Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I rewatched MK95 yesterday and yeah, it's still a really fun movie. Obviously made for kids, and it does Sonya and Kitana dirty as hell (Sonya especially, who is a stereotypical scold, gets like one fight and then gets put in a little dress, stupid hair and chains), but it is a perfect blend of story and fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Neurolimal posted:

Look he had centuries to learn a few extra words from the other angry revenge ghosts, ok

We need multiple fan films of other ghosts giving Scorpion English lessons to explain this like how there's ones of one of the aaylum employees giving Michael Myers driving lessons.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
the tone and setting of the first scene makes me want a movie with a human Hanzo Hasashi dressed in yellow getting revenge on the human Bi Han dressed in blue for killing his family.

If it was strictly a Skorpion and Subzero backstory with no other MK characters I would probably still enjoy it.

Maybe have Skorpion meet some English speaker who knows how to lasso. Idk.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I would like the people who made Ghost of Tsushima to make a game set in that era of Japan where you play as Hanzo Hasashi seeking out revenge against the Lin Kuei

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

I would like the people who made Ghost of Tsushima to make a game set in that era of Japan where you play as Hanzo Hasashi seeking out revenge against the Lin Kuei

This except Hideki Kamiya instead of the Tsushima people

gregday
May 23, 2003

Why do you keep saying "Skorpion"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

gregday posted:

Why do you keep saying "Skorpion"

Bekause there are no “c”s in Mortal Kombat

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Jedit posted:

Trevor Goddard was extremely unpopular in Australia because his accent was so good he kept taking gigs from Aussie actors.

This is really funny to me because I just rewatched 95 and thought his accent was pretty bad! He just sounded british.

I did like that hell was made entirely from dust, skulls and bamboo scaffolding but somehow it really worked.
Oh and I was really impressed by animatronic/puppet goro for some reason.

Honestly I was pleasantly surprised at how well it held up, but I was also extremely extremely high.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 10, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Oh and I was really impressed by animatronic/puppet goro for some reason.

Because it ruled? There were 2 suits, this one which the arms are just on hinges and the other, full animatronic one which has the full facial motion and upper arms controllable.

https://i.imgur.com/8khmjBl.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVi2klX_feE

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's so cool. I'd always assumed there was a second hero suit for more complex arm motions, but was filmed from the waist up with perspective tricks, and the smaller lower arms were the animatronic ones. They did a great job with the facial system too, seeing the skull minus the covering really shows the craft and skill of the animatronics team.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Animatronic Goro is great because in no way could they do the sort of knock-em sock-em destroy-the-garage fight the 2021 CG Goro does, so instead they get creative and have Johnny Cage punch him in the balls and then kick him off a cliff in a really wide shot. It's not really much of a fight but the Animatronic Goro and the brilliant puppeteers do such a great job selling the ball punch that's what people remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgRPVOCr-QY

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 11, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The United States posted:

Animatronic Goro is great because in no way could they do the sort of knock-em sock-em destroy-the-garage fight the 2021 CG Goro does, so instead they get creative and have Johnny Cage punch him in the balls and then kick him off a cliff in a really wide shot. It's not really much of a fight but the Animatronic Goro and the brilliant puppeteers do such a great job selling the ball punch that's what people remember.

And let's not forget Rayden hitting that random goon while laughing and then saying "sorry"

Like I said earlier with Sonya vs. Kano, they really knew how to make the best use out of very little. I think that's a great virtue in an artist.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

It also has the bonus of making Goro feel truly indestructible, all you see is him just wrecking people and walking around like he’s made of diamond and so when Johnny gets one over on him it makes him look more clever than we gave him credit for. Turning a potential liability into good storytelling without having to use dialogue!

As opposed to 2021 where Goro is just another chump, the second of Shang’s lackeys to bite it

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

"That was a 500 dollar barn, rear end in a top hat" doesn't have the same ring to it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DC Murderverse posted:

It also has the bonus of making Goro feel truly indestructible, all you see is him just wrecking people and walking around like he’s made of diamond

Which he quite possibly is, considering that Johnny nearly broke his hand punching Goro in the nuts.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

And let's not forget Rayden hitting that random goon while laughing and then saying "sorry"

Like I said earlier with Sonya vs. Kano, they really knew how to make the best use out of very little. I think that's a great virtue in an artist.

Honorable mention to these hypelords

"YEAH! YEAH! GORO!"

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
"dad, UPPERCUT!"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Are those Boon and Tobias or did I make that up

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Is there some canon on why there's an off-work carpenter in that scene?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Are those Boon and Tobias or did I make that up

I really wish that were true, but Tobias was at least then a super pasty nerd and Boon slightly less so. I do feel like I remember them being in the background in that scene?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Another random thought about MK21 spawned from this conversation: there aren’t as many random mooks around to make the movie feel more populated. It’s funny, the movie was filmed pre-pandemic but there are so few bystanders or extras in the movie that you could tell me it was filmed after COVID hit and I would believe you. The exception is the first 15 or so minutes, both the invasion of Hanzo’s home and the MMA fight, but once Sonya and Kano show up there’s nothing but named characters. Having all of the random extras and stunt people on the island made it feel more alive and interesting.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The shaolin monks should have been funky cyperpunk monks from Double Team without any explanation

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It’s weird how sparse the movie felt. The training ground being like 4 people is just odd. The empty streets for the scorpion chase, and the strange choice of the ending sequence stand out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I understand casting during the pandemic is a pain, but it's a stark contrast to the lush adventure-film setting of the 1995 film, with a tropical island full of extras.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

I understand casting during the pandemic is a pain, but it's a stark contrast to the lush adventure-film setting of the 1995 film, with a tropical island full of extras.

It was mostly made pre pandemic

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

well why not posted:

It’s weird how sparse the movie felt. The training ground being like 4 people is just odd. The empty streets for the scorpion chase, and the strange choice of the ending sequence stand out.

The way feige talks about on site filming, I feel the MCU has made industry standards lax in regards to set, cinematography and choreography. Fans only care about their action figures bashing against each other.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

well why not posted:

This, along with them using deserts and reusing sets made me think that the movie was made on a lower budget than the '95 movie at first. It really feels empty.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Archer666 posted:

This, along with them using deserts and reusing sets made me think that the movie was made on a lower budget than the '95 movie at first. It really feels empty.
The 1995 movie's reported $18 million budget would be equivalent to roughly $32 million today.

The 1995 Goro animatronic cost $1 million of that $18 million alone.

Mortal Kombat 2021 reportedly had a $55 million budget. So lol

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

The 1995 movie's reported $18 million budget would be equivalent to roughly $32 million today.

The 1995 Goro animatronic cost $1 million of that $18 million alone.

Mortal Kombat 2021 reportedly had a $55 million budget. So lol

$1m on Goro was worth it because it’s 1 million times better than MK21 Goro. And still one of the better animatronics I’ve seen. It would’ve fit in with Jurassic Park dinosaurs (the best animatronics ever don’t @ me).

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

boop the snoot posted:

Jurassic Park dinosaurs (the best animatronics ever don’t @ me).

Why would you say something so controversial, yet so brave?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Goro would have made a good enemy for the movie Ninja Turtles.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Open Marriage Night posted:

Goro would have made a good enemy for the movie Ninja Turtles.

I still LOL that Goro's entire thing is he's part of the Shokan, a race of half-human, half-dragon people, but even they realized how far away from that he looked or/and totally forgot about that so we got the dragon king Onaga in the PS2 era games. Like if Onaga and a human woman had sex and she had a kid it would be a green person with four arms?

Also Kintaro is also a Shokan but is a four armed tiger dude?

We really need a new MK Deception style Konquest mode so we can see all these realms more fleshed out

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 15, 2021

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm still holding out hope for another Shaolin Monks.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Azubah posted:

I'm still holding out hope for another Shaolin Monks.

*Ed Boon dangles a carrot on a stick and cackles*

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I still LOL that Goro's entire thing is he's part of the Shokan, a race of half-human, half-dragon people, but even they realized how far away from that he looked or/and totally forgot about that so we got the dragon king Onaga in the PS2 era games. Like if Onaga and a human woman had sex and she had a kid it would be a green person with four arms?

Also Kintaro is also a Shokan but is a four armed tiger dude?

We really need a new MK Deception style Konquest mode so we can see all these realms more fleshed out

The realm of 'order' being just a city of concentric circles is MK literalism at its best.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Neo Rasa posted:

They should just do an open world MMO fighting game. Explore all the realms, challenge people to fights, then weave a campaign and quests in there somewhere.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

sticklefifer posted:

They should just do an open world MMO fighting game. Explore all the realms, challenge people to fights, then weave a campaign and quests in there somewhere.

They're at a point where players wouldn't even have to create their own characters, they can pick one from the tens of thousands of characters from the games.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

sticklefifer posted:

They should just do an open world MMO
No.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The only path forward for Mortal Kombat is VR, maybe they can make an app where you can 3d scan your face with your phone and import it in game so you can fatality your friend in first person and get some of that 90s videogames are too violent moral panic PR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
gently caress yeah. I want parents screaming about how their kids are walking around with goggles on, pretending they're holding a still-beating heart and spiking it on an icicle like it's a receipt.