Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Just found out today that if you do Faust's What Could it Be super, but do 3 QCF's instead of two, it will eat your whole meter and throw out 10 items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

oh sweet. that was in xrd too but i didn't think they kept it for this game

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
potemkin sucks unless hes got some godlike hidden tech

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

One thing that frustrates me about Ram is her beam super. For some reason I can't get it to consistently come out. There's something about the QCB + F motion that just isn't working right, at least for me. I can see myself doing the motion consistently in training mode, yet only 1/10 times does it actually activate.

I would say you're probably just doing it too fast. That's what I find when my inputs aren't working.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

One thing that frustrates me about Ram is her beam super. For some reason I can't get it to consistently come out. There's something about the QCB + F motion that just isn't working right, at least for me. I can see myself doing the motion consistently in training mode, yet only 1/10 times does it actually activate.

Because the input isn't quarter-circle back + forward, it's half-circle back + forward.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I’m trying to get my head around Leo ‘cause I think he looks cool. Any tips?

My friend and I had like a dozen matches last night with my Leo against his Sol, and I think I lost all but one of them but had a great time regardless.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

house of the dad posted:

Ran into my first teabagger who managed to lose 2-1. And it was his axl and my leo. Ha ha!!

Wait, what? How does one teabag in this game?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Same way you do in every game.

That reminds me of the Killer Instinct AI that learned teabagging from player matches.

EDIT: surely crouching on top of someone who is knocked down doesn't strike you as an impossibility?

Chev fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 17, 2021

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Huh, I guess I don't understand that at all.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Chev posted:

EDIT: surely crouching on top of someone who is knocked down doesn't strike you as an impossibility?

I suck at this game. If I knock someone down, I'm trying to get the gently caress away.

I have literally never played an online fighting game before today and had a hell of a good time playing this game today and did what I thought was kneeling in the pixel lobby afterwards, but I guess I was probably being a dick. Sucks because I explained to my kid at the time I was being polite after a fashion, and now I've got to explain how I can't be polite anymore because of balls stuff.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Wrote a quick summary of the cast for the OP, let me know if I missed anything

quote:

SOL
The guilty gear, and the game's protagonist. Sol has the playstyle of an aggressive 'shoto,' with a strike invincible uppercut, a slow fireball and a command grab. Strong pressure and counterpoke options, Sol shines up-close and in the mid-range. Can convert many of his hits into relatively easy, high damage combos.

KY
Sol's rival, he's a king afflicted with a Gear-related venereal disease. Ky is another shoto with slightly better mid-to-long range options compared to Sol, though he can't pressure up-close to the same extent. He can Dragon Install at low health to boost many of his options, at the cost of crippling his meter gain.

MAY
Pirate girl who swings a giant anchor and enlists the help of sea creatures. Brawler character. Her attacks are hugely threatening at midrange, she has a strong jump-in game and her dolphins can launch her right into the opponents.

AXL
An unlucky englishman who plays a zoning game with his sickles. He can control big parts of the screen, including the air, but he can have a hard time with up-close defense.

CHIPP
A ninja and former drug addict who is now a president. Pixie character with fast movement and varied approach and mixup options. Has a rekka, speedy crossup moves and a DP. Notoriously low health.

POTEMKIN
A presidential guard from Zepp, he's the game's grappler. Big, slow and can break you in half with his command throw, the Potemkin Buster. Can't dash, instead he can charge forward with his armored Hammer Fall.

FAUST
Doctor who has seen better days. Can poke effectively at long range with his scalpel, and he has strong anti-air options. Can throw random items to shake up the state of the game, usually in Faust's favor. He's a big target and his defensive options are a bit lacking.

MILLIA
An assassin with magical, shapeshifting hair. She is a mixup character with high mobility and can lock down the opponent on knockdown with her Tandem Top. Low health and somewhat low damage.

ZATO
Formerly dead guy who traded his vision to summon a demon, Eddie. A puppet character, you control both Zato and Eddie at the same time when your shadow is out, triggering Eddie's attacks by releasing buttons (negative edge). One of the more technical characters, Zato is reliant on his summon. He can also fly. When things are going well, Zato can lock down the opponent, but he can have a hard time getting out of a bad situation.

RAMLETHAL
Basically a living weapon, a tiny girl with followed around by tiny imps carrying greatswords. She can swing her swords to cover a long distance on the ground, or shoot them at the opponent, leaving her swordless until she picks them back up or she waits a few seconds for Lucifero to bring them back. Strong corner pressure, and good at getting wallbreaks from midscreen or even further out.

LEO
Another king, Leo enjoys writing words into his dictionary. He is a rushdown character who can swing his twin swords at midrange, and switch to back-turned stance to open up the opponent with an overhead, side switches and a command throw. He can't block in this stance, but he gains a counter move to stomp out attempts to challenge him in backturn. His mobility leaves something to be desired, though he has a few attacks which move him forward or even cross-up.

NAGORIYUKI
Huge samurai vampire. He has big, slow sword attacks that are some of the longest reaching in the game. He can't dash normally or double jump, but he has specials which let him teleport. He can also cancel specials into each other, but beware: using his specials fills his Blood meter, and if he fills that up he enters Bloodrage, which leaves him vulnerable on activation, drains his health rapidly and locks out his specials. However it does lengthen his attacks and unlocks a unique super. Managing his Blood meter is an important part of playing Nago.

GIOVANNA
Secret service agent who fights alongside her dog. She is an up-close fighter with tools to quickly approach the opponent and keep up the pressure on block. At full meter she gains enhanced damage and defense. Somewhat vulnerable to zoning.

ANJI
Japanese guy with fans. His gameplan relies upon Fuujin, a do-everything special move with multiple followups. He can also throw a butterfly projectile to keep the opponent blocking on their wakeup. Some of his moves have autoguard, opening up unique punish opportunities. Not quite as good at neutral as some other characters, he relies a bit on reads and conditioning the opponent.

I-NO
Cruel, horny witch lady. Some gamers™ are upset that she doesn't take her top off anymore. She has a darkstalkers-esque hover dash which enables high-low mixups, plus the low-profile Stroke the Big Tree. She can also throw out a Note to keep the opponent blocking while she hovers in for a mixup. Fairly vulnerable on defense, and to anti-airs on her approach.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Fix posted:

I suck at this game. If I knock someone down, I'm trying to get the gently caress away.

Knocking someone down is a prime opportunity to hit them when they get back up again! I don't know about other characters but if you're May you can knock them down and immediately do the walrus beachball summon and the timing should make it slap them on the head as soon as they stand up again.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Fix posted:

I have literally never played an online fighting game before today and had a hell of a good time playing this game today and did what I thought was kneeling in the pixel lobby afterwards, but I guess I was probably being a dick. Sucks because I explained to my kid at the time I was being polite after a fashion, and now I've got to explain how I can't be polite anymore because of balls stuff.

If you knock someone down, the go-to strategy is to ..

Reiley posted:

Knocking someone down is a prime opportunity to hit them when they get back up again! I don't know about other characters but if you're May you can knock them down and immediately do the walrus beachball summon and the timing should make it slap them on the head as soon as they stand up again.

e:fb

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Reiley posted:

Thank you for the advice, I am playing (pink) Gio for the time being, and it is rad as hell.

Fix fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 17, 2021

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

dhamster posted:

Reorganized the OP a bit, added this and some other stuff. Are there any especially good beginner's guides out there? There seem to be several already due to clout/click chasing, but I can link a few in the OP if they're any good. I put in some higher-level resources for now.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

dhamster posted:

Ram is Sol's adopted daughter (also, likes hamburgers and her dog. Also mad cute). Potemkin's also an ex-slave. Chipp is a huge weeb. I dunno whether you really wanna go with the STD joke for Ky, or the much more grounded actual explanation that he swapped an eye with his part gear son to help him in life.

Faust is at his apex I dunno what you're on.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I hit a low Faust with my Nago super 100% and he hit me with a loving wheelchair in the shin as it came out and I nearly died in real life...

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

JBP posted:

I hit a low Faust with my Nago super 100% and he hit me with a loving wheelchair in the shin as it came out and I nearly died in real life...

I lost it so hard at Giovanna's reaction to this when I was playing against a Faust that I didn't realize the super hadn't KO'd me and lost the match

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

anime was right posted:

potemkin sucks unless hes got some godlike hidden tech

I mean....do you count being able to Kara Cancel Potbuster......as well as like every other one of his specials as hidden tech?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

dhamster posted:

I would chuckle at I-No's but since I've started watching Guilty Gear stuff on YouTube it tried to recommend me a video of somebody complaining about exactly that.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Potemkin's a grappler that's just how they are but I dunno I've been putting in work with him.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
Is there a way to ensure that my supers confirm into my opponents more reliably?

Everytime I tried to ⚡ Ride The Lightning ⚡ my opponent, they manage to block it and I end up eating a big fat combo in return. :smith:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

shoc77 posted:

Is there a way to ensure that my supers confirm into my opponents more reliably?

Everytime I tried to ⚡ Ride The Lightning ⚡ my opponent, they manage to block it and I end up eating a big fat combo in return. :smith:

Try doing it after you land a faster and safer move first, it's called a hit confirm. You poke or pressure with a couple of fast normals until your opponent gets hit by one, then you combo (in this game you can just hit like heavy slash) and then do the super for Massive Damage.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Roach Warehouse posted:

I’m trying to get my head around Leo ‘cause I think he looks cool. Any tips?

My friend and I had like a dozen matches last night with my Leo against his Sol, and I think I lost all but one of them but had a great time regardless.

Reject your humanity embrace monke

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is there a way to make the training mode stage/music random by default?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

It may be more worth your meter to super during wallstick than as a generic confirm, since you get oki afterward. Otherwise a lot of characters can use the meter to get a much better conversion if they RC into stuff.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Chev posted:

Ram is Sol's adopted daughter (also, likes hamburgers and her dog. Also mad cute). Potemkin's also an ex-slave. Chipp is a huge weeb. I dunno whether you really wanna go with the STD joke for Ky, or the much more grounded actual explanation that he swapped an eye with his part gear son to help him in life.

Faust is at his apex I dunno what you're on.

I'll edit some stuff, I forgot about the eye thing.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

dhamster posted:

I'll edit some stuff, I forgot about the eye thing.

Please add that May loves Johnny and wishes (like all of us) that he was in the game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man, swapping an eye with Sin is infinitely lazier and less fun than Ky contracting Gear DNA with his uwu Gear wife

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I haven't played a serious notSmash fighter in over a decade largely because I lost contact with or moved away from the people I played with and I live in Western Australia so online was a bit of a non-starter. All the talk of the rollback convinced me to give StrIVe a go and I've been having a blast.

I suck but matchmaking seems to be putting me with my own level so I've been having fun slamming people into the mud as Potemkin.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

Reiley posted:

Ah yes, the Chumbawumba technique

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
How is this game for fighting game noobs? On PC if that matters.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Saki posted:

If you're totally new to fighting games then everything is gonna seem way too fast at first and you'll be wondering why the stupid dolphin girl keeps hitting you and you can't hit her back, BUT the game is fun and enough people are playing it at all skill levels that you'll find plenty of people who are just as clueless as you.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Saki posted:

I've been having fun and I pretty much am.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Even though the method for getting into matches online is bad, the online service for Strive is really good at putting you into lobbies with equally skilled players. Even if I lose, I don't lose by that much. The fighters also do not have a lot of moves to learn and memorize, and I think that helps a lot with the intimidation factor being low.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Saki posted:

It's good. You can win games quite regularly just by hitting buttons at the right time so you don't have to worry too much about doing tons of fighting game motions while you learn. Also if you get into it now there are thousands of other terrible new people playing right now.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

A Sometimes Food posted:

I've been having fun and I pretty much am.

Same experience. I'm no good but I seem to get matched with people at my level. I really liked Xrd but online people were all waaaayy better than me to the point of frustration.

It is cool to be on the other side of the exchange where I'm playing the spinny fan man and the opponent starts getting scared to poke at me.

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009

Saki posted:

this is arguably the best fighting game to get started with ever. you can start doing cool stuff with just a little bit of practice, and there is a huge playerbase of other noobs with netcode good enough to actually play them to learn at your own pace

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

If you're totally new to fighting games then everything is gonna seem way too fast at first and you'll be wondering why the stupid dolphin girl keeps hitting you and you can't hit her back, BUT the game is fun and enough people are playing it at all skill levels that you'll find plenty of people who are just as clueless as you.

TBF watching Levo last weekend a LOT of people are having trouble with the dolphin girl. Even see the thread title for that one

The game is insanely fun though, and honestly the online play is so insanely good that you should get it if you're at all interested in fighters. It helps that the game JUST came out as well, so you're at the peak player base where there are still worse players to play with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, I think someone posted about falling down to like, floor 1 or 2. If they're still having fun with the game, odds are you can too.