Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

goblin week posted:

God yeah people online suck. And actually in real life too, I had way too many comments about eating my pet rabbit

same
(i have a lot of pets)

rabbits are great. little destruction elementals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

It's even better because he wasn't really "doxxed". Other neo-liberals he pissed off in twitter DMs were pretty sure they knew his name via real life interactions, and his views matched the pharma/marketing/big business experience on LinkedIn. They then went to Jack Allison (Bernie supporting podcaster they hate) for help to confirm via a yearbook search. Jack Allison explains the story on Blocked Party, which is basically IOSM the podcast https://blockedparty.libsyn.com/episode-95-jack-allison-v-hoarse-wisperer.

How is that not a textbook case of doxxing?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

dregan posted:

Ha, I had the same thought, and lo:

As an aside, photopea is really good, I'm just really bad with it

:haw:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I think "that how nature work me big brain" is basically the justification in their minds for "I can be an rear end in a top hat to this person"

Which, of course, is a very unusual sentiment that never gets applied to other things in life.

People who are like "facts don't care about your feelings" as though that will make them more popular among human beings who have feelings.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

goblin week posted:

God yeah people online suck. And actually in real life too, I had way too many comments about eating my pet rabbit
jfc I'd comment too if someone did that

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Had this dude visit my house regularly a few years ago and one time he showed up with a badly hurt leg. Talked to my friend about it and it was just jokes about “delicious roast bird dinner for you then”. I was really worried about poor Spud so that didn’t help :(

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/leehurstcomic/status/1405423188297797633?s=21

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/1405486284790013954

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Filth Hound is a good name

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/wariotifo/status/1405503334820290565?s=19

https://twitter.com/wariotifo/status/1405507468747288578?s=19

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

It’s bending down to get a better look at the isom

(Caused by lead being installed badly by apprentices after the master craftsmen all got wiped out during the Black Death)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

learnincurve posted:

(Caused by lead being installed badly by apprentices after the master craftsmen all got wiped out during the Black Death)

I love the local legend that the church was so surprised to hear a virgin was getting married inside it twisted its spire to get a better look.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

learnincurve posted:

Dudes not just being dumb, but doing some stupid "trap sprung" about how we survived the Black Death without vaccines. Just ignoring the insane death toll, the fact that the Black Death surged around Europe for 300 years before finally subsiding, and the general "magic thinking makes me special and smart" poo poo.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also didn't the black death basically kill itself because it ran out of people to infect, or is that a myth?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

TinTower posted:

I love the local legend that the church was so surprised to hear a virgin was getting married inside it twisted its spire to get a better look.

And if another one ever enters then it will stand back up :D

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Also didn't the black death basically kill itself because it ran out of people to infect, or is that a myth?

IIRC, it basically died out through a mixture of better sanitation, better house building, and the brown rat slowly displacing the black rat as the dominant rat species of Europe.

But once it hit Europe it kept circulating for the next 400 years. The Great Fire of London is credited with ending the pandemic early in the UK, but that’s probably confusing correalation for causation.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Crain posted:

Dudes not just being dumb, but doing some stupid "trap sprung" about how we survived the Black Death without vaccines. Just ignoring the insane death toll, the fact that the Black Death surged around Europe for 300 years before finally subsiding, and the general "magic thinking makes me special and smart" poo poo.

Something about pure binary thinking too. A pandemic either kills 100% of people or 0% of people. Not like even 1% of people in a country dying isn't catastrophic. How do they think wars work, two armies clash and fight until one side is killed down to the last man? I remember thinking like that in like first grade, and something seemed off about the idea even then.

Never mind the "yeah it kills lots of people, but not ME, so lmao" aspect of it

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

BioEnchanted posted:

Bubonic plague is still around, it's just very easily treatable with antibiotics.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I had chickens, so you can imagine people weren't restrained about their comments there

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have planning permission with the house to keep 8 chickens (no cockerels is mentioned numerous times and they go into great detail explaining what one is) and what’s stopping me is the idea of what do do with them when the end comes or they stop laying because I just couldn’t you know

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TinTower posted:

IIRC, it basically died out through a mixture of better sanitation, better house building, and the brown rat slowly displacing the black rat as the dominant rat species of Europe.

But once it hit Europe it kept circulating for the next 400 years. The Great Fire of London is credited with ending the pandemic early in the UK, but that’s probably confusing correalation for causation.

Longer than that really. It ebbed and flowed since the Roman Empire. Most seem to think the bubonic plaque was the thing that hit Marcus Auerlious hard in the 2nd century

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

learnincurve posted:

I have planning permission with the house to keep 8 chickens (no cockerels is mentioned numerous times and they go into great detail explaining what one is) and what’s stopping me is the idea of what do do with them when the end comes or they stop laying because I just couldn’t you know

Sometimes they're just fine and sometimes they drop dead, it's a mixed bag.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Longer than that really. It ebbed and flowed since the Roman Empire. Most seem to think the bubonic plaque was the thing that hit Marcus Auerlious hard in the 2nd century

tbh, I’m only counting the “second” pandemic, and not the first one or any pre-Justinian plagues.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Sorry to necropost a bit, but I want a stack of rats.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

learnincurve posted:

And if another one ever enters then it will stand back up :D

A guy started telling us this story on a school trip when we were about 8 and the teacher went "ERM IT'S BENT BECAUSE THE DEVIL FLEW INTO IT ON HIS BROOMSTICK, RIGHT EVERYONE OUT"

learnincurve posted:

I asked my dad (who keeps chickens) and he says if you really want he'll come round if you've got one needs necking, but he's never had one live over a year once they've gone off lay so he just lets them retire until it's time for the dustbin. He says it's also what put him off, and it was a totally ill-founded fear.

(yes I am offering my dads chicken-killing skills online, I should get a patreon or something)

Sanford has a new favorite as of 15:15 on Jun 17, 2021

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Data Graham posted:

Something about pure binary thinking too. A pandemic either kills 100% of people or 0% of people. Not like even 1% of people in a country dying isn't catastrophic. How do they think wars work, two armies clash and fight until one side is killed down to the last man? I remember thinking like that in like first grade, and something seemed off about the idea even then.

Never mind the "yeah it kills lots of people, but not ME, so lmao" aspect of it

I blame Risk for that mentality about War. Rolling 12s with my last man on New Guinea against the whole world like it's the loving Hot Gates.

And yeah, survivorship bias is huge problem with older people. "We didn't wear helmets, seatbelts, care about blahblahblah, and I was fine!"

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Sanford posted:

(yes I am offering my dads chicken-killing skills online, I should get a patreon or something)

Just make sure you don't title it "older man will choke your chicken" else people will get the wrong idea.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well, you know, while you're here...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TinTower posted:

tbh, I’m only counting the “second” pandemic, and not the first one or any pre-Justinian plagues.

That’s fair. Though even then it ebbed and flowed so it would just go away for a bit

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
For those interested in plague talk, I recommend “The Great Mortality” by John Kelly. Very good book.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Crain posted:

I blame Risk for that mentality about War. Rolling 12s with my last man on New Guinea against the whole world like it's the loving Hot Gates.

And yeah, survivorship bias is huge problem with older people. "We didn't wear helmets, seatbelts, care about blahblahblah, and I was fine!"

As someone who used to play Risk a lot with my dad, no one who plays Risk thinks it's reflective of actual strategy. Also no one plays Risk anymore.

Also also fun fact about my Risk-playing dad, they used to have a house rule that if you lost a country you'd have to run down the apartment stairs, run around the building, jump over the grill outside, and run back up by a certain time limit. That's what they had to do to make the dang game entertaining and I'm sure being hopped up on coke in the 80's didn't hurt.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Bubonic plague is still around, it's just very easily treatable with antibiotics.

Prairie dogs are still rife with bubonic plague.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/19/colorado-wildlife-refuge-still-affected-prairie-dogs-plague/2049377001/

Also LPotL is currently doing a four-parter about the plague.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5dma5Z14WucOc030vgqIvO?si=2b29c2e95f2347d2&nd=1

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Sorry to necropost a bit, but I want a stack of rats.

No, no thats fair I want fat stacks of rats as well. Its just too bad they dont live longer.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Sanford posted:

A guy started telling us this story on a school trip when we were about 8 and the teacher went "ERM IT'S BENT BECAUSE THE DEVIL FLEW INTO IT ON HIS BROOMSTICK, RIGHT EVERYONE OUT"

I asked my dad (who keeps chickens) and he says if you really want he'll come round if you've got one needs necking, but he's never had one live over a year once they've gone off lay so he just lets them retire until it's time for the dustbin. He says it's also what put him off, and it was a totally ill-founded fear.

I may end up DMing you for your dad’s knowledge and help at some point in the future if you don’t mind?

one of the things that puts me off is that local knowledge is key, and whenever I mention the chickens I get a couple of friends who are the kind of people who think they know what they are doing but absolutely do not (and as a bonus always want to do stuff on the cheap) who pipe up about helping me set up and I want them nowhere near my potential run - Which has to be brand new and inspected before the chickens go in.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

learnincurve posted:

My parents have had chickens for about 5 years. No original chickens left, they get a few new ones to replace the ones that died each year. They don’t want to deal with figuring out who is laying or not, so they don’t bother. Happy hens until old age takes them. They have a warm coop and get more eggs then they can handle even in snowy winter. So, if the thought of slightly reduced flock egg output isn’t offputting, don’t worry about culling for efficiency.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

TinTower posted:

Better hygienic standards leading to fewer rats is what finally pushed yersinia pestis, the plague causing bacterium, out of society. It’s still living in the wild though.

But the disease’s high infection rate and staggering mortality is what caused it to come and go in those enormous waves of death. It crippled normal human society in such a way that it impeded its own spread, nearly annihilating itself.
Compare this to covid with its moderate infection rate and relatively low mortality; without our intervention it could keep going back and forth through the world population indefinitely without interruption

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

This is a pretty entertaining video on the bubonic plague outbreak in 1900 in San Francisco:

https://youtu.be/VtG_5YHaWms

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Brawnfire posted:

Well, you know, while you're here...

*Elderly backyard poultry dad shrugs and breaks your dick over the edge of the metal skip where the dead chickens go.

(Knew a dude in highschool whose parents owned a chicken farm and this was the method for sickly birds, but necks not dicks.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Elissimpark posted:

*Elderly backyard poultry dad shrugs and breaks your dick over the edge of the metal skip where the dead chickens go.

(Knew a dude in highschool whose parents owned a chicken farm and this was the method for sickly birds, but necks not dicks.)

But what did they do with the chickens with a sickly dick?