Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

porfiria posted:

Was Cloud Atlas as turbo racist as it sounds on paper or no?

No it really wasn't, although yes it was still somewhat problematic. But the movie is about individual souls being reincarnated into different people and they wanted the reincarnations to be played by the same actor each time. So there's a reason for it within the film, it's not like they just did it because they wanted a white actor to play an Asian character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That reaction plus the title being Resurrections makes me hopeful that Neo is resurrected as a purely digital being focusing on the exploration of post-humanism and digital consciousness. That's a lot to pull from a little, but it'd be neat if it did something interesting with those ideas. Especially since it already pulled a decent amount from Ghost in the Shell the first time around.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

porfiria posted:

it's not like they just did it because they wanted a white actor to play an Asian character.
It's cause they wanted to make Halle Berry look like this:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
No Cloud Atlas only Speed Racer.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

feedmyleg posted:

That reaction plus the title being Resurrections makes me hopeful that Neo is resurrected as a purely digital being focusing on the exploration of post-humanism and digital consciousness.

I imagine they went with Resurrections because they're slowly running out of fitting titles beginning with R.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

caligulamprey posted:

It's cause they wanted to make Halle Berry look like this:

And this.

I had also completely forgotten Susan Sarandon plays an Indian guy for 10 seconds.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 16, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Cloud Atlas is real dope and the book is even better.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Yo this website is loving sick and I'm probably gonna spend the rest of the afternoon on it. :rock:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just wrapped a 10 day shoot as a sound man.

Boy are my arms tired.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

They're the same Lana Wachowski :colbert:

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

josh04 posted:

They're the same Lana Wachowski :colbert:

we must accept the whole Lana Wachowski not just the parts we like or are convenient for us.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

If you can't handle me at my Jupiter Ascending you don't deserve me at my Speed Racer?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/paul_posts/status/1404979512929042437?s=19

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Paul Schrader being a massive creep doesn't surprise me in the least.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The movie by the trans lady that portrays race as a construct with no meaning outside our current cultural context is good and the literal opposite of racism actually

(i mean i think the movie is just alright but saying race is as much a fake idea as gender in the campiest, crudest way is good)

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Do you think the reason that Sam Worthington has vanished is because he’s goin’ hog wild on Pandora or because, you know, he wasn’t like the greatest actor?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
He's being held captive by a diabolical Canadian

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cloud Atlas has Yellow Face but only for the corrupt overclass of future Korean society making them all look off-putting and strange while the working class are played by actual Asian actors.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

Cloud Atlas has Yellow Face but only for the corrupt overclass of future Korean society making them all look off-putting and strange while the working class are played by actual Asian actors.

Yeah I feel like I can't say too much being white AF but also in this case, no minority actors were shut out of a job because of the racebending, it's just they get put in *face themselves. There are other issues of representation and caricature but I don't think the film really falls into that either.

I was unaware that Matrix 4 was already done, so I am interested. Though I feel like my general opinion is that the Wachowskis did their best work *after* the trilogy so it almost seems a shame they have to go back to the classics. Maybe this will make money though and they'll instantly use that leverage to do something else insane.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've only actually ever seen Bound and the Matrix trilogy. I haven't seen any of the Wachowski's post Matrix work.

Bound is great because it's a horny as hell movie about lesbian thieves that's also woke as hell for something that came out in 1994ish.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I've only actually ever seen Bound and the Matrix trilogy. I haven't seen any of the Wachowski's post Matrix work.

Bound is great because it's a horny as hell movie about lesbian thieves that's also woke as hell for something that came out in 1994ish.

Speed Racer.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Jupiter Ascending is tons o fun

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Why have I heard of The Legend of the Stardust Brothers? Did somebody say it was good?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It got a lot of good buzz when it picked up for revival distribution a few years back. I've been meaning to catch it since it looks like a blast, but I think it was only able to be bought and not rented when I last looked.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Alec Eiffel posted:

Do you think the reason that Sam Worthington has vanished is because he’s goin’ hog wild on Pandora or because, you know, he wasn’t like the greatest actor?

It really seems like every five years or so Hollywood really tries to push an absolute nothing as the next big star.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anyone know of a good gif making program or site? I used imgur's own video to gif but when I post them here the dimensions are huge.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It really seems like every five years or so Hollywood really tries to push an absolute nothing as the next big star.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 17, 2021

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

https://twitter.com/martinmherlihy/status/1390336302399332356?s=20

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still glad that the world was able to unite and take a stand against Dane DeHaan.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

caligulamprey posted:

Still glad that the world was able to unite and take a stand against Dane DeHaan.

America's very polite refusal to let Britain give us Russel Brand was the last time I was proud of this country.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
This list is garbage.

https://twitter.com/jack_hamilton/status/1405511120035663876?s=19

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh every network sitcom that released in that time is in the top 20 you say? wow tell me more, list

(at least they put Review as their top "toughest omission" but it deserves to be way higher than a lot of that trash)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Seems like a reasonable list of "American TV shows I have heard people on twitter recommend, that are sometimes funny"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s a pretty great list. But I do agree that there should have been at least one McBride show on there. Disappointing lack of You’re the Worst, too.

Better Things is amazing and everyone should watch it

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

there's no way there are 21 good TV comedies

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s a pretty great list. But I do agree that there should have been at least one McBride show on there. Disappointing lack of You’re the Worst, too.

Better Things is amazing and everyone should watch it

It makes sense to exclude You're the Worst from lists of best comedies since it decided to stop being a comedy in the second season.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Weirdly, I decided to stop watching very early into the third!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

It makes sense to exclude You're the Worst from lists of best comedies since it decided to stop being a comedy in the second season.

I disagree! I mean obviously it delves into more dramatic elements but it still remains hilarious throughout. There are shows billed as comedies that definitely have issues with not being very funny at all, but I think the list has for the most part done a better job of listing the actual funny ones like Atlanta. A worse example is something like One Mississippi, Tig Notaro’s show, although I still liked that.

Generally I really like that shows are getting more experimental and blending genres more and don’t really understand this “HOW DARE COMEDY NO HAVE TEN JOKES A MINUTE” mindset. There are plenty of shows that still do. There’s just more that don’t now. There’s something for everyone! That’s the beauty of it!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone know of a good gif making program or site? I used imgur's own video to gif but when I post them here the dimensions are huge.

I've heard good things about gifcam.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I usually use GIFcam. It's fairly straightforward. You're basically selecting a part of your screen for it to record and GIFify. Which usually means resizing the video to fit under the gif area and then hit REC until you've got what you want. Then before you save it and convert the captured frames into a gif you can go through and delete anything you don't want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Assuming that there are at least as many exclusions on that list as inclusions, it must be a lie.

I refuse to believe that any person has watched forty TV comedy series in their entirety - let alone more than that. Just finishing The Office put me off television for years.