Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

YeahTubaMike posted:

Speaking of which... I don't think this is true for cis guys -- correct me if I'm wrong -- but cis girls are asked about motherhood super early in life, to the point that I literally don't remember the first time I said I didn't want to have children (according to my mom, I was 7). As a result, as a teenager, I developed a super bitter attitude toward the extremely pervasive idea that I & all little girls should look forward to being a mom. When I was 15-16, I became overjoyed that not only was there a huge internet community "just like me! :downs: " who didn't want children & were outspoken about it, but that there was a NAME for "us" -- childfree! I was super stoked to be "childfree" for abooooouuuuuutttttt 45 seconds, and when I delved deeper into one of the myriad forums out there, my experience was basically

My wife grew up in a very conservative area and yes, she was (and still is) constantly asked when we're having kids. She had a bachelorette party for her sister and crashed at her mom's house. Woke up the next day and puked, her mom goes "Is that morning sickness????"

And about 3 months ago my wife had surgery and within 10 minutes of her talking to her mom she was asked "So when can you get pregnant?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

You Are A Elf posted:

Ahhh, so I probably met a “catfree” person when my cat passed away five years ago, and I returned to work the day after it happened. A coworker asked why I looked so down, and I told them my cat had passed away. Their response? “Oh, I haaate cats! Absolutely hate them! I’m a dog person :smug:

Like…what in the poo poo. Who thinks that’s a reasonable response to someone grieving over the loss of their beloved pet? A complete “catfree” rear end in a top hat, that’s who.

I don't trust anyone that doesn't like cats, especially if they're super vocal about it

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I've gone back and forth on the idea multiple times in my life. My last relationship ended as a result of this topic. This lovely girl really wanted to have a kid. She was 38 and already had frozen her eggs to be sure she could at some point.

This is the biggest responsibility to which you can opt-in. It's important that my partner would align with my morals, ethics, and fidelity of reality.

Some of my questions:
-Is it ethical to create a new life? It's absolutely non-consensual on the entity intended.
-Why they personally want to have a child? Is it for the experience? If so does that require creating one or is adoption an option?
-How does one justify the carbon output? Even if a couple has a single child, there's still +1 human. Maybe zero is a better number for most humans?

For me, the topic of procreation is a conversation without 'right' answers but it's important that my partner at least consider these questions. It demonstrates ability to consider the greater impact of our actions. She told me she doesn't really think about these things and made clear that she feels it's her right and doesn't wish to discuss the nuanced ethics.

I truly believe she would make a lovely, caring, and warm parent. So why did I still have an issue? I need a partner with which I can develop a base fidelity. Having a lackadaisical towards ethics creates a conflict with that connection. This would be true for any future relationships.

I hope that this doesn't come across trying to sell one side of the argument. I honestly would love to have a loving partner, a family, and a caring environment I could grow. Sadly that is not the case as I've yet to find a suitable partner for myself. That doesn't mean others haven't. I only hope that everyone at least consider the impacts of making new humans.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Revins posted:

I don't trust anyone that doesn't like cats, especially if they're super vocal about it

:hmmyes:

:hai:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

You Are A Elf posted:

Ahhh, so I probably met a “catfree” person when my cat passed away five years ago, and I returned to work the day after it happened. A coworker asked why I looked so down, and I told them my cat had passed away. Their response? “Oh, I haaate cats! Absolutely hate them! I’m a dog person :smug:

Like…what in the poo poo. Who thinks that’s a reasonable response to someone grieving over the loss of their beloved pet? A complete “catfree” rear end in a top hat, that’s who.

Is this your coworker OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYdUZdan5i8

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Revins posted:

I don't wanna have kids because serious chronic depression runs in my family and I don't want to pass it on. If I ever get married I'm 100% down to adopt though

Cancer, scoliosis, depression, obesity, and alcoholism are all rampant across both sides of my family. I can barely care for myself as an adult. I'd feel horribly guilty bringing an innocent child into the world looking forward with optimism but then... they're stuck with me as a parent. It wouldn't be fair to them at all.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

itry posted:

Understandable reaction after years of being told to smile with your uterus. Who the heck even asks a 7 y/o if they want kids.

Seriously, I wish I remembered how such a thing would come up in conversation.

You Are A Elf posted:

We do get asked about fatherhood by extended relatives and family friends and such, but I couldn’t even imagine how much a woman is pressured into having kids from early on in life.

We're expected to play with baby dolls too, in hindsight it comes across as very brainwash-y.

quote:

It began after high school for me since I was now old enough to “get married, have kids, buy a house with a white picket fence, and live happily ever after.” No “find a soulmate and live a happy fulfilling life with them” or “live your single life to the fullest,” just a “get married, have kids…” Boomer mentality. Luckily, my parents never pressured me into having kids and supported my decision not to. I have two nephews from my sisters, we get along great, and that’s good enough for me :)

Yeah, it's like after spending ages 5-18 in school (and sometimes 18-22ish in college), you're done living life "for yourself". Like, drat, give me a chance to breathe. Even if I did want to have children, I would want to spend at least a decade of post-college life jaunting around & having a great time drinking, smoking weed, and not doing any homework.

quote:

What the gently caress is wrong with your coworker? Even if your pet housefly died, grief is grief and it shouldn't be dismissed like that.

edit:

A Fancy Hat posted:

My wife grew up in a very conservative area and yes, she was (and still is) constantly asked when we're having kids. She had a bachelorette party for her sister and crashed at her mom's house. Woke up the next day and puked, her mom goes "Is that morning sickness????"

And about 3 months ago my wife had surgery and within 10 minutes of her talking to her mom she was asked "So when can you get pregnant?".

Yikes, what the gently caress? :stare:

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

... just why

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Catastrophe posted:

Cancer, depression, and alcoholism are all rampant across both sides of my family. I can barely care for myself as an adult. I'd feel horribly guilty bringing an innocent child into the world looking forward with optimism but then... they're stuck with me as a parent. It wouldn't be fair to them at all.

Same. I'm also admittedly quite selfish and enjoy doing what I want with my time and money.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

YeahTubaMike posted:

Yikes, what the gently caress? :stare:

The crazy thing is I have a nephew and my MiL basically ignores him half the time he's over there. So I'm not sure what the big rush is for us to have kids.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’d be ok with having biological kids if my genes weren’t a cesspool of mental illness and if the world wasn’t unnecessarily cruel to anyone who wasn’t born white, Christian and male. Also, pregnancy and childbirth loving disgust me and I want no part in it, especially for high maternal death rates for browner women. I could die because some idiot decided to do a racism, I try to avoid those situations.

Adoption? I’d love, in fact I’d highly prefer to over having w biological child, to but oh wait I take antidepressants so therefore too crazy to adopt a kid!!! Not to mention the insane stigma there is around adoption in tyool 2021.

Let’s not even begin to dip a toe into how expensive child raising is, the unequal power balance in child rearing, etc.

Sometimes it feels like I don’t have a choice in the matter. I’d kinda like to give the parenting thing a try but there are factors out of my control to do so, but god gently caress people going “ohhh but it’ll fulfill you/there’s never a right time/but your mom had you” bullshit. The pressure on women is so insane to be just a baby cannon and like I’m more than that, even if I do want to adopt one kid.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Derpies posted:

Us breeders are happy you’re a genetic dead end too, OP, so it’s a win win

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Because I'm an idiot I had kids before I realized the world was terminally stupid and completely hosed. This does indeed lead to some monumental bitterness, but not in the direction of our children, OP. Just everyone else.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I identify as pants-free. If you wanna wear your stupid leg gloves, go ahead pantser but I DON'T WANT/NEED THAT and I'm tired of getting asked to leave places just because this stupid society is pants obsessed. UGH.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I have three solid reasons why I voluntarily don't corrupt the world with my vile seed.

1. Tendency to punt.

2. LOUD RANT!!!!!

3. Sad libido :(

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

No. 6 posted:

I've gone back and forth on the idea multiple times in my life. My last relationship ended as a result of this topic. This lovely girl really wanted to have a kid. She was 38 and already had frozen her eggs to be sure she could at some point.

This is the biggest responsibility to which you can opt-in. It's important that my partner would align with my morals, ethics, and fidelity of reality.

Some of my questions:
-Is it ethical to create a new life? It's absolutely non-consensual on the entity intended.
-Why they personally want to have a child? Is it for the experience? If so does that require creating one or is adoption an option?
-How does one justify the carbon output? Even if a couple has a single child, there's still +1 human. Maybe zero is a better number for most humans?

For me, the topic of procreation is a conversation without 'right' answers but it's important that my partner at least consider these questions. It demonstrates ability to consider the greater impact of our actions. She told me she doesn't really think about these things and made clear that she feels it's her right and doesn't wish to discuss the nuanced ethics.

I truly believe she would make a lovely, caring, and warm parent. So why did I still have an issue? I need a partner with which I can develop a base fidelity. Having a lackadaisical towards ethics creates a conflict with that connection. This would be true for any future relationships.

I hope that this doesn't come across trying to sell one side of the argument. I honestly would love to have a loving partner, a family, and a caring environment I could grow. Sadly that is not the case as I've yet to find a suitable partner for myself. That doesn't mean others haven't. I only hope that everyone at least consider the impacts of making new humans.

Haha beep boop does not compute, most illogical.

You're supposed to just have an accident one Friday night not write a treatise.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My kids just got into liking cool games and it's a life changer. Keeping them happy used to be "roll the dice, spin the spinner, move the game piece, die of boredom."

Now, every moment I'm off work we do actually fun stuff like Slay the Spire, Pokemon Go, Outer Wilds, Final Fantasy, Settlers of Cataan, and like a dozen outrageous card games. It's a blast and makes me really glad I dug in during the first 7 or so years of boring and stayed involved with their hobbies.

Also there's a framed photo in the elementary school lobby of them pulling a red wagon door to door collecting food donations during the pandemic, every time I see it I can't help but to tear up.

Having kids is like 90% aggravating frustration and 10% reward, but that reward feels better than anything else in life.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Revins posted:

... just why

sociopaths :shrug:

kntfkr posted:

I identify as pants-free. If you wanna wear your stupid leg gloves, go ahead pantser but I DON'T WANT/NEED THAT and I'm tired of getting asked to leave places just because this stupid society is pants obsessed. UGH.

So... you're a naturist?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
It's interesting to consider having a kid as a selfish act when it's voluntarily adding an extraordinary amount of responsibility into your life.

It's basically one of the most fundamental animal things you can do, but because we've largely decoupled it from sex, people don't associate the two acts together as much as they probably did in the past.

Personally, we thought we'd have more than one but found one so difficult and challenging that adding another seemed less and less of a good idea. Can relate to the poster talking about pressure for siblings, for sure, but you really need a huge network to care for kids which we don't have.

If we had a clan of family who we could depend on for regular childcare and help, it'd be a totally different story.

We worry about raising an only child but I think there's ways to make sure they come out well adjusted.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Drunk Nerds posted:

My kids just got into liking cool games and it's a life changer. Keeping them happy used to be "roll the dice, spin the spinner, move the game piece, die of boredom."

Now, every moment I'm off work we do actually fun stuff like Slay the Spire, Pokemon Go, Outer Wilds, Final Fantasy, Settlers of Cataan, and like a dozen outrageous card games. It's a blast and makes me really glad I dug in during the first 7 or so years of boring and stayed involved with their hobbies.

Also there's a framed photo in the elementary school lobby of them pulling a red wagon door to door collecting food donations during the pandemic, every time I see it I can't help but to tear up.

Having kids is like 90% aggravating frustration and 10% reward, but that reward feels better than anything else in life.

https://youtu.be/l40K1VsMe3k

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I knew I didn't want kids from before I was 10 I just knew it. This was way before child free, I was a kid in the 70s and '80s and I just knew I wasn't going to have kids. I never even felt any pressure because I ignored it I was a weirdo and societal pressure didn't affect me much about anything. I have zero regrets, never a moment. I couldn't run my life right I sure as hell wasn't going to have kids. But I also am way too selfish too I want the freedom to do whatever I want with my own time.

I gather that there's some maternal instinct that lots of women have that I don't; there must be----it can't be all societal pressure. I did date a guy who had full custody of a couple little kids and I really liked him but I realized fairly early on that I would always be third in his affections so we had no real future.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I don't want kids but I do want to have sex like everyday

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Katamari Democracy posted:

Tug lyfe

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

kids can be fun but eventually you have to eat them so that they don't grow up to overthrow you and I'm just not down with that scene

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
My kids are 20 and 17 and it was a pretty cool and I'm happy op

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Spinz posted:

I knew I didn't want kids from before I was 10 I just knew it. This was way before child free, I was a kid in the 70s and '80s and I just knew I wasn't going to have kids. I never even felt any pressure because I ignored it I was a weirdo and societal pressure didn't affect me much about anything. I have zero regrets, never a moment. I couldn't run my life right I sure as hell wasn't going to have kids. But I also am way too selfish too I want the freedom to do whatever I want with my own time.

I gather that there's some maternal instinct that lots of women have that I don't; there must be----it can't be all societal pressure.

;-*:hf:;-* I'm really glad you didn't give in to the pressure; the last thing this world needs is more unwanted children.

Katamari Democracy posted:

:hmmyes:

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Time off work with full pay when kids are sick. And kids get sick a lot. Cartoons all day.

Even two kids simultaneously going through full gastrointestinal holocaust is better than going to work.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Even as I breeder I have nothing but compassion for the Mormon women I see around here who have 7-8 Irish twins by the time they're 25, until they ask to cut in line at an event because I just have one kid and see they've been waiting a while. Then its breeder on breeder warfare.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One of the lesser mentioned perks/trials of parenthood; you have Papa Nurgle's blessed in your home. I still remember when I had like five different skin ailments on my face at the same time.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Derpies posted:

Even as I breeder I have nothing but compassion for the Mormon women I see around here who have 7-8 Irish twins by the time they're 25, until they ask to cut in line at an event because I just have one kid and see they've been waiting a while. Then its breeder on breeder warfare.

The mormons do the 12 kids thing without benefit of coffee or booze. Being LDS would actually be hell.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Have kids, don't have kids, but we can all agree that the new BK chicken burger slaps

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Me and my wife don't want kid but we like playing around our friends kids. It's pretty great to just have fun with some kid all day and then to leave and get drunk and gently caress and do whatever we want.

I feel tremendously blessed that i found a woman for who getting kids was never an optional though, there's not too many around.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Icochet posted:

Time off work with full pay when kids are sick. And kids get sick a lot. Cartoons all day.

Even two kids simultaneously going through full gastrointestinal holocaust is better than going to work.

Er.... Might want to change job if it's literally so bad that you think this.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
How am I supposed to breed if I suck it. Seems like bad advice.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

frytechnician posted:

Er.... Might want to change job if it's literally so bad that you think this.

Maybe you should watch better cartoons

Lobotomy Bob
Jun 13, 2003

"Dad! I pooped!"

"Sweet. Did you wipe?"

"Yep!"

"Did you flush?"

"Yeah, except the water didn't go down"

"Yeah, ok. Did you wash your hands?"

"Uhhhhh"

"Go wash em, stop touching everything. You really don't need to do cartwheels all the- ugh. There's a sandwich for you on the counter after you're done. Use soap."
Off I head to plunge a 4 year old's unreasonably huge turd, again.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Imagine how stoked my wife and I both are that we both don't want kids (as we approach our 40s and have been together for 16~ years) but had no idea bout the 'childfree' angle.

I, the man, told my mom I don't think we'd have kids. My mom's reaction?
"Then don't!" with a smile. My mom maintains she always wanted kids, and claims up and down that she's never ever regretted it and has known all along she wanted to be a mother. She's much stronger than I am.

My partner, the woman, says she knew she didn't want kids really young, around 8 years old or so (mirroring YeahTubaMike) and was weirded out by things like weddings and other heavily-implied things for little girls. She's had a much more rough time about not having kids because WOMAN, however she has two strong allies in her life that make it much easier: her mother and grandmother (dad's mother). Her mom is a lesbian and while doesn't regret her kids, is clear about how it was a pressure from growing up as a woman in the midwest United States. Her grandmother straight-up admits she wished she would have waited to have kids as that's all her life has been. Again though, woman in the midwest in the last century.

As her and I have been together we just kind of went "Kids? Nah" pretty easily, it just wasn't a topic that was important to discuss and we spend out time building a life together. When we realized that's what we'd decided her dad has had a tough time adjusting but he's a boomer in all the cliché ways a boomer is. It wasn't until a couple years ago that we heard about the ~childfree~ movement. Those people are psychotic lmao. Having kids and that being your identity is dumb, NOT having kids and that being your identity is dumb. Screaming about it on the internet either way is hilarious for the rest of us.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yeah, so much discussion about children seems to focus on the difficulties of the early years, but that is just a small part of the experience, your kid is going to be an adult for the majority of your relationship. They become more self sufficient and fun and interesting as they get older and you reap the rewards of those challenging early years.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AcidCat posted:

Yeah, so much discussion about children seems to focus on the difficulties of the early years, but that is just a small part of the experience, your kid is going to be an adult for the majority of your relationship. They become more self sufficient and fun and interesting as they get older and you reap the rewards of those challenging early years.

Unfortunately way too many parents do the opposite and basically give up on their children the moment they aren't cute and completely dependent anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

it makes me quite happy to do whatever i want whenever i want