Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Lol you can thank the cub holy crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
The rescue was, uh wild. I spent the whole time wondering when someone was going to call professionals or even her dad.

I super loved the way the colours changed later though.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Next time your family member falls in a ditch, don't call 911, call your local Honda (R) dealer.

SeanGaffney
Mar 16, 2002
Nomad of the Time Streams
Honestly, I thought not calling the ambulance and just doing it all with her and her Super Cub was 100% in character for Koguma.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
oh absolutely

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

She didn't even give her her coat while she drove her back!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its a rewrite from the manga. in the manga koguma wants to call an ambulance but shii-chan stops her cause she feels guilty about breaking her dad's expensive bike and doesn't want to worry her parents. she also princess carries shii-chan

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Davincie posted:

its a rewrite from the manga. in the manga koguma wants to call an ambulance but shii-chan stops her cause she feels guilty about breaking her dad's expensive bike and doesn't want to worry her parents. she also princess carries shii-chan

This is a much more human scene rather than this weird thing we got in today's show.

Koguma just comes off as this weird alien who's totally unconcerned with the safety of Shii as she takes her time getting her out of the water, leaves her shivering on the side of the road while she calls her friend to ask if she wants to hang out at her place, and then drives the girl suffering from hypothermia back to her place in wet clothing without offering her coat in the basket of her bike while refusing to call emergency services.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 17, 2021

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

This is a much more human scene rather than this weird thing we got in today's show.

Koguma just comes off as this weird alien who's totally unconcerned with the safety of Shii as she takes her time getting her out of the water, leaves her shivering on the side of the road while she calls her friend to ask if she wants to hang out at her place, and then drives the girl suffering from hypothermia back to her place in wet clothing without offering her coat in the basket of her bike while refusing to call emergency services.

You either die on the cub or live long enough to become a monster.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've been convinced to read the super cub manga over watching the anime

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i do enjoy the anime pacing and satie's gymnopedie no1

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the anime is really well directed it's just the script can get stiff and i cant tell to what extent that's intentional / inherited from the LN

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i was going to say "in the anime's defense..." for a bit in regards to how the characters are approached but then i realized colonel was just thinking about the princess carry

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Space Flower posted:

i was going to say "in the anime's defense..." for a bit in regards to how the characters are approached but then i realized colonel was just thinking about the princess carry

She does still princess carry her in the anime when she dumps Shii into her basket.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
For anyone watching Cramer, Crunchyroll has the movie up and I’d definitely recommend giving it a go. There’s a bunch of events that got referenced in the anime and I think it’s pretty clear they wanted this out before the anime but that didn’t happen. It actually shows us Onda being drat good at soccer (they finally hit that point in the anime as well, like, 10 episodes in). It’s a fun movie that really explores why Onda cares so much about soccer and her style of soccer.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

13 minutes of wondering why everyone complained about this joran ep, then spent the rest of it laughing in disbelief

there is something kind of amazing about landing on roughly the proper ending but by taking the stupidest route possible

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, slightly worse than pulling a homer then?

Julias posted:

Going to work on the next seasonal thread this weekend. As is tradition, if you have any thread title recommendations, feel free to drop them in this thread.

For reference, here's the shows next season:
https://anichart.net/Summer-2021
https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2021/summer
Magical Summer 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Summer 2021 Will Not Be Discouraged

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Summer 2021: The boydols of summer

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Summer 2021: Maidragon S(ummer)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jouran's has the potential to be good, some good visuals, decent plots points, action...yet it didn't come together at all and the end result is a pretty bad show. Probably the best looking bad show I've watched in awhile as recent ones have been production disasters as well as being bad

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Summer 2021: please, no maidragon discourse

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

koguma is in general a lot nicer/sociable in some ways then the original work, which have a combination of her being socially incapable and her mentioning she does not care about others in general. in other ways they amplified her social incapability, for instance the scene where she drags the other schools teacher out to her cub without a word has her talk together with reiko to her in the manga

they also cleaned up a lot of the rougher edges from the original work to make it more advertiser friendly, like mentions of her mom, the nudism and the murder

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Davincie posted:

they also cleaned up a lot of the rougher edges from the original work to make it more advertiser friendly, like mentions of her mom, the nudism and the murder

The what now? :stare:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fangz posted:

Summer 2021: please, no maidragon discourse
Summer 2021: We won't shut up about Maidragon again

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Davincie posted:

Excuse me

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Davincie posted:

Blood for the Cub God.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

a lot happens in super cub

big on the survivalism and diy originally

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Davincie posted:

Is that supposed to be Morticia Addams

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Davincie posted:

Morticia Addams?

-edit gently caress beaten

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

There being a Kanojo mo Kanojo anime seemingly out of nowhere leads me to:

Summer 2021: Polyanime

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Regarding Super Cub, I'm just gonna crosspost from twitter:

Koguma's handling of the rescue was patently awful but also a sharp bit of writing as a natural extension of who Koguma is. Her extreme isolation & lack of people to rely on has given her a wilful independence that leads her to try & solve problems by herself, but she's been totally reliant on her cub as a crutch for interacting with the outside world in any capacity, unable to consider even basic modes of concern that don't involve it as a mediator. Calling an ambulance isn't even part of her available grammar. (Note the externalizing language she keeps using: "My cub is coming", "thank my cub" etc.) Just letting the others into her home, her safe space, is a big step and clearly puts strain on her, she's totally emotionally ill-equipped to deal with Shii's entire situation

It's wild for an Iyashikei work to put its protag on a spot like this where all her worst qualities & insufficiencies are magnified to an extent that legit puts another's life at risk, but it works super well for contextualizing the end of the ep, where she becomes very aware of those and how far Shii is actually ahead of her as someone who can reach out to people intuitively & climb out of a depressive funk on her own resources without rebuilding her entire personality around A Honda Product™

(I do think it would've been interesting if this event put a strain on Koguma & Shii's relationship, but also I get that Shii is extremely the kind of person who'd see Koguma's approach as cool & mature rather than dangerously irresponsible)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Robviously posted:

There being a Kanojo mo Kanojo anime seemingly out of nowhere leads me to:

Summer 2021: Polyanime
Holy poo poo what?!

Now I want an anime about the girl and guy that are 110% super extra about everything and the girl who crushes on the guy with touch-psychic powers and Musou Tensei!

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Robviously posted:

There being a Kanojo mo Kanojo anime seemingly out of nowhere

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
im sleeping until one of the new wave of poly lesbian manga gets animated

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Terry van Feleday posted:

Regarding Super Cub, I'm just gonna crosspost from twitter:

Koguma's handling of the rescue was patently awful but also a sharp bit of writing as a natural extension of who Koguma is. Her extreme isolation & lack of people to rely on has given her a wilful independence that leads her to try & solve problems by herself, but she's been totally reliant on her cub as a crutch for interacting with the outside world in any capacity, unable to consider even basic modes of concern that don't involve it as a mediator. Calling an ambulance isn't even part of her available grammar. (Note the externalizing language she keeps using: "My cub is coming", "thank my cub" etc.) Just letting the others into her home, her safe space, is a big step and clearly puts strain on her, she's totally emotionally ill-equipped to deal with Shii's entire situation

It's wild for an Iyashikei work to put its protag on a spot like this where all her worst qualities & insufficiencies are magnified to an extent that legit puts another's life at risk, but it works super well for contextualizing the end of the ep, where she becomes very aware of those and how far Shii is actually ahead of her as someone who can reach out to people intuitively & climb out of a depressive funk on her own resources without rebuilding her entire personality around A Honda Product™

(I do think it would've been interesting if this event put a strain on Koguma & Shii's relationship, but also I get that Shii is extremely the kind of person who'd see Koguma's approach as cool & mature rather than dangerously irresponsible)

I dunno man. Everyone around her, and even Shii's parents seems to think she did an awesome bang up job in her rescue. I don't think the author was making a point about Koguma being incredibly socially inept to the point of nearly killing Shii. I think it was supposed to be a legitimately heroic rescue.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Isn't the series sponsored by Honda?

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Nitrousoxide posted:

I dunno man. Everyone around her, and even Shii's parents seems to think she did an awesome bang up job in her rescue. I don't think the author was making a point about Koguma being incredibly socially inept to the point of nearly killing Shii. I think it was supposed to be a legitimately heroic rescue.
The sequence itself isn't portrayed like that though, like Koguma doesn't even give Shii her jacket as would be the bare minimum for a heroic rescue, and then walks away from the miserably crumpled up Shii to awkwardly stand around & call up Reiko.
Like Shii's parents are happy but of course they found out about it after everything had turned out fine, I imagine if they'd seen it in the moment their opinion would've been different
But moreover in that reading the end of the episode makes no sense to me, having her do a triumphant rescue and then right after realize the helpless rescuee is actually way cooler than her doesn't add up

Fangz posted:

Isn't the series sponsored by Honda?
yeah it's straight up a honda ad and not subtle about it, but it's also a lot more earnest than that description would have you believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mean Yurucamp is also a thinly veiled camping equipment and tourist attraction ad, it's not really necessarily an indictment IMO as long as you handle it well enough. Super Cub mostly gets it right though it does sort of contribute to some tone issues like the past ep in a sense.