Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

chglcu posted:

What self-respecting PC gamer doesn’t have a 4TB SSD these days.

Is this a joke or are these actually affordable now

I have an SSD but it's way smaller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Phlegmish posted:

4 tbs aren't really affordable yet, but 2 tbs are.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Qmass posted:

how come no one ever talks about sunset overdrive ?

I did! I loved it!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

4 tbs aren't really affordable yet, but 2 tbs are.

Oh, nice. I got my current SSD + HDD at a reasonable price, but I keep running out of space like it's 1999 again.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Mordja posted:

I did! I loved it!
I think its really fun and holds up quite well... for less than 30bux AUD seems good, mate.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Phlegmish posted:

It was a joke, but I don't remember spending as much on mine as they're asking for these days. I probably did and forgot about it, though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

couple more demos just went up:

SYNTHETIK 2
Alex Kidd remake
Bear & Breakfast
Dodgeball Academia

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Qmass posted:

how come no one ever talks about sunset overdrive ?

I bring it up occasionally as far as open world games that are pretty drat fun. The traversal mechanics are fantastic and the gameplay is strong. Story is pretty weak and a lot of times it's hard to understand why you are even doing a particular thing, there are so many freaking quests and events all over the place. But yeah, you could do a lot worse than that game

chglcu posted:

It was a joke, but I don't remember spending as much on mine as they're asking for these days. I probably did and forgot about it, though.

Only thing on my SSD are Windows and a few resource intensive programs that are not video games. It hasn't been a problem at all, just somewhat slower loading screens on certain games but nothing crazy. I suppose eventually there will be a lot of games where the actual performance is heavily affected and that basically require SSDs so I'll probably get a larger one eventually

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I bought and tried out Batman: Arkham Asylum a while back when it was on sale. I've only just made it outside of the asylum building, but I'm not really feeling it so far for some reason.

The game is also a lot darker than I had thought. It starts out with the Joker committing loving genocide against the security personnel plus whoever else happens to be around. Just kill him already, come on. This is only a trolley problem in the sense that on one track you have an evil murderous psychopath, and on the other one you have 500 innocent people. I was actually starting to get pissed off (mostly at Batman)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Walking through the asylum and it looks like the goddamn Battle of Stalingrad with all the corpses lying around. Guys, it might be time to call in the army instead of relying on the pacifist bat-themed cosplayer.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The 7th Guest posted:

SYNTHETIK 2

o werd?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Batman called dibs, GPD gotta play by the rules.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Next Fest page is here: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/nextfest

In addition to the usual category browsing that these festivals have, they also have a tag filtering section as well.. it's a liiiittle clunky, but the main issue's just that steam users tag things inaccurately and inappropriately

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Phlegmish posted:

I bought and tried out Batman: Arkham Asylum a while back when it was on sale. I've only just made it outside of the asylum building, but I'm not really feeling it so far for some reason.

The game is also a lot darker than I had thought. It starts out with the Joker committing loving genocide against the security personnel plus whoever else happens to be around. Just kill him already, come on. This is only a trolley problem in the sense that on one track you have an evil murderous psychopath, and on the other one you have 500 innocent people. I was actually starting to get pissed off (mostly at Batman)

Haha, I recently finished Arkham Origins (which canonically takes place a while before Asylum) and he shouldn't even have survived that one. Remember how the movie Batman Begins has "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you" at the end? Well, in Arkham Origins it is "I won't kill you and I will go out of my way to save you from a certain death!"

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

The demo is up in the store for searching, but there's no "gimme that demo" button.
Edit: Nevermind, it works if you can find it on the event page.

But mostly I'm just glad I can finally play Regiments again. Fantastic light-weight RTS.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Orv posted:

Probably cheap Ryzen, 1000 series card and a SATA SSD. 970/980ti probably still will cut it for a little longer if you're fine at 1080 and medium/low.

I'm still rockin a (well overclocked) 4770k and a 980ti like it's 2015 and i haven't run across anything that won't do 1080/60 on high yet. RDR2 was pushing it, but just. Some games I tune down for more frames, like Warzone / Cold War, but stuff like Destiny 2 runs at 90-130fps without doing anything special.

I'd obviously love to upgrade but i still think I can wait a year for the market to unfuck itself.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm still rockin a (well overclocked) 4770k and a 980ti like it's 2015 and i haven't run across anything that won't do 1080/60 on high yet. RDR2 was pushing it, but just. Some games I tune down for more frames, like Warzone / Cold War, but stuff like Destiny 2 runs at 90-130fps without doing anything special.

I'd obviously love to upgrade but i still think I can wait a year for the market to unfuck itself.

Yeah that's pretty great, I admittedly had not kept up with how those cards were doing but the 970 was a monster so it's good that they've stayed solid.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

Haha, I recently finished Arkham Origins (which canonically takes place a while before Asylum) and he shouldn't even have survived that one. Remember how the movie Batman Begins has "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you" at the end? Well, in Arkham Origins it is "I won't kill you and I will go out of my way to save you from a certain death!"

Does the tone of the game change at all, or is it just going to have emotionless loser Batman standing around as the Joker slaughters hundreds of newborn babies, seeing as it would be against his dumbass code of ethics to take action

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Play posted:

Only thing on my SSD are Windows and a few resource intensive programs that are not video games. It hasn't been a problem at all, just somewhat slower loading screens on certain games but nothing crazy. I suppose eventually there will be a lot of games where the actual performance is heavily affected and that basically require SSDs so I'll probably get a larger one eventually

The SSD does help with things like pop in on games that stream stuff from disk during gameplay. I got sick of the balancing act of managing what's on the SSD vs HDD, and I'm not so great with my money so splurged on the big one. Definitely wouldn't consider it a necessity yet, but it is nice to not have to care what's where.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Terra Nil just dropped a demo, though the release date is still TBA. The devs describe it as a "reverse city builder", as it's basically about repairing a post-apocalyptic wasteland by planting forests, creating swamps, irrigating rivers, and so on. Similar to Dorfromantik, it seems to focus on being very relaxing and comfy, and even just the demo is succeeding at it really nicely. Definitely going to keep an eye on it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1593030/Terra_Nil/

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, there's a demo for 40k Battlesector, I know there was some early interest in that.

Oooo, there's one for Carrier Command 2.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Phlegmish posted:

Does the tone of the game change at all, or is it just going to have emotionless loser Batman standing around as the Joker slaughters hundreds of newborn babies, seeing as it would be against his dumbass code of ethics to take action

Nope. The games don't change, the tone doesn't change. The Joker ends up dying in one of the Arkham games, but you can be sure that until his very end Batman tried to find a way to save him.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

SYNTHETIK 2
Alex Kidd remake
Bear & Breakfast
Dodgeball Academia

Is it just me or is there no way to download the Alex Kidd demo? Was looking forward to some nostalgia.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think it's just taking some time to propagate, the synthetik 2 demo is showing in the search results for me but the page it brings you to doesn't seem to have a demo button yet

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Joker during the opening scene: I've had them bring in hundreds of my henchmen so we can rise up and take over the asylum
Batman: What was that?
Joker (louder, enunciating well, submitting his plans in writing): I said we will take over the asylum later tonight, which is extremely obvious even without me saying it, unless you do the bare minimum to stop us
Batman: I'm not sure what you just said, but you'd better not try anything. We haven't taken any precautions whatsoever, and even if we had we wouldn't actually do anything to stop you, so I'm warning you

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Sab669 posted:

It's hard being a gamer with bad ADHD were I just want stimulating combat and rich character building :( I looked at that Wildermyth game someone else was talking to but saw the "Story Rich" tag and just noped out of it :sigh:

Take a look at Urtuk or Battle Brothers. Both have very little story, lots of combat, and decent character building. Unless you hate roguelikes mechanics for some reason.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Walh Hara posted:

Take a look at Urtuk or Battle Brothers. Both have very little story, lots of combat, and decent character building. Unless you hate roguelikes mechanics for some reason.

I put 6 whole hours into Hades :v: Something about the lack of permanence turns me off.

Which is kinda weird, because I loving love DOTA.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Sab669 posted:

I put 6 whole hours into Hades :v: Something about the lack of permanence turns me off.

Which is kinda weird, because I loving love DOTA.

To clarify: a campaign of battle brothers takes 50+ hours, a campaign of urtuk 20 hours. The roguelike mechanics are more "procedural generated worlds", "randomness", and "permadeath".

sad question
May 30, 2020

Phlegmish posted:

Joker during the opening scene: I've had them bring in hundreds of my henchmen so we can rise up and take over the asylum
Batman: What was that?
Joker (louder, enunciating well, submitting his plans in writing): I said we will take over the asylum later tonight, which is extremely obvious even without me saying it, unless you do the bare minimum to stop us
Batman: I'm not sure what you just said, but you'd better not try anything. We haven't taken any precautions whatsoever, and even if we had we wouldn't actually do anything to stop you, so I'm warning you
I urge you to continue, if only to see your reaction to what happens in the ending.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I never thought people would pine for Nolan’s kind of lovely Batman

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm exaggerating, of course. The main reason I'm not feeling it is just that the gameplay's not doing it for me. It's weird because I didn't mind Shadow of Mordor, and as I understand it that game (and a bunch of others) ripped off Batman's combat.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in shadow of mordor's case i don't even think it qualifies as a ripoff, warner brothers owns both rocksteady (arkham games) and monolith (mordor games) and i think essentially said "hey give them your stuff"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, Batman's combat is pretty boring. I loved the stealth sections, though.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

I'm exaggerating, of course. The main reason I'm not feeling it is just that the gameplay's not doing it for me. It's weird because I didn't mind Shadow of Mordor, and as I understand it that game (and a bunch of others) ripped off Batman's combat.

Since it's the first in the series Asylum is kind of a slow burn, combat wise. It takes a while for you to get any interesting gadgets, and then you start to get the corresponding opponents who turn the combat into a puzzle as opposed to a straightforward brawler. If you liked Shadow of Mordor I'd stick with it for a bit. It'll pick up.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Sab669 posted:

I tried xcom after playing gears tactics last year and had a hard time getting into it; GT just felt much more intuitive and controlled better. Hard going from a polished modern game with good UX back to older games.

I realize the Firaxis XCOM reboot is 10 years old already, but you mean that and not the original Xcom, right? The UI doesn't seem particularly dated.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I feel like that's an absolute cliche at this point, Batman refusing to kill the Joker or let him get killed basically means Batman is RESPONSIBLE for every single person Joker killed after the point where he had a chance to let him die. That is CLEARLY not a moral choice, it's downright wrong and the way they strive to have it make sense it always pretty amusing.

It doesn't really fit Batman's character at all either, he is supposed to be more ethically dubious and be willing to do what it takes to stop crime. It exasperates everyone but the truth is they just don't want to lose the Joker as a character and so have to come up with increasingly bizarre scenarios in which somehow he never dies no matter what

Darkrenown posted:

I realize the Firaxis XCOM reboot is 10 years old already, but you mean that and not the original Xcom, right? The UI doesn't seem particularly dated.

I'm positive he means the original, there was just this UFO game that came out that looked a ton like the original XCOMs

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Perestroika posted:

Terra Nil just dropped a demo, though the release date is still TBA. The devs describe it as a "reverse city builder", as it's basically about repairing a post-apocalyptic wasteland by planting forests, creating swamps, irrigating rivers, and so on. Similar to Dorfromantik, it seems to focus on being very relaxing and comfy, and even just the demo is succeeding at it really nicely. Definitely going to keep an eye on it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1593030/Terra_Nil/

While it is real good, I do hope that there is a little more to it in the full game. That said I am guessing that the demo is already a straight port of the itch.io prototype.

Play posted:

It doesn't really fit Batman's character at all either, he is supposed to be more ethically dubious and be willing to do what it takes to stop crime. It exasperates everyone but the truth is they just don't want to lose the Joker as a character and so have to come up with increasingly bizarre scenarios in which somehow he never dies no matter what

Batman has always been a staunch "No Kill" hero, though lets face it, it is usually up to whoever is writing him at the time.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 16, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No he hasn’t not killing and becoming the same as the criminals is central to Batman’s character since the 80s.

It’s not like killing them does anything. Clay face kept dying for various reasons and someone just created a new one

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Killing is wrong.

Horrifically broken bones, concussions, brain damage, and crushed gonads on the other hand is A-OK!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sur le web
Oct 23, 2020

any impressions from the Road 96 and/or Chasing Static demos? I don't really do demos b/c of time reasons and I'd rather just experience the games in their entirety for the first time (as long as they're good)!

also: what the heck is No Longer Home and why does it look _exactly_ like a sunnier Kentucky Route Zero?