Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I had Thief/Time Mage/Geomancer myself but at least I could snap rods.

My sympathies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
My first job is Red Mage. Any tips before I get started? I went with 'regchaos' and 'berserkerrisk'. Any idea how many berserkers are getting handed out this year?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

There are a few jobs that just have no recourse whatsoever against the Sol Cannon. Geomancer's only form of offense is nulled. Weaker dagger-using classes (Thief, Dancer if it's unlocked early, Bard if your !Hide timing is bad) simply can't do enough damage.

Raw melee classes - especially berserker - can't win a damage race without healing, and White Mage has no offense and loses the battle of attrition, but pairing them up manages to cover the flaws there.

E:

redreader posted:

My first job is Red Mage. Any tips before I get started? I went with 'regchaos' and 'berserkerrisk'. Any idea how many berserkers are getting handed out this year?

I think the number Gilgabot cited was 400-something. I don't think it was enough for forced dupes. That said, if you've got a RDM start, a Zerk can be quite helpful - Red Mage offense starts flagging right around the time you can try to get a Death Sickle drop, and in late game a layer of Protect can keep those zerks standing through almost anything.

As for tips on Red in general: don't bother grinding AP for doublecast. It's helpful if you somehow get it naturally, but if you have other mage jobs it's overkill, and if you're stuck with just RDM, it doesn't do enough to deal with the lower stats. Better to just see late-game red mage as a supporter instead of expecting any damage from them.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 16, 2021

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

redreader posted:

Red Mage is smooth sailing through World 1 since you get the full utility of both White and Black Magic (barring one very situational spell). How smooth the sailing will be from World 2 onwards depends on your other classes, but for now just enjoy the ride.

If this is your first FFV playthrough ever, make sure to talk to all the NPCs and explore thoroughly. There's a fair bit of hidden content in this game, but most of it's not hard to find if you pay attention.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks everyone! it's my second playthrough or maybe third, but I can't remember it very well and certainly don't remember any secrets. I'll probably look up a secrets guide (?) or something.

edit: it's my 4th time I start the game. First time was on a snes emu ages ago and I got to the pirate ship. Second time was a successful fiesta run. Third time was a fiesta run that gilgabot claims I finished, but I don't remember it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

KataraniSword posted:

There are a few jobs that just have no recourse whatsoever against the Sol Cannon. Geomancer's only form of offense is nulled. Weaker dagger-using classes (Thief, Dancer if it's unlocked early, Bard if your !Hide timing is bad) simply can't do enough damage.

Raw melee classes - especially berserker - can't win a damage race without healing, and White Mage has no offense and loses the battle of attrition, but pairing them up manages to cover the flaws there.

Every job can get through Sol Cannon if you grind enough.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

There weren't even enough berserkers to guarantee someone GOT one this year.

As for Red Mage, at least you'll have a very solid, safe progression through W1. Hopefully your other jobs fill in the gap as it falls off in use early W2, but it'll have utility against locking down Atomos and Wend- I mean Stoker.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fifteen T-Rexs dead!

girl dick energy
Unreal_One
Zerilan
Red Metal
Araxxor
FeyerbrandX
jaclynhyde
Nihilarian
MagusDraco
CapitalistPig
OOrochi
Big Mad Drongo
Fenrir
pyromance
Orange Fluffy Sheep

O-O-O-OVERKILL

StrangeAeon
Serene Dragon
Kyrosiris
Leraika

In the interest of charity I will include these four extra kills but that's all, baby!

Will be sometime this weekend or next though.

Blue Link
Apr 22, 2014

DalaranJ posted:

Last year, I asked you to commit The Perfect Crime. This year, I need you to Attack and Dethrone God(s).
In any run that does not at any time use the Summoner class, collect all the spells in the Summon menu.
Please show, a screenshot of your party's classes, and one of the filled summon menu.
:toxx:

Now watch as I fight Neo Exdeath with a Summoner with half that list of spells.

StrangeAeon posted:

yes

YES

:toxx: We Choose Violence
I pledge $1 for every FULL POWER BRAVE BLADE posted to the thread. Limit of $100

Good news, it deals a lot of damage. Bad news, you can't deal damage if you are on Cover duty for the entire battle.
Also I guess this also counts towards the CHAOS incentive, but I'm pretty sure I'm late for that one.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

ultrafilter posted:

Every job can get through Sol Cannon if you grind enough.

My level 40 berserk team had no problems (I just wish I hadn’t had to grind so much to get past sandworm).

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I have to say that I am extremely pleased with both my toxxes this year.
Everyone's doing the fun one, and I'm getting great feedback from everyone doing the harder one.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
My quad-geo run at Sol Cannon required like 20+ elixirs at around level 19-20

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Koobes posted:

This is Lenna, Princess of Tycoon. She loves animals, and is one of our 4 party members. She also likes to get poisoned for reasons unknown to even us.

for every boss beaten while Lenna is poisoned, I'll donate $0.10, up to a max of $100. How she gets poisoned is up to you.

Run 2 Free Space.

Sadly Siren had Bortz on her shitlist and refused to clasp Lenna again.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

nrook posted:

Legendary Weapon Charity Sale!

In order to raise money for charity, let's all sell the legendary weapons! I'll be donating $0.10 for each of the 12 legendary weapons sold.

I'm sure Omniscient will be glad for the extra company.

8 of the 12 sold. https://imgur.com/jtiTwGA

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

My reward for finally slogging through Sol Cannon with this painful comp was getting Chemist as my final job.

Is it worth trying to take down some Prototypes with the Thief / Berserker / Geomancer / Chemist combo for Dark Matters before I proceed or is that just too painful without a Beastmaster to bother?

edit: And does the Chemist's death mix proc in a way that using a Berserker with a Death Sickle wouldn't?

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 17, 2021

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

My reward for finally slogging through Sol Cannon with this painful comp was getting Chemist as my final job.

Is it worth trying to take down some Prototypes with the Thief / Berserker / Geomancer / Chemist combo for Dark Matters before I proceed or is that just too painful without a Beastmaster to bother?

edit: And does the Chemist's death mix proc in a way that using a Berserker with a Death Sickle wouldn't?

Chemist's mix will hit things with Reflect. Generally the only things with reflect you might (accidentally) use a Death Sickle on are Reflect Knights. It's also autohit, instead of relying on the Magic Accuracy formula with the Doom proc, which is only important against the Seal Guardians.

Also, with the grinding you (probably) had to do with that team, reflect rings (from said knights) should be more than enough; you've got two Dark Matters by that point: enough for the Earth Crystal and Water Crystal. Dragon Plant and Boatgamesh get Death Sickle'd just fine.

Dark Matter is overhyped for fiesta purposes and not at all worth grinding; aside from cheap kills on the Seal Guardians and a blind on Shinryu, the only thing they're good for is defense-piercing damage (if Succubus Kiss isn't doing the numbers) and some shenanigans with using Dark Elixir/Antilixir to ensure Beastmaster !Capture.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 17, 2021

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

One legit Tyrannosaur kill and one CHAOS for the pile.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
Oh yeah, there's a toxx for this, right?

https://twitter.com/blakyoshi7/status/1405391648549335040?s=20

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

StrangeAeon posted:

I pledge $1 for every FULL POWER BRAVE BLADE posted to the thread. Limit of $100

Here ya go!

I didn't even have a class that could use it so I just made bartz a knight long enough to show it off right before I fought tree ned

Speaking of things I did that run I also completed this!

DalaranJ posted:

Last year, I asked you to commit The Perfect Crime. This year, I need you to Attack and Dethrone God(s).
In any run that does not at any time use the Summoner class, collect all the spells in the Summon menu.
Please show, a screenshot of your party's classes, and one of the filled summon menu.
https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1402391976125796354

Here was my team this run and here is my summon menu

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

nrook posted:

Legendary Weapon Charity Sale!

In order to raise money for charity, let's all sell the legendary weapons! I'll be donating $0.10 for each of the 12 legendary weapons sold.

I'm sure Omniscient will be glad for the extra company.

Four weapons sold.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Arrrthritis posted:

For NED, I'll be donating $2 for every downed party member when Neo Ex-Death is defeated. (i.e. if Butz is the only party member standing when NED is defeated, I'll donate $6. Or if you have two members standing I'll donate $4, or $2 if you have three party members standing).
Toxx cap: $100

Sorry, Krile, but at least you ate a couple meteors to the face for charity.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Koobes posted:

for every boss beaten while Lenna is poisoned, I'll donate $0.10, up to a max of $100. How she gets poisoned is up to you.

Guys I'm worried, Lenna has been sick for a long time

edit: more!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 17, 2021

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

StrangeAeon posted:

yes

YES

Real men !Rapid Fire the Brave Blade. gently caress the Chicken Knife.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I got blu/rdm/ranger/sam. Whats the best way to set this up? sam/ranger with X-fight and pop a chicken knife on the ranger? Red mage with blue magic for wind knife+aeroga? No idea what to do with the blue mage secondary except maybe red for utility.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I got blu/rdm/ranger/sam. Whats the best way to set this up? sam/ranger with X-fight and pop a chicken knife on the ranger? Red mage with blue magic for wind knife+aeroga? No idea what to do with the blue mage secondary except maybe red for utility.

Eh, only utility Red brings is raising, which is really whatever IMO.

I'd honestly pop like Shirahadori on them for more defense. Shira + Aegis is really hard to crack.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I used five Dark Matters this Fiesta: one on Twintania when none of my death weapons wanted to proc, and four on Necrophobe’s barriers that reflect them. The Seal Crystals were handled fine with two mini’d zerkers.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Kyrosiris posted:

Eh, only utility Red brings is raising, which is really whatever IMO.

I'd honestly pop like Shirahadori on them for more defense. Shira + Aegis is really hard to crack.

Also Cura for aoe heals.

Dualcast Curas are surprisingly useful for dealing with party attacks when the alternative is having everyone take a round to chug an elixir.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

BisbyWorl posted:

Also Cura for aoe heals.

Dualcast Curas are surprisingly useful for dealing with party attacks when the alternative is having everyone take a round to chug an elixir.

Well, I should've said "only utility that Blue doesn't already have", sorry. White Wind will lift way harder than dual Curas will.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

White Wind relies on the caster having a lot of HP. You can pretty much guarantee that by putting Blue on a Samurai, but then you can't use them for anything else.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

ultrafilter posted:

White Wind relies on the caster having a lot of HP. You can pretty much guarantee that by putting Blue on a Samurai, but then you can't use them for anything else.

So what you're saying is that MNK and BLU isn't that bad, then.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It beats a lot of other jobs you could pair with a Monk.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I counted 38 at least. 12 more to $50!

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Hey y'all! I'm planning on doing a couple of runs this summer. I got Black Mage > Red Mage > Beastmaster > Chemist but I'm thinking of job fairing out the beastmaster for something. Should I keep the Beastmaster, or would there be something better to swap it out for, since I have a potentially blasty team?

Also, I'm trying to find a way to play this on the SNES or an emulator for SNES. I've done every FFV4JF(for charity) on my GBA version, but that's packed up since I'm moving. Are there any 'definitive' roms for the SNES/SFC version relative to the Fiesta?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I like big Bartz and I cannot lie.

Edit: Toxxes! This year I will probably just be doing the T-Rex toxx.

I will donate $5 for every kill of T-Rex in world two that DOES NOT use a Phoenix Down or similar item. Anything goes except something that would kill an undead outright. You can post a video, a screenshot, a tiktok, hell you don't have to do anything but post that you did it.

Limit will be $75.

I think there's enough room for this?

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
Late in the thread for fanart but I found these memories I'd made from previous fiestas and thought I'd share. :shobon:

When I beat Omega for the first time with a drug-powered, rapid-fisting Monk:

MORE DRUGS:

Geomancers are good actually (at least in the library):

Berserk Omniscient knows the most powerful magic:

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Just got my water crystal jobs.

Rolling Blue Mage and Mystic Knight so far.

I feel like not having 'real' magic is going to hurt a lot down the road.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Gray Stormy posted:

Just got my water crystal jobs.

Rolling Blue Mage and Mystic Knight so far.

I feel like not having 'real' magic is going to hurt a lot down the road.

!Blue and !Spellblade are arguably better than "real" magic.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Also frankly, Blue Magic is absolutely "real" magic. It's got it's own line of damage spells, budget fira, a self-heal, an AoE heal, AoE status buffs...it's weaker than Black Mage in terms of like raw damage, but makes up for it in sheer utility. And that's not even getting into all the bosses that Blue Mage can absolutely trivialize with tricks like Death Claw, Dark Spark, Lvl 2 Old, and Lvl 5 Death.

You've seriously got like 2 of the strongest jobs already, I wouldn't sweat it.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
FATBIRB WORLD TOUR 2021 COMPLETE!

So I didn't get every boss... Summoner was my Fire job so I didn't have birbs before that, and I didn't feel like this team could do that well against the superbosses without having to do something stupid and/or tedious.

Still, that's 33 fat fuckin' birbs :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Holy chonk, that’s a lot of chonk.

As for Mystic Knight, they love exploiting elemental weaknesses and status vulnerabilities. The key thing with them is status effects will trigger as long as the actual attack hits, so they can bypass magic evasion. This is why they can laugh and petrify the Almagest part of NED while Black Mage and Summoner need many attempts to get a lucky petrification off (though they don’t really need it with their power). Plus Flare Sword ends up a great general-purpose spell on top of that.