Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah that smells a lot like a pump and dump.

https://twitter.com/IronFinance/status/1405320650202419202

e: Of course the comments are shock full of other con artists shilling their pump and dump scheme instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Bogdanov: “he bought ze titan and ze iron?”

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Can someone explain how yield farms or whatever this thing is differs from any other shitcoin or scam token like say Bitcoin

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Love that they used the hide tweet feature, which rarely does you any good.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

e: Of course the comments are shock full of other con artists shilling their pump and dump scheme instead.

Hey buddy. Turn that frown upside down and invest in $SCAM. You apes wanna be poor forever???

kliras posted:

Love that they used the hide tweet feature, which rarely does you any good.

That is the dumbest feature ever. All it does is draw more attention to the posts.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

jokes posted:

But Notch has a dedicated candy room how unhappy can he be?

It's a candy room! It has so much candy a single person couldn't eat it all in a lifetime! Luckily he lives pretty much alone! So more candy for him!

Yum!

Oh poo poo, this is like the book of Ecclesiastes. The richest man in the world realises "all is vanity".

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Like 8 or 9 years ago, I ended up purchasing 14 Bitcoin mining ASICs. Back then, those things actually made me a few hundred dollars within a short period of time. I hooked some of them up the other day just as a curiosity experiment and, given the slowwwwwwwww speed of those old things against the current mining difficulty level, the calculations came out that they could now make me ~$36 in Bitcoin............. in 33 years and 2 months.

PASS. I'm out.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ecclesiastes owns, it's the thousands of years old internal monologue of one king's journey from "nothing matters :smith:" to "nothing matters :toot:" and reads as fresh as if it were written yesterday.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Catastrophe posted:

Like 8 or 9 years ago, I ended up purchasing 14 Bitcoin mining ASICs. Back then, those things actually made me a few hundred dollars within a short period of time. I hooked some of them up the other day just as a curiosity experiment and, given the slowwwwwwwww speed of those old things against the current mining difficulty level, the calculations came out that they could now make me ~$36 in Bitcoin............. in 33 years and 2 months.

PASS. I'm out.

There was a bitcoin crash a few years ago that resulted in chinese firms selling bitcoin miner hardware by the pound, since those things would never be able to ever again turn a profit mining and would need to be scrapped

It was pretty great. There were even a few twitter videos with a loud chinese guy screaming about how he needed to sell this poo poo

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And all these ASIC based miners are completely useless once they're no longer "profitable" because ASICs are not universal CPUs, they can't do anything except run the simple hashing operation that bitcoin uses.

Just a massive amount of e-waste.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
not only can they not do anything else, you cant even buy them up on the idiot hope that Number Will Go Back Up because by then they're no longer competitive against whatever newer hardware exists then

melt 'em

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ad by Khad posted:

There was a bitcoin crash a few years ago that resulted in chinese firms selling bitcoin miner hardware by the pound, since those things would never be able to ever again turn a profit mining and would need to be scrapped

It was pretty great. There were even a few twitter videos with a loud chinese guy screaming about how he needed to sell this poo poo

Links yo

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Just did a CLE seminar for securities attorneys and apparently the government really does not like cryptocurrencies for most of the same reasons as this thread. The AML violations alone are astounding

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
^^^ The amount of sperglord crypto maximalists who think all regulation is bad and crypto shouldn't be taxed and gently caress the government, etc etc are astounding. Truly we have entered a golden age. edit: of butts.

Alan Smithee posted:

Can someone explain how yield farms or whatever this thing is differs from any other shitcoin or scam token like say Bitcoin

Because instead of your coins going to zero in value, you can actually end up with less holding of the same zero value coins at the same time! Enter impermanent loss!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I prefer to move on, and heal

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Tiax Rules All posted:

Here's a great video breaking down the history of Tether. It's a summary of what most people in this thread probably already know, but it's well-made and encouraging to see awareness of Tether becoming more mainstream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-whuXHSL1Pg

My father recently got in to investing in Bitcoin. I sent him this video hoping that the long length and goofy intro doesn't put him off. There's some very interesting stuff here.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

^^^ The amount of sperglord crypto maximalists who think all regulation is bad and crypto shouldn't be taxed and gently caress the government, etc etc are astounding. Truly we have entered a golden age. edit: of butts.

Astounding? The entire game is FYGM.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
More on the IRON collapse here: https://irony-97882.medium.com/the-melting-of-iron-89469b01e083

tl;dr: they thought they could back their new "stable" coin with 75% another stablecoin and 25% some new shitcoin they invented. They failed to consider no one would want thier shitcoin, which caused its price to fall, which caused more shitcoins to be emitted, which caused the price to fall even further, eventually falling by something like 99.99999%. The price got so low, a crucial piece of code rounded it to zero, which completely broke part of the "smart" contract (though that was later resolved?) Also somewhere in here there were 30,000% APR yields and Mark Cuban, because reasons.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

drk posted:

More on the IRON collapse here: https://irony-97882.medium.com/the-melting-of-iron-89469b01e083

tl;dr: they thought they could back their new "stable" coin with 75% another stablecoin and 25% some new shitcoin they invented. They failed to consider no one would want thier shitcoin, which caused its price to fall, which caused more shitcoins to be emitted, which caused the price to fall even further, eventually falling by something like 99.99999%. The price got so low, a crucial piece of code rounded it to zero, which completely broke part of the "smart" contract (though that was later resolved?) Also somewhere in here there were 30,000% APR yields and Mark Cuban, because reasons.

code:
require(_share_price > 0, “Invalid share price”);
oops :shrug:

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007
Why do bitcoiners keep trying to re-invent fiat currency?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Hamburger Sandwich posted:

What if Fiat currency, except I give myself $100,000 advantage?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Hamburger Sandwich posted:

Because they are smarter than everyone and know better than the pleebs.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nomad2020 posted:

What if Fiat currency, except I give myself a -$100,000 advantage?

I fixed that for you.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Coin Developer minting coin:

nomad2020 posted:

What if Fiat currency, except I give myself $100,000 advantage?

Savvy coin investor:

MarcusSA posted:

nomad2020 posted:

What if Fiat currency, except I give myself -$100,000 advantage?
I fixed that for you.

Usually we're talking in the amounts of 'multiple' dollars stolen because marketing is hard, but it's not exactly uncommon for one to hit upwards of 100k before people start to notice that they can't sell. The whole smart contract coin trading environment is like playing financial Russian Roulette.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

drk posted:

Yeah here's Matt Levine doing his thing with it yesterday: https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-06-17/titanium-got-crushed

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
S-M-R-T contracts

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

And all these ASIC based miners are completely useless once they're no longer "profitable" because ASICs are not universal CPUs, they can't do anything except run the simple hashing operation that bitcoin uses.

Just a massive amount of e-waste.

the fact that butt machines cant even be used to play Doom means we should arrest all coiners, make a real life Doom Arena, and make it a death game.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Yea at least when eth mining crashes I can buy a cheap 3090 and just replace the fans. Asics are by far the worst of the poop touching gear.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Stealthgerbil posted:

Yea at least when eth mining crashes I can buy a cheap 3090 and just replace the fans. Asics are by far the worst of the poop touching gear.
Time to invest in watercooling stocks.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Stealthgerbil posted:

https://twitter.com/fireh9lly/status/1405886564081803264

drk
Jan 16, 2005
TSB (Bank in the UK) moves to block their 5 million customers from sending money to cryptocurrency exchanges after Binance ghosts them by responding to zero of their inquiries on 849 of their customers getting scammed.

Number go down

https://archive.is/kZx4a

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

drk posted:

TSB (Bank in the UK) moves to block their 5 million customers from sending money to cryptocurrency exchanges after Binance ghosts them by responding to zero of their inquiries on 849 of their customers getting scammed.

Number go down

https://archive.is/kZx4a

I pulled out everything I had in binance a while back because yeah, they don't smell right. More than the rest of them I mean.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

snorch posted:

I pulled out everything I had in binance a while back because yeah, they don't smell right. More than the rest of them I mean.

Are they the one who if they go down, they take tether with them?

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
No that's bitfinex.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Binance is by far the largest BTC/USDT exchange, but yeah its all a big incestuous mess - Tether is involved with pretty much all of the large exchanges, and provides a substantial percentage of trade volume. Exactly what kills Tether at this point almost doesn't matter, the writing is on the wall.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If (when?) tether goes down that'll trigger a pretty huge crash across all crypto, right?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Party Boat posted:

If (when?) tether goes down that'll trigger a pretty huge crash across all crypto, right?

Actually that is good for Bitcoin

:haw:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Party Boat posted:

Presumably.

I still wonder if some of the major players want to keep the price down in order to stop institutional investors from getting involved, which would then bring regulatory scrutiny to whole shell-game. Not everyone involved in crypto can be a complete idiot, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Party Boat posted:

hell yeah brother buy that dip!