Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I always thought this argument was meant to be taken with a grain of salt. Yes, the colonialism is undeniable, but Farouk was a supervillainous rapist murderer. One with a self justifying narrative about honour and dignity and sovereignty and blah blah blah, but lol at him making the claim for fairness and justice.

The murder is baked into his existence so I get villain, but not supervillain. He's more like Grendel or similar cursed historical monster who'd prefer to be left alone.

As I understand it, he's more expressly evil in the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Rewatching Letterkenny and oh man hicks and Indians v. Nazis is the greatest poo poo ever.
I’ve been doing the same thing and just got to that episode. It’s fantastic.

Philthy posted:

There a specific term for this? A lot of successful people tend to think since they're really good at X, they will be good at Y and move on and generally fail hard. Some realize they were only ever supposed to do X for their entire lives and return, and the rest just get angry/confused/lost and continue to fail. See: Musicians, Game Devs, Traditional Artists, Politicians.
I think the Peter Principle covers this. People rise to their level of incompetence.

I’ve been rewatching Dirk Gently and it’s a shame Landis was an rear end in a top hat because its such a great show. I’m on season 2 and I totally forgot about Tina Tevetino. The entire cast is amazing.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Slamhound posted:

I’ve been doing the same thing and just got to that episode. It’s fantastic.

S'goden. S'dothis.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

S'goden. S'dothis.
Yer a bit fuckin dramatic, eh?

I also realized that we haven’t seen Gus in a few seasons. Hope he’s okay, he’s on the home stretch.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Shageletic posted:

Still feel super bad about the sister. Never really any sort of closure for that

Legion definitely does that thing bad 'Thriller' shows do where characters allegiances turn on a dime and there's one too many of them to feel great about it.

There's probably a trope for that, but the BBC's Utopia comes to mind as the worst offender of that – brilliant opening, then just one twist too many and suddenly the guy commits a school shooting is a good guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01VGtX9xfh0

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Slamhound posted:

I’ve been rewatching Dirk Gently and it’s a shame Landis was an rear end in a top hat because its such a great show. I’m on season 2 and I totally forgot about Tina Tevetino. The entire cast is amazing.

Yup it was good. And he was very shitt

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

The World Inferno posted:

Legion definitely does that thing bad 'Thriller' shows do where characters allegiances turn on a dime and there's one too many of them to feel great about it.

There's probably a trope for that, but the BBC's Utopia comes to mind as the worst offender of that – brilliant opening, then just one twist too many and suddenly the guy commits a school shooting is a good guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01VGtX9xfh0

I mean, part of the point of Utopia was the entire cast was broken, awful people. Arby is only "good" insofar that he turns against the antagonists. Jessica Hyde also did some really hosed up poo poo before the show's start, too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So Loki is the third straight D+ Marvel show to break their streaming records (so they say) but I believe it because they announced that they are moving ALL new premieres to Wednesdays

The article also notes that Netflix shows typically, sigh, "bow" on Fridays so that's probably a factor as well.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Slamhound posted:

I really wish we had gotten more.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Seriously, Dirk Gently had hands-down the best villain-reveal speech ever:

https://youtu.be/hU5g7IgaaQQ

Spoilers, obviously.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

zoux posted:

So Loki is the third straight D+ Marvel show to break their streaming records (so they say) but I believe it because they announced that they are moving ALL new premieres to Wednesdays

The article also notes that Netflix shows typically, sigh, "bow" on Fridays so that's probably a factor as well.

Disney made a Short Circuit TV show, and it's already on season 2? I haven't heard about this at all.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's not the racist indian one.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Unrelated to the movie.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Vanderdeath posted:

I mean, part of the point of Utopia was the entire cast was broken, awful people. Arby is only "good" insofar that he turns against the antagonists. Jessica Hyde also did some really hosed up poo poo before the show's start, too.
Utopia (not the dreadful US version) is a good show but yeah.... everyone is terrible. Best parts about it are the way it is filmed and shot. Still hate we didn't get more but it wasn't the first or worst case of cancelled too soon.

Slamhound posted:

Absolutely and I can't think of a one that doesn't just go all out. Fiona Dourif was my favourite as the holistic assassin but really everyone was great. The whole show was really well done and I HATE that it is tied to a truly wretched creator as now all those performances and work by a ton of people will be memory holed. Frustrating as I want more but doubtful unless Max Landis gets a pass which...gently caress that. Plus I doubt they get most of the cast and crew back and then you lose that certain quality that made it so endearing.

Side question: is Crave/HBO being even buggier than normal for any other Canuckleheads out there? Seems worse today than normal.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sean Bean is in a prison drama mini series called Time and it's surprisingly good. He's playing against type and plays an unusually sensitive and grief stricken drunk driver serving 5 years. It's one of those dramas that shows all kinds of problems with the prison system but there's no solution in the foreseeable future. Parts of it reminds me of The Wire since even the prison guards acknowledge stuff like how half the prisoners should be getting mental help but nothing is available so no help is coming. I think it won't become a big hit in the US though because the British accents are super thick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YQ7_yIVtbU

Despite watching all kind of shocking prison stuff like Oz or The Night Of I think this show manages to be pretty harrowing. It's a BBC show so it's not going to be as graphic.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

DogsInSpace! posted:

Absolutely and I can't think of a one that doesn't just go all out. Fiona Dourif was my favourite as the holistic assassin but really everyone was great.
Fiona Dourif was awesome. Bart was like a Coen Brothers level implacable villain. And when she got stabbed and freaked out because it was the first time she’d been hurt, that was seriously affecting and upsetting.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mu Zeta posted:

Sean Bean is in a prison drama mini series called Time and it's surprisingly good. He's playing against type and plays an unusually sensitive and grief stricken drunk driver serving 5 years. It's one of those dramas that shows all kinds of problems with the prison system but there's no solution in the foreseeable future. Parts of it reminds me of The Wire since even the prison guards acknowledge stuff like how half the prisoners should be getting mental help but nothing is available so no help is coming. I think it won't become a big hit in the US though because the British accents are super thick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YQ7_yIVtbU

Despite watching all kind of shocking prison stuff like Oz or The Night Of I think this show manages to be pretty harrowing. It's a BBC show so it's not going to be as graphic.

Is the 3 episodes all of it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's BBC so there will be a christmas special and a second series in 2028

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

The World Inferno posted:

Utopia was nothing to do with the BBC.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aardvark! posted:

Is the 3 episodes all of it?

Yeah

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sentinel Red posted:

Utopia was nothing to do with the BBC.

Came from England, means its BBC.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

It was a BBC at least

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

zoux posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets annoyed by this term.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
First I've ever seen it used that way... how is it even meant to be said? Bow like the egyptian ranged weapon? Bow like the once lil Bow Wow? Bow like the gesture you make your enemies and subordinates do before addressing you to maintain the sociopolitical hierarchy?

quote:

The June 11 premiere schedule offered a good example of such competition as Netflix bowed part two of its global hit Lupin; Disney-owned Hulu launched the second season of its Love, Simon sequel, Love, Victor; and Apple launched the sophomore run of drama Home Before Dark. Loki bowed out of that race and launched two days earlier against no other major launches.

Even worse here is in the sentence after they use "bowed" again, but in the way humans normally use that word, to say it's exiting something. That or they're intetionally doing some wordplay, which seems like cheating since they decided to use a made-up unclear definition of bow to make that wordplay even be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Khanstant posted:

First I've ever seen it used that way... how is it even meant to be said? Bow like the egyptian ranged weapon? Bow like the once lil Bow Wow? Bow like the gesture you make your enemies and subordinates do before addressing you to maintain the sociopolitical hierarchy?

Like the theater term.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Mars: One Day on the Red Planet is an absolutely beautiful documentary. I think for most people who have the impression they've been keeping up enough with all the Mars news, it'll still contain a lot of information that's incredibly surprising. Like they discovered these primitive bacteria in Ethiopian highly acidic brine pools that are 20 times smaller than any previously known bacteria in the 2010s, the same size as in the 1996 Martian meteorite which NASA jumped the gun as saying was evidence of life

The whole "One Day" theme was some marketing gimmick, more like "A Tour of the Red Planet" and they just arbitrarily assigned hours to each destination

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 17, 2021

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Man, I am kind of lukewarm on Mythic Quest overall, but when it lands, it loving lands. The two most recent episodes absolutely flattened me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The murder is baked into his existence so I get villain, but not supervillain. He's more like Grendel or similar cursed historical monster who'd prefer to be left alone.

As I understand it, he's more expressly evil in the comics.

Wasn't he some kind of psychic despot though? In show, not in the comic, I've not read it.

I remember the implication that his reign was characterised by harsh mind violence and hanging with sexy ladies (who, you know, couldn't possibly consent, because who could possibly say no to The Sun).

If he's not a supervillain, it's only because he's not blowing up American banks or harassing British mind magicians -- which i always thought was one of Legion's more interesting points.

wizardofloneliness posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets annoyed by this term.

Mood. You don't "bow in" (which is effectively what Netflix is doing when they orrmier a bunch of episodes). You "bow out". It's a poor neologism.

Mu Zeta posted:

Jimmy McGovern is a loving good writer.

Anyone ITT ever watched Cracker? It's a more hosed up Colombo by McGovern, with the added benefit of the romantic leads being played by Hagrid and Lilly Potter. Christopher Eccelston too.

First two episodes are okay, and the show got worse after McGovern left (but not, for the most part, bad). But the show's a loving classic IMO.

Accused, which also had Sean Bean (and Olivia Coleman, Mark Warren, Christopher Eccelston) was really good too.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I am absolutely loving Kevin Can gently caress Himself.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It's out? My calendar has it starting on the 20th.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess they put the first two episodes up early somewhere. I can see them on my site. Looking forward to starting later!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've no idea what happened to everyone on Why Women Kill this week, but there are some utterly terrible performances.

What the hell was with the insane clutching Nick Frost and Allison Tolman were doing with each other? It's like they've escaped a very bad kid's show.

And Mathew Daddario could never act, but that fake crying was a whole new level of wtf.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m watching it right now actually. I like how at this point Tolman has less of a moral center than Frost, the actual serial killer.

The performances are very broad but I figure that’s Cherry trying to make everyone as soap opera-esque as possible.

Excited to check out the return of DAVE. I am still mildly furious that my least favourite rapper of all time made such a great first season of a show tbh

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m watching it right now actually. I like how at this point Tolman has less of a moral center than Frost, the actual serial killer.

The performances are very broad but I figure that’s Cherry trying to make everyone as soap opera-esque as possible.

Yeah I'm just finishing it off and it got better. I think the scene at the neighbour's house was just a bit poorly judged. Tolman had some really great scenes in the back half; I audibly gasped when she swore.

The season's got more than a touch of The Talented Mr Ripley to it, and I loving love it.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Really loving Mare of Easttown so far, seeing Kate Winslet's character constantly vaping cracks me the hell up. also i am thankful for the recommendations on this forum, i don't think I would've given it a shot otherwise as the way it was described on hbo made it sound like something i wouldn't really like.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

HOLY gently caress posted:

Really loving Mare of Easttown so far, seeing Kate Winslet's character constantly vaping cracks me the hell up. also i am thankful for the recommendations on this forum, i don't think I would've given it a shot otherwise as the way it was described on hbo made it sound like something i wouldn't really like.

If you enjoy crime mysteries like Mare, I HIGHLY recommend The Killing on netflix. Originally was on AMC then got 4th season on netflix.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Slamhound posted:

The Stephen Mangan version was so much better tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToGEn86u93g

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

If you enjoy crime mysteries like Mare, I HIGHLY recommend The Killing on netflix. Originally was on AMC then got 4th season on netflix.

Yess, this totally looks like my thing, thank you!! :buddy:

Fickle Isthmus
Aug 2, 2003

I've not turned up yet 'ave I?
I watched some Penguin Town last night and woof is the writing cringe. I get that they are turning specific penguins into characters so the viewer can keep track, but the first fifteen minutes leans heavily on, I guess I would describe as 'phrases people who use Facebook think are hip'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The original, maybe. AMC's version was pretty terrible, especially if you go in expecting something the quality of Mare of Easttown.