Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If I showed you the list of every show I watch each year that I’ve kept for the last few your head may explode. In 2019 it was close to 200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FreudianSlippers posted:

I usually use GIFcam. It's fairly straightforward. You're basically selecting a part of your screen for it to record and GIFify. Which usually means resizing the video to fit under the gif area and then hit REC until you've got what you want. Then before you save it and convert the captured frames into a gif you can go through and delete anything you don't want

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Mods????

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Assuming that there are at least as many exclusions on that list as inclusions, it must be a lie.

I refuse to believe that any person has watched forty TV comedy series in their entirety - let alone more than that. Just finishing The Office put me off television for years.

You drastically underestimate, or perhaps overestimate, how some people value their time.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You drastically underestimate, or perhaps overestimate, how some people value their time.

Watching the entirety of just Curb Your Enthusiam - nonstop, no pauses - would take around 50 hours. 80 hours for It's Always Sunny. 90 for Seinfeld. 100 hours for The Office. 120 for Friends.

That's well over four hundred hours, to watch just five shows. And these folks are claiming to have watched roughly 8-10 times that for the list.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That's not that weird, particularly for TV critics. If you watch a couple hours of tv a day, that's already over 700 hours/1400 episodes a year, let alone if your entire job is to watch and write about TV. Not to mention most of these shows have been released over the course of decades.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Obviously anecdotal, but the people I know who watch absurd amounts of TV don't actually watch TV, they listen to it while they're doing other things (chores, crafts, light reading, games and puzzles, etc.), so I try to factor that in, both in terms of how much time that makes available and what works well when consumed that way.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

:five:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I briefly forgot the TV show Girls existed, so I thought this tweet was just being jaw droppingly sexist at first.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 17, 2021

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Obviously anecdotal, but the people I know who watch absurd amounts of TV don't actually watch TV, they listen to it while they're doing other things (chores, crafts, light reading, games and puzzles, etc.), so I try to factor that in, both in terms of how much time that makes available and what works well when consumed that way.

Yeah I often think, goddamn where do these people find the time but then you read a thread about anything you’ve watched and find that most of the people who “watched” it absolutely have no idea what happened because they in fact did not

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Watching some of Better Call Saul and The Haunting of Hill House convinced me that modern prestige TV is made to put on in the background while you look at your phone.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

That's well over four hundred hours, to watch just five shows.

Put it this way. 400 hours equals somewhere around 250 films. I know people who watch 3-4 times that amount a year, and they're not getting paid for it. I have no doubt some fans dedicate the same amount of free time to TV sitcoms, even if good taste says they probably shouldn't.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Read any TV-IV thread to see just how little the average person pays attention to whatever they're watching

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Read any TV-IV thread to see just how little the average person pays attention to whatever they're watching

I have accepted that TV/IV is just never going to be a good forum. I can only take so many “ugh this plot hole” complaints that are based 100% on a person not paying attention to a show they hate, but post about 12 times a day.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

Put it this way. 400 hours equals somewhere around 250 films. I know people who watch 3-4 times that amount a year, and they're not getting paid for it. I have no doubt some fans dedicate the same amount of free time to TV sitcoms, even if good taste says they probably shouldn't.

A lot of people have been working from home for the least year and change, which in a lot of cases means the capacity for background TV is way up.

Not that proud of it, but I've watched the entire runs of reality TV shows that wouldn't have been worth a second look in years past.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Watching the entirety of just Curb Your Enthusiam - nonstop, no pauses - would take around 50 hours. 80 hours for It's Always Sunny. 90 for Seinfeld. 100 hours for The Office. 120 for Friends.

That's well over four hundred hours, to watch just five shows. And these folks are claiming to have watched roughly 8-10 times that for the list.

It's really not a big deal if you've just been watching them as they air instead of all at once.

Skwirl posted:

I briefly forgot the TV show Girls existed, so I thought this tweet was just being jaw droppingly sexist at first.

I use to love that show until Lena Dunham bragged about diddling her sister and then it turned out that the character she plays on the show isn't some scathing critique of self important millennials but just what she's really like. At least we got Adam Driver out of it.

Geekboy posted:

I have accepted that TV/IV is just never going to be a good forum. I can only take so many “ugh this plot hole” complaints that are based 100% on a person not paying attention to a show they hate, but post about 12 times a day.

Hey remember how the Breaking Bad thread got so out of hand in response to any of the women on that show that they four letter c-word had to be banned from use? That's why my browsing/posting in TVIV was very short lived.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Watching some of Better Call Saul […] convinced me that modern prestige TV is made to put on in the background while you look at your phone.

wha???

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's not that weird, particularly for TV critics.

well yeah, TV critics are extremely weird

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

A lot of people are really bad at taking in media.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I am which is why I don’t do media criticism lmao. I just talk about how much I like something

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

A lot of people have been working from home for the least year and change, which in a lot of cases means the capacity for background TV is way up.

Not that proud of it, but I've watched the entire runs of reality TV shows that wouldn't have been worth a second look in years past.

I've gotten into Real Housewives, it owns

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I watched several seasons of Ultraman last year.

Not in the background. I gave it my full attention.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Speaking of watching things. If you happen to have and hour and fifty minutes and you're thinking "There's so much to watch. What should I watch?". Why not watch June Movie of the Month, The Sugarland Express?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Speaking of watching things. If you happen to have and hour and fifty minutes and you're thinking "There's so much to watch. What should I watch?". Why not watch June Movie of the Month, The Sugarland Express?

:hmmyes:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But I could watch like five and a half Big Bang Theory episodes in that time!!

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
A lot of you guys are forgetting you can watch stuff at 1.5x or even 2x speed. So 400 hours becomes 200 etc. Easy peasy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Mods??!?!?!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Yeah, I loved Ctzn Kne!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Hoop Dreams posted:

A lot of you guys are forgetting you can watch stuff at 1.5x or even 2x speed. So 400 hours becomes 200 etc. Easy peasy.

Watch them on your smartphone at double speed and you can even do it on the move. So efficient!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you REALLY wanna supercharge it, well...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

You're all monsters. Except MacheteZombie. MacheteZombie knows what's up.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Even the longest running shows can be experienced in full by spending and hour or two on their tvtropes page so I don't see what the big deal is.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Stuck some power into this old thing, just to see if it was still on there.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Geekboy posted:

Yeah the only good threads are the rewatch threads where people actually put effort into their posts. Basically any Jerusalem OPd thread.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

josh04 posted:

Stuck some power into this old thing, just to see if it was still on there.

I appreciate the fact that you put Citizen Kane on your iPod purely so you could make this joke.

That is why you put Citizen Kane on your iPod, right?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Psycho Goreman changed my life

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

That is why you put Citizen Kane on your iPod, right?
Don't ask questions you don't the answers to.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

Even the longest running shows can be experienced in full by spending and hour or two on their tvtropes page so I don't see what the big deal is.

Why would you do this to yourself?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
TV Tropes has its uses, but it's not that. They're probably the most comprehensive sub-genre hub online. Want to find every cyberpunk thing? Every on-screen blob creature? Every homage to 1950s b-movies? You're not gonna find 'em on Wikipedia.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

CelticPredator posted:

Psycho Goreman changed my life

It’s a real trip to watch, that’s for sure. A rock solid conceit, technical proficiency, wonderful visuals, and a script that misses its own point so hard that it’s all jettisoned into a trash fire.

The concept of a child, who is acting out in imitation of her petulant wretch of a father, unearthing a fantastical embodiment of petty egotism and self-serving cruelty, which enables her to go on a power trip, then finding that he is being pursued by a fantastical embodiment of her sanctimonious, controlling mother, is a really strong core idea that’s taken to the next level by combining it with a loving tribute to super sentai and the effects work to do it justice.

But in the actual script, we never see the mother really doing anything all that toxic. The father is a despicable lout that’s treated as if he’s charming and relatable, the daughter that imitates him is characterized as if she is cool and mature for doing so, both of them are vindicated in the end, and fittingly, PG goes back to slaughtering Earth without quarrel.

There’s a strong script in there. The scene where PG realizes that his supposed minions hate him and are living better, healthier lives without him could serve as a point where he might undergo character growth and try to resolve his dispute with the archangel in a new way.

Or, alternatively, witnessing PG and archangel’s endless cycle of strife, itself a mirror of their parents’ domestic problems, could cause the children to cut ties with PG in a manner that resolves their character dilemma as children in a toxic household.

That the movie so obviously misses its own point and allows its characters to relish their own abusive behavior not only compromises the picture’s considerable strengths, but is born out in its lazy, puerile, cruel sense of humor. It’s honestly astounding how this went over the filmmakers’ heads.