

Yeah, I'm more thinking that a top pick would be useful as a trade chip to bring in someone who could fit with the core and not need 3+ years to figure out if they're an NBA starter or not. The last thing they need right now is yet another player not old enough to legally drink.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Lockback posted:

That's possible but Optimistic. Even when he comes back he'll be pretty rough.

He's shooting one legged halfcourt shots I think he'll be alright.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, I'm more thinking that a top pick would be useful as a trade chip to bring in someone who could fit with the core and not need 3+ years to figure out if they're an NBA starter or not. The last thing they need right now is yet another player not old enough to legally drink.

The Wolves salary situation is definitely a thing for a team that is not yet a playoff team. They'd need to package the pick with someone and I'm not entirely sure that the return would be that great anyway, especially since it means losing next years pick too.

I mean, it's a good draft and if you get #1 you take Cade and if not you still take a good player even if you have to figure out the roster. I'm just saying it's not the end of the world if they just end up losing the pick this year and having a clean slate.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, they've basically bet the farm that Russell and Towns can be the core of a winning team, and the jury's still out on that. Though Anthony Edwards emerging into a true star (which isn't a guarantee) would give them a core that, at least on paper, is well positioned to compete for years.

And right now, it's more about being well positioned to truly compete in 2 years, with next year being a ramp into that.

Beyond the top 3, Beasley looks like a steal on his current contract, assuming he stays out of jail. It wouldn't surprise me if they move him, unless Finch thinks that there's some possibility of having him and Edwards starting side by side, but honestly, I just don't see it. Him plus the pick (and another prospect of necessary) is an interesting trade for a true SF or PF.

Rubio will have value simply because of his expiring contract, there's always a team that'll need to rent a backup PG for a year. I love Ricky but this team doesn't need yet another player that can't shoot.

Who knows what comes back for either of them, but it's possible that Rosas puts together the right pieces and they can win. Just holy poo poo find a long term PF.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If the 'wolves can win the MIles Turner sweepstakes they should, that would fix a lot of problems.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Rick posted:

If the 'wolves can win the MIles Turner sweepstakes they should, that would fix a lot of problems.

I want this to happen so goddamn bad

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
He’d be a good fit but it’d be crazy to give up a top five pick for two years of Miles

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I would hope that they wouldn't do that and that it would be Turner for Malik Beasley and anyone else on the roster they want not names Towns, Russell, or Edwards. Give them Jaden McDaniels as a prospect and toss in a 2nd round pick to make it look nice if you have to.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I love Ricky but expiring contracts aren't really that valuable anymore. He won't get back anything of any value by himself.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1404955662723993603?s=19

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Bimmy Jutler

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1404877050683527171?s=19

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
This would be cool :

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1405178349111197700?s=19

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/MasonGinsberg/status/1405182970470805514?s=20

With that said, making the wrong choice in the first place doesn't inspire the most confidence.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1405184982927265794?s=20

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

With that said, making the wrong choice in the first place doesn't inspire the most confidence.

Was SVG the wrong choice? I mean I don't mind them going after someone else if they think they need to but I thought SVG did a perfectly fine job.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Lockback posted:

Was SVG the wrong choice? I mean I don't mind them going after someone else if they think they need to but I thought SVG did a perfectly fine job.

If you fire him after a single season, then, yes, he was the wrong choice.

FWIW, I don't think he did a bad job. Key franchise players may have already started to tune him out, however.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, that's a decision that just screams internal drama, but everyone involved was professional enough that it didn't leak out.

The only other plausible explanation is some kind of serious health crisis with SVG that he's not wanting public.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
This was a pretty good article: https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans/article_f0914ab6-cec0-11eb-bb26-03c59167339c.html

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1405222947258785797?s=20

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
NEWS DUMP WEDNESDAY

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

Griffin is such a weird mix of good and bad over his career, it's really hard to tell if he's good or not.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The Mavericks really need to start hitting on draft picks if they ever want a chance of contending with Luka, so getting rid of Donny nelson is smart

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

The Mavericks really need to start hitting on draft picks if they ever want a chance of contending with Luka, so getting rid of Donny nelson is smart

Oh you mean the man who drafted Dirk and Luka and...uh, well I'm sure some other people in between there

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Josh Howard and Devin Harris were both legitimately good.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Devin Harris was good for a bit but his best season was with the Nets. Howard was fine.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Rodrigue Beaubois is gonna break out any day now

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I always liked both Harris and Howard but they were also more than 15 years ago at this point. Since then, 1st round only:

2005: No pick, traded for the rights to Pavel Podkolzine
2006: Maurice Ager
2007: No pick, traded as part of a package for Erick Dampier and scraps
2008: No pick, Jason Kidd trade
2009: Rodrigue Beaubois

2010: Dominique Jones
2011: Traded the pick (Jordan Hamilton) for Rudy Fernandez, who never played for the Mavs and was traded in December for a 2nd round pick
2012: Jared Cunningham
2013: Shane Larkin
2014: No pick, Lamar Odom trade

2015: Justin Anderson
2016: No pick, Rajon Rondo trade
2017: Dennis Smith Jr
2018: LUKA DONCIC
2019: No pick, Luka Doncic trade
2020: Josh Green

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Good god

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
That is a Who’s Who of Who??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

A bunch of those picks were late 20s where you probably aren't getting much but that's still really really bad.